Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
759
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
8
Hits:
855

Doctor’s Orders

Summary:

Gibbs is getting restless in Mexico. Set after Hiatus II.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Doctor's Orders
By Periwinkle

Gibbs wasn't healed, but he wasn't hurting as much. He realized he would always hurt some; he would have to learn to manage. Unfortunately, his way of managing was to keep himself busy and not think. All he was doing in Mexico was lazing about.

In the beginning, it had been a good idea to go to Mexico. Staying at NCIS would have torn him apart. All those people trying to take care of him. He hated that. Mike was a good companion; he didn't trouble him -- just handed him beers and fishing tackle. Let Gibbs sit and shut himself off. He was just a body occupying the same general space as Gibbs. However, now Gibbs was wondering if it was time to try something new. Maybe do something physical? He was getting out-of-shape.

Gibbs sat on the beach and cast out his fishing line. He lay back and took a swig of beer and tipped his hat over his eyes.

"What you really need is a boat."

Gibbs jerked upright, spilling his beer. What the...? "Duck?" He turned and looked over his shoulder.

It was. Ducky was standing behind him in khakis and a button-down shirt. At least no cardigan in Mexico, Gibbs thought.

Getting to his feet, Gibbs walked over to Ducky. "Duck, what are you doing here?"

"You missed your checkup with the doctor, my dear."

"No doctors, Duck."

"This doctor, Jethro. Any beer for me?"

"You don't drink beer."

"I'll survive."

Gibbs sat down, Ducky sitting next to him. They each got a can of beer, took a swallow and then just sat there in silence.

After awhile, Gibbs began to realize something. He and Mike sat, not talking, every day. But with Ducky, it felt better. It was companionable. He moved closer to Ducky and rubbed his shoulder.

"Duck?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Thanks."

Ducky smiled at him and rested his head against Gibbs. Gibbs put his arm around Ducky's shoulder. He ruffled Ducky's hair. Ducky nestled closer. And Gibbs let the afternoon drift past, content to just sit quietly together.

Later that night the three men sat inside eating dinner. Gibbs would have liked to have eaten outside, but he knew that Ducky was too fair-skinned to be in the sun for long. He still wasn't sure why Ducky was there, and he had to find out.

"Duck. This better not involve work."

Ducky quirked his lips. "Jethro, you have twenty years and numerous inches on me. Do you think I'd dare travel all the way here just to have you turn on me? Although, if you remember, there was that time when we were investigating the homicide in Maryland where the two cops..."

Gibbs just let the story roll over him. After all, it wasn't as if he couldn't recite it himself. But after awhile he realized that Duck was looking at him.

"Sorry, Duck. What did you say?"

"Many things my dear, but you drifted off about one-third of the way through. However, the important part was that I was telling you that I'm going back to Scotland for two weeks. A dear friend of mine is having a birthday. Anyway, it occurred to me that the Orkney Islands are known for their cruising areas..." Ducky let his speech trail off.

Gibbs sat there for a minute or two. Then he got impatient. Hell, if it had been DiNozzo, he would have slapped his head. But this was Ducky.

"Duck," he growled.

"Well, Jethro, I thought it might be fun to get a boat and cruise while I'm there."

"So go. You came to Mexico to get my permission?"

"No, I came to get a crew. You know I can't sail a boat like that alone. And there is no crew I'd rather have than you."

Gibbs looked up, startled. "You want me to go to Scotland with you?"

"Yes, Jethro, my dear. I thought we could just get the boat, not make any plans and just drift around enjoying the scenery. You could still fish if you wanted to. Unless you'd rather not be saddled with a silly old man."

"Oh, Duck," said Gibbs and went over and wrapped his arms around Ducky. "Not a silly old man. And I guess I've missed you too."

"Thank you."

Gibbs squeezed Ducky a little tighter. He thought. Two weeks on a boat. Just the sound of the water and Ducky's endless stories washing over him. No cares. No thoughts. No memories.

Right now, that sounded like just the right prescription.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Periwinkle.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.