Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
719
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,343

Ducks in a Row

Summary:

Answer to WWOMB Improv #1 using the words drip, freaky, hooked up, duck walk, and fake

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Ducks in a Straight Row
By Jo Jo lee

 

Sunnyvale Convalescence Home and Adult Facility for the Mentally Challenged
Counseling Office 23

"It started with a drip. I opened my eyes and saw nothing, but I heard it. Drip, drip, drip. I shut my eyes and tried to tune it out. When that didn't work, I tried to find some soothing rhythm in the continual plopping. There was nothing soothing about it, but it did have a rhythm, an annoying one. Drip, drip, drip. I gave up and opened my eyes and turned my head towards the sound. The room was dark, but light shown from a brightly lit hallway.

I could see that the hallway was decorated by a brightly painted mural with happy animals all going somewhere. It looked so fake! Whatever idiot painted it didn't get it right?baby ducks walk in a straight line. Not these baby ducks, half of them were wandering around like curious kittens. I found it more annoying than the drip, drip, drip.

I turned by head slightly to get a look at the lettering and found out that it was not one idiot, but a herd of them. The mural was signed by a lot of badly written signatures. I twisted a bit more and was informed in block prints that the signatures all belonged to
residents of Ward C. I wondered about that, but couldn't make any sense of it.

I tried to sit up to get yet a better look but I tangled myself up in some sort of hook-up. Hook-up? Damn it, I realized that I was in wrist restraints. I tried to move my legs, somebody had put ankle restraints on me, too.

I didn't know where the hell I was? I didn't remember being there before. It was some kind of hospital. I wondered how I ended up on a children's ward. I thought maybe overcrowding, but then I thought maybe I was a child. It was then I remembered I was a cop, not a child. I couldn't figure out what the hell had happened?

I laid my head back down. I wondered if I got shot or maybe I got injured? I took inventory of my body and I couldn't find any serious damage. My muscles hurt, I felt weak, but basically I was alright. I looked around for the nurse's call button and didn't see it. I started getting anxious. This was too freaky.

I looked back at the wayward ducks, maybe their mother was gone. I couldn't see any mother duck. I thought if the mother was gone, then the ducks would not have any way to know to stay in a straight line. They needed a pathway to guide them.

I tried to remember who was missing, I had the feeling that I wasn't remembering something important and then I thought, it's probably just the mother duck.

I closed my eyes and everything faded into unimportance, except for those misguided baby ducks. I needed to fix them, needed to fix them right away but I was too tired. My mind drifted and the thing that I wanted most to do was fill a pond the size of an ocean so the drips would finally stop and build a proper duck walk so the stupid ducks could walk in a straight line. Of course, sidewalks and trails did little to keep people in straight lines, but people were even stupider than ducks.

I finally was able to ignore the drips as I kept pushing the ducks into a straight line. For some reason it was terribly important that those ducks walk in a straight line, more important than any other thing. I kept pushing them back on the duck walk, kept guiding back the way they were suppose to go.

I don't remember falling asleep, I only know that I was exhausted. The ducks never understood. I don't think I understood either, I still don't."

"What don't you understand, Adrian?"

"I don't understand why I couldn't get those ducks in a straight row."

"Adrian, they weren't real."

"I'm not sure I was real either. I`m still not sure."

*****************************

Except from fist session with Adrian Monk after waking from a comatose state. See medical record 1a, p. 346 for details.

 

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Jo Jo lee.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.