Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
360
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
992

Random Factors

Summary:

Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important. It’s also completely unpredictable, as Querl Dox has found out.

Work Text:

Random Factors

***

Love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important.
Lisa Hoffman

***

Science is all about predictability. Querl Dox, Brainiac 5, never considers an experiment concluded until he has proven conclusively to himself - it is rare that anyone else's opinion has any bearing on his studies - that the outcome will always be the same. Predictable. Brainy has conducted an almost immeasurable number of experiments in his life. Some were unsuccessful experiments. Theories that were tested, and though at first they proved to give the looked for result, when the experiment was repeated to check for consistency, there was none, and entirely new hypotheses had to be formed. A large amount of the experiments were mostly successful; hypotheses that had to be altered slightly in order to yield consistency of their results. A smaller number were entirely successful experiments, completely consistent, with no need for revised hypotheses. Some experiments were very successful. Even if, at first, there seemed to be no inherent consistency to the effects that were caused, the ultimate outcomes were the same. Brainy hopes that this is one experiment that will follow in line with that. Brainy has heard it said (and by Lyle Norg, Invisible Kid, which compounds its significant to his case) that love is like pi: natural, irrational, and very important. Lyle is certainly as irrational as any human, albeit more intelligent than most. Brainy has had to allow for a certain randomness in his newest experiment because of those facts. Traditionally (at least on Earth and Colu; other planets are not applicable in this case) when one kisses someone whom one has affection for, if the someone in question returns that affection, they will kiss back. Brainy considers this to have been one of the more enjoyable hypotheses he will ever have to test. Though, really, if Lyle takes so long to respond the next time he kisses him, he might just have to restructure his experiment so as to give the other man warning beforehand. It would invalidate the experiment, and the outcomes might not be as assured, but then, emotions are not scientific, and unpredictability can be...rewarding.