Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
10,881
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
961

Separated (Slash Version)

Summary:

NOTE: After much thought, I've decided to post this story online.
While trying to deal with the physical and emotional damage inflicted during a case, Jim and Blair's recovery is hampered when Jim is forced to accept an undercover assignment.
Heavy Smarm.
(WARNING: Violence, death of OCs.)
Submitted through the Blair Oooowies Fic,
Blair Oooowies Gen Fic,
sentinel_fic,
SenseXangst mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Separated (Slash Version)
By KAM

Already running late, Blair begged, "Please don't do this to me," when he tried to start his car and nothing happened. Oh man, I can not believe this, he thought as he banged his head against the steering wheel. Jim is already going to be pissed as it is. No way am I gonna call and have him come pick me up. Lifting his head, he glanced around Rainier's parking lot. Hoping to find a familiar face, he grinned when he spotted someone that he knew. Getting out of the Volvo, he yelled, "Hey, Nikki!"

Several cars down, a young blonde-headed woman turned and looked Blair's way. "Hi, Blair," she greeted as Blair ran up to her.

Panting slightly, Blair pleaded, "Nikki, I need a huge favor."

An expression of fond exasperation on her face, the young woman shook her head. "Okay, where do you need to go?"

"Hey, how did you -"

"Please, Blair," Nikki interrupted, a huge smile on her face, "that car of yours is legendary around here." She gestured towards the passenger side. "Just hop in."

"Thanks, Nikki." As he got into the car, he said, "I really appreciate this."

Once they were both in the car, Nikki turned to Blair. "So where to?"

"The police station." Blair let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm supposed to meet with Jim and I'm already running late."

"Well he should be used to that by now, shouldn't he?" Nikki teased, well aware of Blair's habit of running late. "I still don't understand why you won't just give in and get a watch."

"That's just so... I don't know..."

"Grown-up?"

Blair glanced askance at her. "No. Too restrictive."

"Somehow, I doubt Jim would buy that line."

"Hey, it's all in how you sell it." Blair smirked. "But you're right. That doesn't mean that I won't hear about it."

Laughing, Nikki started the car and pulled out of the parking spot. "Except for in class, I haven't seen a lot of you lately," she remarked. "What have you been up to?"

"Nothing much. Just this and that, you know. The usual." Blair shrugged his shoulders. "Classes, grading papers -"

"Crime busting."

"Hey, I leave that to Jim. I do what all good sidekicks do."

"And that is?"

"Stand around looking cool. Oh, and of course come to the rescue and save the day by coming up with some mind boggling, genius plan at the last minute thereby narrowly averting certain disaster."

After a few seconds of silence, they both burst out laughing.

Gasping, trying to get herself under control, Nikki asked, "J... Just how long did it take you to come up with that one?"

"Are you kidding? That's one of my best lines. The ladies just eat it up."

Nikki snorted. "Yeah, right. The only one you want to do some eating is J -"

"Whoa, Nikki. Don't even think of finishing that sentence."

"You still haven't told him, have you?"

"I'm still alive aren't I?" Blair reached up and tucked several strands of hair behind his ear as he turned to look out the window. "There's no way that he feels the same way. Why risk ruining our friendship? I don't want to lose him completely. As long as he's in my life, that's all that I need."

"Oh, Blair, you really should say something. I've seen the way Jim looks at you. He really -"

Feeling uncomfortable, Blair cut Nikki off. "Hey, have you seen Jake lately? We were supposed to hook up last night, but he never showed."

"Blair..." Choosing not to finish whatever she was going to say, she instead answered, "I ran into him at the library last week. But other than that, I haven't seen much of him. Seems like the three of us don't hang out nearly as often as we used to."

"I know what you mean. We've all been so busy lately, seems like we don't have time left for anything else."

"Not to mention the fact that you haven't exactly been too visible on campus lately," Nikki replied, a hint of censure in her voice. "You're hardly around at all anymore."

"Well, I've been spending a lot of time at the station." Blair defended his actions.

"I still don't understand how you do that."

"What?"

"Living in two different worlds the way that you do," Nikki elaborated. "I mean, it seems like the differences between life on campus and life at a police station would be kind of overwhelming sometimes."

"Sometimes it is," Blair confessed. "But it's gotten easier over time."

Nikki shrugged. "I just don't think that I would ever be able to do that. I guess that I'm just not cut out for police work."

Blair turned in the seat until he was facing Nikki. "When I first started working with the police, I had my doubts. But I hung in there and now I wouldn't want my life to be any other way."

"How did you do it though?" When Blair gave her a puzzled look, she added, "Keep with it, I mean."

"Jim," Blair answered without hesitation. "He really helped me a lot. I've learned a lot from him since we met. And it's just nice, you know. Helping people, making sure that the bad guys get caught and punished. It's a whole different sense of satisfaction than the one I get from teaching."

After pulling up in front of the station, Nikki turned to Blair. "I'm really glad that you're doing okay, Blair. I'm glad that you've had someone to help you adjust to all the changes in your life. There have been times that I've been worried about you." The young woman studied the man sitting beside her. "All those times you've showed up hurt, especially that time you were shot. I just want you to be okay. I don't like the thought of you being put in danger like that." Laying her hand on Blair's arm, she added, "I care about you, Blair."

"I care about you too, Nik." Blair reached over and gave her a hug.

Nikki returned the hug. "Just don't forget that you've got other friends too. Ones that supported you and were there for you long before you started hanging out with cops. I guess what I'm trying to say is that ... well, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too," Blair replied as he released the young woman. "Look, how about we get together this weekend? Go out clubbing or to a movie?"

"Sounds good." Nikki smiled. "I'd love to."

"Great." Blair returned the smile. "I'll give you a call later."

"Okay. Bye."

Blair got out of the car, then leaned over to look at Nikki. "Bye."

Nikki waved and then started the car.

For a few seconds, Blair stood and watched after Nikki's car as his friend drove away. Glancing over his shoulder at the police station, he wondered, Has my life changed all that much since I started riding with Jim? Have I changed all that much? Looking off in the direction Nikki had gone, he thought, Maybe I should start spending some more time at the university. But, that would mean leaving Jim out on the streets alone and I don't want that to happen. I don't want to risk him zoning and getting hurt. Confused, still pondering Nikki's words, Blair went into the police station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On his way up to Major Crime, Blair hitched his backpack higher on his shoulder. Deep in thought he didn't hear the door open as someone got onto the elevator. Becoming aware of someone shaking his shoulder, he looked up to find Henri Brown standing next to him. Looking past the detective, Blair saw Rafe, who was giving him a concerned look.

"What?" Blair glanced between the two detectives. "Did you say something, H?"

"Yeah, I did," Brown replied. "I asked how things are going. But I guess I should have asked if you're okay. What's up, Hairboy? It seemed like you were a million miles away."

