Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,861
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
740

Housing?

Summary:

Disclaimer: I'm only borrowing Blair and the others, they belong to Petfly Productions.
Author's Note: I was thinking about how lucky I was the other day that the scholarship I got covered everything from tuition to boarding when I went to college. I figured Blair used student loans and grants to go to school. But what would happen if his first year was only covered for tuition?
Submitted through the SenseXangstRevisited mailing list.

Work Text:

Housing?
By J. Love
jl_foxy@pris.bc.ca

Blair arrived at the Rainier University. He was to start in the undergraduate degree program tomorrow. He shifted his pack more securely on his back. It had been a long trip from Monterrey but he was determined to go to school here. They had a great anthropology program with Leo Stoddard running it. Blair was eager to study under Professor Stoddard. He knew he would be the youngest in the program but that wouldn't deter him.

Blair went into the student housing office to find out where his dorm room would be. There was a long line up and nothing to help it. He would have to wait.

Five hours later, it was finally his turn.

"Name?" the bored clerk asked.

"Blair Sandburg," he replied.

She typed it into the computer. "I'm sorry but I don't have you listed," she said insincerely.

"I start the Anthropology program tomorrow," Blair protested. "I applied for housing three months ago."

"Did you send in a deposit cheque?"

"Well, no. But it was cleared that I would pay when I arrived."

"On campus housing is at a premium and if a deposit cheque is not sent in to hold a spot, then one simply can not be held on the chance that you might show up. All of the people waiting in this room want to get a dorm bed. Most have paid their deposit to ensure a spot. They will get dorm rooms. Thos who have not paid a deposit will have to take their chances on a spot opening up and since there are over a hundred students ahead of you on the list, I don't think it is likely. Or do you think you are better than everyone else and should get first pick of the beds?" She asked with a faint sneer.

"No, it isn't that. I had no way of sending in a deposit cheque so I cleared it through the department head that it would be okay to pay when I arrived."

"Department heads have nothing to do with student housing. Maybe this will be a lesson to you to pay what you have to instead of partying. You would think that by the age of nineteen you kids would learn better. Now step aside so I can take the next one in line who hopefully was smart enough to pay the deposit."

"But," Blair started to protest.

"I said to stop aside. Your name has been added to the list of those students looking for housing."

"If you would just let me explain," Blair tried again.

"No, step aside," she demanded.

Blair sighed and did as asked. What was he going to do now? Naomi would have already entered the commune by now and he would be unable to reach her. If only the clerk would listen and he could show her the letter signed by both Professor Stoddard and Dean Adams authorizing him to pay when he arrived due to his unusual circumstances. Did he really look old enough to be nineteen? After all, he was only sixteen. Blair decided to wait to see if he could try talking to her again after everyone was processed. Besides, it wasn't like he had anywhere else he could go. He didn't know anyone in Cascade.

~ ~ ~

By the end of day, the amount of people, crowding into the student housing office, were finally down to about fifty people. Another clerk had joined the first in trying to get everyone processed.

Blair fumbled in his backpack to find the letter that would hopefully allow him to get a dorm bed. He was tired and only wanted to go to sleep for a few hours before school started in the morning. The only good point so far was that his first year was covered by a scholarship that paid all tuition costs including books. The sticky point was the dorm room which was not covered. Blair hoped that maybe he could try to explain to the other clerk but chances were he would end up with the same one as before.

~ ~ ~

When Blair reached the front of the line again, his bad luck was holding. It was the same clerk again and she was even more irritable after a long day.

She looked at him coldly. "I told you before that your name was added to the list of students waiting for a space to open up. Nothing will change anything on this."

"Please, if you will allow me to explain," Blair pleaded.

"No, this is the last time I will ask you to leave," she said sternly. "Next," she called out to the person behind Blair.

The large male student who will probably be on the football team pushed Blair aside.

Blair walked slowly to the back of the room, discouraged. What could he do now? The Dean's office was not open today so that avenue was closed. Without a dorm room, he had no place to stay. Because of his age, he could not rent an apartment not that he had enough funds saved up to cover rent for the year on an apartment. He was up the creek without a paddle. Blair looked down at the letter that was his last hope but without the clerk being willing to even look at it, it was no use. However, Blair didn't throw it away. Perhaps he could find someone who would listen. He knew his appearance didn't help but was determined not to change who he was to suit others. His clothes may look like a hippie's but they were his, selected and paid for with the money he had earned working part time jobs. Besides, Naomi had always encouraged to be himself and to do what made him happy. He had been looking forward to this year and studying with Professor Stoddard. Blair found Anthropology to be fascinating. He knew that his place was in this field

Blair sat down in a chair at the back of the room to think and to wait. Perhaps another opportunity would come up to try again.

