Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,894
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
1,590

Clouds

Summary:

A vignette exploring the friendship between Geordi and Data as the two spend an afternoon of shore leave together, enjoying a Human pastime – Cloud gazing.

Work Text:

Title: Clouds
Author: Poodle
Rating: PG
Summary: A vignette exploring the friendship between Geordi and Data as the two spend an afternoon of shore leave together, enjoying a Human pastime - Cloud gazing.

 

 

Clouds
By Poodle~

 

Blue as far as the eye could see, but no Human eye was there to see it.

Geordi LaForge reclined on a cushion of velvet green, his visored vision trained into a cloudless sky, when suddenly an inquisitive voice invaded his tranquility.

"I do not understand."

"Shush!" he snapped, and his companion fell into bewildered silence.

Sunlight filtered to the hillside and onto the languid duo in crisp, heated light.

LaForge sighed with contentment.

"I fail to comprehend the purpose--"

"Data, I didn't bring you here for Twenty Questions."

"Inquiry. -Twenty Questions'?"

He moaned. "Forget it. We're here to relax and enjoy the view."

"A traditional Human pastime. I appreciate your attempt to include me in your recreation, but it would appear I lack the fundamental ability to fully relish this endeavor."

"Nonsense, you'll get the hang of it."

A frown creased the android's face. "Hang of it?"

LaForge squeezed his sightless eyes shut in exasperation and flopped back to the ground. "Forget I made the comment," he mumbled, looking once more into the vivid sky. "It's no wonder you always take shore leave on the ship."

"'Always' is inaccurate. There have been numerous occasions when I have--"

"Figuratively."

"Ah...yes."

The android shut his mouth and a companionable silence settled around them, as heat soaked into their pores and the breeze whispered a hint of lavender from distant fields.

LaForge breathed deeply, inhaling the aroma. "Paradise," he murmured, as his mind freely drifted.

Minutes quietly melted past, then-

"The purpose of this recreation eludes me."

The words cut into his mental sanctuary, and he sprang onto his elbows. "Can't you just go with it?"

The android dropped his eyes.

LaForge huffed and fell back to the ground. "I'm not trying to be hard on you, buddy. I just want you to learn to enjoy the simple pleasures of life."

"We are currently experiencing one of these simple pleasures?" the android queried.

"I'd like to think so." LaForge smiled. "I invited you to join me, hoping to expand your imagination though cloud gazing."

"Regrettably, I am incapable of spontaneously generated creativity. At least not as typically demonstrated by Humans."

"Give it time. It'll grow. I have faith in you."

LaForge returned his attention to the sky, and a lengthy pause followed, until a rustle drew his gaze from the view, causing him to look around.

Data lay stretched on the grassy hillside beside him, his questing nose poised inches from the ground.

"What the hell are you doing now?" LaForge threw up his hands in aggravation. "This recreation is conducted lying on your back, not your belly."

"Perhaps you have failed to note the unique insect life present."

LaForge groaned and rolled onto his stomach. "Ants," he grumbled at the marching line of insects, oblivious to the strangers as they continued their trek into the tall grass.

"More accurately, they only appear to be ants, when in actuality they contain sixteen--"

"I didn't bring you here for a lesson in entomology."

"But, Geordi," the android's head cocked at an angle to meet his friend's gaze. "These really are quite intriguing."

"To an android, maybe," he grumbled. "Or an ant bear."

Data's head tilted in puzzlement. "Ant bear?" He thought for a moment, then his face brightened. "Myrmecophaga jubata. The aardvark!"

"Exactly. You look just like one. Get up from there."

Ignoring the comment, Data again trained his snout toward the ground - an aardvark on the scent.

LaForge sighed. "My valiant attempts thwarted by little more than ancient picnic marauders."

Yellow eyes cut in his direction. "I was unaware we were also planning to perform a picnic."

It was hopeless! He dropped his head into his hands. "One doesn't perform a picnic, you just have one."