"Everything is fine," Blair reassured the two worried men. "Just thinking is all."

"Must have been some pretty interesting thoughts," Brown remarked, sharing a brief look with his partner.

Not wanting the two detectives to think that anything was wrong, Blair pasted a grin on his face. "Oh, yeah." Voice lowered, he smirked as he added, "I was just thinking about my date for tomorrow night."

 

"Date?" Rafe asked, sounding interested. "With who?"

"This TA over at Rainier."

When Rafe started to ask something else, Brown cut in, "Oh no. I've heard plenty about your love life, Hairboy. If she's anything like that one date of yours, I hope Jim has some bail money lined up."

"You guys are never going to let me hear the end of that, are you?"

Remaining silent for several seconds, acting as if he were thinking about Blair's question, Brown suddenly smiled and said, "Nope."

Laughing, Blair forgot Nikki's words for the moment. "How are things with you guys?"

"Same old, same old," Henri answered.

"You meeting up with Ellison?" Rafe asked.

"Yeah," Blair confirmed, "and I'm sure that he has a stack of paperwork waiting for me." Still smiling and laughing softly, Blair exited the elevator only to run into a solid, hard chest.

Jim reached up and steadied Blair. "Not so fast, Chief. We've got a body." After Henri and Rafe got out of the elevator, Jim turned Blair around. Then he gave his partner a little push back into the elevator. "Let's go."

Amused at the antics of the two men, Rafe and Brown exchanged a quick smile.

"See ya later, guys," Blair called out to the bemused detectives just as the door closed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they arrived in the parking garage and started to walk over to the truck, Jim asked, "Hey, where's the Volvo? I don't see it anywhere."

"Oh, well, you see -"

"Let me guess," Jim interrupted. "That 'classic' of yours refused to start again."

"She's just being a little bit temperamental is all."

"That thing has been 'temperamental' ever since you bought it," Jim replied. "On our way home tonight, we'll swing by Rainier and I'll take at look at it for you."

Blair gave Jim a huge, blinding smile. "Thanks, Jim."

Unable to help himself, Jim smiled back. "Hey, it beats having to chauffeur your ass all over town."

Blair simply rolled his eyes and followed after his friend. Once they were in the truck, he asked, "Okay, so what's up?"

Glancing over at Blair, Jim started the truck and then pulled out of the parking garage. "Dispatch just got a call from a patrolman," he explained. "Seems the guy was walking his beat when he heard some kids screaming."

"Kids?" Blair paled slightly. "Oh man, Jim, please don't tell me -"

"It isn't a kid, Chief," Jim interrupted, his voice soft. .

"Thank God." Blair sighed in relief. "I mean, it's bad that someone's dead and all; but, when it's a kid, I..."

"I understand, Blair. I feel the same way. Don't beat yourself up, okay? You're just feeling the same thing that any of us would. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way." Shifting in his seat, uncomfortable with his protective feelings towards the younger man, Jim cleared his throat. "So... um... the kids were playing at Thompson Park and -"

Trying to control his own raging emotions, Blair said, "Thompson Park? That's close to Rainier."

Shooting Blair an irritated look, Jim sarcastically replied, "Really."

Looking somewhat sheepish, Blair apologized, "Sorry, Jim. I won't interrupt again."

Jim gave Blair a disbelieving look. "Yeah, like I'm gonna believe that. Anyway, like I was saying, the kids were playing at the park when they stumbled upon our vic." Glancing at Blair, he was silent for a moment. "Look, Chief, I want you to be prepared. From what the patrolman reported, the guy was pretty badly beaten."

"I can handle it, Jim," Blair insisted.

"I know you can, Chief, I just wanted to give you a heads up is all. Let's go see what we can find out."

"Thanks," Blair replied. "For wanting to warn me, I mean. I really appreciate you looking out for me."

Keeping his eyes averted, Jim shrugged. "Whatever." After a few seconds of silence, Jim looked over at Blair again. "Look, if this is bothering you then you can stay in the truck. I can examine the body on my own."

"What?" Blair turned to look at Jim. "Oh, no, it's fine. I told you that I can handle it."

"Okay, if that's not bothering you, then what is?"

"What makes you think that something is bothering me?"

"Besides the fact the you were silent for a whole ten seconds, you mean?" Jim joked. When Blair didn't smile, Jim sobered. "I can tell that something is bothering you. So what's wrong? Did something happen at Rainier today?"

"Well... um...." Blair hesitantly began. "Jim, do you think that I've changed?"

"Changed?" Jim inquired. "You're gonna have to be a little bit more specific here, Sandburg."

"Since we first met," Blair clarified. "Do you think that I changed a lot since we first met?"

"I don't know. Some, I guess. Why do you ask?"

"When the Volvo wouldn't start, I caught a ride with Nikki..." Blair started to explain.

"Nikki? She's that blonde, isn't she? The one I met in your office that one time."

"Yeah," Blair confirmed. "Anyway, Nikki and I, we've known each other for a while and she said something to me today. Something that got me to thinking."

"Uh oh," Jim teased.

"I'm serious here, man." Blair began to fool with his seatbelt. "She... um... She said that I haven't been spending a lot of time at the university lately and that she misses me. I kind of got the impression that she thinks I've been ignoring her and my other friends there." He paused for a moment before continuing. "I know that I haven't exactly had as much free time since I started riding with you, but I really never thought that I was neglecting people."

"Sandburg, you haven't been neglecting anyone." Jim wanted to reassure the younger man. "I mean, sure you've changed some since we met. So have I. But I know you, and one thing that will never change is the way you treat other people. When someone comes to you for help, you drop everything and do whatever you can for them; and if this Nikki is ever in trouble, you'd probably be the first one there to bail her out. That's what's important, Chief. Being there when someone needs you; and that's something about you that I know will never change."

Surprised by Jim's words, not to mention the fact that the detective had actually said them, Blair simply stared at Jim.

"Well what do you know," Jim observed, "a speechless Sandburg." Smiling, he added, "The guys at the station will never believe this."

Shaking his head, Blair returned Jim's smile.

"Here we are," Jim stated as he parked the truck. "Let's go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As they walked over to the park, they immediately spotted the patrolman. After indicating for Blair to follow him, Jim approached the officer. Holding up his badge, he announced, "Detective Jim Ellison, Major Crime." Gesturing towards Blair, he added, "This is my associate, Blair Sandburg." He put away his badge then looked expectantly at the officer.

"I'm Officer Walter Whitman, Sir."

Jim nodded in greeting. "And what have you got?"

"Well," the young, obviously nervous officer began, "I was walking my beat when I heard some screaming. When I arrived at the scene, I found a group of children gathered around the body."

"Did you touch the body?"

"Just to confirm that the guy was dead," Whitman answered. "Then I cordoned off the area and reported in to dispatch."

