Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,331
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
943

The Captain And The Commander

Summary:

Disclaimer: Paramount owns the Trek-multiverse. I'm just having some fun and preserving what little sanity I possess, 'kay?
Codes: Jim Kirk/Spock
Personal Disclaimer: I'm not much of a story writer, so I know that this'll probably suck. If the concept of m/m sex scares you and/or pisses you off, don't read this. This is an A/U.
I'm making no effort to follow the so-called "established" Trek-universe.
Submitted through the KirkLovesSpockFic mailing list. This list can no longer approve new members posts, please join us at KirkLovesSpock

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Captain And The Commander
by Omega

*It has been too many years since we last saw one another. I doubt that his feelings have stayed the same. It would be logical and probably the least painful to simply avoid meeting with him during this banquet,* Spock thought to himself as he dutifully mingled with the assorted guests at one of the numerous and obscure banquets that the Admiralty seemed so fond of holding. He often found such banquets to be a chore bordering on an annoyance. But tonight's was going to be more difficult than usual. Tonight, there was the possibility of him meeting Kirk again after ten years apart.

*It was rather...painful...to make him turn away. I know that this concession, even in the sanctuary of my thoughts, is not logical, but it is the truth nevertheless.* Spock felt his breath catch for an instant and he lost himself to the memory of a fateful night, ten years ago, when everything had changed............

Ten years ago, the Enterprise's five-year mission had come to an end. Admiral Nogura wanted Kirk to accept a promotion to the Admiralty. He thought that Kirk would be content to sit back and bask in the admiration of the galaxy while someone else took *his* ship out on exploratory missions. Nogura was a stupid fool. Kirk refused to accept the promotion, like Spock had known he would.

Kirk had invited Spock to have dinner that evening. After a delightful meal of Greek salad and--at least on Kirk's part--Saurian brandy, they began talking. Kirk had seemed a little preoccupied during the course of the meal. Spock finally asked him why.

Kirk smiled a little bitterly. "They're giving her back to me, Spock."

Spock felt confused. This was what his friend had wanted. "That is good news, Jim--"

"No, it's not."

"Why?" Now Spock was *really* confused.

Kirk raised his head and looked Spock squarely in the eye. "They aren't giving *you* back to me."

Spock found that he was unable to breathe. He wasn't going with Jim back on the Enterprise. Suddenly, the future seemed to be out of reach.

"Why?" he asked, sounding anguished and hurt despite himself.

Kirk shrugged. "Politics, I guess. The Ice Man wouldn't give me a straight answer. I used every angle I could think of. I even got T'Pau to petition for you......nothing."

Spock felt horribly betrayed. Not by his friend, but by Starfleet. "Jim......" he began softly.

Kirk looked at him. "They found out about us," he said quietly.

Once more, Spock was startled. "I don't know how...but they did." Kirk said quietly.

"That must be why they are effecting this transfer," Spock finally said. He then made the hardest decision of his life. "Perhaps it would be best---"

"--for us to part ways?" Kirk asked, sounding bitter.

Spock found that he was unable to speak, let alone respond. He finally found the strength to nod.

Kirk's lips tightened for a moment, then he seemed to sag in defeat. "All right." was all he said.

Spock rose and turned to leave his friend. "Spock." A whisper.

"Jim." A plea.

Kirk rose smoothly and captured Spock's lips in a final kiss. For one glorious moment, Spock surrendered all of his senses to the sight, smell, and taste of Kirk's silken lips.

Too soon, much to soon, the kiss ended.

Spock looked at his friend, tears actually brimming in his eyes. "Goodbye."

He left Kirk's quarters, refusing to look back.........

Captain Kirk wandered through the crowds, absently returning the smiles of the numerous patrons. His mind was captured in the same memory.

*Why did I let him leave me like that? I love him, I need him. If Starfleet can't accept that, then I'll resign. I never should have let him go.*

Kirk drew up sharply. Spock was standing before him, looking out at the starry skies that had brought them together and thrown them apart. Kirk felt the barrier between their minds relax. Once more, he could feel the subtle echo of Spock's thoughts.

Spock turned and caught sight of Kirk. He found for a long moment, that he was unable to breathe, much less speak. Kirk looked basically the same....his body a bit thinner...his hair a bit greyer....his face a little more lined....but to Spock he was a work of art just begging to be put in a museum. *Oh, Jim....my love...*

Kirk swallowed hard. "Commander, it is...good to see you again."

Spock drew a shuddering breath. "As it is to see you....Captain."

He could see the same fire of passion and love in Kirk's eyes. It wasn't dimmer, if nothing else it seemed to burn more brightly. He could feel his passionate mind begging him to open the telepathic door between their souls and make them one once again. He recalled an ancient proverb: when two souls become one, nothing can come between them.

*I was a fool, I could never excise him from my heart. He wasn't a part of my mind, he was..he *is* a part of my soul. Oh t'hy'la, can you forgive me?*

Suddenly, Kirk's arms were around him, his arms were around Kirk, and their lips were crashing together like they had hundreds of times before. Their minds may have forgotten, but their bodies and souls had not.

They were gradually brought back to reality by all the cheers and shouts from their fellow officers. The crowd fell silent and parted. A very pissed-off Admiral Nogura came up.

"Captain! Commander! What is the meaning of this?"

Spock did not loosen his grip on Kirk; he merely turned his head and arched a brow at Nogura, which annoyed him even more. "Admiral, I believe that the reasons are rather obvious."

Nogura began shaking. "This is why---"

"---you broke us up," Kirk finished, a hint of anger in his voice. "Well, sorry, IceMan, but it didn't work. Spock and I belong together, whether you like it or not!"

Nogura started to say something, but Spock broke in, "Furthermore, Admiral, there is no need for you to worry about two involved officers in the same chain-of-command."

Nogura glared at him. "What do you mean?"

Kirk and Spock spoke simultaneously, "We resign."

"That won't be necessary, Captain, Commander," said a new voice. The three men turned to see the UFP president walk up to them. He frowned severely at Nogura. "Admiral, I am appalled by your actions. There was no reason for you to split these two up simply because they happen to love each other."

"Mr. President, Regulation 7849 states--"

"--that any sexual relationship onboard a starship can be condoned as long as it is discreet," the Deltan finished. He intensified his glare at Nogura. "There will be a review committee investigating your actions, Admiral. I suggest that you talk to a lawyer."

Nogura paled and nodded once. The Deltan returned his attention to Kirk and Spock, still wrapped up in each other's arms. "Gentlemen, I wish you long lives and happiness together. Mr. Spock," he said, focusing on the Vulcan, "I expect you to return to the Enterprise with all due haste."

Spock nodded, feeling happiness burst into his heart. "Understood, Mr. President."

The Deltan grinned. "As long as I get to attend your Bonding ceremony."

Kirk grinned in return. "Of course you can."

The Deltan nodded and shooed everyone else away. Kirk and Spock beamed up to the Enterprise, both exhausted and both overjoyed. Later that night, while passing by Kirk's quarters, Dr. McCoy heard low moans and soft cries coming from behind the walls. He smiled and tipped his hat to them. All was right in the universe.

Many years later, when the legendary stories of the Enterprise were told, they were told with an epilogue. An epilogue of the love and friendship between a human and a Vulcan. A captain and a commander. Jim and Spock.


The End.

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Omega.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.