Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
738
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
784

Happily Ever After

Summary:

RATING: G
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Farscape. It belongs to a bunch of people that are not me. I mean no harm, I come in peace.
SUMMARY: Um... it's post-ABL...
ARCHIVING: My site (The Page O'Farscape), and if April, Dani, Jill or Laura want it, go ahead, it's yours. Anyone else, just ask me first. I have a habit of saying yes.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Sorry for the lack of summary, don't wanna spoil it. And mucho thanks to Jo, my BETA reader!
Submitted through the AerynsFarscape mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Happily Ever After
by Natalie Williams

"Would it help if I said I'm sorry?"

Aeryn turned at the sound of the voice, and was almost surprised to see him there. She had expected him to leave at the first possible chance after what had happened. "It could be a start," she said, suddenly becoming more aware of the bandage taped over her stab wound.

Larraq sent her that little smile of his. "Then I'm sorry," he said.

Somehow those words meant a lot coming from him. Maybe because he didn't need to apologize. What he'd done to her wasn't his fault. "I'm surprised to see you still here," she admitted, looking back down to the controls in front of her. She didn't want to face him- she didn't even know why. She just couldn't handle that right now.

He didn't let her get away with it, though. Larraq came up in front of the console, and she could feel his eyes on her. "I have some questions," he said. "I want answers."

"What kind of questions?" Not that she didn't know exactly what the questions were.

"Who are you?"

It should have been an easy question to answer. She was Aeryn Sun. Special Peacekeeper Commando. Well, at least she was at one time. Now she was an ex-Peacekeeper, a fugitive running for her life, fighting for her right to live. Aeryn found herself choking back a bitter-sounding laugh, shaking her head. "That's a good question," she said. "I wish I had an answer."

"But you're not really a Peacekeeper," Larraq stated. "Could have fooled me. Did fool me."

"No, I'm not," Aeryn said quietly. "Not anymore."

He lifted her chin with his hand, forcing her to look him in the eye. "And beyond that?" he asked.

Aeryn didn't even answer. Not that she had an answer to give.

Larraq raised his eyebrows. "There has to be more to you than that."

*You can be more.* Those words had been haunting her for so long... At one time they had been her driving force, and now she had to question what 'being more' really meant. And if it was worth it.

"Next question?" Aeryn said, sending her gaze down to the controls once again.

"Do you believe in happily ever after?"

She looked up at him, frowning. Had he just said that? She'd heard John mention it once before, and he had tried to explain, but it was just another one of those things she didn't understand. And didn't necessarily want to. "Have you been talking to Crichton?" she asked.

That smile again. "I believe I asked you a question," he told her.

Aeryn wanted to smile. She really did, and she didn't even know why. She resisted the urge to do so, looking up at him to meet his eye. "Ask me again sometime."

"It's a shame I can't," he said, a hint of sadness in his voice. "Aeryn, listen to me."

"Is that an order?" she teased.

She was startled when he laid his hand over hers on the console. "If you have a chance for happily ever after, don't take it for granted," he told her in a low voice. "I'm sorry I can't offer you that."

She blinked, suddenly completely confused. "What are you talking about?" she asked.

He didn't answer. Larraq simply let go of her hand, and turned to leave.

Aeryn turned around, watching his back as he moved farther away from her. "Larraq," she called-

She woke up suddenly, jolting a little as she did so. Aeryn blinked, and was almost alarmed to see that she was crying. That wasn't supposed to happen, was it? She lifted a hand to her face, wiping the tears away from her eyes.

What had he said again, that thing about 'happily ever after'? She'd never given it a second thought, yet something about that phrase had obviously stuck with her. How had that figured into the dream again? The details were already beginning to fade.

Aeryn turned her head, seeing John still lying next to her. Right. He had insisted on staying there unless she promised to stay put, and had therefore ended up sleeping there. At least one of them was sleeping soundly.

She smiled to herself. Well, whatever this 'happily ever after' thing was, she just might be open to the possibility. Maybe. She'd have to ask him about that one again.

END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Natalie Williams.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.