"Good job," Jim praised.

Whitman swelled with pride. "Thank you, Sir."

"Now, how about you keep these spectators back while I conduct my investigation," Jim suggested. After the officer had left, Jim turned to Blair. "You're with me, Chief." Without bothering to see if Blair was following him, Jim went over and knelt down beside the body. Reaching over, he pulled back the cover to reveal the victim.

"Oh my God," Blair gasped as the body came into view.

Jim glanced over his shoulder. "Sandburg?"

"I know that guy, Jim." Blair was extremely pale and shaking slightly. "He is ... was ... a friend of mine. We even had plans to meet last night but he never showed up. Oh, man, I should have known that something was wrong, Jake would have never just stood me up like that. I tried calling him; but when I couldn't get an answer, I just figured that he got involved with something and forgot. "

Jim draped the cover back over the bruised and battered face. "When were you supposed to meet?"

"Um... at about ten o'clock last night." Blair shook his head, trying to clear away the shock. "We were just going to go out to a club or something. Nothing major, so I really didn't think too much of it when he didn't show. Besides, I... um... I was going to try and get out of going out anyway." Eyes downcast, Blair said, "I... I had a lot of work to do, so I was planning on blowing it off myself. I figured we could always go out another time. Guess I was wrong, huh?"

 

Chapter 2

When Jim and Blair got back to the station, they reported in to Simon. After entering the captain's office, they took a seat. Declining the captain's offer of coffee, they remained silent while Simon poured himself a cup.

Simon sat at his desk and took a sip of the hot liquid before looking over at Jim and Blair. "So what do you have?"

Jim glanced over at Blair before answering. "Our victim has been identified as Jake Smith."

"How did you ascertain the identification?"

"Actually, sir, Sandburg knew the victim."

Looking over at Sandburg and receiving a slight nod from the younger man, Simon let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, Sandburg. How did you know him?"

"Um... he went to Rainier. I had him in one of my Anthro 101 classes a few years ago and we became friends. He was a good guy and he didn't deserve to die like that."

Remembering Blair's behavior when investigation Roy Williams' death, Simon asked, "Am I going to have to pull you off of this investigation?"

A determined expression on his face, Blair was adamant when he replied. "No, Captain. I want to be in on this. Whoever did this, whoever killed Jake, I want them caught. And I need to help do that." Seeing Simon's questioning look, Blair explained, "Like I already told Jim, Jake and I were supposed to meet last night but he never showed up. I guess... I just... If I had just been more concerned last night then maybe he would still be alive right now."

"Come on, Blair, you can't think like that." Sympathizing with the younger man, Jim attempted to assuage his guilt. "We have no way of knowing when Jake died. Odds are, nothing you could have done would have changed anything. This isn't your fault and you can't beat yourself up over his death."

"It just... Well I guess after what Nikki said this morning... This is just hitting me hard, you know?"

Glancing over Simon, Jim saw his captain mouth the word 'Nikki'. Jim shook his head and mouthed back, 'later'. Then, turned his attention back to Blair. "Sandburg -"

"I'm okay," Blair interrupted. "I'm fine, really. Can we just get back to Jake's death?"

"All right," Simon agreed. "What else have you found out so far?"

"Not a whole lot," Jim replied. "Besides knowing that he was bea... Besides knowing the cause of death, we don't have much to go on so far."

"What about you, Sandburg?"

"What?"

"Well, you knew the victim so what all can you tell us about him? Surely you can give us something to go on. Help us out here."

Knowing how much this death was affecting his partner, Jim said, "Give him a break, Captain."

"Jim..." Simon began in a warning tone.

"It's all right, Jim," Blair reassured, effectively cutting Simon off. Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair "What would you like to know?"

Before Simon could say anything, Jim asked, "Well, you said that you met when he attended one of your classes, right?" He received a small nod in reply. "So how did the two of you become friends?"

"Jim, I really don't think -"

"Hey, at this point any information is useful, sir," Jim said, earning a scowl from his captain. "Go ahead, Chief."

"When class first started, Jake did really well," Blair explained. "He got A's on every paper, every test; he was one of the best students in the class. But after a while, his work deteriorated. He started getting D's and F's. So one day I confronted him about it. At first, he tried to blow me off, but eventually he started telling me what was going on. He told me about..."

"About what?"

"His family." Blair looked over at Jim. "See, Jake had an older brother named Mike, who got into a lot of trouble. He got mixed up with the wrong crowd. Eventually he started using and selling drugs." Looking down at the floor again, Blair continued, "Jake told me that it caused a lot of problems in the family. They were all put through a lot. But, unfortunately, the worst was still to come."

"He died, didn't he?" Jim said when Blair fell silent.

Eyes still downcast, Blair nodded. "One day, Jake showed up at my office and right away I knew something horrible had happened. It took a while, but I finally got the whole story out of him."

"What happened, Sandburg?" The question came from Simon this time.

"Mike... he ... um ... he..." Blair stammered. Clearing his throat, he tried again. "Mike was found in an alley. He'd overdosed on heroin. According to Jake, when Mike's body was discovered the needle was still protruding from his arm. Man, Mike's death nearly tore the family apart. Jake and I, we talked a lot after that. He was dealing with a lot of grief and guilt and I offered to listen whenever he needed someone to talk to. After a while though, we kind of drift apart. I think that maybe Jake associated me with his brother's death, you know, because we talked about it so much. I guess he needed some distance from me in order to get over it. We did keep in touch. We just didn't get together as often."

"Since you did know him so well, you should have some idea as to who we need to talk to," Simon stated. "Relatives, friends, people like that."

"Yeah," Jim agreed. "We need to find out everything that we can. Maybe, just maybe, we can find some kind of motive for this killing."

"I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll do what I can."

Jim reached over and laid a hand on Blair's shoulder. "At this point, anything will help. Anything you can tell us, might give us a lead."

"Well, I guess we should start with his parents then," Blair suggested. "Man, I feel so sorry for them; losing both of their sons."

Jim looked over at Simon. "Have they been informed yet?"

"Not yet," Simon answered. "I thought you'd like to be the one to tell them. Gauge their reaction."

"Gauge their reaction? What's that supposed to mean?" Seeing Simon and Jim exchange a look, Blair demanded, "What's up?"

"Chief," Jim began. "Um... look... you know how it goes. Until we have something to go on, everyone is a suspect."

"Come on, Jim, you really don't think that the Smiths had something to do with Jake's death?" Blair tone was incredulous. "There's no way, Jim! That's not possible!"

"Anything is possible," Jim countered.

"Not that," Blair insisted. "You're totally in the wrong here, Jim!"

"Look, I'm not saying that they're involved." Jim attempted to calm Blair. "For all we know, this guy got mixed up in the same kind of stuff as his brother. We could be looking at a drug deal that went bad."

