Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2004-07-16
Words:
5,362
Chapters:
3/3
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,336

Untitled AI Fic

Summary:

Claudia Kennedy, a past friend of Judson's arrives just as the team is set to uncover the mystery of JFKs lost casket... Email me with a story title, I don't know what to call it yet.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: First Meeting

Chapter Text

Untitled Adventures Inc Fic
by Ashley
hey_sprinkles@yahoo.com

 

Chapter One: The Girl

A car door slammed outside, causing some birds to fly away. A young girl walked up as the woman on the ship looked down at her. "Hello? can I help you?"

"Yes." The girl replied, "I'm looking for Judson Cross. Is this his ship?"

The woman grinned a little at the name, as she lifted her hand for a visor from the sun. "Yes it is. Judson should be back in a minute, he went to check the tanks. Mackenzie Previn, call me Mac," the woman said as she shook hands as a young man came up. "This is Gabriel Patterson."

"Gabe," the young man grinned, his trademark smile showing through. "I'll go find Judson."

Five minutes later, a handsome blond appeared. His eyes sparkled in the bright sunlight as he removed his sunglasses. "Well, I never? Claudia Kennedy?"

"Yes, it's me." The girl replied, becoming shy as she looked down at her hands.

"It's great to see you after all these years!" Judson said as he ran down the plank to hug the young girl, sending Mac and Gabe in awe.

"How old are you now?"

"Judson, what kind of question is that? Should I be asking you the same thing?"

A semi-shocked Judson pauses then exclaimed, "Kennedy, it truly is you. Still got the spark I see. Welcome to the Vast Explorer, Adventure Inc.'s home. I'm glad you could drop by; as the invitation is, and was, always open. Have you met Mac and Gabe?"

"Yes. And Judson, just so you know, it's more than a visit. But we can talk about that later." Claudia said, and the crew invited her on board.

One hour later, finishing dinner? "Mmm, Mac, that lemon chicken was the best I've eaten in a long time. I'm so glad for one home-cooked meal! I haven't had one for a few years."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Mac said, her trademark half grin coming out. "So where was your last venue?"

"I was touring in Italy doing some promotional work for a few bands that are coming up. Organizing plans and everything, visiting with street teams." Claudia said.

"It must be fun." Gabe added, "Being out with all those celebrities. It makes me wonder why you'd come on a ship."

Claudia paused for a moment, thinking how to answer. "Yes, being out with celebrities, seeing different places in the world, and organizing all those award shows are fun." Claudia smiled. "But, there is the stressful part of it too, you have to get away for awhile, and most times you can't. You become sort of a behind-the-scenes celebrity where everyone wants you to work with them or for
them."

"So do you do anything else?" Mac asked.

"Yes. I've been in photography for awhile, creating picture books and coffee table books for different publishers like Random House and Doubleday, sometimes Scholastic. It's very fun and it has taken on a career of its own. It made me stop touring last year, because Scholastic was having me research pictures and take some for a classroom book with their history department." Claudia said, "and now it's cooled down so I thought I'd come see how Judson is doing after all these years."

"I think Kennedy," Judson interrupted, "and I have some catching up to do, so would you two do the dishes?"

"No worries," Gabe replied quickly, "we'll do it."

Judson and Claudia retire to the lounge area. "Sorry I am appearing kind of, well, out of nowhere like this, Judson."

******************
"I wonder who she is," Gabe asked, while taking dishes from the table to the kitchen. "I mean, where she met Judson. They seem kind of chummy."

"Chummy?" Mac laughed, and she turned on the water, "I'm sorry, I haven't heard that word out of you. Yes, I agree. I wonder what she's doing back; it sounded like they haven't seen each other in awhile."

"?and Mac, don't you think it's funny that her last name is Kennedy, considering what we are looking for next?"

*****************

"That's alright. Always good to see an old friend. So how have you been?"

"Touring the world. Creating stress for myself. It's becoming complicated, and its part of the reason I'm here."

