Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-07-25
Words:
4,778
Chapters:
12/12
Comments:
1
Kudos:
38
Hits:
5,982

Day of reckoning

Summary:

Rating: PG
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Fandom: Emergency!
Summary: After the prank war between Chet and Johnny comes to a head, the Chief suspends both men. Can Chet and John resolve their differences when they return to work before A-Shift is torn apart?
Content Warning: Some harsh Language.
Copyright: April 2006 by Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.
Submitted through the Makebelieve_Squidge mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

Day of reckoning
by Robin R. Neher

STATION 51.......7:10 A.M.

John Roderick "Johnny" Gage whistled as he entered the station. He was happy to be back at work following a forced vacation of sorts. Johnny, A Firefighter/Paramedic on the A-Shift, had been suspended for three weeks after the prank war between him and Chester "Chet" Kelly had finally come to a head.

Johnny winced as he recalled that day. It had all started when Chet had put hot sauce in Gage's coffee. Gage then returned the favor by putting eggs in Chet's helmet.

Later that afternoon, Kelly put oil on the floor of the station's apparatus room and when the station was toned out to a house fire, instead of Johnny slipping in the stuff, Captain Stanley lost his footing and ended up hitting his head on the floor, breaking both legs and getting a nasty concussion as a result.

When the Chief arrived on scene and heard what had happened, he threw the book at Chet and John, suspending them both. Johnny for three weeks, Chet for thirty days, without pay.

Now as Johnny entered the station, he came to realize that what happened to his Captain was as much his doing at it was Chet's. He knew that he'd started the chain of events that led to Stanley's injuries.

"Morning, Gage." His Paramedic partner Roy DeSoto greeted.

"Hi," Johnny replied. "You're here early."

"I was hoping we could talk before roll call." Roy explained. "Dixie McCall told me you never once went to see Cap when he was in the hospital. His wife called me yesterday. She said you haven't visited him at home either."

"Roy, I caused him to get hurt." Johnny told him. "I didn't put the oil on the floor, but I sure as hell caused the chain of events that led to Kelly doing that."

"You feel guilty." 6'2 and blonde Roy understood.

"You bet your ass I do." Johnny replied. "I put those eggs in Chet's helmet."

"But he put hot sauce in your coffee first." His best friend countered.

"Roy, if only I'd just walked away after that-" 6'2 and dark haired John argued.

"You don't know that, Johnny." DeSoto cut him off. "Chet might've oiled that floor anyway."

"Roy, I've spent the last three weeks, seeing that shrink like the Chief ordered me to." Johnny said. "I've relieved that day, over and over with him. I keep wondering what the problem is with Chet and I. I never did or said anything to Chet. He zeroed in on me the day I first arrived here to be your partner."

"Johnny, Chet is Chet." Roy offered. "Some people just clash."

"I'm not so sure," Johnny disagreed. "I get along with you, Mike Stoker, Marco Lopez, even Captain Stanley. What is the problem with Chet Kelly?"

"Good question." The Captain himself spoke up.

"Cap." Johnny said as he turned to face him.

"Hi, John." Tall and skinny Hank Stanley greeted. "Why don't we move this to the kitchen, Guys?"

"Sure," Roy and Johnny agreed.

 

TBC.................