Angered by the suggestion that his friend had become mixed up with drugs, Blair exclaimed, "I don't believe you! Didn't you just hear what I said? How could you even think that Jake would get mixed up in that? I knew him, Jim, and I'm telling you that there's no way in hell Jake would get involved with drugs. He wouldn't do that, man. He wouldn't!"

"You can't just automatically rule out the possibility." When Blair started to say something, Jim held up a hand. "Look, all I'm saying is that we have to be open to any possibilities, no matter what our personal feelings happen to be."

"I know, Jim. 'Check your emotions at the door', right? Well, I just hope that you remember it and don't jump to any conclusions. I know Jake and I know the kind of person he is ... was. Trust me, he was one of the good guys."

"Like I said before, Sandburg, people change." Jim referred back to their earlier conversation.

"But not Jake; at least, not about something like that."

"We'll see." Jim turned to Simon. "We'll go inform the parents and ask them some questions."

"Jim, we're gonna go tell them that their son is dead. It is going to tear them up, and you're not going to immediately start giving them the third degree."

"I'm going to do my job, Chief," Jim replied, his tone hard. "If that means asking this guy's parents some questions, then I'm gonna ask them some questions. If that's going to be a problem for you, then you need to stay here."

"I'm going," Blair insisted. "The Smiths are going to need someone there to comfort them and I intend to help them any way I possibly can."

"Just as long as it doesn't interfere with this investigation," Jim warned.

"It won't, Jim."

"Then let's get going." Addressing Simon, Jim said, "We'll check in as soon as we get back."

"All right," Simon agreed. "Let's just hope that the Smiths can provide some answers."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On their way to the Smiths' home, Blair was being uncharacteristically quiet. Concerned for his partner, Jim said, "Look, Sandburg, I'm not going to go in there and start bombarding them with questions. I do have a little bit more tact than that. I do need to question them; but I promise not to cause them any more pain than is absolutely necessary."

"Are you... are you going to tell them?" Blair asked. "About Jake, I mean. Because if you want, I could... Well, it might be better..."

Although proud of the younger man for offering, Jim didn't want to put him through that kind of ordeal. "It's okay. I'll tell them."

Blair released the breath he had been holding. "That's a relief. I mean, I would have done it but I don't think that I'd handle it very well."

"Well, like I said, I'll tell them. After all, it won't be the first time; and odds are, it won't be the last."

"Does it ever get any easier?"

"Telling them?" Jim inquired. Seeing Blair's nod, he said, "It's never easy, Chief, but you get used to it. I guess, you learn to be immune to it after a while."

"I don't know that I'd want to. Be immune to it, I mean."

"Sometimes, that's the only way you can keep doing the job," Jim reasoned.

"That whole 'check your emotions at the door' thing again, huh?"

"Yeah. Sometimes you have to push all of your emotions to the side until the job is done. Then, if you're lucky, you can deal with it."

"And if you're not lucky?"

"Then..." Jim began. "Well, then is the time to start looking for a new job. That or either you end of self-destructing."

"Hey, Jim?"

"Yeah?"

"You're a pretty lucky guy, aren't you?"

Glancing over at Blair, Jim slowly answered, "Yeah. I guess that I'd say I'm a pretty lucky guy. Luckier than most, anyway."

Staring straight ahead, Blair said, "I'm glad."

Looking over at Blair, seeing the small, though somewhat sad, smile on the younger man's face, Jim though, So am I, Chief. Though I don't know how I ever got lucky enough to find you. You're the reason I haven't self-destructed. Jim shook his head and then turned his attention back to the street.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling up in front of the Smiths' house, Jim turned off the truck and then laid a hand on Blair's shoulder. Squeezing slightly, he said, "We're here."

"Guess we better get this over with, huh?"

"Yeah."

After they had walked up to the front door, Jim knocked. While they waited for someone to answer the door, he turned to Blair. "Just follow my lead, okay?"

"Sure, Jim," Blair replied as the door opened.

Peering around the door, a woman hesitantly asked, "Can I help you?"

Pulling out his badge, Jim inquired, "Are you Mrs. Smith?"

"Yes, I am."

"Tell me, Mrs. Smith, do you have a son named Jake?"

"Yes," Mrs. Smith replied, beginning to sound worried. "Why? Has something happened? Jake is okay, isn't he?"

"Actually, Mrs. Smith, that's why we're here."

"We?" Mrs. Smith asked, having not noticed Blair yet.

"Yes, we," Jim replied. "I'm Detective Jim Ellison and this is -"

"Blair?" The woman interrupted. "Is that you?"

Blair stepped out from behind Jim. "Yes, it's me, Mrs. Smith. How have you been doing?"

"Just trying to get through each day."

"I know how that is," Blair replied, his voice soft. "Um... may we come in and talk to you and Mr. Smith?"

"Of course." Mrs. Smith stepped back and opened the door wider. "Please come in."

After they were inside, Mrs. Smith escorted them to the living room where her husband sat reading a book.

"Will?" Mrs. Smith called out as they entered the room. "We have some visitors." When her husband looked up from his book, she gestured towards Jim. "This is Detective Jim Ellison and, of course, you remember Blair Sandburg."

Rising from his chair, Mr. Smith walked over to the two men and held out his hand. "Of course, I remember Blair. How have you been?"

Blair shook Mr. Smith's hand. "Fine."

Jake's father looked over at Jim. "What brings the two of you here?"

Jim glanced over at Blair before answering. "Like I told your wife, we came to talk to you about your son."

"What is it?" Mr. Smith asked as his wife came over to stand next to him. He put his arm around his wife's shoulders. "Has something happened?"

"Mr. Smith, Mrs. Smith, I'm afraid that I have some bad news for you..." Jim began.

"He's dead, isn't he?" Mrs. Smith's voice was choked with emotion. "My baby is dead, isn't he?"

"Mrs. Smith -"

"Just tell us!" Mr. Smith exclaimed. "Tell us about our son!"

"Your son was found in Thompson Park earlier today," Jim stated, his voice emotionless.

"Is he alive?" Mrs. Smith hopeful tone caused Blair to wince.

Noticing the movement, Jim took a step closer to Blair. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but..."

Sobbing, Mrs. Smith cried out, "He's dead! Jake is dead!"

Catching his wife as she started to collapse, Mr. Smith glanced up at Jim. Seeing the detective nod, he asked, "How can this be?" Cradling his wife, he pleaded, "Tell me it isn't true, Blair. Please tell me that this isn't true."

Feeling helpless, Blair glanced at Jim before going over to the grieving parents. "I'm so sorry," he said as he helped Mr. Smith guide Mrs. Smith over to the couch.

"How?" Mr. Smith demanded. "Tell me how my boy died."

