Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,798
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,215

One Year On

Summary:

Written for greys_prompts on LJ.

Prompt: Alex/Viper, anniversary

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Title: One Year On
Prompt: Alex/Viper, anniversary
Rating: 12 (M/M kissing and references to sex)
Notes: It has been awhile since I've written anything so constructive criticism is more than welcome. This is also a two parter but I think I might write the second part is more of a sequel than a second chapter.
Betas: Thanks to wildannuette and mrscaptainoats for beta reading this. I also want to thank Bethy and Nana for letting me whine to them ^_^
Disclaimer: They aren't mine. This is done for fun and no money is being made off of it etc etc

~~~~~~~~

Placing her hands on her hips, Bailey surveyed the chaotic emergency room with a look of utter disdain on her face. It was the time of the annual Dead Baby bike race, and as usual the cyclists were wreaking havoc on the streets of Seattle which always led to injuries of the cyclists and of everyone else around them. "Idiots," she muttered before turning around to glare at the interns struggling with their scrubs. "I don't want to see any of you fighting over patients, you got that?" Waving a finger at them warningly she gave them one last glare before turning and wading deep into the mass of bodies. The interns looked at one another for a moment before rushing into the chaos, each of them calling out to each other as they tried to get the interesting cases. All that was, except for Alex Karev who had arrived late to work. He had managed to sneak in without Bailey noticing; he just wasn't quick enough to get his protective coveralls on and fastened by the time she had left. His Mom had called him early in the morning, just to check up on him. He couldn't be mad at her, she did care; she just always seemed to pick the wrong moments to show him how much she cared. Finally securing the fastenings at the neck and waist Alex looked around the ER hoping to spot any interesting cases the other interns had overlooked in their hurry. "Viper!" Alex called loudly, spotting a familiar figure laying on one of the many gurneys in the ER. Hurrying over he waved his hands towards the other man, "Mine. He's mine!" No one was paying any attention to him because they all had their own cases; he just wanted to cover himself in case Meredith saw him. She'd grown attached to Viper when he was last in the hospital or, Alex thought to himself, she really was just a slut that would kiss anyone. Standing by Viper's bed, Alex looked at the nasty wound on the bike messenger's shin. He really wasn't surprised by the man's return visit to the ER. After last time it was perfectly clear to Alex that nothing would stop him from competing in the Dead Baby bike race and that included a previous bad experience. "Frat boy," Viper said in way of greeting. "What a surprise to see you here." "Yeah?" Alex gave him a grin, "you think they'd have kicked me out by now?" After slipping on a pair of latex gloves Alex began to explore the wound on Viper's leg. At first glance it looked superficial; a large, thin piece of glass was protruding out of his leg. The wound itself was ragged and filled with dirt and blood which Alex wanted to clean out so he could examine it more closely. He resisted the urge to just dismiss the case as a superficial wound; he had to be thorough especially on this case, it wouldn't look good if he messed up the diagnosis twice on the same patient. "You said it, not me." Struggling up into a sitting position Viper watched as Alex explored the wound in his leg, occasionally making grunting noises when the intern touched something particularly painful. "Some punk from Jack Rabbit's kicked me off my bike and into a car. It really isn't that bad, you people are just overreacting again. Couldn't you just rip it out-" he made an accompanying hand gesture that made Alex bite back laughter, "let me pop a few pain killers and let me be on my way?" "Sorry dude. We have to check that the glass hasn't penetrated anything important. If it has and we remove it you could bleed out. This won't take long, I promise, and if you do need surgery we'll get you in and out as quickly as possible." Stepping back from the table Alex couldn't help but look at Viper's stomach where he knew, under the grungy tee shirt, lay a scar. Alex had many regrets and one of them was what had happened to Viper. He had been so sure of himself, so arrogant and someone had nearly died as a result. He knew now that he shouldn't be arrogant, instead he should be confident and only when he was certain he was right. "It's a wicked scar," Viper said in a conversational tone as he rolled his tee shirt up to expose the thin mark, "chicks dig it. I lie, of course. Tell them I got it in some dramatic and heroic way." He stroked the scar while giving Alex a sardonic look, "More interesting than the truth, don't you think?" He stared Alex down until the other man looked away. Viper didn't hold a grudge; he knew he too bore some responsibility for what had happened. He had ignored the doctors advice and encouraged them to dismiss the case and let him go. He just needed to know that Alex felt something akin to regret about what had happened.

