Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Dress Up
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,895
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
2,130

Dress Up 4: Suspicious Minds

Summary:

Alex sings the Blues (No I don’t consider this a song fic)

Work Text:

Dress Up: Suspicious Minds
By PEJA


Lexi turned heads without even trying as she paused in the entrance of the lounge to let her eyes adjust to the darkened room. As she crossed the floor, the man behind the bar whipped up a tall Sparkling Roses, grinning crookedly as he slit a lime and attached it to the rim of her glass.

She accepted the drink, sipping daintily and letting the blend of sparkling water and Lime Roses zing over her tongue.
"Perfect, Rusty," she husked, earning a blinding smile from the man.

Turning on a spiked heel she slinked across the empty dance floor, completely oblivious to the hungry stares of the patrons.

And the narrowed gazes of two very specific men who had come here looking for a very definite target.

Finding an empty booth, Lexi slid into the darkest corner and lost herself in thoughts of her dearest friend.

Blair was where she belonged. Where she wanted to be. Lexi didn't blame her for abandoning her tonight. A quiet laugh parted her painted lips. If she'd admit it to herself, in that place, she'd have made the same choice.

Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice the piano player finishing his set. When he slid into the booth next to her, a small squeak of surprise parted her painted lips.

Chase chuckled and curled an arm around her waist, tugging her close. "Sorry, angel. I didn't mean to sneak up on you."

She turned into him, a soft smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "Caught up in the stupid thoughts, darlin'." She drawled.

He captured her hand, drawing it up to kiss the lacquered fingertips. "I thought you were taking tonight off. Something about meeting a depressed friend?"

"Blair." She nodded. "She got better."

Chase laughed softly. "You take her home, sweet?"

Lexi nodded. "Far as the door. Her roommate and his boyfriend met us and took away my playtoy." She shrugged. "Probably for the best. She deserves better than a used up bitch like me." She flashed a too bright smile. "But at least I saved her from a wicked hangover."

Chase gave her a gentle squeeze. "Feeling like singing the blues, baby?"

*

"It's not him, Walt," Mulder protested in a harsh hiss. "Come on, look at that, she's the lounge singer, for Christ's sake." He added as the woman, Lexi stepped onto the raised dias that made up the stage and lowered her head, her blonde hair swinging forward to form a sheer curtain.

She lifted the mic as Chase plunked out the opening notes.

"We're caught in a trap" She sang softly, with none of the vibrancy made famous by the late king, instead the words of the song carried a haunting pain that crept over the crowd like a spectre. "I can't walk out, Because I love you too much baby."

Mulder lost the will to speak as the song continued, enthralled by the powerful emotions carried in the words of the song.

"I Fall To Pieces," Her next song floated over the crowd, "each time I see you again. I fall to pieces. How can I be just you're friend...."

"Jesus, she makes ya want to just go up and wrap your arms around her," Mulder whispered, recognizing the same look in his partner's dark gaze.

"I go out walkin after midnight," Lexi crooned, lost in the magic of the words, singing her lost love to the world, letting go of the pain that was her life "Out in the moonlight, just like we used to do..."

"Walt, that woman packs a wallop." Mulder murmured.

"That is no woman, Mulder," Skinner insisted. "It's Krycek."

"I'm hungry for love," Lexi moved into the next song, her green gaze unfocused, staring at something only she could see. "Like a hobo for food, Like the devil hunts for bad, Like the angel looks for good! I've been, oh, so lonesome...."

"Yeah?" Mulder challenged. "Well, if it is, he's developed one hell of a death wish. He'd have to want to get caught standing there every night."

"When I fall in love," Lexi's voice cracked with pain as she fell into the next ballad. "it will be forever, or I'll never fall in love...."

Chase's deep voice blended with her's and for the first time Lexi seemed to actually be aware of the room, or at least the man behind the piano as she turned to meet his gaze.

As the last notes filtered through the silent room, Chase stood and went to her, taking her hand, raising it to his lips and once more kissing her fingertips. She cupped his cheek with her other hand and her lips quivered with a defeated smile.

Together they turned to the crowd and Chase said, "Lexi, ladies and gents. Give her a hand."

The mesmerized crowd hooted, clapping and cheering as the woman retreated off the back of the dias and into a darkened hallway. Two muscle bound heavies moved discreetly to block the hall

"He's bolting." Walter said, jumping to his feet and making a dash for the front door.

Raising, Mulder tossed down some bills and raced after the older man.

Outside the club, Skinner pulled his gun, his glance darting up and down the street, then turning back to the darkened alley.

Mulder arched his brow, tilting his head toward the alley for permission before he crept into the unlit passage. Skinner followed, protecting Mulder's back.