"He was murdered," Jim bluntly answered. "He was..." Jim looked over at Mrs. Smith then turned to Mr. Smith again. "He was beaten to death. Look, I'm sorry to have to do this right now; but I really need to ask you some questions."

Looking up, one hand holding his wife against his chest; Mr. Smith glared at Jim. "By all means, Detective, ask your questions."

Jim clenched his jaw. "Did your son have any enemies? Anyone that would want to hurt him?"

"No. No one." Mr. Smith turned to face Blair. "You know that, Blair. Tell him."

"Mr. Smith..." Blair began.

Sensing how uncomfortable Blair was, Jim cut in. "I really do need to hear this from you, Mr. Smith. I know how difficult this must be for you, but this is necessary if we want to catch your son's killer."

"The answer to your question is no, Detective Ellison," Mr. Smith replied, sounding angry and bitter. "Our son didn't have any enemies."

"Could he have perhaps been involved with something?" Jim asked. "Something that could have led to his being killed?"

"Just what are you inferring?" Mr. Smith gave Jim a suspicious look. "Are you trying to insinuate that our son was involved with something illegal?" Angered, he stood up and pointed a finger at Jim. "Listen here, Detective. Jake would have never been mixed up with anything illegal. He saw the kind of grief we went through over his brother, Mike." Looking over at Blair, he asked, "You did tell him about Mike, didn't you?" When Blair nodded, he turned his attention back to Jim. "After Mike's death, Jake swore to us that he would never become involved with anything like that; and that's one promise that he would never have gone back on."

"Mr. Smith, I'm just trying to come up with a reason why someone would want to hurt your son," Jim explained. "In order to do that, I have to investigate every possibility. I hope you can understand that."

"The only thing that I understand, Detective, is that we've now lost both of our sons. So would you please leave so that we can grieve in peace?"

"All right, Mr. Smith. But we will need to question you further." Jim looked over at Mrs. Smith. Compassion in his voice, he said, "I'm very sorry for your loss. You do have my condolences." Then, he turned to Blair. "Come on, Chief, let's go."

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith," Blair said as he stood up, "I'm truly sorry about Jake."

"We know you are, Blair," Mr. Smith replied. "I know how close the two of you were. We were sorry to see the two of you drift apart. You were so good together."

When Jim gave him a sharp look, Blair pulled out his wallet and took out a card. Handing it to Mr. Smith, he said, "Here's my card. It has my office and home phone numbers. If there's anything that I can do for you, please don't hesitate to call."

The grieving man accepted the card. "Thank you."

"I mean it. Anytime you need me, just call." Having said that, he turned and followed Jim out of the house.

Once they were outside, Blair said, "Well that certainly sucked."

"Part of the job, Chief;" Jim replied. "Part of the job.

"Part of the job that sucks, Jim."

Jim nodded. "I know what you mean. Look, why don't we head back to the station. Maybe the M. E. will have something for us by now. Meanwhile, you can get together a list of other people that knew Jake. Hopefully one of them will be able to tell us some more about this guy's activities."

"Hold up a minute, Jim." Blair reached over to grab Jim's arm. When Jim stopped and turned to look at him, Blair continued. "I already told you that there is no way Jake was involved with anything illegal. So whatever you're thinking just stop right now."

"Look, Sandburg, whether you like it or not, we've got to consider every possibility." Jim shrugged off Blair's hold. "Even ones that involve your friend being mixed up in something illegal. It's the only way we'll make any headway on this case at all. We haven't exactly got a whole hell of a lot to go on here in the first place. So until I learn otherwise, I'm going to consider every angle."

"I don't like it."

"You don't have to," Jim stated. "You just have to do the job, no matter where it leads you. That's what being a cop is about."

"I know that, Jim. Believe me, I know that. But that doesn't change how I feel."

 

Chapter 3

Both men were silent on the ride back to the station. Blair was still trying to come to terms with the death of his friend while Jim was thinking about what Jake's father had said.

What did he mean? Jim thought as he looked over at Blair. That the two of you were so good together? It almost sounds as if... Jim shook his head. Nah, it couldn't be. Much as I would like for it to be true, Sandburg doesn't date guys. I would know if he did. A voice intruded upon his musings. "What was that? Did you say something?"

"I just said that I feel so sorry for the Smiths. They're good people and seeing them suffer like this ... Well, it hurts almost as much as losing Jake. I still can't believe that he's dead."

"So, I guess the two of you used to be really close?"

An odd look quickly passed over Blair's face. "Yeah, we were."

When Blair didn't elaborate, Jim suppressed the urge to question the younger man further.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After they arrived back at the station, Blair went up to Major Crime to begin making a list of Jake Smith's friends while Jim went down to the morgue. When he got up to the bullpen, Jim found Blair deep in concentration. He walked up to the younger man and, in a loud voice said, "Hey, Chief."

Startled, Blair glared up at Jim. "Knock it off, man."

Jim held up his hands. "Sorry."

Irritated, Blair muttered, "Sure you are."

Jim walked around Blair and took a seat behind his desk. "So, come up with anything yet?"

Blair showed Jim the list. "This is what I've managed to come up with so far," he said. "Of course, it's probably a little bit out-dated."

Jim took the paper from Blair. "So where can we find these people? Rainier?"

"Yeah, I guess. Some of them might have graduated by now, but the administrations office should have current addresses on file." His eyes never wavering from the top of Jim's desk, he asked, "So, um, what did you find out?"

"You sure that you want to know?"

"I think that I need to."

Jim leaned close to Blair. "Like we already knew, Smith was beaten to death." Letting out a sigh, Jim ran a hand over his face. "He was... Shit, Blair ... The guy was alive during the whole thing. Dan said that he probably hung on for an hour of two after the beating; but then his body finally just gave up."

Shivering, Blair seemed to huddle in on himself. "Can you imagine what he must have gone through? Not only having to endure a beating like that, but then to just lie there for hours. Hurting, bleeding, knowing that he was dying. Hoping right up until his last breath that someone would come along and find him."

"It's a bitch, all right," Jim agreed. "But we can't do anything to change that so there's no point in thinking about it. Right now, we just need to find the son-of-a-bitch that did it and nail his ass."

"Right," Blair said in a low voice. "You're right." He looked up at Jim. "So what next? Go to Rainier and start interviewing people?"

"Yeah." Jim nodded his head. "But first, I want to go back to the scene. Give it another once over in case I missed something the first time."

Not wanting to go back to where his friend had died, Blair asked, "Do you really think that you missed something?"

Missing the reluctance in Blair's voice, Jim shrugged. "Hell if I know, but it's worth a shot."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following an unproductive trip back to the crime scene, Jim and Blair headed over to Rainier.

After parking the truck, Jim turned to Blair. "Who's up first?"

"Um... why don't we start with Nikki Jones," Blair suggested.

