Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
18,225
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,086

Ouch!

Summary:

Daniel screams out in the throes of passion, but it's not because of making love with his soulmate!

Work Text:

Ouch!
Author: Orrymain
Author Email: marciastudley1@comcast.net (Feedback welcome)
Author Website: http://orrymain.com
Category: Slash, Angst, Drama, H/C, Romance, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Established Relationship
Pairing: Jack/Daniel ... and it's all J/D
Rating: PG-13
Season: 3 - after Crystal Skull
Spoilers: Nemesis, Small Victories, Crystal Skull (minor)
Size: 127kb
Written: April 20-21,29-30, May 1-3,5-6, 2006
Summary: Daniel screams out in the throes of passion, but it's not because of making love with his soulmate!
Disclaimer: Usual disclaimers -- not mine, wish they were, especially Daniel, and Jack, too, but they aren't. A gal can dream though!
Notes:
1) Sometimes, Jack and Daniel speak almost telepathically. Their "silent" words to each other are indicated by asterisks instead of quotes, such as **Jack, we can't.**
2) Silent, unspoken thoughts by various characters are indicated with ~ in front and behind them, such as ~Where am I?~
3) This fic stands alone, but it does reference my other fics, "They Don't Understand," "Calming Influences," "After the Calm," and "The Pact"
4) Thanks to my medical betas: Ali, Becky, Kat, Melanie, Teresa
5) Thanks to my betas who always make my fics better: Claudia, Jodi, Kat, Heather, Ali, QuinGem, Linda!

Ouch!
by Orrymain

"Walter, wanna go fishing?" Jack asked Sergeant Davis as they passed in the SGC corridor.

"Ah, no, thank you, Sir. I ... have filing to do," Davis answered and then quickly went on his way. ~That was close.~

~His loss,~ Jack thought as he continued walking. Rounding a corner, he saw Sergeant Siler chatting with a Marine. "Siler," Jack said, approaching from behind and placing his hand on the man's back. "How'd you like to spend a nice weekend fishing?"

"Fishing? With you, Colonel?" Siler asked hesitantly.

"We'll have a great time," Jack said smugly, his hands now resting in his pockets.

"I think I have something important to do, Sir," Siler said.

"Ah, well, next time," Jack chirped, nodding and then heading for the elevator. ~This is working like a charm.~

====

"So, Daniel, you're going to New York?" Robert Rothman inquired as the two studied the finds SG-11 had brought back from their last mission.

"Yes, well, I mean, yes," Daniel answered nervously. He sighed, "I'm going to the New York Museum of Art."

"I was there once," Rothman replied.

Daniel nodded, then changed the subject, saying, "I think this might be tied into Neoplatonism."

"Plotinus?" Rothman asked.

"Yes. Look at all the references to beauty. Where are the photos of the ruins?"

"Here," Rothman said as the two continued reviewing their materials.

====

"Danny, are you packed?" Jack asked as he entered his lover's apartment.

"More or less," the archaeologist responded as he walked out of the bedroom with a duffel bag in his hand.

"Less is more," Jack quipped.

Daniel chuckled, expounding, "I want to take my favorite shirt, but it's at your house."

"*Our* house," the older man corrected.

The younger man smiled hesitantly and then headed for the balcony door, locking it.

"Everyone's bought our stories," Daniel commented.

"I don't understand it," Jack replied. "People should be jumping at the chance to come fishing with me."

"Aren't you glad they're not?" Daniel asked. Then he speculated with amusement, "Maybe we're just good liars."

"Of course, but I just don't get it. Fishing is a man's passion," Jack stated.

"I thought that was sex," Daniel retorted, surprising his lover by actually saying the word 'sex', something he did infrequently.

Jack's eyes widened, then he replied, "I stand corrected. Let's go." As he waited for Daniel to lock the door, he whined, "Fishing is an art, Daniel. Why doesn't anyone want to go fishing with me? I don't have bad breath. Do I?" he asked a bit insecurely.

Daniel chuckled, responding, "Babe, not everyone thinks fishing is an art, and, no, you don't have bad breath. Trust me, I know."

Jack smiled at his lover as they headed for the elevator, though inwardly, he was still bemoaning all the 'no's' he'd received to his invitations, not that he had really wanted anyone to say 'yes', either.

Daniel just shook his head, knowing his lover was in denial. That was okay with Daniel. For the purposes of their private getaway, it was important that everyone believe Jack had gone to Minnesota and Daniel to New York. The truth, though, would be that the lovers were going to be together at the picturesque cabin in Minnesota, celebrating the second anniversary of their romance. Neither could wait to reach the cabin and revel in each other.

====

"Danny, why don't we just start for the cabin in the morning," Jack suggested after the lovers had arrived at his house and noticed the lateness of the day.

"I'm sorry, Jack," Daniel apologized, self-hugging as he evaded his lover's gaze.

Smiling, the older man approached his lover, undoing the self-hug and taking him into his arms, and said, "Rothman doesn't have your insights, Angel. I know you had to make sure he was on the right track."

"I swear I meant to leave the SGC on time, but ..."

"But Rothman needed guidance," Jack completed for his lover.

"He's good, Jack," Daniel said in defense of his colleague, while his hands rubbed gently against Jack's lower back.

"Not as good as you," Jack maintained, after which he brushed his lips against his lover's. "Why don't we go upstairs and ..."

Daniel grinned and replied, "Celebrate?"

"Yeah," Jack said, kissing his lover again before the two walked up the stairs to the master bedroom to join their bodies together as one.

====

Thirty minutes later, the two men were deep in the throes of their passion, beads of sweat rolling off their bodies. Jack was on top this night, his length making one powerful thrust after another against the younger man's prostate. Daniel was calling out Jack's name, urging him on, wanting, needing, and demanding more.

~Want him, but ... something's ... gawd, hurts. Why?~ Daniel managed to wonder even as he encouraged his soulmate to continue.

Finally, in one huge motion, Jack slammed his length forcefully inside Daniel, and in response, Daniel shouted out Jack's name. Jack was ready to collapse onto his lover, and let their convulsing bodies settle when he heard the younger man shout again.

"Danny?" Jack asked, his heartbeat even more rapid than while they'd been making love, realizing his lover was unconscious.

Unfortunately, Jack didn't think it was because of the intensity of their lovemaking. That last shout of Daniel's hadn't sounded good and was nowhere close to their usual shouts of passion.

Sitting up, Jack shouted, "DANIEL!" His hands cupped the younger man's face as he called out again, "DANIEL, ANSWER ME!" Still, there was no response. Jack put his ear to his lover's heart, relieved to hear a steady beat. Still atop his Love, Jack shook Daniel gently, saying, "Danny, please wake up!"

"Gawd, Jack!" Daniel screeched in alarm, his eyes suddenly wide as he came to.

"Daniel, what's wrong?" Jack asked, pulling back, giving his lover a bit of room to breathe. He was still concerned since his soulmate just seemed to be staring blankly at him. "Danny, I thought I killed you!"

"Jack, don't be an ... OUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!" Daniel shouted. "Hur...hurts!" he gasped, his expression one of both pain and horror as he shoved Jack off of him.

