Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
707
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,138

Infiltrator

Summary:

This is the plot bunny that popped into my head at work one day, and wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it.
Call this one an AU/crossover with Wild Wild West.
One possible reason why Hannibal Heyes might have entered a life of crime...
Rating: FRC
Submitted through the 'YG deleted' liasSmithAndJones mailing list. Please join us at AliasSmithAndJonesFic

Work Text:

Infiltrator
by Stardust

The young agent stood at attention before the Secret Service's director. The ramrod straightness of his posture betrayed a military background. The assurance in his stance spoke of a depth of experience that belied his twenty-one years. Calm, intelligent eyes were fixed upon his superior intently, waiting to hear the reason for the abrupt summons to this office.

"Lieutenant, we have your next assignment."

Artemus Gordon stood to one side in tight-lipped silence as Colonel Richmond spoke. He was unhappy with the assignment chosen for this agent. Even a seasoned man would find it difficult to maintain the role he would be called upon to play for possibly years on end. Gordon found himself fearing for his friend. "Sir--"

Richmond shot him a quelling glare. "The matter is settled, Mr. Gordon. Don't force me to dismiss you from this briefing."

"Yes, sir." Gordon made no attempt to keep his anger hidden.

Richmond visibly dismissed his presence as he began to outline the mission.

Artemus knew Richmond thought his objections were based on personal feelings. It was true that the young man was his protege. It was natural that he would be hesitant to send him into danger.

Ruefully, Gordon conceded the truth in that. He had no desire to watch the lieutenant be killed.

He had spotted the young man's potential as an agent when he was still a mere boy. After the War, he had spearheaded the drive to offer the remarkable young man a place at West Point. Later, he had recruited him into the Secret Service.

He admitted to himself that he'd had hopes of acquiring the man's brilliant mind for the research division, but the War had altered the quiet scholar into a man of action. Now, nothing less than field work would satisfy him.

"I'm to do what, sir?"

Ah, Richmond was getting to the meat of the matter. Artemus focused on the conversation once more.

"Pose as a criminal. Your assignment is to infiltrate the criminal element. You'll keep your eyes and ears open, reporting periodically on their movements and activities. I want you to be especially vigilant regarding former Confederate officers."

"Johnstone Leeson." The name came out in a curiously flat voice.

"Among others." Richmond dismissively ignored the name and its implications for the young agent. "There are rumors many former Confederates refuse to accept Washington's rule."

"Wonder why?" the lieutenant murmured sarcastically.

"We believe they may try to finance an uprising through criminal enterprises."

"I see, sir." Dark eyes flickered to Gordon and back to Richmond. "Sir, if I may, how long will this assignment last?"

"Until we are satisfied the threat no longer exists." Richmond fixed a cold-eyed stare on the lieutenant. "You will continue the assignment until recalled. Do you understand, Lieutenant?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Dismissed."

The young man executed a precise about-face and strode confidently out of the office.

Gordon watched him exit with a troubled gaze. There were hidden dangers here no one who hadn't trod the boards would appreciate.

Richmond glared at his senior agent. "You have something further to add, Mr. Gordon?"

"Yes, Colonel, I do." Gordon faced his superior, determined to have his say, however futile it may prove. "We've never sent an agent into the field on such a prolonged assignment before. We have no idea of the possible effects on the agent.

"How long, sir, before the lines begin to blur? What happens when that young man is forced to stop posing as a criminal and actually become one to continue the mission? Will we be forced to send him to prison for doing his duty?"

"Nonsense. He's received the best training this country can provide. I have no doubt he will perform with distinction."

Gordon merely shook his head. He had the feeling they would come to regret sending Lieutenant Heyes on this mission.

His suspicions were proven correct a mere three years later, when Hannibal Heyes and his partner Kid Curry assumed control of the Devil's Hole Gang, and began their careers as the two most successful outlaws in the history of the West.

 

End