"Nikki?" Jim asked. "The same one that gave you a ride this morning?"

"Yeah. The three of us used to be pretty tight. Hung out a lot and stuff. But... Well, that changed."

"So that's why she was feeding you that bull about neglecting people." A hint of anger crept into Jim's voice. "You're right, we should start with her."

"Jim..." Blair said, the warning evident in his tone.

"What? You think that I'm going to start something with her? Come on, Sandburg, give me a little bit more credit than that."

"You're right," Blair agreed. "Sorry, man."

"That's more like it." Under his breath he added, "Nikki Jones. I'll have to remember to see if she has any outstanding parking tickets."

"What was that? Did you say something?"

"Not a word, Chief," Jim replied, "not a word." The two men got out of the truck and started towards the university. "So where can we find this Nikki girl?"

"I'm pretty sure that she studies in the library about this time."

Blair stopped when they reached the building. "Just remember, you promised not to start anything."

"I'll be on my best behavior," Jim promised.

The younger man scoffed. "Why do I not find that very reassuring?"

Giving Blair an innocent look, Jim reached out and opened the door. Holding it open, he gestured for Blair to precede him into the building.

Walking into the library, Blair immediately spotted Nikki and walked over to her. "Hey, Nikki."

"Hi, Blair," the young woman said in greeting "What are you doing back here? I thought you were going to be at the station this afternoon."

"That was the plan." Blair gestured towards Jim as the older man came to stand next to him. "But then Jim and I got sent out on a case, and I... We need to talk to you about it."

"About a case?" Nikki cast a suspicious look Jim's way. "Why do you need to talk to me about a case?"

"It's... It's about Jake."

"Jake?" Nikki looked confused. "What about him?"

After glancing at Jim and receiving a slight nod, Blair turned back to Nikki. "I've got some bad news, Nikki. Jake... He... He was found in Thompson Park. He's dead."

"Oh my God!" Nikki exclaimed, looking shocked. "What happened?"

"That's what we're trying to find out."

"How can I help?"

Jim took a step forward. "Miss Jones, we need to ask you some questions about Mr. Smith."

"Yeah, sure," Nikki replied. "Anything that I can do to help."

"Thank you," Jim said. "Now, how well did you know Mr. Smith?"

"We just hung out together," Nikki answered. "Well, us and Blair. The three of us used to go out all of the time, but we haven't seen much of each other lately."

"Yes, Blair told me about your discussion earlier today." That remark earned him an angry look from Blair. "Now, when was the last time you saw Mr. Smith?"

"Well, since you already know about my talk with Blair," Nikki sniped, "you should already know that I saw him last week. We ran into each other here. He was doing some research for a paper. We worked together for a little while but then I had to leave to go to work."

For the moment, Jim ignored the young woman's attitude. "How did he seem? Did he seem upset or bothered about anything?"

"No," Nikki answered. "He was his usual self." She looked over Blair, who had remained silent since Jim had started asking questions. "You know what I'm talking about, Blair. He seemed happy, just like always. I mean, even though it still gets him down sometimes; he's pretty much put Mike's death behind him now. To me, he seemed upbeat. I think he said something about getting a grant. He was pretty excited about it."

"Do you know anything about his recent activities?"

"Recent activities? What do you mean? With school, research and work, Jake didn't have time for anything else." She turned her attention to Blair again. "You know what it's like."

"Yeah," Blair replied. "I know."

Sounding offended, she asked, "So what kind of recent activities are you talking about, Detective?"

"Nikki, back off, okay?" Blair said, putting himself between his two friends. "Jim is just doing his job. If we're going to find the person that did this then we need to find out everything that we can about Jake's life. The bad as well as the good."

"Look, Blair, you and I both know that there's no way Jake would get mixed up in anything illegal," Nikki stated. "We were both there after Mike died and we both saw what it did to him; to the whole family. Jake wouldn't do anything that would have caused his parents more grief. You know that and I can't believe that you're letting this guy make these kind of accusations against a person who thought of you as a friend." She stood and stepped up to Blair. Poking him in the chest, she exclaimed, "You should know better. Before you started hanging out with those pigs, you never would have accused Jake of doing anything wrong. My God, the two of you -"

"Were friends," Blair finished. "You're right, Nikki. Okay? Jake was my friend but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have gotten mixed up in something. Maybe gotten in over his head, not knowing what he was getting involved with. It's possible and you know it."

Nikki looked over at Jim then turned to face Blair again. "What's wrong, Blair?" She sneered. "Don't want your cop friend to find out how close you and Jake really were? You didn't tell him, did you? Maybe I should?"

Hearing Blair's increased heart rate and ragged breathing, Jim reached over and pulled him away from the irate young woman. "I think that you need to just back off, Ms. Jones. I understand you're upset right now, but there's no need for you to lash out at Sandburg. He's just doing his job."

"That's funny, I thought he was a student and a teacher," Nikki retorted, staring straight at Blair. "When did you decide to switch careers, Blair? Was it the same time you started turning your back on your friends?"

"Nikki..."

Turning her attention to Jim, Nikki totally dismissed Blair. "Will that be all, Detective?"

"For now," Jim replied. "Come on, Sandburg, let's get out of here."

"Just a minute, Jim." Not wanting to leave just yet, Blair appealed to his friend. "Nikki..."

"Oh and I don't think that I'll be able to go out with you this weekend after all, Blair," Nikki interrupted. Having said that, she turned her back to him.

When Blair reached out towards Nikki, Jim grabbed his arm. "Come on, Chief," he softly said. "We've got an investigation to conduct."

Nodding, Blair allowed Jim to lead him out of the library and over to the truck.

"Well that certainly was helpful," Jim said after they got in the truck.

"Don't start, Jim," Blair warned.

"Start what?"

"Just don't. Okay?"

"Whatever." Jim started the truck and they left Rainier.

Aware of the glances Jim kept sending his way, Blair finally asked, "What? What is it?"

"You can't let what she said get to you, Blair," Jim advised. "She... she was just upset is all and you were the perfect target for her to take it out on. She didn't mean any of it."

"Yes, she did." Blair was silent for a moment. "And she was right."

"Blair..." Jim trailed off, unsure of what to say. "So, um, what was she talking about anyway?"

"What do you mean?"

"She started to say something about you and this Jake guy."

"It's nothing."

"Sure didn't sound like nothing to me. If I didn't know better, I'd think..."

"Think what?"

"Nothing, Sandburg. Nothing at all." After a while, he added, "Don't worry, Chief. We'll find the person that killed your friend."

Blair just nodded.

 

Chapter 4

Despite many interviews and another sweep of the crime scene, two weeks later Jim and Blair were not any closer to finding Jake's killer. Both of them were becoming increasingly short tempered and their nerves were frayed.

