Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
380
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,096

King of the Road

Summary:

Just a one shot ficlet about what I wish would have happened when Jack came to visit.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Jack has been red lining it every since he got the postcard, just like he did the day he'd first heard from Ennis after four solid years of nothing. Jack has the postcard tucked in the visor of his truck. Every couple of miles he pulls it down and reads it again.

Dear Jack,

Just wanted to let you know that my divorce is final. How about getting together for some fishing around the end of the month?

Ennis

Jack realizes it is only the middle of the month, but with no Alma and the kids in the way, he figures why wait. He's howling 'King of the Road' at the top of his lungs because quite frankly that's how he feels. As he turns off the road and comes to a stop he doesn't even notice the truck or the figures seated inside of it. All he sees is Ennis, tall and lean and so very available now. He hops out his own vehicle not bothering to shut it off. He barely puts it in park.

"What are you doing here," Ennis mumbles, drawing closer.

Jack is so excited he feels like he could jump the man right there for anyone passing by to see, but this is Ennis so he reels himself in, even though he is still vibrating just a little bit.

"I got your postcard about your divorce so...here I am."

Ennis is looking uncomfortable and attempting to speak even softer, if possible about this being his weekend with the girls and he's sorry and Jack feels like a balloon that has just been poked with a pin. Ennis mutters a few more apologies and introduces him to his girls. Jack's not looking forward to the lonely drive back home and even as Ennis is still speaking and awkwardly apologizing, he's thinking of crossing the border to Mexico, just to take the edge off. He's all but in his car and ready to go when Ennis leans in the passenger side window and says, "That doesn't mean you can't stay for supper," before straightening up and heading back towards his truck and ushering the girls inside.

Jack smiles and shuts off his engine. He's already wondering what time the girls will be going to bed.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Miss Meehan.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.