"Are not consumables necessary components in such rituals?"

"We aren't having a picnic." He gritted his teeth. "We're cloud gazing."

Data resumed his enraptured study of the ants. "I have observed no such manifestations," he commented softly.

"Just give it time," LaForge looked upward.

"I find it unlikely any form of condensed atmospheric moisture will present itself on Varas Two today." A golden finger reached out and lightly stroked an insect. "Perhaps a picnic would have been a more fruitful endeavor."

"Or kite flying." A smile brightened the chief engineer's face.

"Kite flying?" The android blinked and sat up, his attention finally piqued. "On Carness Five I observed the activity you describe conducted by several Humans and an Andorian. They appeared to greatly enjoy the experience."

"Yeah." He grinned. "As kids we'd spend entire afternoons sailing our kites among the clouds."

Data frowned. "Alas, again it would seem clouds are an integral element."

LaForge laughed. "Not hardly, my friend, just deep blue skies, wings to fly...and the freedom to dream."

The android's forehead wrinkled. "But I am unable to dream, as I am unable to sleep."

"To wish, to hope." He shifted to his companion's side and breathed against his ear. "To imagine."

Data nodded.

"We used to pretend we were soaring through the clouds, not rooted to the ground. And I told my friends, one day I'd be gliding through space on a starship." His face held the light of distant memory. "They only laughed."

"I fail to perceive the humor inherent in such a statement."

"It wasn't intended as humor," he whispered. "But the idea of a blind boy piloting a starship was more than they could handle."

Data's lips parted. "They were making fun of you?"

"Another Human pastime, I'm afraid."

"And another I fail to comprehend."

"Maybe you're all the better for lacking such understanding." He shrugged, then threw back his head with sudden exuberance. "But valiantly I remained undaunted, overcoming insurmountable odds to become the most brilliant starship navigator of all time, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound."

"Geordi! Such feats are unlikely."

LaForge burst into laughter, much to his friend's bewilderment.

Data briefly closed his eyes and tilted his head, a computer accessing a memory chip, then realization suddenly brightened his face. "Ah, you are attempting exaggeration for the purpose of..." He frowned. "What is your purpose?"

"There is no purpose." His laughter subsided to a chuckle. "That's the point. There doesn't have to be a reason for the things you say or do. It's mindless chatter beneath the sky. You soak up the sun and let your mind wander.'

Data sighed and gazed upward. "I regret nature's failure to provide all the essential factors involved in your afternoon's enjoyment." He sympathized.

"What failure?" LaForge spread his hands wide to encompass the sky. "Nature's in full bloom. You don't hear me complaining."

"Your stratified formations of visible atmospheric moisture," he reminded softly.

"You never miss a beat." LaForge shook his head and grinned. He awaited a further response but none came, and the two again fell silent.

Only the melodic twill of birds invaded their solitude as the sun's soothing rays toasted their faces.

LaForge's mind drifted.

"Excessive exposure to ultraviolet light is ill advised."

The android's mellow tone weaved into his thoughts. "Huh?" He startled, sitting up.

"The atmosphere of Varas Two is thinner than Earth's, hence, the absence of conditions conducive to the formation of clouds."

"I know that," he grumbled. "Next you'll be giving me a weather report."

"What I was attempting to convey is the inadvisability of prolonged exposure to the ultraviolet spectrum of--"

"Data, do me a favor - can it."

The android's mouth snapped shut.

"That's better," he breathed, settling back. "The sound of silence. Just the wind, the sky and..." He bolted upright. "I see one!"

"One?" Came an almost timid query.

"On the horizon." LaForge pointed, his face beaming. "The sliver of a cloud - see?"

The android's lateral pupils narrowed as he peered into the distance. "Your visor affords remarkable reception," he murmured in awe. "I am only minimally able to discern what appears to be a cirrus cloud."

LaForge huffed. "When I was hoping for a good old fashioned cumulus."

"In actuality, cumulus encompasses several distinct cloud forma--"

"I'd settle for a few elephants, a couple of giraffes."