"I don't care, Jim," Blair yelled, causing everyone in the bullpen to look at them. "There is no way that Jake was involved with drugs, gangs or any of that other shit! He wasn't like that!"

"And I'm telling you, Sandburg," Jim yelled back, "that a person doesn't just turn up beaten to death for no reason!"

"I know that there's a reason behind his death." Blair's voice grew louder with each word. "Just not the reasons that you think."

"We've been over this and over this." Everyone in the room could hear the frustration in Jim's voice. "You can't just discount a theory just because you don't like it."

"I'm discounting it because it isn't true," Blair countered. "And if you'd put aside your ego for just a minute, you just might see that you're totally off base here. But no, you think that Jake was a criminal or a junkie and the great Detective Jim Ellison can't be wrong about anything, can he?"

"That's not true and you know it," Jim argued. "Nothing would please me more than to find out that this guy is clean, but -"

"Yeah, right," Blair scoffed. "That's the biggest load of bull that I've heard in a while."

"Now, listen up, Sandburg -"

"No, you listen," Blair interrupted. "I know that Jake wasn't doing anything wrong. I know it and I'm going to prove it."

Before Jim could respond, Blair turned around and stormed out of the bullpen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening, Jim ignored Blair's entrance into the loft and kept his attention focused on the TV.

Glaring at the back of Jim's head for a second, Blair then sighed and went over to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. Without saying a word to Jim, he went into his room and slammed the door behind him.

Out in the living room, Jim flinched as the sound reached his ears. "Good evening to you, too," he muttered.

That night Jim lay awake, listening to Blair tossing and turning in bed. Later, when Blair got up and fixed some tea, Jim was tempted to go downstairs and talk. Instead, he punched his pillow and rolled over onto his side.

Downstairs, carrying his cup of tea into his bedroom, Blair paused momentarily and looked up at Jim's bedroom. Hesitantly, he took a couple of steps towards the stairs. Then, losing his nerve, he went on to his room. Sitting down on his bed, he began to sip the hot liquid. "I can't keep this up much longer," Blair murmured. "Every time I close my eyes, I see Jake's face. All those bruises and all that blood." He shuddered. "Seems like I'm surrounded by death lately. Incacha and Janet. Roy. Now, Jake." Sighing, Blair set the cup of tea aside and then curled up in bed.

Upstairs, listening to Blair, Jim again debated going downstairs. He wanted nothing more than to go down and comfort the younger man. To gather Blair in his arms and make everything go away for at least a little while. "Shit, Chief, what would I say, huh?" He let out a weary sigh. "And even if I did go to you, would you even want me there?"

Both men settled down to sleep, although it was a long time coming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Jim was at the station when the desk sergeant from downstairs escorted an elderly man into the bullpen. Seeing that they were headed his way, Jim stood up to meet them.

"Detective Ellison," the sergeant greeted. "This is Mr. Andrew Thomas and he has some information about the Smith case."

"Have a seat, Mr. Thomas." Jim pulled a chair over to his desk. Once the other man was seated and the sergeant left, he asked, "So what can you tell me about this case?"

"First of all, Detective," Mr. Thomas said, "you have to understand something."

"Yes?"

"I know that I should have come forward sooner, but..." Trailing off, Mr. Thomas glanced around the bullpen before looking at Jim again. "I... I was afraid, you see. After what happened that night, after what I saw that night, I was afraid to come forward. But I kept seeing those news broadcasts saying that the police didn't have any suspects. Then, I saw an interview with the parents and when I heard that they had lost their other boy too, I just had to come forward."

"That's perfectly understandable, Mr. Thomas," Jim reassured. "Just take your time and tell me what you saw."

"I saw..." Mr. Thomas began. "I saw it happen. That night, I saw them kill Jake Smith."

Having entered the bullpen while Jim was talking to Mr. Thomas, Blair caught the last part of the man's statement. "You what?"

Startled, Mr. Thomas twisted around to look at Blair while Jim said, "Come over here and sit down, Sandburg."

After Blair had sat down, Jim turned to Mr. Thomas. "Mr. Thomas, this is my associate, Blair Sandburg. He has been working the Smith case too. Now, could you please tell us everything that you saw the night Jake Smith was killed?"

Mr. Thomas glanced between the two men. "I had gone out for a walk and I went by Thompson Park. It was a lovely evening and I was enjoying myself, but then I noticed a group of young men. There were four of them and they were shouting and carrying on. Right away, I knew that they were trouble so I stepped back into the shadows where they couldn't see me." Eyes downcast, he continued, "That's when I noticed the other young man."

"Other young man?" Jim asked.

"The Smith boy," Mr. Thomas said. "He was coming from the opposite direction. At first, I didn't think that anything would happen. I mean, that group of young men allowed him to pass by. But then, then they turned and... It was horrible..." Rubbing a hand over his eyes, he continued in a choked voice. "They didn't even say anything to him. They just started beating him. Hitting and punching and kicking him. And that Smith boy, he was crying out for help. Begging for them to stop. I wanted to move, but it was like I was frozen in place. I... I... I just stood there and watched them beat that boy to death." Then, Mr. Thomas broke down and started crying.

Getting out of his chair, Blair went over and knelt down beside Mr. Thomas. Placing a hand on the older man's back, he tried to comfort the distraught man. "It's okay," he murmured. "Just let it out. You're safe here and they can't hurt you."

"I... I... I've been feeling so guilty," Mr. Thomas stammered. "But I was so afraid to come forward. Afraid of what they would do to me. But I can't live with it any more. Every night, I keep seeing it over and over again. I had to come forward. I just had to or else I wouldn't be able to live with myself anymore."

"You did the right thing, Mr. Thomas," Jim reassured.

Grabbing a handful of kleenexes from the box on Jim's desk, Blair handed them to Mr. Thomas.

"Detective Ellison is right. You did the right thing."

"I just wish that I'd had the courage to do it sooner." Mr. Thomas took the tissues and wiped his eyes.

"You're here now and that's all that matters," Blair stated.

"So what now?"

"I'd like to take you to one of the interrogation rooms so that you can go through some mugshots," Jim answered. "I'd also like to set up an appointment with the sketch artist just in case we don't have any luck with the mugshots."

"I'll do whatever I can," Mr. Thomas promised.

Three hours and many mugshots later, Mr. Thomas was becoming discouraged. He slammed another book shut. "This is useless."

"You can't think like that." Blair tried to seem optimistic despite his own doubts. "Something will turn up. You can't just give up."

Sighing, Mr. Thomas held out his hand. "Let me have the next one."

Wordlessly, Jim handed over another book.

After flipping through a few pages, Mr. Thomas suddenly stopped and pointed towards a picture. "That's him! He's one of them!"