~ ~ ~

Finally the last prospective student had been processed and the clerk had dealt with before twice now disappeared into the back office. Only the clerk who had come to help out was left. Blair went up to her hopefully.

"Please, can you help me?"

She looked up at him and smiled. "What is it, dear?"

"I had made arrangements to pay for my housing when I arrived."

"Did you send a deposit cheque in?"

"No, it was cleared that I didn't have to."

"I'm sorry, dear, but I don't see how I can help you. Who cleared this for you?"

Blair started to tell her when he was interrupted by the first clerk.

"You're back again. I told you before to leave; we will contact you when and if a place opens up. Now leave before I call for security."

Blair looked from the elderly clerk who at least was willing to listen to the one who was obviously the one in charge. It didn't look promising. Blair sighed. He would try the Dean tomorrow. He looked down at the letter that he hoped would garner him a dorm bed.

"Please add this to my file, Blair Sandburg. You may read it." Blair handed the letter open to the elderly lady. "Could you direct me to the nearest shelter please?"

"Why not get a motel room?" the first clerk asked a touch sarcastically.

"I'm not able to rent one because of my age," Blair answered honestly. He looked to the older woman for directions.

"There is one about fifteen blocks north of here. However, be careful on the way."

"I will; thank you for the directions."

Blair shouldered his backpack and left the Student Housing Office.

~ ~ ~

It was nearly dark by the time Blair reached the edge of the campus. He hoped that there would be room at the shelter.

~ ~ ~

Meanwhile in the Student Housing Office, Vera, the elderly clerk, had finished reading the letter Blair had given her.

"Cynthia, I fear you have made a grave error."

"Whatever do you mean, Vera," she snapped, while shuffling papers.

"Do you know who that young man was?"

"No, of course not," she sneered. "I don't learn any of their names or about any of them."

"Well then, maybe you should read the memos that were sent out," Vera chastised her. She walked over the stack of memos regarding new students. "Aha, here it is. I knew his name sounded familiar. Reading the letter he gave me triggered my memory."

"What's so important about one kid? There was hundreds through here today."

"If you had bothered to do your job properly, you would know." Vera said as she turned to go to the supervisor's office.

Cynthia followed her, starting to feel a little fearful. This was the first year she was in charge of new student's registration and she liked the pay increase that came with it.

Vera knocked on the supervisor's door.

"Come in," a voice called out.

"Mr. Harris, we have a problem," Vera told him.

"What is it?"

"Remember the special watch we had out for a new student starting this semester?"

"Yes, some young genius kid. Special arrangements had been set up for his housing."

"Yes, his name is Blair Sandburg."

"His? I thought Blair was a female student," Mr. Harris replied absently.

"No he is definitely a male. However, despite his trying numerous times to be heard, Cynthia has sent him away. Last I saw of him was Blair leaving to find a bed in a shelter."

"Is this true Cynthia?" Mr. Harris asked sharply, standing up.

"Y-yes," stuttered Cynthia.

"Didn't you read the memos for today?"

"Well no, I didn't get a chance to. It was so busy today."

"Then you should have come in early to read them first. Obviously you are not ready to assume the position you were given. You will be demoted to your old position immediately." Mr. Harris turned to Vera. "Vera, will you be willing to stay on until we can find a suitable replacement."

"Yes, but what about Mr. Sandburg. Sixteen is too young to be wandering around the streets where that shelter is."

"I will deal with it if you will get his room ready for him. I believe a dorm room has been set aside for him by me personally." He turned to the pale Cynthia. "I trust you have not given it away."

If it was possible, Cynthia turned even paler. "I gave it to the football scholarship player."

"Imbecile, leave my sight this minute. Hopefully we can find this kid before something happens to him. I will be speaking to Dean Adams in morning regarding this matter."

"Vera?"

"Yes, I will see what I can find," Vera said sadly as she turned away to go through the file. She hoped that there was a room still available."