Daniel rolled onto his side, instinctively curling up into the fetal position in an effort to provide some comfort or relief from the painful agony he was feeling.

"I'm calling Fraiser," Jack stated, moving to the phone and dialing. "Doc, it's Jack O'Neill. Daniel is in horrible pain. Get over here -- NOW!" He hung up the phone, noticing his lover's look of distress. "What?"

"You didn't tell her where we were! Jack, it hurts -- bad. My abdomen -- tell her," Daniel requested.

At that moment, the phone rang, and Jack was relieved when it was Janet, verifying their location. Jack asked Daniel a few questions on Janet's behalf, and then sat with his lover, trying to soothe him as they waited. He'd never seen the younger man so physically vulnerable before, except for the time when Daniel almost died on Apophis' mother ship. That event had been the catalyst for the lovers finally getting together as a couple.

"Hang in there, Space Monkey," Jack said, his hands caressing the side of his lover's head.

====

~It's about time!~ Jack twisted his body around, hearing the ambulance. "That's Janet," he said.

"Jack! I'm not dressed. Gawd, nei...neither are you!" Daniel called out.

Jack looked down at his naked body, whining, "Oh, for crying out loud."

As quickly as he could, he put on a pair of sweats. Daniel tried to move, but his body felt like a dead weight.

"Sorry, Love," Jack said as he quickly slid a pair of sweats onto the younger man's body.

"Box...ers," Daniel gasped.

"Commando," Jack responded, hurrying downstairs to answer the door.

"JACK, I'M IN YOUR BED!" the archaeologist cried out. He tried to move, hoping to get to the spare bedroom, but the pain was too great. "Crap!" he exclaimed, as he accepted their fate, certain he was about to be responsible for his lover being court-martialed.

====

"Daniel, how long have you been feeling ill?" Janet inquired as she took the young man's vital signs.

"I ... I haven't, not ... not really," Daniel replied, swallowing hard as he answered.

Janet glared at Daniel in disbelief, replying, "You haven't felt sick at all?"

"Just ... just a little uncomfortable, but I just thought it was my allergies or something I ate ... or maybe the flu," Daniel responded. "I ... well, maybe I've felt like throwing up once or twice, but I didn't," he hesitantly admitted.

"The pain is here?" the physician inquired, noticing Daniel was holding his hand to his lower right abdominal area.

"Yes," Daniel confirmed, nodding and feeling a stab of pain as he moved his hand, the small comfort it had provided him with disappearing with the movement.

"You have a slight fever," Janet noted as she placed her hands on Daniel's skin. "Have you had any problems urinating?"

"No," Daniel answered quickly.

"No pain or problems with ..."

"No!" Daniel insisted more forcibly, avoiding Jack's stare as the older man stood at the foot of the bed, his arms folded across his chest.

"Okay, how about ..."

"No, Janet, I swear. Everything ... there ... has been just ... fine, peachy even," Daniel said, rolling his eyes when he realized he had used a word more associated with his lover than with him.

"Peachy, eh? Well, that's good then," Janet replied as she continued her examination. Moments later, she released a small but audible sigh as she made a few notes on a pad and revealed, "Gentlemen, I think it's appendicitis, and, if so, we need to get you to the infirmary STAT."

"Appendicitis?" both Jack and Daniel questioned at the same time.

"Could be one or two other possibilities -- kidney stone, hernia -- but my hunch is your appendix is about ready to burst. I need to make some calls," the doctor announced, picking up the phone on the nightstand to dial the first number.

**Danny? Have you been holding out on me?** Jack asked sharply, believing that if it was appendicitis, then his lover must have been in severe pain for a long time.

"No," Daniel answered verbally, causing Janet to look down at him and smile reassuringly.

Disconnecting from her first call, Janet instructed, "Colonel, get a towel and warm it with hot water. It will help Daniel with the discomfort he's feeling while we travel to the hospital."

"Okay, Doc," Jack acknowledged, heading for the bathroom.

"Not too hot," Janet called out as she dialed the next number.

====

By the time the ambulance reached Cheyenne Mountain, the surgical team was ready to go, pending verification of the problem. Janet had called in some of her best staff members, including Casey Hemmings and Marie Hill, both of whom had once had crushes on Daniel. Truth be told, they still did, but each knew better than to try and get anywhere with the younger man, who had gently rebuffed them, his polite refusals backed up by intense glares from SG-1's CO.

Knowing their duties, the two primary nurses stripped Daniel of the little clothing he was wearing and dressed him in a white hospital gown. Then they replaced the warm towel, which had cooled during the ride to the Mountain.

While Janet conferred with the other members of her team, Marie did her own assessment of Daniel's condition. She had Daniel lay still while she listened to his abdomen. She coaxed Daniel into providing an urine sample, then inserted a catheter before drawing blood for the basic lab work. As she took the samples for processing, Casey set up the IV and prepared Daniel for the cat scan.

At that point, Daniel was given some anti-nausea medication as well as a pain killer and hooked up to an ultrasound for monitoring. He was allowed to lie on his side because it was more comfortable for him. The lights were also dimmed in his part of the infirmary while everyone waited for the blood work and test results to come back from the lab.

"It'll be okay, Daniel," Jack whispered, trying to soothe his lover, having been told it would probably take ninety minutes or so for all the tests results to be processed.

"I know," Daniel replied, wanting to smile but not being able to. "I think she's overreacting."

"Of course, she is," Jack mock agreed.

"I haven't been in pain, Jack," Daniel reminded. "I mean, uh, not until ... until we ... you know ... we ... gawd."

"Great. I almost killed you," Jack lamented, shaking his head.

"You did not. You ... ow," Daniel said, having moved to try and comfort his partner and now wishing he had stayed as still as a statue.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked.

"No, I am *not* okay. Gawd!" Daniel groaned at the ridiculous question.

"I'm going to see what's taking so long," Jack said, deciding to give his lover some time alone. ~He's not happy with me right now.~

"You do that, Jack," Daniel replied. ~Give me a few minutes of peace.~

====

The diagnosis confirmed, consent papers signed, and the surgical team in place, the lovers stared at each other as Daniel was wheeled away.

**Danny, I love you,** Jack spoke via their silent communication.

**I love you, too, Jack, so much,** Daniel replied, his eyelids closing from the anesthetic he'd already been given. "So much," he mumbled.

"Daniel, did you say something?" Janet asked. She smiled at her friend when he only mumbled incoherently in response. "You'll be just fine, Daniel."

====

Jack sat in the observation area of OR 1, watching Janet remove Daniel's appendix. Soon, he became aware of another presence.

"Carter."

"How's he doing?" Sam asked as she sat down next to her CO.

"I'm a colonel, not a doctor," Jack snipped. After several seconds, he shrugged, glancing over at his 2IC and saying, "Sorry, I'm ..."

"We're all worried, Sir, but Janet's the best," Sam said reassuringly.

"Yeah," Jack agreed, looking down at the surgery that was still in progress. "New uniform?" Jack teased about the blonde's leather jacket and tight-fitting black outfit.