Looking at the picture Mr. Thomas was pointing out, Jim read aloud. "John Payne." He turned to face Mr. Thomas. "Good work, Mr. Thomas." Turning to Blair he added, "I'm going to go pull this kid's rap sheet. You stay here with Mr. Thomas. Maybe we'll luck out and he'll spot some of the others."

Several minutes later, Jim returned. "Any luck?"

"None so far." Blair stood and stretched then walked over to Jim. "You?"

Instead of responding, Jim addressed Mr. Thomas. "Sandburg and I need to step outside for a moment, Mr. Thomas. You just keep looking through these books. We'll be right back."

"All right, Detective."

Motioning for Blair to join him, Jim went over to the door. Holding it open, he gestured for Blair to go out into the hallway.

"So what's up?" Blair asked after Jim had joined him outside the room. "What did you find out?"

Jim held up the rap sheet so that Blair could see it. "Nothing that makes a whole hell of a lot of sense."

"What are you talking about?"

"Take a look for yourself," Jim replied. "This Payne kid is 15 years old and has only been busted for relatively minor offenses; a little bit of petty theft and some vandalism."

"Nothing violent?"

"Nothing."

"Well, what would make a kid like this kill someone? Why would he be a part of Jake's death?"

"I don't know," Jim answered, "but we're going to find out. Simon is arranging for an arrest warrant right now. Come on; let's go back inside until it comes through. Maybe this guy will find one of the others."

When they returned to the interrogation room, Mr. Thomas looked up. "I found another one!"

Jim hurried over to the table. "Who?"

Mr. Thomas pointed towards a picture. "This one here."

"Mark Roberts," Jim read aloud. "Okay, same drill. I'll go check this kid out; you stay here with Mr. Thomas."

"All right."

The next time Jim returned; he had an uniformed officer with him. "Sandburg, I need to talk with you for a minute."

Glancing at the officer, Blair went outside with Jim. "What's up now?"

"Same thing, Chief," Jim explained. "This Roberts kid is 16 years old and he has only been busted for loitering and trespassing."

"This doesn't make any sense, Jim." Blair ran a hand through his hair and started pacing in the hallway. "Why would these kids go for minor offenses to something like murder?"

"Who the hell knows anymore." Jim shrugged. "Simon is arranging for a warrant for this kid too. We should have them soon."

"I want to go with you."

"What?"

"When you go to arrest these kids, I want to be there."

"No way."

"Yes, Jim," Blair insisted. "They killed a friend of mine."

"Which is exactly why you shouldn't be there," Jim reasoned. "You're too close on this one."

"Like you've ever let that stop you," Blair challenged. "There's been plenty of times when you've keep investigating a case that affected you personally. Why is that okay for you and not for me?"

"Sandburg..."

"I'm going."

"No, you're not." Sighing, Jim placed a hand on Blair's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Look, Chief, we don't know what kind of situation we're going into here. No matter what their past offenses are, these kids have been implicated in murder. They've shown that they're more that capable of becoming violent; and there is no telling how they will respond when we show up to bust them. So, would you please just stay here?"

"Jim..."

Leaning closer, Jim dropped his voice. "I'm asking you to do this for me, Blair. Stay here."

"All right," Blair relented. "But be careful, okay? Stick close to Simon and try not to use your senses."

Before Jim could respond, Simon approached. "We're all set, Jim. The warrants just came through. We're going to start with Mark Roberts and then go after the Payne kid."

Jim nodded at his captain, then turned back to Blair. "We okay here?"

Taking a long look at Jim, seeing the anxiety and concern in the older man's face, Blair smiled. "We're okay." When Jim started to turn away, Blair reached up and grabbed his forearm. "We're okay with everything, Jim."

Giving Blair's shoulder a final squeeze, Jim took a step back and separated from Blair completely. "Good," he said. "See ya soon, partner."

"Okay."

Simon cleared his throat. "If you two are finished now, we've got some arrests to make."

"Coming, sir." Jim gave Blair another smile and then followed after the captain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, Blair was sitting at Jim's desk when the detective finally returned. "Hey, how did it go?"

"Just fine, Chief. It went off without a hitch."

"Well, what happened?"

"We arrived at Roberts' house but didn't receive an answer when we knocked on the door," Jim explained. "I could hear heartbeats coming from inside though, so I knew that someone was there. So -"

"Wait a minute," Blair interrupted. He glanced around the bullpen and then leaned close to Jim. "You used your senses? Did everything go okay? You didn't have any problems did you?"

Jim chuckled softly. "Relax, Sandburg. Like I told you, everything went down okay, no problems at all." When Blair didn't appear reassured, Jim reached out and bopped him on the back of the head. "Hey, lighten up. We got the guys and everything went down without a hitch."

More for show than anything else, Blair rubbed the back of his head. "Hey, hands off the hair."

Voice soft, Jim said, "Hey, it really is okay. I'm fine."

"I know. I can see that you are. It's just..." Blair lowered his head. "I... I just worry about you when I'm not there to watch your back."

"I know you do, Chief. That's what makes you such a good partner."

Blair smiled in response to Jim's praise.

"Anyway, we busted down the door and entered the house. When we did our sweep we found both Roberts and Payne passed out in one of the bedrooms. Seems they had gone on a binge; there was alcohol and drugs all over the place."

Jim's expression hardened. "After we finally managed to get them half-way conscious, they were handcuffed and Simon read them their rights. Before we could even get them out to the squad car, they started crying." Looking Blair straight in the eyes, Jim said, "They confessed the whole thing, Chief. They admitting to killing Jake."

"What about the other ones?" Blair asked. "Mr. Thomas still hasn't had any luck identifying them, but he still has a lot more mugshots to go through."

"Roberts and Payne haven't given up the other two. But, then again, I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet. Don't worry. One way or another, we'll find them."

"I want to be in there when you interrogate Payne and Roberts."

"We've been over this, Sandburg."

"No, we haven't," Blair argued. "You didn't want me at the arrest, so I didn't go. But I want to be there when you interrogate them. I need to be there, Jim."

"All right," Jim relented. "But if you start to lose it, you're out of there. Understand?"

"Whatever you say, man," Blair agreed. "You're in charge."

"Yeah, right," Jim smirked. "Come on, Rafe and H are taking Roberts; we're gonna talk to Payne."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entering the interrogation room, Jim merely stood and stared at John Payne for several long seconds. Keeping part of his attention focused on Blair's vital signs; Jim began to stalk towards Payne until he stood behind the youth, looming over him. Not saying a word, he just continued to stand there.

Finally, Payne broke. "Back off, man!" Twisting around, he glared at the man behind him. "What is your problem anyway?"

Leaning forward, slamming his hands down on the table on either side of the scared young man, Jim growled, "You're my problem." He brought his face mere inches away from Payne's. "See, you and your little friends killed someone in my city. I don't like it when that happens."

"Well, gee, Officer, that's just tough shit, isn't it?" P

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author KAM.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.