~ ~ ~

Mr. Harris closed his door and sighed. He went to his file cabinet to pull up his personal record on Blair Sandburg hoping there was a photo in it to give to the police. This might still be a disaster but he hoped not. Luckily there was a photo from some science fair that he had won at last year. Hopefully, the young man as Mr. Harris now saw he was, had not changed too much.

Mr. Harris picked up the phone and called the police. After explaining the problem he was transferred to another department. Although surprised that they had sent his call to the Vice Squad, Mr. Harris explained what had happened and where the young man was heading. The captain assured him that he was sending one of his officers familiar with the area to retrieve the photograph and to look for the young man.

Mr. Harris then went out front to help Vera find a room for the young man when he was returned to them.

"Is this what the young man looked like?" Mr. Harris asked, showing the picture to Vera.

Vera took the newspaper clipping from him to examine. "Yes, but it doesn't do justice to him."

"An officer is coming to get the picture. Will you give him a description as well?"

"Yes, of course I will," Vera replied. "I think I managed to find a spot for Mr. Sandburg. Unfortunately, it is not as well supervised as the original spot selected."

"Is there any way of switching someone to this other room?"

"Well, there is someone who is supposed to be going into a dorm room two doors from the student supervisor tomorrow but there is a red flag on the person so it wouldn't be advisable to move that one."

"What about the football player that Cynthia put in the room that I set aside for Sandburg?"

"Well, it might be possible to catch him before he moved in. I'm not sure when she assigned the room."

"Could you wait for the officer? I go personally and see about getting the young man moved to this new room. It would be better suited for him anyway. It's closer to the gym and the football field."

"Of course, Mr. Harris," Vera replied. "Good luck."

~ ~ ~

Ten minutes later, a man came into the housing office. Vera looked up. "Can I help you?"

"I'm Officer Ellison; I believe you have a photograph for me of a young man who needs to be found."

"Yes, we do. We would be very grateful if you would be able to bring Blair back here. There was mistake made and we are trying to rectify it. He never should have been sent away. Arrangements were made in advance for his housing and our ex-head clerk ordered him to leave without checking into it."

The officer nodded his understanding. "Do you have a picture?"

"Yes, here it is. Unfortunately it doesn't really do justice to him."

Ellison looked over the newspaper clipping photo and silently agreed. It would be hard to find someone based on this picture only. Sure it gave the basic features but since it was black and white, it lost a little when looking for someone on the streets.

"Could you give me a description as well?"

"Yes, Blair is about 5'8" to 5'10". He has curly brown shoulder length hair with reddish highlights. His eyes are a beautiful blue a few shades lighter than your own. Blair was wearing a light blue jacket over a colorful vest and blue jeans. He was carrying a battered brown backpack."

"Ok, I was told he was heading to the shelter about fifteen blocks from here. Unfortunately, it is on the other side of street where both male and female hookers hang out."

"Oh dear, he's only sixteen."

"I'll do my best to find him."

"Thank you, I'll wait here for you to return. Mr. Harris should be returning soon."

Officer Ellison nodded and left.

Vera looked after him and prayed for him to find Blair. His appearance may be rough and his manners not much better but Vera felt he was a kind soul under all that.

~ ~ ~

Blair had reached the street where the hookers hung out. While he might have found it interesting to do a study on their lifestyle at some other time he only wanted to find a bed to sleep in. He was exhausted. Blair tried to keep close to the buildings and not draw any attention to himself but he was fresh meat on this street and the wolves could scent it.

"Hey, little one, how about spending some time with me?" a big man called out to Blair.

"Uh, no thank you," Blair replied nervously and hurried his steps.

Another man grabbed Blair's arm. "Hey kid you're on my turf. If you want, you can join my stable." He reached and squeezed Blair's privates.

"N-no," Blair protested pushing his hand away and jerking away.

Blair ran a little ways away and ducked into a dark alcove to catch his breath. He apprehensively watched the street workers proposition passers-by and get picked up. How was he going to get to the shelter safely? He hadn't made any headway on the street without getting propositioned himself by the men looking for a good time.

After five minutes of hiding, Blair decided to try again. He made sure his pack was on securely before stepping out of his temporary safety.

Blair managed to make it down half a block before being accosted again.

"Little sweet morsel, let's go party," a man who outweighed him by at least fifty pounds pushed him against the wall and tried to kiss him.

"No," Blair tried to say firmly as he pushed the man, trying to get free.

"Aw come on, don't be that way."

"No," Blair said again, struggling.