"No, Sir. I was working on my bike," Sam responded, referring to her motorcycle. "I took it for a ride into the country to test it out when I heard about Daniel."

Jack looked at the female oddly and asked, "How'd you hear?"

"General Hammond called me, Colonel. He figured I'd want to know," Sam answered.

Jack nodded, then leaned forward, resting his elbows on the chair in front of him and placing his head in his hands.

"I thought you were fishing," Sam commented.

"Carter, not here, not now," Jack complained, not wanting to engage in the game of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' and its associated 'O'Neill and Carter are Doing It' byplay. "Please."

"Sorry, Sir. Daniel will be just fine," Sam repeated, the only response being another nod from Jack as he focused on his partner.

**I need you, Danny.**

Not long thereafter, Janet looked up and gave a thumbs up sign to the watchers. She seemed to be smiling, though neither could tell for sure since she was still wearing her surgical mask.

~Thanks, Doc,~ Jack silently spoke, repeating the words verbally later on when he received her account of the surgery first hand.

====

Daniel awoke in the wee hours of Saturday morning, mumbling "J'ck?" as he normally did when waking or coming to from any illness or injury. Almost as soon as he had spoken the name, though, he went back to sleep.

~That always warms my heart, Angel, that you call for me even before you're conscious,~ Jack silently thought, holding back his emotions since people were milling around the infirmary at the moment.

"He'll be asleep for a while, Colonel. Why don't you go home and ..." Janet paused, seeing Jack's look of 'you've got to be kidding'. She knew better after the past three years. Smiling, she asked, "Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine," Jack answered from his favorite chair as he sat by Daniel's bedside. "You going home?"

Janet shook her head, answering, "No, I'm just going to lay down in one of the VIP rooms for a little while. If you need me ..."

"Doc?" Jack called out. When Janet turned around, he gave her a nod and said, "Thanks."

Janet gave the colonel a tiny smile and nod of acknowledgement, then said, "I'll see you in a few hours."

====

Most of the rest of the day saw Jack seated by Daniel's hospital bed, the one in the corner of the infirmary. Daniel drifted in and out of consciousness and was kept highly medicated. Even so, every time his eyelids fluttered open, his heart skipped a beat, seeing the love of his life smiling down at him. He didn't have to be awake to know that his lover was holding his hand as much as possible, too. It was a knowledge and certainty that gave him strength.

As for Jack, he had no intention of leaving his lover's side. He practically had a heart attack during their lovemaking when Daniel had passed out. The appendix attack had frightened him, big time, and he needed plenty of reassurance himself that his soulmate would recover. The man before him was much more than a body lying on the bed, he was his life.

--

By Saturday evening, Daniel was a bit more coherent, so Janet inquired how his attack had come on.

"I was in the shower, Janet, when the pain overtook me. I stumbled out, and managed to get dressed and yelled for Jack," Daniel claimed, still somewhat groggy from his ordeal. ~Yeah, that's it. I was struck by pain in the shower, and that's why I looked so ... why my body ... oh, gawd.~

Practically stepping on his lover's answer, Jack stated, "Daniel was outside doing some yard work for me. You know, he does that sometimes, Doc. I saw him fall to the ground, so I brought him inside." Jack looked at Daniel in a panic when he realized their two stories didn't match. ~Crap!~

The two men realized that in the chaos of the moment, they hadn't come up with a story to tell their friend. Normally, they always had a tale to explain what they were doing, where they were doing it, and why they were doing it. This time, though, they'd been so caught offguard that their stories didn't match.

Ignoring his pain, Daniel attempted to reconcile the two versions of events, claiming, "I was taking the shower after doing the yard work."

Jack looked at Daniel like he was crazy, then said, "Ah, yeah, I saw him fall, and that's when he yelled for me."

The colonel grimaced, realizing just how bad their story was.

"It was a little late for working in the yard, wasn't it?" Janet asked the two.

"You know us, Doc. We keep funny hours," Jack claimed. ~Lame, O'Neill, very lame.~

"I thought you were going to the cabin," Janet asked Jack pointedly.

"I am, or I was, tomorrow; ah, that would be today now since it's Saturday. Heck, you know what I mean. I was going to the cabin after I took Daniel to the airport," Jack spoke, his words strung out slightly as he searched for what to say.

"Yeah, that's right," Daniel lied, making a face as he felt a twitch of pain.

"You two have been up to something, and I will find out what eventually," Janet threatened, turning and walking away.

Jack shuddered at the physician's stern threat, but then shrugged his shoulders. He looked around the infirmary, realizing the place was currently devoid of human life other than he and his soulmate. Surprising the younger man, he leaned over and placed a hard and possessive kiss on his lover, following it with a softer and more loving kiss.

Almost whispering, Jack spoke, "You scared me, Danny. Don't do that again."

"Sorry, Jack, I'll try not to," Daniel responded as Jack backed away slightly in case someone walked in.

"So much for our trip to the cabin," Jack sighed, unable to hide his disappointment and sadness.

"You should go, Jack, especially since I have to stay in the infirmary anyway," Daniel urged.

Adamantly, Jack shook his head, saying, "I don't think so."

Smiling half-heartedly, Daniel replied, "I want you to go, Love." Inwardly, he thought, ~Not really. Please don't listen to me.~

"Trying to get rid of me, Space Monkey?" Jack asked. ~Not going anywhere, Love.~

"Never, but it'll be good for you, and since we've been so bold lately, it might help alleviate some of the gossip. Everyone knows you've been planning this trip. Jack, it'll make Kinsey and his pack suspicious if you suddenly cancel just because I'm laid up like this," the archaeologist reasoned.

"Danny, you're more important ..." Jack began.

Interrupting his lover, Daniel intoned, "I know that. I do. But go, Jack. Just for a few days, and then you can come back and bore me for weeks with fish stories."

"Daniel?" Jack asked, a bit of an edge to his tone.

"Jack?"

"Bore you? When do I ever bore you?" the military man questioned, feeling a bit insulted by the accusation. "Am I boring you now? Geez, you really do want me to go," he spoke, rejection welling up in his soul.

Daniel sighed, did a quick check to verify no one else was nearby, and then reached out, pulling Jack to him. He massaged his lover's back as he kissed Jack, their tongues mingling together as Daniel attempted to reassure the older man as best he could, considering all the pain he was in and that he could barely move.

"Does that answer your question?" Daniel asked.

"No," Jack feigned in response, still sulking for a moment before revealing his Irish grin. "I don't know, Danny. I don't want to leave you. It feels wrong."

Daniel suggested, "Why don't you think about it tonight? Maybe you can even ask Sam to go."

"Daniel!" Jack exclaimed. ~No way!~

"Jack, the game, remember," the archaeologist spoke softly, glancing around the infirmary.

A bit sarcastically, the colonel responded, "The game. Yes, I remember, but I'd rather stay here with you and kiss your scar."

"Ouch! Don't even think about it, Jack. Now, it's late. Go home, get some rest, and think about going to the cabin, at least for a few days," Daniel encouraged.

