Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
962
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,123

Erica

Summary:

"Gil reflects on the loves of his life."

Work Text:

~*~
Before Warrick, I thought I was destined to spend my days alone. Yes, I had friends and plenty of people that loved me, but I had no one to share my true self with. Then Warrick asked me out. What started out as a casual dates, soon grew into something I never expected. Now we have been together for four years, a partnership solidified by our commitment ceremony two years ago. Eleven months after we pledged our love to one another, we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl, Erica Gillian Grissom-Brown. I was amazed at the love and protectiveness I felt for her immediately.

Tina, a childhood friend of Warrick's, had agreed to carry our child for us. She wasn't the biological mother; we had used eggs from an anonymous donor, fertilized by Warrick's sperm. Tina would only allow Warrick in the room during the birth on the condition that, in my nervous state, I stay in the waiting room. So I paced the halls, waiting for word that our daughter was born. Catherine, Nick, and Greg were all there, enjoying seeing me so nervous. Then Warrick came out, a pink bundle of humanity in his arms. "It's a girl, Gil," he said before placing my daughter in my arms. Our daughter. That thought still amazes me.

These years with Warrick have brought me so much more than I could have ever imagined. As we have watched Erica grow and blossom, the love I feel for him has never diminished. Every time I look at Erica, I realize that without him, I wouldn't have the life of happiness I have now. Erica has enriched my life, bringing me joy in abundance, filling an empty spot in my life that I didn't realize was there, and bringing me closer to the man I love. The day she spoke her first word, I cried. She smiled up at me, as I bounced her on my knee, and said "Papa." I was in awe at the emotion I felt at the utterance of that one word. Papa. It was a word I knew that I would never tire of hearing. Then I watched her with Warrick. He was singing to her, as he rocked her back and forth in the nursery. She gazed up at him, her emerald eyes locking with his, and said "Dada". I have never, to this day seen my husband so happy. His entire face was aglow, eyes glistening with tears, as he looked down at our beautiful angel. She held onto his thumb as he continued to sing and rock her to sleep.

Now, as I watch her play in our backyard, I am overcome with emotion. Her presence has bought more people into my life, and brought me closer to the ones that were already there. Catherine and I got closer, which I didn't think was even possible, after Erica's birth. Frantic 3am calls will do that. Nick and Warrick, as close as they already were, have become closer. Nick says he is amazed that someone so small has had such an impact on Warrick. Warrick complains that Nicky spoils her, but Nicky simply tells him that that is what uncles do. The one person that amazed me was Greg. I had always been fond of the young man, but I was amazed at the help he offered us after Erica was born. Seeing us come in, now working on different shifts, he offered to baby-sit for us, just so we could catch up on much needed sleep. I was humbled by his generosity. After that, he has been a constant in Erica's life. Uncle Greggo, as Erica now calls him, never comes to visit empty-handed. I have explained that he doesn't have to buy her presents every time he visits, but he tells me that he enjoys buying her gifts, so I am happy to let him. That explains all the shirts with band logos Erica owns. Jim Brass, on the other hand, is the funniest Uncle of all. He kept Erica for us one evening, telling Warrick and I we need to get out. When we came back, Jim was near tears, and Erica was standing in the portable playpen, bawling her eyes out. He explained that she just didn't like him. No matter what he tried, she wasn't happy. He tried to feed her, she wasn't hungry; tried to change her diaper, she wasn't wet; tried to put her down for a nap, she wasn't sleepy. But that time was worth it, as today, at 3 years old, she loves her Uncle Jimmy.

Everyone is gathered together in our backyard for a barbecue. Catherine and Jim are arguing with Warrick about whether or not we should pierce Erica's ears. I, for one am against it, as is Warrick. Nick is pushing Erica on her swing, laughing as she begs him to push her higher. And Greg is walking towards me, as I sit in the midst of all the activity, with a beer in each hand.

Sitting down next to me, he offers me a beer. "So, Griss, how's it going?"

As I look at all the people around me, I realize how far I have come. I am blessed to have a man who loves me as I am and a beautiful, healthy daughter. Erica is lucky to have so many people that love and care about her in her life, as am I.

"Great, Greg. Everything is going just fine," I reply, glad that we decided to celebrate Aunt and Uncles Day in our backyard.
---THE END---