Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-20
Words:
19,017
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
2,694

Tokens Of Remembrance

Summary:

Four months after Data’s initial activation he was still being treated like a sophisticated automaton by the scientists studying him at the institute, until Doctor Leah Aaron arrived for her summer internship and offered him – an apple. From that moment on, things began to change. Now, almost thirty years later, the doctor and the android meet again. Doctor Aaron has enjoyed a successful career in bio-genetics, but something in her past is holding her back, something that might threaten not only her future but Commander Data’s future as well.

Chapter 1: One

Chapter Text

Title: Tokens Of Remembrance
Author: Poodle
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Four months after Data's initial activation he was still being treated like a sophisticated automaton by the scientists studying him at the institute, until Doctor Leah Aaron arrived for her summer internship and offered him - an apple. From that moment on, things began to change. Now, almost thirty years later, the doctor and the android meet again. Doctor Aaron has enjoyed a successful career in bio-genetics, but something in her past is holding her back, something that might threaten not only her future but Commander Data's future as well.

Author's notes: // represent the past.

 

 

 

TOKENS OF REMEMBRANCE
By Poodle~

 

//"It's adorable! Do you think we can coax it over here?" Leah Aaron could barely contain her enthusiasm as she stared across the lab at the lone figure peering out a window.

"It's neither adorable nor a thing." Doctor Gabriel Harmon turned an amused gaze on the young woman at his side. "It's a he, and his name's Data."

"Maybe this will tempt it over." Lee snatched her lunch container, scrambled through the contents and withdrew an apple that she placed in her hand and timidly proffered to the figure who remained oblivious. "Here...android," she called softly. "Come here, boy."

Doctor Harmon began to chuckle as the android cocked his head and turned curious eyes in their direction.

"Here, android." Excitement trembled in her voice.

"He's not a pet." Harmon's brown eyes teared with mirth. "Didn't anyone tell you that we were keeping the android on site?"

"The project's pretty hush, hush." Aaron's voice fell to a whisper of awe as the android began to slowly cross the lab toward them. "He's got yellow eyes!"

"He's an absolute marvel, but you're not to tell a soul about him. We've only been studying him for about three months, since the Tripoli brought him in. He's Doctor Radmilla's project, and he's very proprietary. If you want your internship to run smoothly, you won't get on old Radmilla's bad side. He's a real pain in the..." The young man drew in his breath and shook his head. "You get the picture. He'd have me out of here in a second if he could, but I've been walking on eggshells so he really doesn't have a leg to stand on."

Aaron squealed with delight when the android finally moved within touching distance of her outstretched hand. "Here. It's for you, android." She offered the apple.

"My name is Data." He cocked his head in a stilted staccato as he examined the fruit from every possible angle without bothering to remove it from the woman's hand.

"It's an apple...Data. I'm giving it to you," she breathed as she studied the inquisitive creature with the wide, yellow eyes who seemed captivated by her offering, but unwilling to touch it. "You eat it."

Data blinked and turned his unsettling eyes on Lee. "I do not require the consumption of edibles to facilitate essential biological or metabolic functions."

"Can't you eat?" A frown marred her brow.

"I am capable of that function, but it is not required." He looked bewildered as she continued to offer the token.

"Try it; it tastes good."

"Tastes?" The android's interest was caught. "I have never tasted an apple."

Aaron burst into a grin and placed it gingerly into his palm, fascinated but still reluctant to actually touch the creature.

"Apple." A slight smile tipped the android's pale lips as he touched the fruit to his nose and sniffed. "A firm edible fruit derived from the receptacle of flowers borne on the Malus tree." His eyes eagerly sought hers. "Is it permissible for me to examine a tree, as well?"

"Excuse me?"

"Such fruit is harvested from trees, is it not? My files are replete with information pertaining to the cultivation and harvesting of many such seed plants. I thought, perhaps, I would be permitted to see a tree."

Aaron's eyes grew round with surprise. "Haven't you ever seen a tree?"

Data turned with a slightly mechanical gait and gazed toward the portal facing the courtyard of the Institute. "There are several within my visual perimeter, but I have yet to examine them. I have determined those to be oaks, but further evaluation is necessary if my conclusions are to be verified."

"Haven't you been outside?"

"I have not," he responded softly. "I wish to examine those, if I may." He pointed toward the window, then the apple in his hand again captivated his eyes.

