Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,255
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
2,364

The Differences Between Gods And Mortals

Summary:

A small example of my writing...
Submitted through the PlayGroundOfTheGods mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Differences Between Gods And Mortals
by Talaus8

GOD: I stand looking out over the world below, I smile knowing how the mortals below adore and worship me. I watch as they scurry below, eager to please me, win my favor. Depending on me for the secure feeling only my love can bring them. All is right with the world.

MORTAL: I look up into the sky and see emptiness. I hurry on my way, times are tough... I wonder where the gods are. Are we no more than keepers of some empty temples? Have the gods abandoned us? Were they really any gods to begin with? The world is dying around us.

GOD: I feel good, my temples gleam in the sun light. My offering table is full. My people give to me freely, so eager to share their good fortune with me.

MORTAL: Times are bad, there is not enough food. I fight just to stay alive. As a desperate man, I take the last of what is mine and lay it upon the altar of my god and pray. I pray he hears my plea and saves us all.

GOD: I am powerful.......I can do anything I wish. Time and space mean nothing to me. I am all that is or will be. I can move mountains with a thought, dry up the seas with a wave of my hand. Nothing is beyond me, all I desire is mine. I am a god.

MORTAL: I am man. I must fight and struggle to get through this life. I fight for every inch of ground I hold, I fight for the right to control my own life. Time races by me, and I am lost. I can choose to be a warrior, a priest, a farmer a merchant.....but in the end I am only a man.

GOD: I feel the power as it surges through my body, and it is glorious. I am loved by the mortals, my image cared for beyond all other things. And I care for them with love and tender loving care.

MORTAL: I feel helpless, forgotten by the gods. I dare not kneel, fearing his anger will fall down upon my head. I pray he hears me soon.

GOD: I sit on my seat of power, none defy me. I can create with left hand and destroy with my right. I am the reigning judge of all and they listen to me in awe. I am old, I am wise....and I gather them about me to teach them. My heart knows no bounds as my children flock to me, I am father, brother, mother and lover. I am life

MORTAL: I get on my knees and pray he hears me. Man has begun to destroy this world, and I pray for help. I pray the gods will hear me. I am old, I am tired....and I long to rest. My heart knows no peace, no joy no love and my children die before me. I am a father, a husband a brother, and we are dying.

GOD: I live in a bright light. Beauty surrounds me every where. I listen to the sweet music of harps and flutes. Voices of praise lift skyward to fill me. My children love me. Food abounds and I never hunger. The warmth wraps around me, and no chill can touch me. I am content.

MORTAL: My world is being swallowed up by the darkness. People fight for the food and simple firewood to ward off the night chill. My world is ugly. The sounds of the dying fill my ears as I shiver alone in the cold. We shout louder hoping the gods will hear us soon. I am afraid.

GOD: I am their god, and they will obey me or suffer my wrath. They are my children and I will guide them, teach them the right way. I will be stern, but loving. I will be the force that guides them from cradle to grave.

MORTAL: I cannot wait any-longer. My faith is misplaced. We mean nothing to the gods, and therefore they mean nothing to us. We turn our backs, we go our own way now. Separated from our gods but joined as mortals. We will face what comes with our heads up and our arms about each other. We are men and women, children. We are one.

GOD: My children have left me, why? Have I not given them life? I am angered now. I will punish them all! I will destroy those who refuse to give me my due as a god. They will know my anger as I sweep down destroying them and their sorry lives!

MORTAL: The sky is dark, the air smells of death. I look up and shake my fist at the gods. "Come kill us all! I do not care, I do not fear you anymore! I will no longer build your temples or fill your table with the sweat of my brow! I do not love you anymore!! You abandoned us long ago when we needed you!! We prayed and you turned a deaf ear to our pleas. Now you are alone! So do your worst, we do not care!! We fear you nor death!"

GOD: I sit alone on my throne of power. I sit in the dark and I am cold. The music and singing are gone. The air is filled with the curses of my children. What have I done? My world is empty, my heart is cold, I am nothing.

MORTAL: I pass a temple, my heart feels a twinge. I look inside and only darkness and cobwebs greet me. I sigh, and remember the days when the temple was alive with song and music and dance. When the people gathered to share the good and the bad times with the gods. I smile. Quietly I enter and light a torch, my hand caresses the altar with fond memories. I miss them.

GOD: I hear him, has he come back to me. I look and see him as he brushes the dust from my altar, as he sweeps the dirty floor and shines my mirrors. I watch hoping as he lights the fire in my offering pit. My heart beats faster as he opens the doors wide and lets the sun and fresh air in. I cry when he lays flowers at my feet and whispers my name. He has forgiven me.

MORTAL: I clean the temple, and lay flowers at his feet. I still love him, deep inside. I forgive him, after all he is only a god. And gods have their faults, just like the rest of us. I stand and brush the dirt from my knees, and bow my head as his name leaves my lips. I will come back, someday.

GOD: My children will return to me. A tear rolls down my cheek. It is only one mortal, but soon others will follow. I stand, my world a little less dark, the chill gone from my heart. Soon my world will be filled with song and dance again.

MORTAL: I leave the temple, doors wide open so it is can see the light of day once more. A tear rolls down my cheek, my heart is lighter. Who knows, maybe one day songs and dance will return and the silent temple will be once more filled with love and life.

GOD: I sit and wait.....someday.

MORTAL: Maybe.....someday.

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Talaus.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.