Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
813
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,060

The Best Laid Plans

Summary:

Fandom: The Sentinel
Status: Finished
Summary: It isn't only young girls who dream about that special day.
Disclaimer: Do not own concept or characters. Do not profit or seek profit. Am too broke to make suing worth the effort.
Notes: Written for the My Mongoose Ezine Moonridge 2006 edition. Timed out.
Rating: Family friendly (unless the very idea of gayness bothers you)
Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Best Laid Plans
by Scribe

"Tuxedos."

Jim lowered the newspaper he was reading far enough to peer over it at his roommate. "If that's what you want, I'd have to get a rental. I'm not buying one."

Blair stopped scribbling on a notepad to look up at him. "I thought you had a tux?"

"Had is the operative word. Remember that stakeout I did at the charity ball last month?"

"Yeah?"

"Remember how I ran into the refreshment table chasing the perp?"

"Do I? That photo of you putting the guy in handcuffs, covered by... Oh."

"Red punch is not forgiving."

"I guess your dark suit would be all right."

Jim's lips quirked slightly. "What color cummerbund would I need?"

"Black, white, red. Just a basic color, but it would need to match your boutineer."

"How about the bouquet?"

"Hah hah. Very funny, Ellison. Maybe I should carry a pair of handcuffs down the aisle."

Jim wiggled his eyebrows. "Might make the wedding night more interesting."

Blair raised a fist, but he was grinning. "Who do you want for best man, as if I don't know."

"Simon. You hardly needed to ask that. How about you? Any attendants?"

"Naomi would skin us both alive if she didn't get to give me away. And I'd kind of like Megan to stand up with me, if she would."

"She'll smack you silly if you don't ask. And I think she'd be the one to want to throw a bachelor party. But the problem is, would I go, would you go, or would we both go? And if we both went, would we be obligated to get jealous of the stripper?"

"Who says there'd be a stripper?"

"Blair, you're talking about a party that Megan would be planning."

"Gotcha. Indoor, or outdoor? The Quad at Ranier is beautiful in autumn."

"I thought you wanted a June wedding." Blair shrugged. "William might be able to get us a room at his country club. They're trying to promote themselves as liberal."

"They have a big dance floor, don't they? I'd love a chance to dance with you in public. Don't roll your eyes at me. You dance very well, and remember--I let you lead."

"But I know you. You'd try to get me to rhumba or hustle, or God help me, Macarena."

"I'm not that cruel. Double ring ceremony, naturally."

"Naturally. But I don't want to write my own vows."

"Why not? You can be very articulate when you want to."

Jim lowered the paper even farther. "Because what I feel about you is pretty much beyond expression, Sandburg. I can talk to you about it because you understand me. You've gotten past the image and expectations. But if I tried to say it out loud in front of a crowd, I don't think I could do it justice. It would come out sounding like a Hallmark card."

Blair had been sitting at the other end of the sofa. Now he scooted over and leaned in to kiss Jim. "I happen to like Hallmark cards, but I see your point. And there's much to be said for traditional rituals."

Jim folded down the paper, reaching out to cup the back of Blair's head so he could kiss him more firmly. "And none of that hippie thump-thump music. I want the traditional wedding march and recessional."

"Only if I get to pick the song for our first dance."

"All right, but if you pick something other than a slow dance..." Blair was staring at the paper Jim held, and his expression had gone from whimsical pleasure to frozen. "Blair?"

Blair ripped the paper off the notepad and wadded it into a ball. "Never mind, Jim. I shouldn't be wasting time daydreaming when I need to grade papers."

Jim grabbed Blair's hand as he started to stand up. "Blair, I'll offer again. Let me take some vacation days, and we can run up to Canada. Hell, we're practically on the border, it wouldn't be..."

"No, Jim." Blair's voice was soft. "I don't want to elope, okay? Now, please let me go do my work."

Jim released Blair and watched him go into his room. After a moment he turned the paper around and looked at what was on the other side. His face twisted in anger, and he wadded the paper up, ripping it, then went to stuff it in the trash, but he couldn't erase what had been there from his memory.

//*You Don't Exist* That's what an unnamed source in the upper level of Washington politics told a gay couple who appealed to him to take action to legalize same sex unions. Though civil legislation has assured same sex couples of the same rights in such things as insurance and protection from discrimination, the government still does not legally recognize gay marriages, either civil or religious...//

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Scribe.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.