"Gabe, why don't we take him for a walk?" Aaron turned to the doctor at her side with sudden enthusiasm.

"This isn't our project, Lee." Harmon sobered and shook his head. "We'd better not get involved. I assist Doctor Radmilla occasionally, and so far, my record's unblemished. The man's pretty powerful, he can make or break a career; you'd better remember that if you intend to get anywhere in cybernetics. If he drums you out of here, you can kiss your admittance to the academy good-bye."

"Surely he wouldn't mind; the grounds are contained--"

"What the hell are you doing?"

The angry voice startled Aaron, and she turned in surprise as a bearded man stormed into the lab.

Tobias Radmilla pursed his lips with impatience, stalked toward the android and snatched the apple from his hand. Data's eyes followed it with bewilderment and a hint of longing as it disappeared into Radmilla's lab coat.

"I've warned you about disturbing the variables of my experiment." He turned on Harmon without a glance at Aaron. "If I catch you interfering with this android again without my permission, I'll have your butt in a sling. Do I make myself clear, Harmon?"

The young man swallowed and gave a curt nod.

Radmilla turned his attention on Aaron who took a hesitant step back.

"I'm sorry...Doctor," she began. "I didn't know."

The man's weathered face slowly lost its hardened edge, and suddenly he smiled. "Lee Aaron, my summer intern. I wasn't expecting such a lovely young lady."

Color heightened her cheeks. "I'm sorry about your...Data; he just looked so lonely."

"Android's don't get lonely, child. Besides, it wasn't your fault." His eyes cut to Harmon and hardened, then returned to the woman. He smiled. "Now that you understand the importance of my work, I'm certain it won't happen again."

"I didn't mean to interfere--"

Radmilla wrapped an arm around her shoulder, taking her by surprise and leading her away from the android.

"Query: Will we not be examining a tree?"

The soft voice reached Aaron's ears, she stalled but Radmilla's arm prevented her from turning.

"It would seem I shall never see a tree." The android's voice held a hollow tone as it drifted after them.//

 

~*~*~*~*~*

 

"You actually coaxed Data to you with an apple, Doctor Aaron?" Commander LaForge burst into a grin and leaned toward the distinguished doctor sitting next to Doctor Crusher at the reception table.

A hint of color touched Doctor Aaron's cheeks. "You must understand, Commander, I'd never seen anyone quite like Data before. In fact, no one had. I'm afraid I was young and a bit foolish. He graciously forgave the insult in the weeks to come."

"My discovery was quite recent at the time." Commander Data spoke from the opposite end of the table, catching the attention of the Enterprise officers assembled there. "Doctor Aaron's confusion was understandable. When the Tripoli delivered me to the Institute, my status was uncertain even to myself. My activation had occurred only four months before my initial encounter with Ms. Aaron. I construed her offer of fruit as a gesture of goodwill, and it was the first such acknowledgment of my presence I had received. Thus far, the Humans I encountered talked at and around me, but seldom to me. I often queried, to excess in fact, but they construed my attempts to communicate as an annoyance." He thought for a moment, shrugged, then added, "It is possible that many still do."

Doctor Aaron laughed and looked toward the end of the table where Data sat. "As it turned out, Data and I were two fish out of water. I was an enthusiastic, seventeen year old who'd been granted an extremely fortunate summer internship working at one of Starfleet's most prestigious research centers. I was full of dreams and ambitions, but little common sense. We sort of looked out for one another. Data provided a listening ear to a young girl far from home."

"And Ms. Aaron provided me with much needed information," the android added. "Books, in fact, and, in time, access to computer files that until then had been denied me. She greatly aided my development."

"The poor thing was stuck in a sterile cubicle of an environment. I foolishly smuggled books to him." The woman laughed. "If I knew then what I know now about the risk I was taking, I don't know if I would have had the courage."

"We don't often have the opportunity to meet people from Mister Data's past," Commander Riker commented from where he sat next to Counselor Deanna Troi. "This is a rare privilege."

"I go back about as far as it gets; you might say we were kids together. But I haven't seem him in almost thirty years." Her eyes twinkled as they sought the android. "You've done well for yourself, Data; your career is quite distinguished; the Enterprise is a fine ship. Doctor Harmon and I always knew you'd succeed if you were given half a chance."

"Have you seen Doctor Harmon?" Data inquired.

