Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,884
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,139

Media Relations

Summary:

Fandom: Criminal Minds
Pairing: Gideon/Reid, Hotch/Morgan
Rating: FRC
Summary: What would happen if the boys met under different circumstances?
An AU where not everyone joined the FBI.
Warnings: A drabble with no redeeming plotline. I may add more alternate careers and make this a collection. I already have another in mind with a Gideon/Hotch, Reid/Morgan pairing...
Submitted through the CriminalMinds_slash mailing list.

Work Text:

Media Relations
by Sam

"There's got to be a clue to all of this in here somewhere."

Letting out a huff of breath, FBI agent Derek Morgan scanned the crime scene one more time. They hadn't missed anything; logically he knew that. As much as he hated to admit it, sometimes the evidence just wasn't there. "Reid? What do you think?"

Taking his own last look around, rather an imitation of his senior field agent or not, the young profiler's eyes narrowed, his lips pursing before his tongue flicked out, white teeth scoring the bottom one in thought. "No, we didn't miss anything," his head shook firmly once, finalizing his assertion. "There was nothing left here *to* overlook. All we can gather from the chaos is that the unsub is both ruthless and methodical. He's also quite probably a sexual sadist. Someone who takes great pleasure in the pain of others, despite the fact - or maybe because if it - that there is very little blood."

"Damn. I hate it when they're smart."

At the slightly indignant tone, Spencer smiled. "We're smarter." It wasn't a boast, Morgan knew. Spencer alone probably had an IQ of both him and the unsub combined.

"Yeah? Well all right brainiac. Why don't we go see if the reporters hovering like vultures might have caught something we missed."

Hands in his pockets, head turning to the crowd of reporters holding cameras, microphones, notebooks and greedy expressions, avarice eyes looking over at the quiet suburban house marred by this mornings violence, Spencer nodded. "After you."

---

"Here they come."

Smiling a bit in satisfaction, Jason Gideon, lead reporter for KLM News kept his head down; admonishing his cameraman, "Don't acknowledge them. Let them come to us."

"What makes you think they're coming for us?"

Eyeing the laid back smirk coming from under the backwards ball cap, Gideon just smiled, confident in his assessment of the situation. "They will." After all, Gideon and Hotch were the best in their field.

Occupying himself with coiling up the lead cable and stowing it away with the rest of his equipment, Hotch smirked, knowing his anchor too well. "We trying to psych them out or you just wanting a better look at the younger one?"

Rather than take offense at the suggestive tone, Gideon's smile grew, handing the younger man his microphone to lock back in its case. Aaron Hotchner was his friend as well as his cameraman after all, and had been for years. "Yes."

"Thought so. In that case, on your six and coming up in 15."

So armed, Jason finished his putter-packing and timed his turn to coincide with the two agents arrival at their news van. "Something I can help you with, gentlemen?" he asked politely. No point in making enemies with the FBI if they didn't have to.

The darker one, Gideon assessed his age at mid thirties, maybe a bit younger, flashed his badge, announcing, "Agent Derek Morgan with the BAU." Nodding to his companion, Agent Morgan added, "This is Doctor Spencer Reid."

Nodding once to the both of them, Gideon shifted his attention to 'doctor' Reid, briefly wondering just what a younger man who looked to be only in his mid-twenties could possibly be a doctor of. The longer hair, caramel strands tucked severely out of the way behind his ears, certainly didn't foster the image of a proper FBI agent either. Unlike Morgan who's sunglasses left no doubt about the brown eyes not-quite hidden behind the lenses, Doctor Reid's glasses were dark, giving no hint as to the younger man's eye color or expression.

Rather than comment on any of that however, all Gideon asked was, "BAU?"

To his surprise and secret delight it was Reid who answered rather than Morgan; the young voice mellow and strong, if a bit eager to please. "Behavior Analysis Unit. We're here to analyze the crime scene to better able the FBI and the police to catch the killer."

"All very interesting I'm sure, " Gideon turned slightly to face Reid. Time to see what they could manage to pick up from the FBI that might add that edge to their story and it would appear the good doctor would be the one to ask. Still polite, Jason added, "However, I fail to see what this has to do with us?"

Again to his surprise it was Reid who answered, fidgeting a bit under the direct scrutiny. But only for a moment. Gideon could all but see the silent transition taking place right before his eyes as the FBI training took over. "We were hoping you might be able to help us."

"Help you how?"

Jason could hear Hotch quietly snickering the background and he was sure, from the small frown to mar the handsome features, so could Agent Morgan. The posture that tensed the lean body as well as the slight abortive move made as if to somehow protect the younger doctor were both very telling.

Also telling was the fact that, not only had Reid caught both reactions, he had also read and inferred their reasoning and decided he didn't need any help.