Jack groaned, "You have a one-track mind, Jackson. Okay, you win, but I won't like it."

"I'll miss you," Daniel admitted quietly.

"Not as much as I'll miss you," Jack responded, daring to steal a quick kiss. "I'll come by in the morning, and we'll put on a show."

"Catch a fish for me," Daniel said with a loving smile.

"There are no fish in my pond," Jack reminded.

"But, there are a thousand of them in your heart," Daniel uttered as his hand reached out to clasp onto Jack's for a moment.

"They have to make way for one goofy geek," Jack replied quietly.

"Get out of here," Daniel ordered, slipping his hand out of Jack's, too afraid they'd be caught at any moment.

**I love you, Angel.**

**I love you, too, Jack,** Daniel replied as the two exchanged a smile before Jack headed for home.

====

"You're doing just fine, Daniel," Janet announced bright and early the next morning after doing her first check on the archaeologist for the day.

"Then I can go home now?" the archaeologist asked hopefully, ignoring what Janet had already told him.

Janet confidently chuckled, "Daniel, you can't even move, but if you can prove me wrong, sure, go home."

Daniel could swear the petite physician was still chuckling as she headed towards her office. He had already tried to move and knew that he might as well resign himself to staying in the infirmary as prescribed.

Two minutes later, Daniel's heart fluttered as he saw his lover enter the room as planned.

~Sexy, so sexy, and alllll mine,~ Daniel thought as he watched every movement the older man, clad in a black leather jacket, white tee shirt, and khaki pants, made. "Hey." **I want you.** He stared up at the ceiling. ~Nonchalant. I don't even know he's here,~ he told himself as he prepared for the game they were about to play.

**Right backatcha, Love,** Jack replied silently. **Nurse is nearby,** he added as he approached the bed. "Hey."

"Hey," Daniel replied casually, tilting his head slightly to get a better look at his Love.

"How ya doin'?" he asked as he approached Daniel's bed.

"Good," Daniel replied, studying his soulmate and realizing something was a little different. Raising his eyebrows, he asked, "Did ya get your hair cut?"

"Yeah. Why?" Jack inquired. **Don't you like it?**

"No reason," the younger man answered, though clearly hurt by it somehow. **Except you didn't tell me,** he whined, suddenly wondering if the medicines were causing him to be overly emotional. ~Since when do I care about Jack cutting his hair? I know -- since *now*!~

**Spontaneous decision after eating my Froot Loops,** the colonel replied, ignoring his lover's tiny grimace. ~If I didn't know better ... nah, Danny doesn't get jealous or anything.~ Then he smirked, "Can I see your scar?"

"No," Daniel responded. **You cut your hair without me; you can wait to see my scar.**

**Danny, it was just a haircut. I was ... lonely, so I called in a favor with the barber,** Jack answered, checking on the nurse's location. "Uh, Fraiser says it'll be about a week before you get out of here," Jack remarked.

"You know, it's funny. After everything we've been through these past ... few years, and of all things, it's my appendix ... that lays me out."

**I'll be miserable without you,** Jack told his Love.

Quickly, staying in the game, Daniel responded, "But it's not gonna be a week. I mean, I ... I practically ... I feel fine now," Daniel claimed. **And, I'm already miserable.**

"Wanna go fishin'?"

Daniel thought about it for a moment, then answered, "Actually, I wouldn't uh ..." He tried to move, but the pain got the better of him. "Well, maybe ..." He cleared his throat from the pain and stiffness of his body, which wasn't cooperating with his heart. "No, you know, I ... I think maybe I'll just ... I will stay here for two or three ... three days." He looked at his lover, communicating, **But, I wish I could go with you. Get out of here, Jack.**

"Bye," Jack spoke, reluctantly leaving the infirmary, but silently saying, **I'll miss you, Angel.**

**No more haircuts without me,** Daniel communicated. ~Oh, crap, what kind of pills did Janet give me anyway?~

Daniel looked up, incredulous at his emotional state. He hated the quick good-bye, and yet he knew that Jack couldn't stand it, either. They had just played a crazy game, one they both hated, all for the benefit of the nearby nurse and anyone else listening in. He'd also just acted like an overemotional partner, whining about a haircut. Intellectually, he knew it was the medicine and his despair playing out in an odd way, but emotionally, he knew he'd just acted like the proverbial silly goose.

As Jack disappeared from view, the archaeologist silently thought, ~Gawd, what a silly conversation. I ... miss him. It's not fair. It's just ... not fair.~

====

"Casey, how about a steak?" Daniel asked late that afternoon, his question more a desire to have something of Jack with him, and since Jack loved steaks, that seemed like a good symbolic connection to the archaeologist.

"Sorry, Daniel, it's broth and rice for you for a while," the nurse spoke.

"Great," Daniel sighed. While he longed for the Jack connection, it was also true that he was already tired of the liquid diet he'd been on since awaking from his surgery. "I need to ..." he said, pointing towards the restroom.

"Daniel, use the ..."

"No, I want to get up. I feel like I'm glued to this bed," Daniel responded a bit gruffly. "Sorry, but I'm feeling tied down."

"Here, let me help you," Casey responded, helping Daniel up.

"Ouch!" Daniel groaned, the pain still bothering him. Walking slowly towards his destination, he noticed the personnel seemed very focused on their tasks, some even moving with a sense of urgency. It was a bit too focused and too urgent for the status quo. "Is something going on?"

"Just the usual, Daniel," Casey answered. ~No point telling him; nothing he can do, anyway.~

====

"Janet, what's going on?" Daniel asked from his bed as the redhead dropped by to check on him a couple of hours later.

"Daniel, just relax," Janet requested.

"Janet, I know something's happening. Tell me!" the archaeologist insisted.

Clutching a chart close to her chest, the physician nodded, informing her patient that Thor had beamed Jack up to his ship, and shortly after that, Sam and Teal'c had also been transported to the Biliskner, along with weapons and supplies. It was the only information she had, but it was all Daniel needed to know to realize he was currently in the wrong place.

"Daniel ..." Janet sighed, full of frustration as she watched her patient struggle to sit up.

"Help me, Janet, or not, but I can't stay in here when Jack ... when SG-1 is in danger," Daniel replied.

"I can see that you do," Janet threatened.

"Don't," Daniel warned in response, adding a definitive, "You owe me, Janet."

Janet's heart ached, knowing Daniel was referring to her error in judgement earlier in the year when she had had him committed to the care of Doctor MacKenzie.

"It won't be easy, Daniel," Janet spoke softly as she signaled to Casey to get Daniel's BDUs.

"Nothing ever is," Daniel responded. "I need to get to the control room."

"I know, Daniel," Janet agreed softly, opting not to fight the young man. "However, I want you to let me give you something for the pain."

"Janet, I don't want to be knocked out," Daniel responded, waving her off.

"My word of honor, Daniel, but this will at least help. You'll need it," the doctor stated. "Please, trust me."

The two stared at each other for what seemed like minutes. Their relationship had gotten a bit off track after the incident with MacKenzie. Janet had made a mistake, and they both knew it. They both also knew that Daniel had worked hard on forgiving her. This was, in essence, a moment of truth.