"Excuse me?"

"A circus menagerie," he exclaimed, grinning.

"If your intent was to view such an exhibit, would not a sojourn to Cypress have been more appropriate?"

Laughter drowned the android's drone.

Data blinked in puzzlement. "Cypress is renowned for its wildlife exhibits," he mumbled in his defense. "Even Starbase Twelve offers an astonishing array of quadrupeds for viewing in conditions simulating their natural environments."

"Data, just lean back and identify the clouds." LaForge settled on his elbows. "There are a few floating our way now."

The android's head cocked toward the horizon. "Cirrostratus," he murmured. "Their stratification--"

"Data!"

The golden brow furrowed. "You requested that I identify..."

"Geese," he interrupted softly. "I see a flock of snow white geese."

Data frowned. "I was unaware you were able to discern color with such accuracy as to delineate -snow white.'"

He ignored the comment. "Yep, a flock of snow white geese. But they're breaking up already."

"Geordi, are you certain your visor is functioning properly? I see no flock," the android fretted.

"They're gone," he whispered. "These aren't very good clouds," he complained. "It doesn't look like we're going to get any decent viewing today."

"Clearly I lack the rudimentary understanding to master this particular recreation." The android shook his head in confusion. "It is possible I am seriously impeding your enjoyment."

"Don't worry about it." LaForge slapped his companion on the back. "The clouds are at fault. But I *could* do with a few tigers, perhaps a dragon or two," he mused.

"A dragon?" the android mouthed quietly to himself. "I am unaware of any such genus of cloud." He peered intently into the sky, attempting in vain to comprehend the game.

"Or maybe a turtle."

"If it is your desire to view a zoological exhibit, the Enterprise is due to arrive at Cypress in two days," he reminded helpfully.

"Clouds, Data, I'm talking about clouds." LaForge stretched flat on the grass and laced his hands behind his head to gaze heavenward. "*Shaped* like animals."

Data's eyes grew round. "I have never before witnessed formations of the sort you describe."

He chuckled softly. "And you aren't going to today, either, if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate."

"Geordi, you are certain this is a common Human pastime?"

"Positive."

Data shook his head in perplexity. "Apparently such manifestations are most anomalous."

LaForge laughed and murmured beneath his breath, "You'll never change."

"Could you tell me, does their classification distinguish them as High, Middle or Lower formations? Do they exhibit similar properties to--"

"Data, *Data*, you think too much." He drew a deep breath. "The whole idea behind this is to let your thoughts wander and loosen you up."

The android sighed and settled back against the ground. "Perhaps a fellow Human would have been a more suitable companion for this endeavor. I regret my continued deviation from the expected mode of play."

"Relax, it's no big deal." LaForge plucked a blade of grass and sent it sailing toward his friend's head. "Let me know if you spot one."

The duo scanned the wide sky to no avail, but for an occasional feathery wisp that drifted past.

"Maybe kite flying wasn't such a bad idea after all," LaForge commented absently.

"It appears unlikely atmospheric conditions will produce the phenomena you describe."

"Most people would kill for such a warm, clear day, and here we are wishing for a touch of moisture." He stretched languidly. "We should just sit back and enjoy it."

His companion offered no comment.

Sunlight caressed LaForge's upturned face and he breathed deeply and stretched again as the warmth lulled his senses. "A fellow could fall asleep in a place like this," he whispered.

"Your attempt to include me in this traditional Human diversion is most appreciated."

Data's soothing tone drifted to his ears and he smiled sleepily. "My pleasure. Besides, how are you ever going to learn if you aren't exposed to everyday Human pastimes?"

"Alas, it would appear I have failed in this particular instance."

"Nonsense, there's no right or wrong way to cloud gaze. You're doing fine. Just lean back, breathe deeply and allow the phantoms of the sky to wash across the fertile fields of your imagination. In no time at all, you'll be--"

"The existing arthropodal life is quite fascinating."

