Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
970
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
873

Unforeseen Circumstances

Summary:

Blair has (another) accident

Work Text:

Unforeseen Circumstances
By Debbie

 

Jim Ellison was going to kill his roommate. It was going to be a slow and painful death. A long, drawn out death.

 

Jim had arrived home a few minutes ago, tired from a full, long day of chasing criminals and dealing with uncooperative witnesses without the help of his partner, Blair Sandburg. Blair had called before noon, telling Jim he was unable to join him at the station because of students wanting to ask him questions about the mid-term and their mid-term papers. Jim said he understood. Blair hung up, with the promise to be home early and to have a home-cooked meal ready for
Jim. Jim looked forward to Blair's home-cooked meals. Blair was a good cook.

 

However, as Jim neared the loft, he smelled no enticing smells nor heard any movement from inside the loft. And Blair's car hadn't been in the lot when he came home.

 

As Jim walked inside the loft, it was obvious Blair wasn't home. And Jim was just a little pissed, because he was looking forward to relaxing with Blair and enjoying a home-cooked meal. Relaxing with Blair always seemed to make the trials and tribulations of the day seem less stressful. Jim walked towards the kitchen and saw the message light flashing on the phone as he went to get a beer out of the fridge. He pressed down the button.

 

Blair's voice filled the void. "Jim? It's me. I guess you're not
there. Can you come...? Never mind. I know you've had along day. They're going to let me out tomorrow. That's what Dr.Schwartz said. Just..."

 

The message cut off at that point. The phone had been disconnected. Jim listened to the message again, listening to Blair's forlorn voice. Jim deduced that it must be from the hospital. Jim could hear sounds in the background. Now, he just had to find out which hospital Blair was a patient. Blair sounded like a little kid that was in trouble and didn't want to cause any more trouble. But it was no trouble to Jim. He'd find Blair and find out what happened.

 

Jim looked at his watch. It was just past 6:30. He got out phone book and opened it to hospitals. He started with the list. He found Blair after the fourth call, St. Thomas Hospital.

 

The nurse assured him that Blair wasn't seriously hurt. He had a broken left ankle, bumps and bruises and cuts and a moderate concussion. He seemed to be resting quietly right now after getting pain medication for the ache in his head. Visiting hours lasted until 8:30 PM.

 

As soon as Jim hung up the phone, he got ready to leave. Blair had called, asking for him. Jim would go see how he was doing.

"Of course I'll come, Chief." Jim cared about his partner. The
earlier threats of a slow death had been premature.

 

Jim drove to St. Thomas Hospital. It was near the university and Jim wondered what had happened. Blair hadn't given any indication on the message he had left. Hopefully, Blair would be able to tell him when he arrived. Or maybe the nursing staff had an idea what had happened.

 

Jim arrived at the hospital and parked in the visitors' lot. He
walked inside the hospital and saw the woman sitting at the
information desk. He walked up to the desk and asked what room Blair Sandburg was in. The woman told him room 344. She instructed him to take one of the elevators on the left side of the corridor. The elevator arrived and Jim rode up to the third floor. He got off the elevator and went in the direction of room 344. It was a double room and Jim saw that there was a man in his fifties in the bed by the door. Jim acknowledged the man and continued on to the curtained off
area of the room. As he neared the curtain, Jim could pick up the familiar beat of Blair's heart. And he could hear the soft snores.

 

Jim moved around the curtain and took in the appearance of his partner. Blair was sound asleep in the bed. Jim saw a few cuts on Blair's cheek and a bandage that was above his right eye. Jim neared the bed and reached out to touch Blair on his right arm. To his surprise, Blair's eyes slowly opened and he looked at Jim.

 

"Hey, buddy. How are you doing?" Jim noticed Blair seemed groggy.

 

"'m sorry." Blair slurred the words, but Jim understood.

 

"Hey, there's nothing to be sorry about. Can you tell me what
happened?" Jim thought he would at least try to get the story.

 

"tru...ck. po... lice cam'. tic... ket."

 

"You got a ticket?" Jim couldn't believe Blair would be in the wrong.

 

"no... not me." Blair was fading fast.

 

"I just wanted to see how you were doing, Blair. I'll let you get
some rest."

 

"I bo-ther-ed you..."

 

"It was no bother, Chief. I'm glad you called. I would have worried otherwise." Jim knew Blair wasn't a bother, and would never be.

 

The soft snores reached Jim's ears again. Blair was out for the count. Jim smiled. He went to pull over a chair over by the window. He already decided to stay a while. Just for Blair. Jim knew he could find out about the accident later. As he sat there, he let the familiar sounds and scents wash over him, as his worry dissipated. Blair would be fine and Jim would be able to take him home tomorrow. Jim relaxed, Blair by his side.