"Kennedy, everything about you is complicated," Judson gave a small chuckle, "it's the way things have always been."

"Well, your right about that," Claudia said, finally curling up comfortably on a couch instead of continuing her pacing. "I'm about to turn 28, I've spent five years touring with groups to venues all over the world, and I think its time for a vacation."

"Kennedy, what is it? Something is up; you don't just come to me when it gets bad. I haven't seen you since?" Judson explained, worry marks showing up on his face.

Claudia interrupted before he said something. . . "Judson, don't worry so much. You know me to well. Yes, I quit the touring about a year ago. It was getting to be too much for me, and my photography has been taking over a lot more. The editors at Doubleday want me to do a book?on, well, you." Claudia said that last part like a whisper.

"Ugh, the press. I hated it when you became a part of them." Judson said.

"Judson Cross, the good thing is they only want a coffee table book. You've never done a book before, it might be good. Your crew is getting famous out there, people want to see you. You're like, the next Robert Ballard of the `expedition industry'. It's only some photos and captions, maybe a small story on the beginning."

"I suppose. Short and sweet, mmm?anything else?"

"Other people wanted to come out here, but an editor found out I knew you, which made them want to do it more. I made them choose me, Judson. I wanted it to be me out here on the ship, I knew you wouldn't trust just anyone," Claudia said, "?and I missed you."

"There's my girl, the softness has finally come out." Judson replied, "I missed you too."

 

Chapter Two: A Story

The two sat in silence, until interrupted by Gabe. "Judson, we're ready to pull out. Is Claudia coming with us?"

Judson looked at Claudia they both got up from their seats. "Yes, let's get her luggage first and then we'll be ready."

*****

Claudia popped the trunk and came out of the driver's side. "Well, most of it is camera equipment."

Gabe picked out the luggage carefully and took it up to the dock, handing it to Mac; "Careful, camera things."

"Judson, what room do you want her in?"
"I guess it doesn't really matter, put her in one of the guest rooms closest to us."

"Alright."

Gabe and Mac put the luggage in her room, and were met in the hallway by Judson. "Let's talk a little about why Kennedy's here, then we'll organize are plans for the Atlantic Ocean."

*****

"Kennedy is here because her Doubleday editors want to do a book on us," Judson explained, coming in to the lounge and passing around lemonades.

"Yes, what you guys do is exciting. The publishing world is abuzz and knows you are the next Robert Ballards of the day." Claudia added, "and I got chosen to come here." Giving Judson the eye as so to say `don't tell them I chose'.

Judson winked and Gabe caught it. "So what is going on with this," Gabe asked out loud. Mac glanced at him, catching his eye for the outburst. "?oh, I mean, what kind of book is it?"

"Well it's basically a coffee table type book. Lots of big pictures, small captions, and possibly a story about how you guys got started." Claudia said.

"Kennedy also knows," Judson snickered, "I hate the press."

"That's why I agreed with my editors. They found out I knew Judson and asked me if I would do it," Claudia replied. "They still don't know how much Judson hates the press."

"Well, I didn't know how much Judson hates the press," Mac said, giving a half-smile. "How much do you, pal?"

"Well, there's a little story about that. When I was first starting out, some guy had told the paparazzi I was some crazy guy who bought a boat and was going around finding things, weird and lost things. Which is sort of what I was doing, but the press made a field day with his comments and I almost lost everything. The ship, my past crew, my start-up money?" Judson said, not wanting to say `and her too.'

Claudia knew where Judson was headed, and interrupted to say, "That's where I came in. I helped get the press off his back, but in turn lost my job because they thought good ol' Judson here was going to be their falling star that they could just make fun of; they were all mad at me."

"So then Kennedy and I split apart for awhile, and then met up months later. She helped me organize Adventure Inc. and buy the boat, without even ever seeing it first! Mac, she helped me contact you by using her information government contacts. She also sent out forms to the Senators asking for help to get students for classes in biology and water sciences. I was also interested in becoming a professor back then. That is how we met, right Gabe?"