They found the woman standing beside the back door exit, her head tilted back against the wall, her eyes closed against the anguish etched into the lines of her face. Silent tears washed her pale cheeks.

"Krycek." Skinner snarled. "Don't move. You're under arrest."

Laughing softly, Lexi opened her eyes and stared into the barrel of Skinner's gun. "I was wondering how long it would be before someone came for me."

"Krycek?" Mulder said softly. "It really is you?"

Lexi shrugged. "Lexi. I'm Lexi." A small smile ghosted her lips. "Alex Krycek died in an underground parking garage with a bullet between his eyes." The haunted green gaze darted to include Skinner. "This time, do you think you could make sure you get it right?" She pushed off the wall, standing tall. "And if you wouldn't mind, could we do it away from the club. I don't want Chase or one of the regulars to find my body."



END PART 4

(Feedback on this one guys. I need to know if anyone is at all interested in this series or if its something I write just for myself)











The songs mentioned in this bit.

Suspicious Minds

(words & music by mark James)
We're caught in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love you too much baby

Why can't you see
What you're doing to me
When you don't believe a word I say?

We can't go on together
With suspicious minds
And we can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds

So, if an old friend I know
Drops by to say hello
Would I still see suspicion in your eyes?

Here we go again
Asking where I've been
You can't see these tears are real
I'm crying

We can't go on together
With suspicious minds
And we can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds

Oh let our love survive
Or dry the tears from your eyes
Let's don't let a good thing die

When honey, you know
I've never lied to you
Mmm yeah, yeah

*

I Fall To Pieces

Patsy Cline

I Fall to pieces
each time I see you again
I fall to pieces
how can I be just you're friend

You want me to act like we´ve never kissed
you want me to forget
pretend we´ll never met
but each time I see you, than I regret
You walk bye and I fall to pieces

I fall to pieces
each time someone speaks your name
I fall to pieces
Time only edge for the blame

You want me to find someone else to love
someone to hold me true
the way you used to do.
But each time I go out with someone new
you walk bye and I fall to pieces
you walk bye and I fall to pieces

*

Walking After Midnight
Patsy Cline
(With Love)

I go out walkin after midnight,
Out in the moonlight, just like we used to do,
I'm always walkin after midnight searchin for you ~
I walk for miles along the highway,
Well, that's just my way of sayin "I love you,"
I'm always walkin after midnight searchin for you ~
I stop to see a weepin willow cryin on his pillow
Maybe he's cryin for me ~
And as the skies turn gloomy, night winds whisper to me,
I'm lonesome as I can be...
I go out walkin after midnight,
Out in the starlight, just hopin you may be
Somewhere a-walkin after midnight searchin for me.
I stop to see a weepin willow cryin on his pillow
Maybe he's cryin for me ~
And as the skies turn gloomy, night winds whisper to me,
I'm lonesome as I can be...
I go out walkin after midnight,
Out in the starlight, just hopin you may be
Somewhere a-walkin after midnight searchin for me

*

Hungry For Love
Patsy Cline
(With Love)

I'm hungry for love,
Like a hobo for food,
Like the devil hunts for bad,
Like the angel looks for good!
I've been, oh, so lonesome,
Your letters aren't enough,
My arms will welcome you home, dear,
I'm hungry for love!
I've cried so many tears, dear,
Sweetheart, since you've been gone.
I hope that you'll forgive me,
I'll admit that I was wrong!
I won't try to change you,
I miss you much too much!
Darlin, please come home!
I'm hungry for love!
I've cried so many tears, dear,
Sweetheart, since you've been gone.
I hope that you'll forgive me,
I'll admit that I was wrong!
I won't try to change you,
I miss you much too much!
Darlin, please come home!
I'm hungry for love!

*

When I Fall In Love

(Harry Conick Jr./ Celine Dion)

(Harry Conick Jr.)
When I fall in love,
it will be forever,
or I'll never fall in love.

In a restless world,
like this is
love is ended before its begun
and too many moonlight kisses
seem to cool in the warmth of the sun.


(Celine Dion)
When I give my heart
it will be completely
or I'll never give my heart (oo let me give my heart)

And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
(I feel that way too)
is when I'll fall in love
(I'll fall in love)
(both)
with you


(both)
When I fall in love,
it will be forever
or I'll never fall in love
(oo I'll never never fall in love)
in a restless world like this is
love is ended before its begun
and too many moonlight kisses
seem to cool in the warmth of the sun


(both)
When I give my heart,
it will be completely

(celine)
or I'll never give (I'll never give)
my heart (oo I'll never give my heart)
and the moment I can feel that you feel that way too
(Harry)
is when I'll fall in love
(Celine)
when I'll fall in love
(both)
when I'll fall in love with you.

Series this work belongs to: