Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,149
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
780

Reflections

Summary:

28 September 1999
Notes: Call this a mood piece, as nostalgia sweeps over me tonight and I remember what has gone before and what has been lost. Dreams that were once everything that have become impossible. Friends once held dear gone in the mysteries of time as I wonder, just what happened, to that little girl of not so long ago.
Disclaimer: The characters and situations contained within are the property of Universal/Amblin Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Reflections
by Nicole Mayer

"It's everything I dreamed it would be," Devon said softly as she looked down to the beach of New Pacifica. They were there. Her heart felt as if it would burst with the pure elation and relief of the moment. New Pacifica, after so long?

Danziger glanced back at her, a warm smile on his face. "We made it, Devon." He did not join the rest of the group racing ahead, preferring to look backwards over the great distance they had conquered. An amazing journey, a journey finally over.

A bird overhead cried victory as it watched the strange invaders race down the sandy hill, laughing, shouting, and not stopping when the waves raced up to grasp them by the ankles. True and Uly were at the forefront of the group and quickly drenched each other by picking up handfuls of the salty water.

Gingerly dipping his toes into the ocean, Morgan asked, "Are you sure it's safe?" of anyone who would listen. He inhaled deeply, trying to understand the new scents of seaweed mixed with the sea's own perfume which flew by on the wind. Suddenly a great shove came from behind and he ended up sprawled face-first in the water, Bess's mirthful giggles bringing a reluctant smile to his face.

Denner reached down and scooped the water up and over her arms, relishing the wetness after so many months and miles of drought. A mischievous smile crept over her face as she realised that Walman was just to her left and looked far too dry for his own good. She bent down and cupped her hands together, taking careful aim.

Julia allowed Alonzo to dunk her repeatedly, laughing freely. This was a day she'd never thought would arrive, a day she could never have imagined with such happiness. Alonzo pulled her up from the water into his arms and a searing kiss, which she returned with fervour. When they finally broke apart, he whispered, "Marry me, Julia."

Even Yale was not immune to the joy passing through the weary travellers and he allowed himself to be tugged knee-deep into the frothy waves. He smiled and surveyed his friends, noticing that not everyone was present. He looked back to the top of the hill, seeing two vague figures, and squinted into the sunlight.

Magus, harbouring no particular desire to get wet, merely touched the water once to see if it was real and then took on a much more important task: marking their arrival. A piece of driftwood quickly proved to be a more than adequate implement with which to sketch bold large letters across the beach. "Eden Advance was here!"

The joyous look in Julia's eyes was the only response Alonzo needed as he whirled his new fiancee around in the water. He kissed her over and over again, not even hearing the cheers and whistles emanating from Baines and company. For the first time, Alonzo knew exactly where his future lay. A giddy sense of bewilderment threatened to overcome him before he realised that even if he did feel lost, Julia would always be there.

Baines realised that the happy couple wasn't paying attention to him anyway and gave up on trying to make Alonzo embarrassed. He instead concentrated on Denner and Walman already involved in a water fight which was just about to get a whole lot wilder. With a whoop, Baines threw aside any lurking fears of the ocean and plunged right on in.

He sat quietly by the water's edge, closing his eyes and opening his heart to the spirits of the world around him. Mazatl breathed as he connected himself to the earth and the ocean, thanking his ancestors for the safe journey and as he did, he could feel a presence?.

Uly could hear the singing of the Terrians distantly in his mind. They shared his joy as he had shared theirs in the past. It was good to know that they were connected even at the edge of the sea. Uly now knew that the Terrians would always be with him, in the past, the present, and the future. He trilled softly under his breath before returning to dancing out of the waves' way.

Sighing in contentment, Walman seated herself in the water's shallows, luxuriating in the feeling of so much water - and untainted water at that - gently curling around his body. He half-heartedly scrubbed at the dirt that had almost become ingrained into his skin during the long journey, before realising he had the rest of his life to get clean. It was so peaceful sitting there that Walman decided he could almost fall asleep.

Bess paused in her jubilation to take in the amazing vista around her. It was a thousand times more beautiful than the dead oceans of Earth and Bess uttered a short prayer of thankfulness, for both the safe journey and the beauty of her new home. A trickle of water was poured down her neck and Bess instinctively reached back for Morgan, pulling him into her arms and kissing him deeply. She had never been happier.

Zero trudged back and forwards along the water's edge, noting landmarks, taking temperature readings, and making a commemorative recording of Eden Advance's arrival. The robot made sure to focus on each person in turn, swinging around for the final recording on the hill.

Having squealed so much she didn't think she had any voice left at all, True finally paused to take a breath. Someone was missing. "Hey Dad!" she yelled, waving madly at her father who had yet to leave the final hill. "Coming?"

Danziger heard his daughter's call and sighed. It was time to go. He leaned forwards to place a gentle kiss on Devon's lips. "Goodbye, Devon," he said softly. He turned, only to be stopped by the barest sensation of a hand on his arm.

"Where are you going?" Devon asked, confused. She tried to take a step forward but her body refused to move past the rim of the final hill which lay between her and New Pacifica. "I want to come too!"

"I'm so sorry, Devon," he whispered again, his voice betraying a slight tremble. "I could only bring you so far. I had to let you know that we made it. We made it because of you."

And then she understood, as Danziger walked away from her to join his living friends celebrating the end of their journey. A journey she was no longer a part of. The strings which tied her to the endless sleep suddenly tightened, and she was pulled back, back from the hill, until she could see nothing of the ocean, or her son, or Danziger, or her friends, she could see nothing but the cold emptiness of the cold sleep chamber in the middle of the desert a thousand miles away.

End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nicole Mayer.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.