"Okay, Janet, I trust you," Daniel responded. ~But, if you lie to me now, I'll never be able to trust you again.~

Janet knew she'd been given a gift, and she also knew she couldn't afford to toss that gift aside. She would medicate the archaeologist, just enough so he could function. She would not make the mistake of drugging him or taking him away from potentially being able to help his best friend and teammates.

"Thank you, Daniel," Janet replied as she prepared an injection. ~I'll have to watch him, but I can't keep him away from his ... family. SG-1 is his family,~ she said to herself, giving Daniel a smile as she gave him the strongest pain killer she could without knocking him out.

====

En route to General Hammond's office, Daniel saw Sergeant Davis, stopping him and asking, "What's going on?"

"I'm not sure I should ..."

"I want to know, Walter," Daniel stated firmly.

"I think you should ask General Hammond, Doctor Jackson," Davis responded.

"Davis, report," Daniel ordered, sounding as much like his hard-as-nails lover as he could.

~I thought he was supposed to be the nice one,~ Davis thought, seeing nothing but sternness in the archaeologist's eyes. ~He is a superior,~ he rationalized. "Sir, Thor beamed Colonel O'Neill aboard the Biliskner. The colonel subsequently reported that Thor was dying."

"Dying?" Daniel asked incredulously, looking around the hallway hesitantly. "How? Why?"

"The Asgard have been battling these mechanical ... bugs called Replicators," Sergeant Davis answered.

"That must be the enemy Thor mentioned to Jack and I earlier this year," Daniel deduced quietly. "Go on," he requested. "Please."

"The Replicators have overtaken most of the Biliskner. Thor transported the other Asgard off his ship, but stayed to try and divert the Replicators from reaching Earth. I'm not sure how, Sir, but somehow, the process has injured Thor severely," Davis revealed.

"So, why did he beam SG-1 aboard?" Daniel inquired.

"He left Colonel O'Neill instructions on how to run the Biliskner, hoping the colonel would be able to stop the Replicators," the sergeant replied.

"Jack?" Daniel asked skeptically, raising his eyebrows up and down a couple of times as he made a funny face.

"I believe that's why Major Carter and Teal'c were allowed to beam up, Sir," Davis answered.

"How will they get back?" a concerned Daniel asked.

"NASA is launching a shuttle," Sergeant Davis explained. "They also took space suits."

"Great," Daniel responded sarcastically. "So they what -- fly around in space, waiting for the shuttle?" He sighed, realizing he was letting his physical pain work with his emotional worry to sound antagonistic to the sergeant. "I'm sorry, Walter. What else do I need to know?"

"That's all we know, Sir. We haven't heard from SG-1 in hours," Davis reported.

"Thank you," Daniel said with a sigh, leaning against a wall for a moment as the sergeant walked away.

====

Minutes later, Daniel walked gingerly up the stairs and towards General Hammond's office.

~Well, I'll be dadgummed,~ Hammond thought, immediately getting up from his desk and walking into the corridor to meet the archaeologist. ~That boy has guts, but he belongs in the infirmary.~ With a sigh, he asked, "What are you doing down here, Doctor Jackson?"

~Where else would I be? Gawd, this hurts,~ Daniel thought, grateful not to have to move. Trying not to grimace as he fought the dizziness he felt and the urge to collapse to the cold floor, he answered, "I've just been informed, Sir. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help."

Hammond began to answer, but at that moment, Major Paul Davis, the liaison between the SGC and the Pentagon, walked into the corridor, calling out, "General." When Hammond twisted his body around to face him, the major continued, "We're going to DEFCON 3." As he walked to where Hammond stood, he expounded, "The Russians have gone on alert as a response. The moment the Asgard ship attempts to land, the President has decided to let the rest of the world know what we know."

"And then?" Hammond asked.

Looking only at the major general, Davis responded, "We hit it with everything we've got."

"Uh, SG-1 is on that ship," Daniel pointed out.

"I have as much confidence in SG-1 as you, Doctor Jackson, but they
left over an hour ago. We've had no communication since, and we have *no* idea what kind of a time frame we are dealing with here," Davis stated brusquely.

Staring at Daniel as if to reassure him, Hammond advised Davis, "Let's give them a reasonable chance, Major."

"Yes, Sir," the major acknowledged. "I'll try to define *reasonable* to the Pentagon."

Davis nodded at Daniel and then walked away. As he walked into the general's office, the DEFCON alert sounded, signaling the change. Daniel felt incredibly helpless, and Hammond just wished his friend was back in the care of Doctor Fraiser.

After a moment, Hammond stated, "Son, there's not much you can do here. Why don't you go back to the infirmary, and I'll make sure you are kept informed?"

"No, Sir," Daniel responded without hesitation, unable to stop a wince from his pain. "I have to be here."

"What does Doctor Fraiser say?"

"I'm here," Daniel answered, then turned and walked slowly towards the control room.

Hammond watched, then walked into his office and dialed the infirmary.

"General, trying to keep Daniel in the infirmary at this time would do more harm than good," Janet answered when asked to explain the presence of the archaeologist in the control room. She added, "I'll be monitoring his condition every couple of hours ... personally."

"Very well, Doctor, but I don't want you to take any chances," Hammond ordered.

"With all due respect, General Hammond, Daniel sitting up was taking a chance, but this is SG-1, and he'll heal better where he is," the doctor asserted.

"Very well, Doctor Fraiser. Keep me apprised of any significant change in his condition," the major general requested before hanging up the phone.

====

Later in the day, Hammond re-entered the control room, not surprised to see Daniel staring out vacantly through the large window towards the Stargate. The archaeologist looked so lost and alone, and the major general wished there was something he could do to help the young man feel better. He was well aware, though, that nothing short of SG-1's return would accomplish that feat.

Quietly, Hammond inquired of Sergeant Walter Davis, "Still no communication of any kind?"

Sergeant Davis responded, "No, Sir, and NORAD's still reporting no sign of the alien ship."

Hammond made a beeline to join his Head of Archaeology and asked, "Doctor Jackson, are you okay?"

"I'll be fine," Daniel answered, glancing evasively at the bald man. ~When they come home; when ... Jack is holding me again.~

~I know the answer, but I have to make the suggestion,~ Hammond thought as he looked downward. "Why don't you go back up to the infirmary? I promise, I will notify you as soon as there is any news."

With his arms crossed in front of him, Daniel replied, "Sir, I...I know there is no reason for me to be here, but I just ... I feel like I *should* be here." He paused, then with a nervous smile confessed with rapid speech, "That's not totally true. I feel like ... actually, I feel like I should be up there with them."

Hammond sympathetically responded, "Now you know how I feel most of the time."

The two looked out over the Stargate for a moment before Daniel said, "It is hard to be on this side of the Gate, Sir."

"It's always hard to be separated from family when they're at risk," the bald man replied intuitively, causing Daniel to look at him.

The archaeologist nodded, admitting, "I feel so ... helpless. I know I can't do anything here, but I can't leave, either."

"Has Doctor Fraiser checked you out recently?" Hammond inquired.

