Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
414
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
949

Goosebumps

Summary:

Fandom: DC
Pairings: Superman/Batman
Rating: PG
Summary: Superman’s POV of the end page of the Superman/Batman comic in the Mythology book.
Started on May 11th 2006 at 2:50 pm
Finished on May 11th 2006 at 3:54 pm
Submitted through the Batman_And_Superman mailing list.

Work Text:

This is unbetaed, I just wanted to write something sweet to cheer me up. I was looking for backgrounds for my desktop and when I saw this, I felt that Superman's face in the third panel is just too expresive. I love these boys.

Goosebumps
by Schatten

His head throbs. In an immense sea of darkness, his head pulsates along with his heartbeat, painfully rhythmical. He opens his eyes and closes them back immediately. A blinding pain starts between his eyes and branches all the way back to the base of his skull. The throbbing begins to feel like a reverberation, a dull background for the icy and poignant spike piercing between his eyes.

He tries again, because even though he's not sure of what is going on, he knows something is wrong. He's invulnerable, yet he's in pain. The matter surely requires his immediate attention.

So he opens his eyes again, and tries to adjust to the light. The pain fades a little, but doesn't disappear. He looks up, and finds himself being analyzed up close. Dark, carefully unexpressive eyes boring into his mind, body and soul. A brilliant mind behind them, a seemingly unbreakable will and a huge, if overly warded, heart.

"You okay?"

Superman's throat is dry. He feels relieved, even if there are goose bumps down his arms. Waking up and finding Batman by your side is both a very good thing and a very weird thing.

"Fine. A little help up, please," he says, feeling his head clear, the events of the day coming back to him. He trusted the means to end his life on the hands of the only man he knew would use them if needed. The man is also one of the most brilliant men in the planet, a very resourceful one. He shouldn't be surprised that he found another way to stop him, but he is.

Taking the hands that are being offered, Superman stands up. The hands that hold him are strong, but they are human and breakable. Even so, they hold him fast, keeping him balanced when everything else is spinning and his step is unsure.

The deep voice, this voice he knows so well, starts filling in the blanks of his memory, but the retelling of today's odyssey registers only faintly. Suddenly, all Superman can think of is how he doesn't know what he would do without him.