Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
919
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
742

Coming Out

Summary:

Fandom: New Professionals
Pairing: Curtis/Keel
Rating: PG
Status: Complete
Archive: WWOMB. If anyone else wants it, just ask...
Feedback: Please. Flames will be used to toast marshmallows!
Disclaimers: The boys don't belong to me (worse luck), and I don't have enough money to be sued!!
Notes: This is my first ever NP story to be completed. It is just a short story that popped into my head while I was at work and having an obsession with Mistletoe! Sam took over the story though, as I didn't plan what he did!!
Summary: Sam and Chris come out to their friends and colleagues.
Warnings: If you don't like the idea of two men in a loving relationship, or you are under age, then please hit delete now.
Submitted through the NewProfessionalsFic mailing list.

Work Text:

Coming Out
by Mahlia Belonn

Tina Bacchus stepped down from the chair and admired her handiwork. The mistletoe hung dead centre above the doorway into the CI5 Operations Centre. Tina had insisted that they have mistletoe at the staff Christmas party for purely selfish reasons. She was planning to catch Sam underneath it as she had been dreaming about what it would be like to kiss him. She couldn't wait for the party to start!

*****

The party was in full swing and Tina was stationed near the door. Sam hadn't arrived yet, but since he was picking up Chris, that wasn't unusual. She was sure that Chris would arrive at his own funeral late! It was tempting to call Sam, especially considering how much trouble the pair of them had a habit of getting into, but she managed to restrain herself... just.

*****

Sam turned off the car and faced his partner. "You ready for this?" Sam questioned.

"As ready as I'll ever be... do we have a plan yet?"

"No... let's just wing it like we normally do," suggested Sam.

"That should work."

Before Chris could open the door, Sam pulled him across for a quick 'good luck' kiss. They had been a couple for six months now, and had informed Malone two months before. Malone had accepted the relationship on the proviso that it didn't affect their work negatively. They had been quick to point out that they were working better than ever. Malone's only reply to that was a curt 'dismissed.' The Christmas party was the perfect place to 'come out' to their workmates, but they hadn't decided exactly how they would do that. All they knew was that by the time tonight was over, they wouldn't have to hide any more.

*

Sam and Chris entered the Ops room and were immediately bailed up by Tina and several others who were milling around the entrance. They all pointed to the mistletoe, and then stood ready to be kissed. The boys had just been given the perfect opportunity to come out. They turned to each other for a short kiss, but as per normal, they quickly forgot that anyone else existed as the kiss deepened. They were oblivious to the shock on Tina's face, and the cheers and catcalls from the majority of the people there. As the kiss continued, the cheering got louder and their workmates started clapping.

When Sam and Chris broke apart for air they became aware of the applause and cheering. Chris' pale skin turned a bright shade of red that caused everyone to laugh and Sam to shift uncomfortably. He had always thought that Chris looked edible when he blushed, and that combined with the kiss was getting a reaction from a certain part of his anatomy. Thoughts of Malone managed to keep it from becoming embarrassing.

As one, their workmates started asking questions. Sam laughed.

"Let us get a drink first, then we'll answer your questions." They walked across to the drinks table while still holding hands. As soon as they had taken a sip of their drinks, the questions started again. Chris and Sam both laughed and called for quiet.

"Maybe we should make you raise your hands like at school!" Sam joked.

Tina, acting as a representative for everyone, started off the interrogation. "How long?"

"Six months now," Chris answered.

"Does Malone know?"
"Of course... we told him two months ago, but I think he knew before we did!"

Everyone laughed at that.

"Have you always been gay, or is this a recent development?"

Chris coloured again at Backup's bluntness.

"We are both Bi... always have been."

"Is this serious or just a convenience thing?"

Everyone looked shocked at the bluntness of that question. Instead of answering directly, Sam took Chris' hands in his and went down on one knee.

"Chris you mean everything to me. Without you I don't think I could go on living. In front of all of our friends and colleagues, will you marry me and spend the rest of your life with me?"

All the people present held their breath while they awaited Chris' reply.

Chris was stunned. He knew Sam loved him, but he never expected this. He loved Sam totally so there was only one answer he could give.

"Oh god yes... Love you so much Sam." He pulled Sam up so that they could seal their promise in the traditional way. As they kissed, everyone applauded again.

"Did that answer your question?" Spencer asked Tina quietly.

"Well I guess it did... Look at them both... they're practically glowing."

"Yeah... they look so happy," Rebecca agreed. "Wish I could find a love like that..."

Tina sighed at that. She had been entertaining vague hopes of being with Sam for a while now, but tonight showed her that it was never going to happen. You would have to be blind to miss just how happy they were together, and now with the power of hindsight, she could see that it had been there all along. It brought out all her protective instincts, and she made a silent vow to herself that she would do all in her power to protect that happiness. These two deserved all they could get. It also gave her some hope... Love did exist, and maybe she might find her own true love some day.

The End
14th December, 2002