"About an hour ago," Daniel answered. "Sir, they're SG-1. They'll ... get home," he said, half as a question, half as a statement as he looked at the man he held a great amount of respect for.

With a confident smile, Hammond cocked his head, affirming, "If there's a way, Doctor Jackson, they'll be back, and you know Colonel O'Neill. With him, there's always a way."

"I hope so, General," Daniel responded, appreciating the freedom he had to be a bit open with Hammond. ~I wish you were ... I mean you're more ... thank you for being who you are, General,~ he thought.

Even in silence, Daniel struggled to say it, but in his heart, he knew George Hammond was more of a grandfather to him than Nicholas Ballard ever was. It had only been days since Nick had chosen to go live with the alien giants instead of staying to get to know his grandson. Daniel was excited for the opportunity his grandfather had received, and yet, he felt abandoned one more time. If not for his lover, the man who made him feel wanted and cherished, Daniel would feel totally empty. Now, though, he was scared because his soulmate was far away, struggling to save himself, and Earth.

~Too far away,~ Daniel thought. **Can you hear me, Jack? Gawd, I ... I love you, and I need you. Find a way, Jack. Please find a way.**

"Daniel, sit," Janet ordered, arriving in the control room for yet another check of the young man.

"You were just here," Daniel responded softly.

"And you look paler now than you did then. What's happened?" the physician asked as Daniel sat down.

"Nothing; absolutely nothing," Daniel answered, looking over at the Stargate and feeling nothing but despair within him.

====

Not much later, with Daniel seated and listening in to all the incoming reports, a report came in saying that NORAD had reported an unidentified flying object entering the upper atmosphere over the Pacific.

"They've disabled the ship's cloaking device," Daniel surmised to General Hammond and Major Davis who had just returned to the control room to check on the latest happenings.

Major Davis was worried that the incoming UFO meant SG-1 had been unsuccessful in their task. Hammond feared the worst as well, walking over to the phone and recommending that alert status be taken to DEFCON 2.

"Deploy all available assets to intercept the alien ship," Hammond ordered and then hung up the phone.

~Jack?~ Daniel automatically thought. Full of trepidation, Daniel asked, "General?"

The military side of him in full control, Hammond replied, "I'm sorry, Doctor Jackson, but if that ship makes it through the atmosphere intact, we have no choice but to assume SG-1 failed. We *must* destroy it by whatever means necessary."

Daniel blinked, life beginning to ebb from his body. If Jack died, he would, too. They'd agreed, and Daniel had no desire to renege on that agreement. He closed his eyes for one moment, remembering the last brush of their lips and the last brief contact of their hands. He trembled, wondering if this really was the end of everything for the both of them.

The archaeologist felt more ill in this moment than he had at the time of his appendicitis attack. He felt his lungs depleting themselves of air, and he knew if he looked at his reflection, he would look like a zombie, pale and devoid of emotion.

~I ... I think I might throw up, right here and now,~ Daniel thought. Keeping his eyes closed, he vowed, ~No, be strong. Jack would expect me to be strong. I ... I have to keep myself together.~

When he opened his eyes, he could feel the eyes of others on him. Without looking, he knew that both Paul and Hammond were watching him, not staring out of curiosity, but both full of concern for his welfare. He also realized he needed to maintain the appearance of strength, or Hammond would order him out of the area, something that would be even worse for him.

Moments later, the phone to his ear, Major Davis reported, "The Russians have also spotted an incoming object and are inquiring."

As Hammond responded, there was a flash of light, stunning everyone as they realized the Stargate had just disappeared.

Still shocked, but suddenly feeling air in his lungs again, Daniel deduced, "They're gonna use it to escape!"

Excitedly, looking down at Daniel, Major Davis agreed, "Like you did from the Apophis mother ship! It could work!"

More firmly, Daniel intoned, "It *will* work! The...they'll gate to another planet, then ... home." His mouth was open; Daniel felt hope for the first time today. ~Jack will get home now. SG-1 will be safe.~

Wanting to believe in his premier team, but keeping calm, Hammond interjected, "You had a DHD; they don't."

"Even disconnected, there should be enough power to dial out once," Paul Davis responded firmly to the major general.

~That works for me,~ Hammond decided as he nodded. He walked over to wall, picked up the phone, and spoke, "This is Hammond. I want the Beta Gate unpacked from storage immediately ... Yes, you *heard* me! I want it unsealed and ready for use as soon as humanly possible."

Meanwhile, the Air Force continued monitoring the UFO.

Finally, Davis reported, "We have visual confirmation. A fireball headed for the Pacific Ocean four-hundred miles off the coast of California." A minute or so later, he hung up the phone he'd been using and added, "Naval recovery teams will be moving in to deal with any wreckage." He looked over at Daniel, still seated, and said as positively as he could, "I'm sure you were right, Doctor Jackson. The point of commandeering the Stargate had to be an escape."

"I just hope they made it out in time," Daniel spoke quietly. **Come on, Jack!**

A few minutes later, most of the personnel had cleared the area, moving on to work in other areas. Hammond motioned for Sergeant Davis, who was the only one remaining, to leave his station. He sat down, staring at Daniel, who was looking like a guppy as he stared at the Stargate-less gate room.

"Doctor Jackson ... Daniel," Hammond began, his change of greeting prompting Daniel to look at him. "All we can do now is wait. Nothing can happen here until the Beta Gate arrives. I'm ordering you back to the infirmary." Hearing the young man start to object, Hammond put up his hand and shook his hand, saying, "Son, if anything changes or happens sooner than anticipated, I swear on my stars I'll have you notified immediately. You can't help them if you fall over and die."

Daniel sighed, hesitantly nodding as he looked at the spot where the Stargate should be.

"I just feel so ..." Daniel began, shaking his head as he was unable to finish his sentence. ~I can't leave, but he won't let me stay.~

"They've got the Gate, Son, and I'll bet on SG-1's record anytime," the general spoke with confidence, giving Daniel a firm smile. "To the infirmary, and that's an order."

~What would Jack do?~ Daniel asked himself. Then he let out a tiny snort as he smiled and replied, "Yes, Sir. Thank you, General."

As he reached the doorway, Daniel turned, about to speak, but Hammond nodded, firmly saying, "Any change at all, and I'll see you're told."

Again, Daniel nodded, finally leaving the room and heading for the infirmary. He had to admit it would feel good to lay down for a while. The pain was severe, but he had been afraid to say anything. He still wouldn't, but he hoped that lying down would help the ache to lessen.

Daniel walked down the stairs, but didn't get any further. He just couldn't go on. Instead, he became 'one' with a corner of the wall, waiting as time passed. Then, he quietly returned to his chair in the control room. Things were quiet there now. After all, without the Stargate, there was nothing that could be done there, so the personnel had moved to other areas of the SGC.

Undisturbed, Daniel sat back down in the chair he'd occupied for so long over the past day. He sat, staring at where the Stargate should be, silently anguishing over his friends and his lover. Hours passed before General Hammond realized he had returned.