His denial of needing any assistance was much more subtle. Rather than retreat, he stepped slightly forward, taking off his glasses and peering up into Gideon's eyes, saying only, "By allowing us to view any footage you might have shot of the crime scene and surrounding areas from the time you arrived until twenty minutes ago."

Damn. Direct, assertive ... but if he didn't know any better, Gideon would swear the boy was flirting with him. The direct eye contact, the slight smile playing around the lips parted just so... Far be it from him not to answer it. "And why would I do that?"

"Because it's your civic duty?" Reid suggested, smiling with a cheerful naiveté that Gideon couldn't decide if it were completely false or not. Definitely flirting, Lord help him. "And we would be grateful for any help you could lend us in expediting the capture of this man."

"And for this assistance, " the anchor thought about it, making sure to shift the tiny bit that would bring himself *just* inside the young man's personal space. "What would we get in return?"

"Our eternal gratitude?"

This time it was Morgan's turn to chuckle.

Brought out of his intense study of Agent Reid's eyes - they were hazel - by that small sound, Gideon dropped the confrontational act and laughed himself. "Fine. I'm sure my cameraman has already dubbed you a copy while we were speaking."

He was fairly sure he was the only one to hear Hotch snort in the background. "Speaking? Is that what it's being called these days?"

As if they had rehearsed it in fact, Hotch handed a cassette to Gideon from over his shoulder. "Already on it boss."

"Thank you, Hotch." Gideon smiled again, handing the tape to Agent Reid, noting Aaron had already written Jason's office and cell number on a post it stuck on top. "I hope this helps."

"Just like that?" Morgan asked. No longer so territorial now that Gideon had backed off, the other agent smiled, though the expression was laced with suspicion. The part of Gideon not watching Reid tuck the black cassette inside the soft, battered leather satchel slung around his neck noted that the darker man was eyeing Hotch as he asked, "So what's the catch?"

"No catch," Jason assured him.

"Jason likes helping out the authorities, " Hotch shrugged. "Calls it media relations. Besides, we only need one copy to do our job so why get in the way of you doing yours?"

"Good point." Morgan admitted. "I wish every member of the press were as helpful."

"Yes," Reid piped up, dry smile reaching his eyes as he added his own thanks. "You've been very helpful, Mister Gideon."

Gideon just smiled. "We aim to please. If you need anything else, my numbers are on the card. Oh, and Doctor Reid? It's just Jason. No mister."

"Understood," Reid nodded, one hand tucking an errant stray behind his ear. Turning to go, Doctor Reid threw one last smile over his shoulder. "Jason."

Watching the pair of FBI agents head back to their crime scene, Gideon had to admit it was a very nice view. He may be old but he certainly wasn't dead.

"Well he certainly was cute." Moving up beside him, Hotch grinned.

"Yes. Yes he was." Laughing out right at the absurdity of mid life crisis, Jason shook his head and admitted he *wanted* the very young Spencer Reid to call him. He got the feeling if he did, his life would be a lot more interesting. Sparing his friend a sideways glance, Gideon offered, "Agent Morgan was a very fine looking man."

"Yes he was." Hotch returned archly, causing Gideon to laugh outright. It was clear that he wasn't the only one eagerly anticipating *this* call-back.

"Yes he was."

---

Casting a sly look over at his partner, Morgan just waited.

He didn't have to wait long. The small, embarrassed quirk of Reid's lips told him that Spencer knew he was looking. "What?"

"Were you..." Moran trailed off, making it look as if he couldn't believe what he had seen back there. And in a way, he couldn't. Never had he seen the young genius react like that, to anyone. Not even that blond starlet actress they had been protecting last year in LA. "Were you actually *flirting* with that man?"

Reid glared as best he was able without actually looking at him, nuttering, "Shut up."

"Seriously," Morgan teased. "He was cute. Bet he thought you were cute, too."

"You know, " Reid sighed sadly. "That was the one thing I hated to be called in high school. Cute."

"Didn't help you were literally years ahead of the other kids, huh?"

"Not really, no."

"If it's any consolation, I don't think Jason Gideon would mind." That made the younger man look at him and Morgan grinned. "You going to call him?"

"What? No! I - I mean..." this look Spencer threw him wasn't nearly as confident as he one he had used on the news anchor. "You think I should?"

"Yeah, kid," Morgan told him seriously. "I think you should." Waiting a moment while Reid thought it over, Morgan threw an arm around his young colleague's shoulders and added slyly, "After all, I need someone to call him and ask him for his cameraman's number. Seriously yummy. I mean, did you *see* those dimples?"

That and an exaggerated waggling of the eyebrows over his light sunglasses earned him a laugh. "You're such a dog."

"Woof, woof, baby."

End