Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import, ksl's works
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
610
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,230

Starting with a smile

Summary:

Gibbs thoughts during Tony's first week.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Gibbs frowned. Tony DiNozzo was at his desk, bright and early, just as Gibbs had ordered him to be when they'd finally called it a night. This would be a good thing if he was also awake.

DiNozzo looked decidedly at ease; feet up on the desk, leaning back in the chair to such a degree Gibbs wondered how the hell he'd managed not tip the damn thing over. His eyes were closed, his breathing slow, deep and even.

Gibbs clenched his teeth, his grip tightening dangerously on his cup of coffee. The former Marine was beginning to think he'd made a mistake hiring the man. But damn it, he'd been impressed with the homicide cop's performance on that case in Baltimore two weeks ago. The man had good instincts and the makings of a capable investigator. And working with Gibbs had gotten the man fired; he felt like he owned him one.

Hiring him had nothing to do with the fact that Gibbs found DiNozzo attractive. That the younger man had the most appealing smile he'd seen in years. And the most beguiling green eyes. No. None of that factored in to offering the man a job. It was a perk. A side benefit.

Gibbs stalked over to DiNozzo's desk. Attractive or not, good instincts not withstanding, if the kid couldn't measure up, he wasn't staying. Gibbs wasn't prepared to make any exceptions. His libido would just have to shut up and take a back seat like it had been doing for years.

It was only DiNozzo's first week for crying out loud. If the kid thought he could get away with shit like this, he was about to find out he was sorely mistaken. His pretty face wasn't going to get him any special treatment.

Before Gibbs could even open his mouth, Tony opened his eyes and smiled. "Morning, Boss."

Gibbs glared, determined not to be swayed by that damn smile. "Sleeping on the job, DiNozzo?"

"Nope." DiNozzo swung his feet off his desk, sitting up with a fluid grace that made Gibbs heart beat a little faster. "Meditating."

"Meditating?" Gibbs snorted. "With your eyes closed and feet up?"

"Doesn't have to be sitting in lotus position and chanting." He shrugged carelessly, grinning widely, unaffected by Gibbs' dry sarcastic tone. That resilience and refusal to be completely cowed was another reason Gibbs offered him a job. It was rare for Gibbs to meet anyone who wasn't scared shitless of him.

"Never quite got the hang of that whole pretzel thing. Although there was a woman who definitely made it worth the effort to try and learn." DiNozzo chuckled and waggled his eyebrows suggestively, but sobered when he looked at Gibbs face. "Sorry, Boss, didn't mean to digress."

He pointed to Gibbs' desk. "Got that information you asked for on Lt. Pierson."

Gibbs raised an eyebrow. They'd only found out about Pierson just before heading out for the night. He suddenly had a sneaking suspicion that DiNozzo hadn't come in early; it was more likely he'd never left. Dedication was good. Very good.

"Got a line on his girlfriend too." DiNozzo stood, stretching like a sleepy cat. "She'll be at work in another," he glanced at his watch, "twenty minutes."

Gibbs nodded. He went to his desk, pulled a set of keys from the top drawer. He tossed them to DiNozzo. "Get the car."

"On it, Boss."

"DiNozzo," Gibbs barked out calling the younger man back.

"Yeah?"

"Good work."

DiNozzo tipped his head, smiling. "Thanks, Boss."

Gibbs sighed, shaking his head. God, that smile was going to be the death of him. But lord, what a way to go.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author ksl.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.