~Okay, Son,~ Hammond thought, choosing to leave the young man alone in his misery for a while since Daniel was at least somewhere where help could be acquired quickly, if needed.

Eventually, though, Janet had had enough of waiting for Daniel to report to the infirmary. She had heard about his 'trick' with the general earlier, and thus, she came prepared, bringing with her to the control room, one of her larger and broader medical team members.

"Daniel, it's time," Janet ordered.

"I'm fine here," Daniel replied.

"Now," Janet said firmly, adding, "Or, Doctor Jackson, I can have Frank here escort you to the infirmary where I will give you a complete checkup."

Daniel glanced over at the man, who smiled, anticipating the pleasure of physically carrying the geeky Head of Archaeology over his shoulder to the infirmary.

~No, I don't think so,~ Daniel thought. "Okay, Janet. You win."

"We'll all win when SG-1 returns, and that'll be soon, Daniel," Janet said hopefully as she stood.

Daniel nodded, standing and taking one final look at the gate room before following the physician to the infirmary.

====

"What?" Janet asked, seeing a bit of a smirk on the archaeologist's face as she checked the IV bag full of antibiotics.

"You're happy," Daniel responded, sighing afterwards.

Janet sat down on the edge of the bed, answering, "Look, Daniel, if there was something you could do to bring home SG-1, I'd be all for you running around the SGC, but there isn't, so, as your doctor, yes, I'm happy to have you back, receiving the treatment I know you should have. Being up and around like you've been is lengthening your recovery time, and I'm sure your temperature is as high as it is because of your increased activity level," She smiled soothingly and added, "You need this IV and the rest."

"I'm not sleeping," Daniel spoke almost defiantly.

"I know," Janet smirked. "That's why you're so crabby."

Daniel sighed again. He didn't intend to be a lousy patient, but his mind was elsewhere -- millions of miles away, with his lover.

Janet rubbed the top of Daniel's left hand gently for a moment and then added, "They'll be back."

"They can't come home until the Stargate gets locked into place," Daniel responded.

"And, there's nothing you can do to help with that, is there?" Janet asked pointedly. When she saw Daniel nod in reluctant agreement, she suggested, "Then maybe you should focus on getting better so that when the colonel does get back, you can be your best self."

"Thanks, Janet," Daniel responded without thinking. He felt the pressure lift from the bed as the physician walked away. ~Just Jack? Why didn't she say SG-1? Gawd, I'm pathetic. Everyone knows. They must know. Jack, I ... I'm such a failure. I can't even ... wait without getting us in trouble.~

Feeling pain in more ways than one, the young man rolled over onto his right side, longing to forget everything, while knowing it was totally impossible.

====

"I want to see you back in here in two days, Daniel," Janet stated as she released Daniel from the infirmary. "And, remember, you promised to go home."

"Uh, right," Daniel said, leaving the infirmary while silently adding, ~And, I will ... when Jack gets back.~

====

Eight days after the original Stargate had been whisked away, Janet was examining Daniel, pressing on his abdomen as the archaeologist leaned back on the hospital bed.

"I hear it took a little longer than they thought to set up the second Gate," the physician commented, still checking the tenderness of the area.

"Uh, yes," Daniel responded. "They finally got it running yesterday -- technical difficulties or something."

Knowingly, Janet replied, "They needed Sam's help, huh?"

Janet pulled down Daniel's black shirt and pulled back the examination light to get it out of the way.

Sitting up and apparently still in a bit of pain, Daniel answered, "Yes, it's, uh, ... it's ironic she's not here to save herself."

"Well, you are fine. There's no sign of residual infection. You were
very lucky," Janet stated, folding her arms across her chest after having made a few notes on Daniel's chart and then putting it down.

"That's what they keep saying," the archaeologist responded.

"Well, I still want you to, uh, take it easy for at least a..." Janet began, her words interrupted by the klaxons and Walter Davis' voice announcing an off-world activation. "...another week," she continued, speaking to the blur that was Daniel as he flew out of the infirmary. "Oooookay," Janet said to herself. ~That's one hopeful archaeologist. I hope it is SG-1.~

Daniel ran down the corridors, bumping into Marines and even Sergeant Siler. He didn't care; his need to reach the gate room greater than anything else at the moment. He let out various whines and "Ow's" as well as several apologies along the way until he finally made it to the elevator that would take him to the twenty-eighth floor.

~Made it! Almost there,~ Daniel silently gasped. ~Wait for me!~

Just as the iris was ordered opened, Daniel hurried into the gate room, not stopping until he stood at the foot of the ramp.

**Jack? Please be Jack. Be okay. Gawd, Jack,** Daniel communicated, not realizing or caring if his mantra was silently said to himself or to his lover via their non-verbal abilities. ~It is him,~ he sighed with relief, seeing Jack walk through the Stargate, followed by Sam and Teal'c.

"Well, it's about time!" Jack exclaimed, extending his arms to the side as he stopped at the top of the ramp, Sam to his right and Teal'c to his left.

Daniel resembled a guppy yet again, his eyes totally focused on his weary lover.

**Are you okay, Angel?** Jack asked with their special ability.

Daniel replied, **Gawd, no, but I will be. You?**

At the same time, Sam spoke, "We've been dialing home for over a week."

Playing a bit of a game, all for show, Daniel sarcastically spoke, "It's great to see you guys, too." His eyes were wide and his voice almost light, though, as the archaeologist was unable to hide his pleasure at seeing his teammates safe and sound again. **Jack?**

As the three reached the bottom of the ramp and stopped, Teal'c stated, "I am pleased to see you well, DanielJackson."

**I'm fine, Angel, now that I see you're up and at 'em,** Jack answered, staring at Daniel and wishing he could take him into his arms. ~Gotta keep up the dang image,~ he sighed audibly, frustrated by the distance they were having to keep.

Daniel looked at the Jaffa, noting a caterpillar-like growth on his chin, and said, "Thank you, Teal'c. You've got a ..."

~Whoa!~ As Daniel reached out to touch the growth, Jack raised up his hands to block his lover's, grateful for the excuse to touch his soulmate however tentatively. He stage whispering, "Don't ... don't touch it." **But you can touch me as soon as we get out of here.**

**I can't wait,** Daniel replied, his heart beating with joy for the first time in days.

Now standing next to Daniel, having come to the gate room from the control room, Hammond greeted, "Glad you made it, SG-1."

"Where's the fanfare, General?" Jack retorted boldly.

As the banter continued, Daniel's soul swelled within him. What was being said didn't matter; what did was that Jack was right in front of him, just a foot or so away. The younger man had waited so long for Jack's return, just to know the older man was safe. Now, Jack was here, but they were surrounded by people. Daniel wanted everyone to just disappear. He needed to feel Jack's skin against his. He needed reassurance. He needed Jack. If he wasn't filled with so much relief and love at the moment, he'd hate the world for having to put on the show they were doing, to act like it was nothing special that they had just been reunited.

Finally, the torture was over, and Jack, Sam, and Teal'c headed for the locker room, leaving Daniel and Hammond at the ramp.

"They made it through again," Hammond observed after the team made their exit.