~~~~~~~~

Several hours later Viper found himself alone in one of the semi private rooms just off the emergency room floor. He'd undergone test after test, which were made bearable by the presence of Alex, who shared jokes with him, hospital gossip and even kept him updated on who was winning the race. Flicking through the TV channels Viper tried to find any news programme that had information on the race; what little information Alex could get him wasn't enough to satisfy his curiosity: he needed to know who was winning! If he hadn't lost his phone during the race he would have been texting all of his friends, begging them for any information. Stopping on a channel that was showing shots of the race, Viper tried to put together some sort of time line while he ignored the reporter's incessant bitching about the event. Some people really needed to lighten up, he thought to himself. He was so involved in his thoughts that he didn't notice Alex entering the room until he spoke, "Who's winning?" "No idea. This channel is using clips from this morning," rolling his eyes Viper switched the TV onto mute. "Good news for me? Am I getting out of here?" Flipping open Viper's chart Alex scanned down the page with a smile, "Yeah, all I need to do is remove the glass and stitch you back up. You really should rest it for a few hours afterwards but we both know that isn't going to happen." "Absolutely not," Viper said cheerfully "once you set me free I'm back on my bike and over that finish line. There's a party at the finish line and I plan to drink lots of tequila and get felt up by a lot of people." "Yeah?" Smiling Alex injected a local anaesthetic into the skin around the glass. "Oh, yeah. Imagine taking tequila body shots off some feisty little red head while she wriggles around. Though," he said looking down his body at Alex, who was currently trying to work the chunk of glass out of his leg "let it be known that I am an equal opportunist lover and will gladly take body shots off some hot Norwegian trawler man, preferably with limited verbal skills." Seeing Alex's look of disbelief Viper nodded his head emphatically, "Seriously! Why limit yourself in bed? Doesn't make sense to me, pleasure is pleasure which is all good in my book." "Whatever, man. Ah-ha!" he crowed holding up a large, chunk of glass in front of Viper. "Can I keep that?" Viper coupled his question with exaggerated puppy dog eyes in hopes of persuading Alex to give it to him rather than throwing it away. Alex shrugged; it didn't matter to him either way, "Something to show your women and men?" Slipping the glass into a plastic bag, he passed it to Viper before beginning to suture the wound. "My women, maybe, but my men are all foreign, with limited knowledge of the English language so what will they care? As long as they can find the bed, I'm sure they could do without the amateur dramatics," Viper said teasingly as he examined the glass in the bag, he couldn't believe he had that stuck in his leg and it hadn't caused more damage, that thing was huge! "All done," Alex announced when he had finished suturing the wound closed. "I know you won't listen but seriously, you should rest that leg for awhile or else you might rip the stitches out and have to come back here to get sewed back up again." "I'll rest it up later, okay? Don't worry about me, frat boy I'll be fine." Swinging his legs over the bed, Viper tentatively put his injured foot to the ground then slowly shifted his weight onto it. It hurt, he wouldn't deny that, but it wasn't enough to stop him from walking out of the hospital and getting back onto his bike. Walking around the room just to make sure he could, Viper grinned widely "Thanks man." Stopping in front of Alex, Viper got a thoughtful expression on his face while he contemplated something. Alex expected the punch, he had been waiting for it but what surprised him was the lack of force behind it. He didn't stagger backwards or have his head snapped back from the hit. Instead, he just had to take a step back to brace himself and then it was over and Viper was looking at him smugly. "I couldn't even finish the race last year because of you, but this year I will because of what you did, so no harm no foul." Viper took several steps towards the exit before he stopped, turned around and gave Alex a secretive smile. "One last thing," he said playfully before grabbing Alex and kissing him soundly on the lips. He broke it off before Alex could react but he didn't let go of his hold on the other man. "That was for good luck and this -" he kissed him chastely on the lips. "Happy anniversary! I'll see you next year!"

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author BrokenVirtue.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.