Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,342
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
791

The best is yet to come

Summary:

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my cute little new cat. So please don't sue.
Archive: Tell me to make my day.
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Season 4
Category: It's sadfic. But not the one you are used to.
Feedback: Puh-lease??
Note: This fanfic is inspired by the songs of 'Novastar' called 'The best is yet to come' and 'Wrong'. Please do me and yourself a favor and listen to them at least once in your life.
Dedicated: To M., please remember the best is yet to come...
To my wonderful feedbackers (I promised); Dale, Calen, Jen, Katharina, Nicole, Alexander, Nathan, e-rawk, Annie, Mary-Ellen, Moe, and all the people that have dropped me a little note to say they liked or hated it. Duchess, you're the best and Nate, thanks a bunch!
I wrote this fic in a very difficult period in my life. I had been through lots of bad things and suddenly I said, enough with it. This fic was sort of a therapy for me. I only hope it didn't get too emotional. It made me feel happier though. Anyway, your feedbacks mean a lot to me. Please never stop.
Submitted through the 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0 mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at 0oBuffyXanderFanfictiono0_2

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The best is yet to come
by Angel Wings

Buffy was walking down the streets. She was supposed to be on patrol. It's not that she wouldn't stake a vampire when she saw one, but she wasn't looking for them as usual. She needed some time for herself. Time to think about what had happened the last few days. It was getting dark and a little cold. She closed her coat a bit tighter. She started thinking. Riley. She sighed softly. He had been good to her. For a long time she had been crazy for him. She would have done absolutely anything for him. They had a great time. She went with her hand through her hair and remembered the way Riley used to do that.

/ Where did we go wrong \

She frowned her forehead. He had this little things that were cute at first. But after a while they started to annoy her. She didn't pay attention to it; after all, they loved each other, she couldn't think of breaking up with him because of that. But then he started to change. He wasn't the Riley she loved in the beginning anymore. He started to party more. He made new friends. Other kind of friends. He wasn't nice to her anymore like he was before. She started to feel differently for him. She noticed he couldn't hurt her anymore, he couldn't move her anymore. When he came to her dorm at three in the morning, drunk as hell, to tell her it was over, she didn't cry. The next morning, he cried. He begged her to let him in. They sat on her bed for hours.

/ Where did we go wrong \

He explained her how much she meant for him and how much he loved her. It was the first time since long he could move her again. It was also the first time she saw him cry. She took him in her arms and rocked him like a baby. The days after that were normal. Like they were before. At first he kissed her again like in the beginning, he paid attention to her like in the beginning. But then he stopped doing that, again. He spent more and more time with those new friends of him. One night he asked her to the Bronze with him, a date. Like in the beginning. But she didn't feel well. She wanted to get into bed early. He was disappointed, but he still went dancing. That night she suddenly felt a bit better, and she also felt guilty. He asked her to go with him so sweet, with a rose and all. She took the rose out of the little vase on her desk and got dressed. When she got there and saw him kissing with that girl,... She didn't feel shocked. She didn't feel sad. She didn't cry. Afterwards, in her dorm she cried the eyes out of her head, but she still couldn't feel real sad. It was only later when she found out it was Anya he was kissing that night.

/ Where did we go wrong \

Xander was out late. He wasn't going to the Bronze like he used to do when he got bored in the evening. Too many bad memories. Dances with girls who dumped him even before he got they chance to get to know him. Dances with girls he could never get. Anya. He found out very late that she betrayed him. It was on a sunny afternoon. He was going to Willow's, forgotten why. Suddenly he saw Anya walking across the street. He realized he hadn't seen her for two days and he crossed the street. He surprised her by placing his hands over her eyes. She was mad at him for doing that. At first he didn't know why, later he realized she must have felt guilty and reacted like this for that reason.

/ Where did we go wrong \

They were close. Very close. The sex was... Great. But now he came to think of it, it was all they really shared. He was angry with her at first, later he felt disappointed. She was the first girl that actually adored him. He liked that attention and he even felt flattered by her jealousy. Now he thought it was pretty ironic she was the jealous one. He smiled at himself. He could barely believe he was feeling happy on this cold and dark fall night, two days after the break up. It had been pretty dramatic. She cried and begged and he smiled. He smiled the whole time and he didn't know why. She finally got mad he didn't listen to her and didn't stop smiling and she left in a furious state of mind. He smiled again when it started raining. It started raining seriously. Within the minute he was soaked. He thought about how ironic this weather was. This was supposed to be the night he was going to drown himself or something, he was supposed to be depressed this night.

/ Where did we go wrong \

He got to a small square with a few cafes and restaurants. He had never been here before. It was raining very hard. Still he didn't feel it, he didn't feel how cold it was. Everything was so wrong and still all felt so right. He turned his face to the sky and closed his eyes for the raindrops were falling on his face. He smiled at the sky and felt happier than ever before.

She walked up a square she had never seen before. Some cosy restaurants and cafe's looked very warm to her out there, the rain pouring from the sky. Still she didn't feel the need to go in. She stood still. Rain streaming down her face, she smiled. A dark figure stood on the other side of the plaza. She smiled even more.

She slowly started walking up to him. She noticed he did the same. As soon they recognised each other's faces they stood still. They just smiled at each other. Suddenly she started running up to him. He stood still, waiting for her to crash into his arms. They laughed when he swirled her around for a little bit before he pulled her close to him. They couldn't tell whether those were raindrops runing over their cheeks or tears. Tears of joy, tears of sadness. They didn't know.

/ The best is yet to come \

He wrapped his arms around her tight. She buried her face in his wet coat. Even through the jacket she could feel the warmth of his body. She never felt happier than this. She held him tight and he did the same. They both felt like they could stand there like that for hours. He whispered soft and sweet words in her ear and she couldn't stop smiling. She pulled back a bit and leaned back closer to him, this time her face right in front of him. When their lips touched it felt like it stopped raining and the sun came up in the middle of the night. It felt like fireworks and a fireplace at the same time. They kissed as if they had breath enough to survive for a whole year. The laughed when they pulled back from each other. He smiled and for the first time in his life he felt what laughing was really about. Feeling happy. Truly happy and knowing this feeling won't fade for a long time. She smiled at him and ran with her fingers through his hair, giving it a new meaning for both of them. All memories of lost loves and unreachable loves were wiped away by one kiss. He placed an arm around her shoulder and gently led her away from the middle of the plaza, to one of the cosy restaurants. All this time they hadn't really spoken to each other, and they knew they didn't need to. They both knew.

The best was yet to come.

And it's never the end... ?

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Angel Wings.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.