Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2006-09-10
Words:
3,102
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
3
Kudos:
16
Hits:
2,518

The Prince and the Ego

Summary:

Pairing: McShep and Dex/Lorne later on
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: If I owned them, I'd force them to reveal their relationship…but I don't, so they must keep on pretending.
Warning: AU. Slash. Crack.
Summary: Rodney's lab is about to be destroyed according to the Lord Regent's law, so he journeys across the kingdom to present his case to the one person who can help…Prince John.
Author's Notes: Thanks to my beta, maren808, who also resisted the urge to kill me when I was trying to think of a title.
The first chapter is for wtf27 prompt #11: Fantasy AU (traditional)
Submitted through the Stargate_Atlantis_Slash mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

The Prince and the Ego
by Never

"Of course, if it sounds impossible, you look at me," Rodney groused.

Radek took a deep breath, taking support from Peter's presence. "Rodney, someone has to go convince Prince John to rescind his uncle, the Lord Regent's order to have our lab destroyed."

"I still don't see why I have to be the one to go."

Rodney's arms were crossed, which signaled to Radek that the only way to persuade Rodney was to stroke his ego...as if Rodney's ego ever needed stroking. "As much as I hate to admit it, you know the most about our research, so you have the best chance of demonstrating the importance of our work to Prince John."

Quickly joining in the discussion, Peter nodded, "You are the most logical person to go."

"At least you realize that," Rodney said, straightening his stance. "Fine! I'll leave for the castle today."

"It will be difficult to gain an audience with the Prince since his coronation is in less than a week."

Rodney's face took on a dull expression while his voice rose. "I am painfully aware of that."

"Good, good. And you will be taking the horse, Rodney?" Radek asked, already moving around their small, makeshift lab. Science was outlawed in the kingdom, and the three of them had risked imprisonment to continue with their experiments in secret. However, now they had been discovered, and the Lord Regent's soldiers would be coming for them soon.

"Of course I will! Do you realize how far away the castle is? I can't walk that far!"

Finding what he'd been looking for, Radek pulled out a rolled piece of parchment. "Very far. But this map will help you." Gesturing for the other two men to join him, he spread the parchment on their lab bench. "It's a magic map so it is always changing. The arrow tells you where you are, and the `x' shows the position of whatever you are seeking...in this case, the Prince. All you have to do is follow the map's directions."

"I know how to use a map." He reached out to take the parchment roughly. "Now, will one of you get me some food while I pack what else I'll need? And make sure you pack enough to feed me for a week, I'm hypoglycemic, you know."

-tbc-