Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-03-12
Words:
2,241
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,183

The Magical Day Fergus Had Hair

Summary:

Permission to archive: yes
Fandom: Roar
Genre: general
Pairing/Characters: Colin/?, Fergus/?, Catlin/?
Rating: FRT-13
Summary: Our heroes come up against a leprechaun, who tricks them into the future on St. Patrick's Day.
Warnings: none
Notes: this is based on a challenge by PEJA
Acknowledgements: The following is a work of fan fiction and is not intended to infringe on copyrights held by Shaun Cassidy, Ron Koslow, Sea Change Productions, Universal Studios or any other holder of Roar copyrights. No profit is being made from this story. Thanks PEJA for `forcing' me to rewatch several eps of `Roar' for a wee bit o' research. Top o' the green to ya!
As always: Feedback craved
Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

The Magical Day Fergus Had Hair
by josh emmett

The battle had been won and the townspeople were eating, dancing, and drinking in celebration. Mostly drinking... Quietly, three people walked none to steadily into the forest, the tallest with a heavy keg under his arm. It was not yet midnight and the feasting would go on all night, but these three craved time alone. There had been a full moon earlier that week and the night was clear, bright, and cold. After a quarter mile, they came to a clearing by a lake. The moon was dancing on the surface.

"Ah, what a luvvly sight..." breathed the female.

"Indeed, it `tis," answered the younger of the two men.

And while the older man watched, still hugging his small barrel, the two ran toward the water, stripping off their clothes. They hit the icy water with a splash!

The woman let out a delighted scream and the man yelled something that could only be described as an Irish Roar!

"Sweet Bridget..." mumbled the older man, shaking his head. He knew it was no use yelling at them, as they'd be running out soon enough, so he set the keg down and gathered some wood and twigs. He reached into his leather pouch and pulled out two bits of flint. He stuck them together and a spark lit the twigs. He smiled and settled down, cross-legged, in front of the little fire.

Laughing loudly, the two younger people ran out of the water, unashamed of their nakedness and gathered up their clothes as they headed toward the fire.

"Luvvly, Fergus! Toasty and warm!" The woman shivered and started dressing quickly.

"Aye. Just what was needed." The young man echoed as he, too, dressed quickly. "Slight problem, though."

"Not enough wood..." Fergus interjected.

"Oh. Well. Aye." The young man looked at the woman and then back to Fergus. "Not what I had on me mind."

Fergus never looked up from staring into the flames: "On mine, though... And `twill warm the two of ya up. Get a move on!" He watched them scrambling around and called out: "Luv the quiet, I do. *Luv* it. Could never stay in a town fer long, too much bloody noise!"

"Day *and* night!" the two mouthed silently, as Fergus said it aloud.

*****

"'Bout midnight, I'm thinkin'." Conor said as he lay on his side with his head held up by his elbow on the ground.

"'Bout that time, I'm thinkin', too." Catlin was sitting like Fergus, also staring into the flames (much higher now with larger logs and more kindling). "And could be a bewitchin' night, as well."

"Aye. And what happened to me keg?" Fergus looked around but didn't see it. "Sweet Bridget."

As he got up to have a look around both young people laid down and closed their eyes.

*****

Fergus was mumbling and grumbling and thrashing about the makeshift campsite, but Conor and Catlin were already fast asleep. Suddenly, an idea struck him. It was something the woman had said. He stopped and took a deep breath to quiet himself down. The tall, very bald man bent over and moved very quietly, for someone his size, in ever widening circles. Then, he spotted just what he was afraid he'd been looking for.

Suddenly, he lunged like a cat with his right arm outstretched and closed his hand on the leg of a very little man gulping the contents of Fergus' keg.

"Sweet Bridget! I've caught me a ale-stealing leprechaun!"

It was too late for the little man to use his magic to get away. The love of ale had done him in. Now, what was he going to do?

"Let go me leg!" He shouted.

"Never!"

"Let go, I'm tellin' ye! Ya bloody great bald giant!"

"Not on yer life!"

The little fellow sized up his situation and looked at Fergus. "Ain't got no pot o' gold."

"And *I'm* the leprechaun..." Fergus said with great sarcasm, staring right back at him.

"'Tis true!" the leprechaun replied with an air of disgust that he wasn't believed immediately (even though leprechauns were known for lying).

"Humph! Hand it over ya little liar! And the rest of me ale, as well!"

The little man rolled his eyes upward and a thought struck him. "'Tis a magical day, this is."

"'Tis still night."

"Well, aye, but soon gone past midnight, makin' it a new day."

Fergus shook his head and stood up, still holding onto the leprechaun's leg. He picked up the keg with his other hand and headed back to the fire. The little man had to hang on to his topper as he was dangling upside down, sputtering indignant curses.

Reaching the campsite, Fergus put the keg down and reached into his leather pouch producing some rope. He crouched down and lay the leprechaun on his back. He quickly tied one end around the little man's leg and the other end around his own ankle.

"There!" Fergus said as he sat the little man up and sat down himself. The other two slept on. He poured some ale into a cup for himself and into a bit of curved bark for the leprechaun. And the two of them drank and stared at each other.

Finally, the little man sighed and said: `All right, then. No pot `o gold, as I told ya. But I do have the gift of magic."

"Gift of blarney, more like."

"No,'tis true. And I'll be showin' ye about now, ye sally man!"

The moon was at its zenith. Midnight for sure. And Fergus began to feel strange. Very strange indeed. Then, he passed out.

*****

Colin opened his mouth in a big yawn and tried to stretch out. When his hand smacked into a large wooden object behind his head, he opened one eye. He quickly determined that he was a sort of bed, in a small room with rose and white striped walls and terrible noise of people outside. He quickly sat up and knew the better of it too late, as the room began to spin. He'd be hung over before, but there was something else causing this. For a fleet second, he thought he saw the forest and then it disappeared completely. He opened both his eyes and yelled: "FERGUS!"

"Sweet Bridget, man! No need to roar!"

Colin watched, as a small hand grabbed the slab of wood at the foot of the bed, and a little man pulled himself up to look at him.

"What be ye wantin'?

"Fergus?" Colin asked in a small voice, making a terrible face.

"Who else? Catlin?"

"Ah, Fergus... Ya're very short and ya've got *hair*! And," looking around the room, "I've *no* idea where we are, but I'm bettin' it ain't Eire."

 

TBC