"Huh?"

LaForge turned and found his companion belly-down on the sloping hillside - nose again pressed to the ground.

He groaned. "Data."

"Although, it is somewhat difficult to differentiate this species from previously classified ants, they possess distinct characteristics any entomologist would be eager to document. Perhaps, when we return to the Enterprise--"

"Data."

"Lieutenant Kyles specializes in the study of social insects, and I am certain she--"

"You're hopeless!" His head dropped to the grass. "Just a tinge of imagination is all I ask, just the *tiniest* spark."

"It is possible that such insects..."

~*~*~*~*~*

"I swear, I've done all I can!" LaForge threw up his hands in dismay.

Commander Riker chuckled softly. "I'm certain he senses that he disappointed you, Geordi."

"Sometimes I think he possesses no hint of creativity."

"This, from the man who taught an android to paint?"

"I know. I know." LaForge shook his head, regretting the outburst. "But I hoped he could grow beyond that."

"Don't be so hard on the guy. Since the two of you returned from Varas, he's looked pretty glum. He's been locked away on the holodeck for hours."

LaForge ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry if I've upset Data, but sometimes it's a little difficult to hide my disappointment."

Riker nodded his understanding. "At least he's trying. You've got to give him that. I happen to know he's working on a sort of peace offering for you on Holodeck Three."

"Peace offering?" LaForge frowned.

"Rumor has it." Riker shrugged, a twinkle forming in his eyes.

"Poor guy. Now he thinks I'm mad at him."

"Maybe you should wander down and peek at his project. Cheer him up."

LaForge drew a lingering sigh. "Probably has something to do with ants."

"Excuse me?"

"Never mind."

~*~*~*~*~*

"I was not upset, Data, just a little disappointed, that's all. Nothing personal."

"I regret my inability to contribute to your enjoyment of Varas Two," the android responded quietly as they stepped onto the holodeck.

"Don't sweat it."

The arch dissolved behind them, and LaForge found himself surrounded by a vibrant summer's day.

"Varas! You've recreated it. Why in the world would you want to?"

"I was seeking to...make amends."

LaForge frowned. "I don't understand."

"I was endeavoring to reconstruct our afternoon with the intent of bringing about a more desired conclusion."

"Data, it's beautiful, but really you didn't have to go to all this trouble. We had a wonderful day."

"With several notable exceptions." Data led the way to the top of a hill, and LaForge trailed behind. "Please, sit."

"This isn't necessary," he protested again as he sat. "You tried, that's what matters. Besides, Commander Riker tells me you've been in here for hours. What gives?"

"I have been practicing," he announced proudly, tilting his nose skyward.

"Practicing?"

"Cloud gazing."

"What!" LaForge laughed. "You've got to be kidding."

"Indeed not. I have devoted considerable time to researching this particular subject and I believe I have..." his expressive eyes caught an introspective light, "the hang of it."

"You never give up, do you?" LaForge slowly shook his head.

"I have found much truth in the adage *practice makes perfect.*" The android's gold-tinted face held self-satisfaction as he looked toward a brilliant blue sky.

LaForge chuckled softly. "So you think you've got this thing licked?"

"Most assuredly. It is my desire to perfect the art of cloud gazing, thus making me a companion much more suited to accompanying you on similar ventures in the future."

"Look, Data..." LaForge swallowed hard. "I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you. Creativity isn't one of your strong points."

"None the less, I wish to try," the android responded softly with a hint of wistfulness.

LaForge rested a hand against his shoulder. "If it's any consolation, buddy, you're all the more Human for the effort."

Data caught his friend's unwavering attention, then gazed back toward the heavens. "Your manifestations," he whispered.

LaForge turned and his mouth dropped.

Against a backdrop of blue a multitude of clouds bellowed into the horizon. Each assiduously sculpted into perfect silhouettes - elephants, lions, tigers....

A circus menagerie.

"Data!"

A slight smile traced the android's lips.

 

~*End