Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,580
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
3,290

Opportunist 2: Discussion Begins

Summary:

The trio discusses the offspring situation.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Opportunist 2: Discussion Begins
by Scribe

Chase got home before House and Wilson. It was his turn to cook, but he was tired, and he wanted a hot shower. He decided that they could make do with something from the microwave, and he'd cook something really nice the next time around.

Chase took his time, letting the steaming water pound out the small aches he'd earned from spending most of the day on his feet. One thing he'd liked about moving in with House and Wilson--they had a MONSTER hot water heater. It never seemed to run out. Even if they were doing laundry and running the dishwasher you could take a shower and not have to worry if someone flushed the toilet. He grinned as he shut off the water. *You don't have to worry about freezing, but if one of them comes into the bathroom while you're in the shower you might find yourself with a visitor.*

He heard the front door open, and muffled voices. They were home early. He decided he'd better get dressed quickly. If one of them was in a playful mood and caught him naked he'd end up having to go right back into the shower. Chase might look a little more delicate than the other two, but they'd discovered that he could get just as sweaty and funky during hot sex.

He slipped into his favorite Tee--an old college shirt that he'd washed till it was as soft as chamois, and the logo had faded into a blur. Then he pulled on a pair of baggy, ragged shorts--no underwear. He usually didn't wear underwear at home, and that was why he favored casual clothes that didn't have too many zippers--too much of a chance of catching hair (or something more delicate) if you were in a hurry.

Running his fingers through his damp hair, he padded barefoot out into the living room. The room was empty, but he saw Wilson's keys on the coffee table, and he could hear them speaking in the kitchen. He could also smell something that made his mouth start to water. He followed the delicious aroma, and the voices that never failed to make him feel just a little more secure.

House was leaning against a counter that was littered with several white plastic bags. He had a small paper sack in one hand, and he was munching. Wilson was in the process of emptying an aluminum container of something unidentifiable into a serving dish. Both of the older men looked up as he came in. Wilson smiled, and House, as usual, frowned. "I can't do this if he's going to be sitting there looking about seventeen."

Wilson pushed aside the full dish and took another one out of the cabinet. As he opened another container he said, "I'd say he looks more like fourteen or fifteen."

"Seventeen. If he looked any younger I'd have to feel guilty about wanting to throw him on the floor and screw him."

Chase came deeper into the kitchen, peering over Wilson's shoulder. "What have we got?"

"Something for everyone," said Wilson, "Tangerine beef, cashew chicken, and Seven Star Purple crabs."

Chase blinked, and House said, "Crab meat and eggs--it's better than it sounds. We've also got the deluxe puu-puu tray, with extra eggrolls and ribs, vegetables, and fried and plain rice."

"Wow. You guys went all out." He gave them an innocent look. "You didn't have to do that. I was going to fix something special tonight."

House raised an eyebrow. "Really? Like what?"

"Um..."

"You know, Chinese food is usually good the next day. Wilson, pack that back into the containers."

"Oh, all right. I was going to get something out of the deep freeze."

"Don't lie to me, Chase--your not NEARLY as good at it as I am."

"I'll take an extra turn next week."

"You sure will, and don't think that you're going to be able to weasel out of doing the dishes, either." House pulled an almond cookie out of the bag and started to eat it. Chase reached for the bag, and House slapped his hand. "Get your own, snack hound."

"Give him one," said Wilson, not looking around as he emptied the last of the containers. "If you eat all those you won't have room for supper."

House wiggled his eyebrows. "You know better than that. I have large appetites." He handed Chase a cookie. "Eat it slow."

"I'm not going to choke on it," said Chase.

"I know that. I just like to watch you eat--you do it sexy." Chase grinned at him and started to nibble the cookie. "On second thought, eat it quickly. If I nail you now, the food will get cold."

Wilson started to carry the food into the dining room, and House said to Chase, "Get the plates and things." He started toward after Wilson.

Chase wasn't surprised that House wasn't offering to help set the table--it WAS a little difficult for him to balance loads and use his cane. He took out a small stack of plates, saying, "What should I get us to drink? We have wine and beer in the fridge."

"I'd suggest beer, since we have fish, fowl, and flesh." He paused at the door. "Get me a bottle of water."

Chase had been bending into the refrigerator. Now he stood up and stared after House. *Water--when we have beer?* Wilson came back in to get the rest of the food. "He wants water."

"Great." Wilson picked up the last two dishes. "I'd feel a lot better if he drank more water and less alcohol, since he isn't willing to give up the Vicodan."

"But it's sort of... Never mind."

They were soon settled at the table, and they all started the meal with good appetite. Chase enjoyed the food, even the crab. He'd never have thought of that combination, but it tasted pretty good. He found that he kept looking at the bottle of water sitting in front of House, though.

About half-way through the meal, Wilson cleared his throat. Chase looked at him questioningly, but House kept on eating, eyes on his plate. Wilson cleared his throat again. House said, "Crab shell? I hope so, because we can sue them for a mint."

"Greg."

House put down his fork. "You're using my first name." He looked at Chase. "That's as serious as a parent using all three names on a kid."

"Greg." This time Wilson's voice had dropped almost an octave.

"All right, all right!" House looked at Chase. "I understand that you want to procreate."

Chase gaped, dropping his fork, and Wilson said, "Greg!"

"What--too blunt? And if you're going to say only one word for the rest of your life, pick one that will be appropriate in more situations. How about 'yes'? Though either 'yes' or my name would work out just as well during sex..."

"GREG!"

"If I see someone that color who isn't sunburned, I usually take their blood pressure. You knew damn good and well I wouldn't be able to segue into this smoothly and tactfully." He looked back at Chase. His tone was less teasing as he said, "Wilson tells me that you would like to have children. Why discuss it with him, and not me?"

Chase looked down at his plate, but then lifted his eyes to House. "Because I knew you'd snark, and I'm serious about this."

"I'm hurt. I can do serious." Chase looked away again. "I WILL do serious. You're still a little young to be worrying about having children."

"I'm not worrying about it. I just want children. I always have. When I figured out I was gay..." he shrugged. "I assumed that was it, but these days it isn't all that unusual for gay men and gay couples to have kids."

"Yeah, but it still isn't as simple as it is for heterosexuals," said House. "A lot of states have struck down statutes that bar gays from adopting or fostering kids, but that doesn't mean it isn't still considered an obastacle. Maybe no one will admit it, but I'd bet good money that they'd end up on the bottom of most lists."

"I should have known you'd take that attitude."

"Now, wait a minute. I'm not trying to argue you out of the idea." He shrugged. "Hell, something as fundamental as the desire for offspring isn't really a subject for debate. It's just that someone in this relationship needs to be the devil's advocate. Getting a child by any means has it's own set of difficulties. Whether or not you go through with it depends on how willing you are to shoulder responsibilities, accept difficulties or inconvenience, and even take risks."

"You could say the same thing about having a child naturally," said Wilson.

"Or with snatching one from the neo-natal unit," House shot back. "We're talking degrees." He glanced between his two lovers. "How much would you be willing to go through for a child? I'm talking realistically, not wishful thinking."

"A lot," said Wilson quietly. Chase nodded.

"Good." House took another egg roll, broke it, and dripped soy sauce inside before taking a bite. "Because I think I want one, too, and it would be nice to have two others who were willing to take on all the crap work that goes with it. Save me some trouble."

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Scribe.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.