Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
801
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
923

Eternal Spring

Summary:

Fandom: MASH
Summary: May I post a challenge? A fic starting with 'Once upon a time...' It was originally posted by Raven on the other board. This is my response.
A/N: -- for flashbacks. Pronouns are a bit confusing. Fairly weird.
Pairing: Trapper/Hawkeye.

Work Text:

Eternal Spring
by Littlexpinch

Once upon a time, in a distant place, there was a young man. Now though, this young man is not young. He is old, time has stolen has his youth.

He sits on his veranda and watches the seasons pass by. His favourite is spring for it holds many beautiful memories of a distant place from another lifetime.

--Water rushes through the brook with a constant babble. It washes away the blood. The grass is green and flowers are blooming. Such is spring in Korea--

He spends all day out there come rain snow or sleet. They say he sleeps out there but he does not. He retreats into his home and remembers his other life.

--A warm strong hand gripped his as they dangled their legs in the stream. It was cold but not uncomfortably so. It was refreshing, but refreshing was not what they had in mind--

The children spend all day watching him. They hide behind bushes but are still as plain as day. They point and whisper, wondering why he spends his days like so. They cannot see what he sees; they cannot be what he is.

--They strip down and lie in the shallows, letting the cool water run over them. It raises goosebumps as they cuddle up for warmth.--

There is an echoing pain in his eyes. He lost something, something he loved, and will never find it again. The children don't see this. They see a strange old man sitting on his porch listening to
invisible murmurs.

--"Do you love me?"

"More than life itself."

"I love you too."--

He seldom smiles. Tears often flow freely down his withered face. He does not know if they are tears for himself or all he has lost. He does not know if the one he misses hears his tears. He just does not know.

--"What'll happen when this is over?"

"I'll stay with. Just the word and I will stay."

"I can't do that. Kathy?Becky?they need a Daddy."

"Just say the word." Sweet kisses grew, becoming more hungry and demanding. There was no more time for sweetness, it was time for passion.--

He was trapped in eternal winter and he longed for spring. More than anything he wanted to return to the spring, to the sweetness, to the passion. He wanted those whispered words to be real. He wanted so much and had nothing but memories.

--As it was the cold made no difference. Cool water running over hot flesh. A searing mouth worked its way down his body. He gasped and grabbed a fistful of jet-black hair as the mouth met his erection. Soon he was crying out the name of the one he loved.--

The memories made him hurt. It was an ache deep in the pit of his stomach. A lifetime of unshed tears and unsaid words. His future was growing bleaker with every passing day. All his family had gone, all his friends had gone, it was just him and what had come to pass.

--He had a few minutes to recover before returning the favour. He snaked his hand down between them and slowly worked his magic. It was not long before he was rewarded as lean surgeon's fingers pulled at his curls and his name echoed into the night.--

All that was gone now. He still wanted those whispered words to be true, he wished he had said yes but it could not be. His loves honour and his own cowardice brought there relationship to an end. He could not be stolen away from his children. He loved his children as much as he loved him though. The inescapable truth was love was not enough. His lifetimes were incompatible. Korea could not meet home.

--"Promise you won't forget me?"

"You're unforgettable."

"I love you."

"I love you too."--

His black-haired companion was long since gone. It is said it was suicide but he could not accept that. Life was too precious to him. He knew what had killed him, it was the same thing that slowly stealing his own life. He died of a broken heart and broken memories.

--"Forever Hawk.

"Forever Trap."--

One day he would not make it out to the veranda. One day the memories would take him to where he needed to be. He prayed it was a day before he forgot the face of the one he loved. If he ever forgot that face all would be lost. There is no happily ever after for him. Life holds only haunting memories of love and only death can relieve him. He clings dearly to the memories until the day he is set free into eternal spring.

 

--Forever--