"Yes, Sir," Daniel replied, still smiling and looking at the doorway, though his friends had long since walked through the passageway.

"Go on, Son," Hammond urged, knowing Daniel wanted to be with his team.

Daniel smiled, saying, "Thank you, General. See you at the debriefing."

Swiftly, Daniel walked away, anxious to get to the locker room and hoping to steal at least a few moments with his lover before the meeting began in approximately one hour.

====

Daniel struggled to make small talk with Teal'c in the locker room. He could hear Jack singing in the showers, and he was desperate for just two minutes with him. Fortunately, Sam had chosen to use one of the other locker facilities so he didn't have to worry about making conversation with her while being so distracted.

Still, the archaeologist muddled through, hearing more details about how Thor was placed in a stasis pod and retrieved shortly after the group escaped from the doomed Biliskner to P4X-234. Sam had deduced the pod had a locating beacon in it that the Asgard used to retrieve Thor, who was one of their leaders. He also learned more about SG-1's plan to kill the Replicators by allowing Thor's ship to crash into the ocean. Then he listened to Teal'c's review of their past week, all about how Teal'c used the time to kelno'reem a lot while Sam whined about not having any science toys to play with, and how Jack spent a lot of time reminiscing about past missions, ones in which Daniel played a huge part of.

As the Jaffa prepared to walk out of the locker room, he spoke quietly but with certainty to his friend, saying, "O'Neill was very worried about you, DanielJackson. He used his stories to cover up his concern. I am glad he was just being a worry zit."

"Wha...what?" Daniel asked, standing with his arms crossed and blinking several times as he worked to decipher his teammate's comment. "Oh, uh, you mean worrywart, Teal'c."

Teal'c nodded, giving Daniel a tiny smile, and then departing the locker room.

Daniel smiled slightly, and then his heart stopped. He closed his eyes, wondering if it was a dream.

"I love you, Danny," Jack whispered, his hands rubbing gently against Daniel's upper arms.

Daniel turned, his misty blue eyes gazing into his soulmate's, and said, "Jack, we shouldn't, but if we don't, I ... I ..."

"Me, too," Jack said, walking backwards, pulling Daniel with him into one of the shower stalls.

There, the two kissed, their hands roaming each other's bodies. For two minutes, they let themselves indulge in their needs and desires until, finally, they pulled apart, knowing they couldn't risk being caught any longer.

"Say it again," Daniel requested.

"I ... love ... you," Jack repeated, pronouncing each word slowly and precisely.

"I love you, too," Daniel echoed, though his words were more rapid and connected. "Are you really okay?"

"I'll give you a copy of the Doc's report," Jack teased, though he hadn't had his post-op yet. "You?"

"I'm fine."

"Daniel!" Jack chastised.

"Ask Janet," the archaeologist challenged. "You'd better get dressed."

"Yeah, the briefing starts soon," Jack responded, heading for his locker.

"That's not why," Daniel replied.

"No?" Jack asked, throwing down the towel that had been over his shoulder.

"No," Daniel answered with a seductive smile, causing Jack to grin, which was all that needed to be said.

The two men wanted each other badly, and they couldn't wait to get home, but the day was far from over.

"Soon," Jack promised.

"Soon," Daniel agreed, nodding as he waited for his Love.

"Danny, meet me in my office in ten minutes," Jack requested.

"But the, uh, the briefing," Daniel replied.

"We have time. Ten minutes," Jack repeated.

Nodding, Daniel left the locker room, afraid if he didn't, he'd attack his lover on the spot. He headed for his own office, trying to settle his nerves while he waited for the clock to tick forward.

====

When Daniel arrived at his lover's office, Jack was already there, having turned off the recording devices. In fact, the younger man had barely walked in when the older man pinned him against the office door and begun some heavy duty French kissing, which was so much more than they'd had a chance to do in the locker room showers. The kissing led to more, which both needed in more ways than they could describe.

Their connection was heated and passionate, not to mention necessarily quick. Compared to their norm, it wasn't much since Daniel was still recovering, and Jack would only let his lover do so much. This frustrated Daniel, who wanted to do much more than his soulmate was allowing.

"We have time, Danny. I'm not going anywhere," Jack promised, having noticed Daniel's uneasiness.

"No fishing, O'Neill, not alone, never," Daniel breathlessly spoke between kisses.

"I didn't go fishing, Daniel," the older man reminded.

"I know, Jack, I'm just ... I don't know what I'm just, so just shut up and kiss me," Daniel demanded.

Daniel was practically incoherent, needing to feel Jack, wanting to be a physical part of his lover, to have their bodies connect. Time was of the essence, however, and they only had five minutes, each desperately trying to get inside each other's skin as much as possible within those minutes. All too soon, they had to stop.

"It's a nightmare," Daniel gasped as they hurriedly fixed their clothing.

"It's friggin' purgatory," Jack agreed, buttoning his green BDU jacket.

"Jack, I think maybe you need to sit by Sam in the briefing, and ... play it up a little," Daniel suggested as he tucked in his black shirt.

"Why?"

"I ... I thought I'd lost you, Jack," the archaeologist explained softly. He leaned his forehead against his Love's, saying, "I, um, was worried. Hammond saw, and Major Davis, and ... I tried, Jack, but ..."

"It's okay, Danny," Jack assured, his arms wrapping around the younger man protectively.

Shaking his head slightly, Daniel refuted, "No, it's not, but, sometimes, Jack, it just doesn't matter."

After placing another tender kiss on his soulmate's sweet lips, Jack spoke, "I know, Love. C'mon, we need to get to the briefing, or they'll come looking for us. We'll talk to Sam later, and let the rumor mills do their thing."

Daniel started to turn towards the door when Jack's lips suddenly found his yet again. In an instant, Daniel flung his arms around Jack again, pulling him close for one more long, hard kiss.

"I love you, Danny," Jack intoned.

"Love you, too, Jack."

Taking the time for yet another kiss, the lovers relished their nation of two, letting the joy and reality of it overtake them. Then, regretfully, they parted and headed for the conference room.

As they walked, they made plans for their exit from the SGC. Jack would continue his fishing charade, while Daniel pretended to simply go home, promising Janet that he'd do nothing but read and relax now that his teammates were safely back on Earth. They'd leave separately, Daniel getting a ride home from an airman once Jack had successfully left the base. Then the lovers would meet up and spend the remainder of their downtime together. That was the plan, one both were looking forward to.

====

Jack entered his lover's office, a frown on his face, something that was immediately noticeable to the younger man.

The debriefing had lasted quite a while, and then both Jack and Daniel got roped into various tasks for a few hours. Now, though, they had been within a half-hour of departing the base when Jack received the news.

Looking up from his desk, Daniel closed his eyes, then asked, "What's wrong?"

"We have another briefing," the older man announced, sighing as he leaned against the doorway, his hands in his pockets.

"Another one?" Daniel asked, his words drawn out and a vulnerability in his voice.

"Major Davis is on his way back from the Pentagon. I'm sorry, Danny," Jack spoke quietly.

As Jack started to walk towards him, Daniel shook his head, saying, "Don't. I mean, let's get the briefing ove