"It's been years. I almost married Gabe, you know."

"You were certainly endeavoring to do so at the time."

"Shamelessly so." Aaron began to laugh. "I pursued him with all the dauntless enthusiasm my youth could muster. We became great friends, but it didn't work out in the long run. We kept up with your Starfleet career, though, and we were very proud of what you achieved."

"Your career in bio-genetics is equally impressive," Doctor Crusher interjected. "I'm honored to have this opportunity to be working with you. I'm flattered you accepted my offer to continue your current research aboard the Enterprise. I'm convinced that between the two of us we can solve the Valdarian problem of genetic breakdown."

"Doctor Aaron," Data again sought her attention. "I do have an inquiry. Although your work with bio-genetics is quite renowned, your research in cybernetics was likewise distinguished. You received numerous commendations in the field, yet deviated from it to pursue entirely dissimilar research twenty years ago. Why?"

Aaron suddenly sobered and shrugged. "I lost interest."

A frown marred the android's brow at the abrupt change in mood. "Few scientists in the field possess your insight and ability. Cybernetics suffered a notable loss when you departed the Daystrom Institute."

"I prefer not to discuss it, Commander, if you don't mind." She shifted with unease and looked away. "I haven't worked in the field for twenty years. I like to think I've made significant inroads into the study of bio-genetics, inroads that will enrich and preserve life."

"Cybernetics' loss was mankind's gain." Doctor Crusher intervened when she noticed Aaron's apparent discomfort with the conversation's direction. "I've admired your work for years; the opportunity to collaborate with you is the dream of a lifetime. I hope you enjoy your stay aboard the Enterprise."

Aaron caught the doctor's eye and smiled. "I'm looking forward to our association. I'm convinced that together we can achieve great things."

 

~*~*~*~*~*

 

//"I thank you for the books, Lee."

The soft voice reached Aaron's ears just as Doctor Radmilla exited the room, and she turned to face the android seated in a corner of the lab. She placed a finger to her lips. "If Radmilla finds out about those, I'll be in deep shit."

"Query: 'Deep--"

"Big trouble."

"I am aware of the clandestine nature of your endeavors. I shall not betray your kindness."

Aaron cast a watchful glance over her shoulder, then hurried across the room to join him. "So you liked them, huh?"

"I am uncertain if 'like' is the proper word to use in conjunction with my current abilities, as I am unable to assimilate emotions as perceived by Humans. Perhaps this is a temporary lapse in my intended development. Nonetheless, I do...appreciate the knowledge your gifts imparted."

A smile brightened her face. "I'm sorry I couldn't get you anything else, but books are hard to come by, they're so archaic. The physics, science and history volumes belonged to my father. I refuse to take credit for the romance novels; they're my sister's."

"I found them most...enlightening."

She began to snicker. "Their cultural value is suspect, but they were all I could find."

"If it were possible for me to acquire access to the computer's core memory through the terminal contained in this room, my acquisition of information could be facilitated at a much greater rate."

The young woman bit her lip. "Data, look, I'm sorry, but if I go tampering with the computer access lines and get caught..." Her eyes cut to the door. "Radmilla would oust me in a flash."

"Query: 'Oust me in a flash'?"

"Toss me out the door."

The yellow eyes grew round. "Doctor Radmilla would seek to physically accost you for your gestures of assistance toward me?"

"Do you always take things so literally?" She laughed.

"If it is not your intent to mislead, why should I not?" He looked confused.

"You're silly, Data." She glanced over her shoulder. "I'll see what I can do about the computer. Maybe I can persuade Gabe to help me; I wouldn't mind having an excuse to get him involved in a project." She grinned and gave him a wink. "He's kind of cute."

"It would be most appreciated," he told her softly.

She reached out and gave his arm a squeeze. "Radmilla's so stodgy. He's nice enough to me, but he treats everyone else...pretty bad. I don't know why he isolates you the way he does."

The android crooked his head at an awkward angle and studied Aaron's hand gripping his arm, then he tilted it again and looked into her face with a steady stare. "The books you provided me were most interesting. Although my files are complete with much of the physics information, I found myself quite deficient in areas pertaining to the intricacies of romance."

"Those books can hardly be considered proper guidelines for social development." She snickered with amusement. "I shouldn't have brought them to you."

"I found them most intriguing."

She patted his arm again. "I'll see if I can dig something up to countermand any damage they may have caused your programming."