"Yes, but I didn't even know that's how it happened." Gabe replied, stunned.

Judson smiled and kept going. "I then helped Kennedy back into the world she wanted. Contacting a few major production companies, I got her an interview. The rest is sort of history."

"Yes. I've toured for five years, photographed for three."

"So when did all this happen? I mean, when did you first meet?" Mac asked.

"Eight years ago. Kennedy was fresh out of college at the age of 21, and I was 25." Judson smiled, and then frowned. "It only took a year and a half for our lives to spin out of control."

"And you haven't seen each other since?"

"Well?I suppose it's been about 6 years, maybe a little less. We also met up one time a few years ago while I was in Hawaii doing promos for the Destiny's Child concert. You guys were there trying to find the hidden cave by those volcanoes, I think." Claudia explained.

"If you don't mind my asking," Gabe said, "why did you chose this time to come back?"

"I don't mind. I suppose it was just the book deal, and seeing you guys work was just the added bonus," Claudia replied. "I suppose I could have taken a break sooner, but I didn't know quite how to approach meeting up again."

"We've been through a lot, that's for sure." Judson explained. "Okay, while, lets switch gears before we get teary eyed. We're traveling to the Atlantic Ocean because someone has hired us to find the lost casket of JFK."

"What?" all three said; surprised.

"Someone? So you don't know who?" Gabe said.

"Okay. A president's casket in the Atlantic. Why would it be there?" Mac said, baffled.

"Because a story goes that the family threw it into the ocean. It was bloody from traveling from Dallas to D.C., and they felt if kept, it would become a weird popular item for museums. It would create havoc on the era they were trying to keep magical."

"Wait a minute. Are you sure your just here for the book?" Gabe wondered. "Because you know, your last name being Kennedy and all?"

Judson interrupted, "Gabe, that's the wildest thing I've ever heard."

Claudia added, "I truly did not know about this. Although, when you think about it?.I suppose Doubleday knew what you guys were doing next, and they chose me to take pictures and?geez. Using my name for publicity, like I'm related to them or something."

"Are you sure you're not related to them?" Mac asked.

"If I was related to JFK, I would know it. He's like, my icon. My favorite President." Claudia said. "I guess I'll be calling my editors soon."

"Just don't back out and have someone else come, alright?" Judson told everyone, "Even though her last name is Kennedy, it doesn't have anything to do with this mission."

"Well, Judson, who called you then?" Gabe said, getting annoyed.

"I don't know. I'm considering its one of the family members, or I suppose it could be some rich fan who wants to know if the story is for real or not," Judson said, "lets just drop it though, alright."

*****

2 hrs later, after a late supper?.

"Judson?" she said, looking around in the cabins.

"In here." Judson replied, and smiled.

"Ugh. I'm worried now." Claudia said as she sat on the couch, leaning on Judson's shoulder.

"About what?"

"Well, this whole thing. Do you think its something from our past that has brought this mission to you?"

"What?you're not thinking it's from us searching for signs in Dallas, right?"

"I actually kind of was. We did a term paper on the assassination, remember? We went through everything, and after that, well, that's when our careers started going downhill." Claudia said. "Maybe someone's setting it all up again."

"Still on the conspiracy track?" Judson asked. "You still believe that there is some group out there."

"Yes. I do. I don't think that this is just weird that I was chosen to write a book on the company when you are about to find something about JFK's murder."

"Just forget about it, alright. Trust me." Judson said, taking her hand.

"Hey, I'll always trust you. But all of us getting hurt would not be good."

"Hey, I'm the one who promised that you wouldn't. I'm still holding on to that. Aren't you?"

"Don't bring it all up again. What's in the past is what . . ."

"Hey guys." Mac interrupted as she came down the stairs.

Awkward minutes slipped by until Gabe came down. "Sooo?.are we going out or what? We're at the point the directions said."

 

CHAPTER THREE: Dreams

A young man and woman sat down, leaning against a white picket fence and under shade from a tree about five feet away. They were both in their early twenties, in college. Seeing a president in a parade for the first time seemed very exciting to them.

