Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,498
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
6
Hits:
1,380

safe

Summary:

Fandom: CSI NY
Pairing: Stella/Lindsey
Rating: PG13
Author: nancy
Sequel: maybe?
Spoilers: All Access
Summary: Stella finally feels safe.
Warnings: shmoop and unbeta'd

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Safe
by nancy

Stella stopped in surprise as the elevator doors opened and she found Lindsey in the interior. For a moment, neither woman moved. When the doors started to close, they both reached to stop them and Lindsey laughed a little as she jumped out of the elevator. Awkward, she greeted, "Hi."

Lindsey's smile faded a bit as she took in the bag and replied, "Hi. Heading out?"

"Yeah, actually. I was going to, well, I thought I could come home after the hospital, but..." Stella's voice trailed off, embarrassment rising. She'd let Frankie drive her from her own home and he wasn't even alive anymore.

Lindsey nodded and said, "That's understandable. If you want, you could stay with me. Or, I could help you clean up your apartment. Make it yours again."

It sounded good, but she wasn't sure that she could face it again so soon.

"Okay then, you're coming home with me," Lindsey said firmly, holding out a hand for the duffel.

Stella looked at the outstretched hand for a moment, then transferred her bag to it. She followed Lindsey into the elevator, outside, and then down half a block to where the other woman had parked. It was one of the SUVs from work, which made her feel even more secure and comfortable, and Stella breathed a sigh of relief when she sank into the seat.

"Buckle up!" Lindsey ordered cheerfully. "Hey, you want something to eat? I kinda missed lunch."

Stella smiled, knowing that Lindsey could put away a couple of servings of porterhouse and still look for dessert. One of the endearingly annoying things about the other woman, because she didn't gain an ounce. "Busy day?"

As Lindsey chattered on about the case she and Danny had caught, Lindsey found herself relaxing even further. She drifted in a comfortable haze as Lindsey moved from the case to inconsequential things like getting used to city life and talking to her mother. She didn't notice when the vehicle stopped, but a small hand rubbed her shoulder, bringing her gently from the hazy, comforting world of almost-sleeping.

Lindsey smiled. "We're here, honey."

Stella echoed the smile and rubbed at her eyes as she sat up straight, unbuckling the seatbelt. By the time she climbed out of the SUV, Lindsey had her bag and was waiting for her. Shaking her head, Stella observed, "You are way too awake for this time of night."

Grinning, Lindsey said, "You haven't seen me before my first cup of coffee."

"Ah. A caffeine addict. That explains a lot," Stella teased, following her into the brownstone. "I knew that wasn't just natural energy."

Lindsey chuckled. "Busted."

They climbed up two flights and walked down a longish hallway, stopping in front of one to unlock it. Inside was a comfortable studio apartment with a kitchenette and screened off area by the bed.

"This is nice," Stella approved.

"Small, especially for what I'm paying," Lindsey complained, good-natured. "I could get a house for the rent I'm paying here."

Nodding, Stella commented dryly, "Welcome to the Big Apple."

Lindsey set the bag on the bed and asked, "Want something to drink?"

"Sure," Stella agreed, sitting on the loveseat. She picked up the worn teddy bear on it and hugged it, the incredibly soft material demanding she hold it tight.

"I see you found Oscar."

Looking over at Lindsey as she sat on the loveseat, Stella asked, "Oscar?"

Chuckling, Lindsey poured the scotch into two small glasses and held one to Stella before answering, "My mother couldn't get me an Oscar the Grouch toy when I was a kid. She tried to get me to believe that Oscar had a fraternal twin who was a bear."

"And you believed her," Stella guessed, sipping at the scotch.

Lindsey confirmed, "Hook, line, and sinker."

They were silent for a while and Stella sighed a couple of times as the tension that had seemed lodged in her musculature slowly seeped out of her body. The warmth of the alcohol helped, but she suspected it was more the company than anything else. Lindsey was very soothing in her competence.

"You look about to fall out," Lindsey said, a timeless interval later. "Let's get you to bed."

Stella protested, "I can't put you out of your bed!"

Standing, Lindsey held out a hand and told her, "You're not. There's plenty of room for both of us."

A little surprised, Stella took the hand and found herself brought to her feet with a firm grip.

"Bathroom's over there, so you can get changed and ready for bed." Stella went to grab her duffel and discovered that she'd forgotten a nightgown. Groaning, she looked at Lindsey and thought, There's no way I'll fit in anything she's got.

"Problem?" Lindsey asked.

"I have nothing to wear."

Lindsey grinned. "Well, I doubt you'll fit in anything I have, although, wait..."

Stella watched as Lindsey hunted through her dresser and gave a cry of triumph a short time later.

Holding out a large, football shirt, Lindsey explained, "I played touch football all during high school and college. This will definitely fit you."

Eyebrows raised in surprise, Stella repeated, "You played touch football?"

"It was that, or be a cheerleader," Lindsey retorted, dry.

Stella grinned, trying to picture that and failing.

"No comments from the peanut gallery. Just take it and run."

Taking the shirt, she headed for the bathroom and wished she could take a shower to get rid of the hospital smell. Not wanting to deal with worrying about the stitches, though, she settled for wiping a facecloth over the back of her neck and changing into the too-large shirt. It smelled nice, clean and fresh, just like Lindsey.

And just when did you start noticing what she smelled like? her inner voice mocked.

Making a face at herself in the mirror, Stella brushed her teeth and loosely braided her hair before exiting the bathroom. When she caught sight of Lindsey dressed in cut-off sweats and a tank, she swallowed in surprise. There were a lot more muscles on that petite body than she ever would have guessed, all of it lean and in perfect proportion to the frame. She remembered, suddenly, Mac's anecdote of how Lindsey had sidelined a much larger suspect on her first day.

She mentally apologized to Mac for not believing him.

Lindsey smiled brightly and asked, "All set?"

Nodding, Stella padded barefoot to the bed and shoved her clothes in the bag. It wasn't until she was under the blankets that Lindsey turned out the lights, though there was a nightlight that stayed on in the bathroom.

"Night, Stella."

Sighing deeply, Stella yawned and replied, "Night, Lindsey. And thanks."

"My pleasure."

Not long after, Stella was sound asleep.

* * * *

A soft murmur woke Stella and something made her keep silent as she became aware of her surroundings once more. Lindsey was stretched out alongside her, though not touching, and spoke in a barely-audible voice.

"...knew something was off with you for the last couple of days and I should've made you tell me. And I'll tell you something else. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere near you, if I'd been there. I wish he was still alive, just so I could help Flack and the others take him apart, piece by piece. I'd be able to show the bastard what a knife's really for and he'd be begging for mercy. I'm so sorry I wasn't there, Stella, but I'll make sure nothing like that ever happens to you ever again, I swear it. No one will ever hurt you again, not while I've got breath in my body."

The words should have frightened her. They were bloody-minded and tinged with a thirst for vengeance that left nothing to the imagination. Stella had no doubt that Lindsey not only meant every word, but that she could indeed show Frankie what a knife could do to the human body. She also knew that if she hadn't killed Frankie, he probably wouldn't have survived custody to make his trial. When a cop was killed or injured on the job, accidents happened. When a woman was hurt or killed on the job, it was much worse. For all that it was the 21st century, they were very, very protective of the women. Unlike a lot of the women, Stella liked that aspect. It made her feel safe, even though she knew she could take care of herself.

She sighed a little and felt Lindsey freeze in place when she scooted right up against the smaller woman. It took a few minutes, but then those deceptively strong arms surrounded her and Lindsey slowly rubbed her hand up and down Stella's back. Sighing again, this time in contentment, Stella rested her cheek on the soft surface of Lindsey's breast and let herself drift once more.

For the first time since seeing that website, Stella felt truly safe. The rest would take care of itself later.

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Nancy.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.