"So you're trying play shy with Billy, aren't you? There's no need, I like you just fine."

Blair continued trying to get away.

Suddenly a screech of brakes was heard and the man named Billy was pulled off of him. "Trying to work on your own, eh kid," the new man said. "Sy is not going to be happy. He's been looking for you."

"I-I don't know any Sy," Blair protested.

"Don't try to play dumb, Ricky, you were supposed to be on set two hours ago. I have better things to do then to look for you."

"But I'm not?." Blair started to protest again.

"Don't say another word if you know what's good for you. Sy is angry enough that he won't care what you look like when I take you in." The man grabbed Blair's arm and dragged him to the truck and threw him in. Just before he closed the door, he whispered: "Don't worry Blair; I'll get out this."

Blair starred in shock as the man jogged around the front of the truck and got in. How did this man know who he was?"

After the truck turned off the hustlers' street, it stopped in a darkened area.

"Are you alright, kid?" the man gruffly asked. "Billy is known to be a little rough."

Blair swallowed nervously and tried to open the door.

The man stopped him. "Oh no, you don't want to do that, Blair. There's no need to panic. I'm one of the good guys."

Blair looked at him. That was the second time he had called him by his own name. "How do you know my name?"

"Blair Sandburg, I was asked to find you and return you to Rainier. My name is Officer Ellison. I work in Vice."

Blair was grateful to be away from Billy and the others but was unsure whether or not to run yet. His adrenalin was still rushing through his bloodstream.

Jim waited for the kid to calm down some while making sure he didn't bolt. He looked impossibly young and despite being told he was sixteen, Blair seemed to be even younger.

Finally, Blair calmed down and relaxed against the seat. For some reason, he didn't doubt that this man was an officer despite how he was dressed. Something about him made him want to trust him.

"How come Rainier sent you after me?"

"Apparently, a mistake was make in the Student Housing Office and they want to correct it."

"A mistake?" Blair asked hopefully.

"Yes, but I'll let them explain it to you. Are you okay for us to continue back there?"

"Yes, I am."

~ ~ ~

The trip back was a lot faster than the walk to where Blair was accosted and rescued. The officer parked in front of the housing office and led the way inside.

Vera saw them come in and smiled.

"Thank you Officer for finding him," she said. "Blair, I'm sorry about earlier. Cynthia had made a mistake. There was a room set aside for you. Mr. Harris, my supervisor, had checked and made sure the room is ready for you. We can take care of the payment in the morning if you would like. I'm sure you are quite tired."

"Uh, thank you, but I would prefer to take care of it now."

"Alright, you can call me Vera. If you have any problems, just come and see me here."

Blair smiled a little and took off his backpack. He dug in it and pulled out a battered white sealed envelope. He handed it over. "I believe that should cover the dorm room for the year."

Vera opened the envelope and looked inside. There were several hundred dollar bills. She quickly counted them and nodded. It was enough to cover the cost of the dorm room and the other costs not covered by his scholarship.

"You know, dear, carrying this much cash can be very dangerous," she gently admonished him.

"I know but I don't have a bank account. The one bank I asked, said the only way was to put it into a trust account until I was eighteen. That wouldn't be any good since I needed to pay my expenses this year." Blair shrugged and grinned. "Besides, I never let on that I had that envelope of money. I always used the money in my jeans." With those words, he pulled out a couple of crumpled twenties and some change from his pocket. "Most people who look at me would never expect me to have much money."

Vera silently agreed but would never tell him that. "Despite that, it still wasn't a good idea. If you would like, I could take you to my bank so you can get an account that you can use when you need to."

"Thank you, Vera," Blair said with a heartwarming smile. He turned to the Officer standing by the door. "Thank you as well, Officer Ellison, for rescuing me."

"You're welcome, kid," Jim said gruffly. "And stay away from that section of town. It's not safe."

"I will, I promise," Blair said solemnly and offered his hand to shake on it.

Jim shook Blair's hand. "I've got to go now. Be safe, kid."

Blair watched him leave hoping he would see him again sometime. Despite his gruffness, Blair thought he could be a friend.

"Well, Blair, let's get you settled," Vera said. "If you will follow me, I'll show you where your room is."

~ ~ ~

Blair settled into his room and classes. He visited with Vera several times but never saw the rude clerk again. He quite often thought of Officer Ellison but never did see him again but still some small part of him believed he would again when it was time.

The end.