As the motorcade came around the corner, the car seemed to slow down as everyone was waving. As the young couple began to wave to the limousine, the woman in the front seat told something to the young president in back, and all the sudden a shot rang out, and then another. A final shot rang just behind the young couple, the man holding the woman down, laying on the ground for cover.

Five minutes past as the crowds split apart and cops were everywhere. One came out from behind the fence and asked the young couple if they had seen anything unusual. The man said no, the young woman tearfully agreeing. Later that night they met friends in a restaurant down the block, and the same cop came to the table as they were leaving.

Asking for information and getting nothing in return, the cop got angry. A fight ensued, the young man giving the young woman a chance to run away to safety. Soon, shots rang out as the girl ran down the street. The young man then stepped of the curb into the street, and as the sun rose, his eyes sparkled and you could see his blond spiked hair, his face in a motion of hoping the girl had gotten to safety...

Judson awoke, remembering.

Mac was in the doorway. "Are you alright? You were shaking pretty bad."

"Yeah. Must be just too tired from all the diving last night."

"Alright. Well, we have breakfast ready, so come on up."

"We didn't come up with anything last night. Gabe, anything on the sonar this morning?"

"Nothing, Judson. Tiny specs though, it's a little hard to make out. It could be something, or nothing."

"We'll just have to check it out." Mac said, ready for the next dive.

"Check what out?" Claudia said, entering the kitchen.

"Spots on the sonar, we don't know what they are. Sleep well?" Judson asked.

"Contently, I didn't know sleeping on a boat was that easy. You?"

"Not that bad."

"Not that bad?" Mac said, eyes sparkling. "Judson, you were shaking and your face was all sweaty, but alright."

"Really?" Gabe replied, feeling Judson's forehead in a mother-like way. "Judson, you okay?"

"Fine. I didn't sleep the best, but it was fine."

*******************************************

"Tanks checked?"

"Checked. Ready for dive."

"Alright. Kennedy, we'll see you when we come back up. Gabe stays up on deck for sonar read, and Mac and I go down."

A splash of water, and then they are under.

"So, Claudia," Gabe said, motioning to chairs near the monitor on deck. "Have a seat."

Long seconds followed as the two watched the monitor for progress.

"Do you mind if I ask you about yourselves?"

"No, not at all. I suppose you'd want to know more about the two of us more than Judson though." Gabe replied, a little surprised at the question.

"Did Judson ever talk about me before I came?"

"Not really, I can't remember. I don't think so."

"Are Mac and Judson close?"

"Whoa?aren't we jumping ship a little early here?"

"Sorry for the question so quickly."

"That's alright. I did notice you have been looking a little worried lately."

"Yes. I am?a little."

"You shouldn't be. At least, I don't think much of it. They've always been like that since a couple months after they met I suppose. I wasn't with the team when Judson first hired Mac, but they get along."

"Flirtingly."

"Yes, but even Mac flirts with me some times." Gabe thought it over for a second, a smile coming to his cheekbones. "It's like this. Mac gives me crap and expects me to give her crap back. It's all in fun, just like it is with Judson and Mac's flirting."

"Has it ever been more than?emotional?"

"Like physical? Well, no?at least I don't think so. Never seen it, although we've joked about it. Judson just blushes."

"That's a sign."

"A sign of what?"

"That he likes her, he'll protect her."

"Right. Go to the ends of the earth for her. Well, he'd do that for me to ? and me right back to the two of them. Did he do that for you?"

"Yes, once upon a time."

"He still would, you know."

*******************

"So are you okay?"

"From earlier? Yeah, just a bad dream ? sort of."

"Glad you're alright. Can't have my hero stuck in a rut."

"Ha ha, Mac. Funny."

"Judson."

"Yeah, Mac."

"Look!"

A small wood piece, about 5 inches long, stood out in a piece of coral, waiting to be found. Many wood slivers were around this area, covering about 5 feet or more.

"Mac, I think we just got closer."

END PART 3