"My diagnostic centers reveal no abnormalities as a result of their input."

"You're funny, Data." She shook her head. "You make me laugh. I like that."

"Such was not my intent." He looked bewildered.

"I'd better leave before Radmilla comes back and finds me talking with you. He's been pretty tolerant so far, but I'd better not push it." She started to turn when Data seized her hand, startling her. "Is something wrong?"

"Negative. I merely wish to examine..." He abruptly reached up, and without warning, pressed his hand against her breast.

Aaron squealed and pulled free.

Data's eyes flew wide. "Why did you emit that sound? It is indicative of distress, is it not?"

The woman caught her breath and fought to recover her composure. "You don't grab people like that; it's a good way to get yourself slapped."

"You are female, are you not?" Confusion painted his features. "My files contain extensive information pertaining to your gender, but I have yet to examine--"

"Your time will come, I assure you." She managed to calm her shattered nerves. "I guess those damned books of mine really did screw you up. Look." She met his eyes with a firm but nurturing gaze. "It's socially unacceptable to touch an individual's private areas without permission."

"Private?" He thought for a moment, then brightened. "The areas delineating gender."

"Correct. Humans generally respond violently when their physical integrity is threatened."

"I should have sought permission?" The android assumed a bewildered expression. "Why have I observed no such concessions with regard to my personal autonomy?"

His question caught her by surprise, and she found herself momentarily at a loss for words. "You're simply responding the way you've been taught, aren't you, Data? This is the way you've been treated," she said softly. "The scientists here are studying you--"

"As I wish to study you."

Aaron sank her teeth into her lip. "Look, I'm sorry, I don't have all the answers you're seeking. I'm trying to be your friend, but..." She drew a deep breath. "All I can say is that you can't go around grabbing members of the opposite gender without permission. It's just not done."

"Permission?" he countered softly. "Lee, may I--"

"No!"

He blinked in surprise then peeked up at her with contrite eyes. "Perhaps a visual analysis would be permitted?"

"You just don't quit, do you?" The woman huffed and shook her head. "This social isolation is inhibiting your development. You understand in theory, but the practicalities of life escape you."

"Is this response intended as a...no?"

"I'm afraid it is." She laughed in spite of her discomfort. "It wouldn't be appropriate. I understand your curiosity, but I can't appease it by allowing you to..." She shook her head in amusement and repeated, "Your time will come."

Her words only deepened his puzzlement. "I shall desist from any such requests in the future, if it is your desire."

She nodded then allowed herself to smile. "I'd better go."

"Lee?"

She paused and met his searching gaze.

"Would it be possible...?" He looked uncertain and glanced aside.

Her curiosity grew as his silence lengthened. "You never know if you don't ask."

He peeked his yellow eyes in her direction and inquired in a whisper, "May I...kiss you?"

Aaron gasped, then started to snicker. His request was so innocently executed. "Just a kiss?"

"Indeed. My programming contains extensive information pertaining to Human sexuality, but I have yet to experience--"

"You're only four months old. We're talking a kiss, right?"

"That is correct." His eyes brightened with an eager light. "Is it permissible? Or would that, too, engender corporal retaliation?"

"You mean, would I slap you?" Aaron glanced over her shoulder then returned to meet the anticipation of his expression. She tossed her golden hair with a flick of her wrist, and lightly moistened her lips. "Sure, you can kiss me. Why not."

His hands snapped up and awkwardly grabbed her arms. Then he tilted her forward and lightly pecked her lips in a stilted gesture of emulated affection...

"Data, unhand my assistant!"

The android stiffened at the command and instantly released the woman.

Doctor Radmilla stood glaring at them from the doorway. His eyes bore into Data, but he addressed Aaron when he rasped, "Leave."

"It was my fault, I'm sorry. I should have known--"

"This android could have harmed you," he snapped. "His programming contains extensive information in areas of Human procreation. There's no telling what he might have attempted if I hadn't walked in."

Data looked surprised. "It was not my intent to engage--"

"Leave." Radmilla fixed his attention on Aaron. "Now."

"Doctor, please don't blame Data."

"Leave this instant or I'll turn you over my knee."

Aaron gasped in offense, then turned regretful eyes in Data's direction. The android looked bewildered. "I'm sorry, Data."

She turned and slipped from the lab as Radmilla's shouts echoed behind her...//

~*~