Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-09-13
Words:
27,327
Chapters:
15/15
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
5,118

Born of Fire

Summary:

Permission to archive:to WWOMB
Fandom(s):X-Files
Genre (general, hetero or slash) hetero
Pairing/Characters: Skinner/Original
Rating:FRT-for this part
Summary:Skinner is sent on vacation but a fire in a store makes it anything but!
Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

Born of Fire
by Mummiehelen

Skinner woke and stretched his long frame. The fresh country air filled his lungs while thoughts of refurbishing the cabin he'd bought over a decade ago filled his mind with anticipation.

'Funny how things work out.' was a thought that would recur many times in the coming weeks.

It had started at his annual review. This year it was done by the new deputy director. In the past, the fact that he rarely took the time he earned was overlooked but, not this time. It was pointed out that if he didn't take it, he's lose it and it was *strongly* recommended he take it.

"You get time off for a reason Walter. The body and mind need regular breaks." he was reminded. "You've built up so much we can't give it to you all at once but, I'd like you to take six weeks."

"Six weeks!"

"Yes, I know this last case from the X-Files department took a lot out of you.It's Friday, 1325 hours." Kersch said, using military time as he consulted his watch. "I want you to close out whatever you have to and be out of here by 1400 hours. Is that clear?"

"Yes Sir."

So here he was in the Virginia countryside. He got up, dressed in attire that was completely at odds with the image he presented to the bureau, faded jeans, work boots and plaid shirt. He wore contacts instead of his glasses and left his watch on the nightstand. Time lay before him like an endless road, here he didn't need to measure it. He'd arrived late last night, unpacked two suitcases, took a long hot shower and went to bed. Now he got behind the wheel of his SUV and headed for the little town right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. When he first came here to see the real estate listing, the burg was little more than a widening of the road. Since then, it had built up considerably, it even had one of those superstores where one could buy just about anything, from non-perishibles to clothes to hardware and building materials. That was his destination after he had breakfast. The little diner where he had closed the deal on his cabin with the real estate agent was still there and still served delicious food in generous portions. The waitress, whose name tag read "Betty" smiled each time she refilled his coffee mug. She loved seeing this big man eat the hearty meal prepared by her husband, the cook and owner of the establishment.Finally, he held his hand over the mug when she went to fill it.

"I've had enough to hold me for quite a while." he said, favoring her with a smile that would've shocked the employees of the J. Edgar Hoover Building. He drove the short distance to the superstore parking lot and went in.

Large overhead signs indicated the departments. He looked until he found "Building Materials" and headed in that direction, grabbed a cart and began filling it with the miscellaneous items on his list. Once they were all checked off, Skinner decided to take a look around and see what else they had. He was casually going up and down each aisle when he heard a loud pop.

Seconds later,smoke began billowing from the back of the store. There was screaming, yelling and genreral confusion as customers stampeded toward the exits. Skinner abandoned his cart and instead of following the egress,ran to the source to see if there was anyone who hadn't gotten out. An old man was coughing and wheezing while his wife tried to pull him toward the front. He grabbed the couple and brought them to the door. He fought his way through what was fast becoming a panicked mob cause he heard a baby crying. He found the infant in his mother's arms. She was frozen to her spot, paralyzed with fear. He took the child and wrapped an arm around the woman practically dragging her out. He went back for the third time
cause he thought he saw a figure on the floor in one of the aisles. He found her in Art Supplies but when he tried to help her up, he slipped and toppled, almost landing on her. It took several tries to get upright because there was something slick on the floor but once he regained his footing, he could pick her up and carry her out. He was coughing and his eyes stung but because of the adrenaline rush of the situation, he didn't notice his own injuries till paramedics brought him to an ambulance and did a cursory check. Then he was strapped, under protest, onto a stretcher and taken to the nearest hospital.

He had first and second degree burns on his face, head and hands and suffered from smoke inhalation but the worst of it was the fact that his contacts had literally melted on his eye requiring ophthalmic surgery.

Fox Mulder was listed as his emergency contact. Dana Scully, his physician. They arrived as Skinner was being prepped for the operation.Scully scrubbed and changed into greens to observe the procedure. While Mulder waited, he read the police report. Skinner had been near the front of the store when the fire broke out. He saved five people, an elderly couple, a mother and her baby and a woman who'd fallen on the floor.

~*~

Cara Jensen was treated in the ER and released but she wanted to thank the man who had carried her from the store.

"Is he still here?" she asked an irriated nurse.

"I don't know. What's his name?"

"We didn't exactly have time for introductions." Cara said. "But he was the one that helped everyone get out, or so I'm told."

Just then, the senior resident approached.

"I'll take care of this. Thank you Marla." he said, dismissing the nurse.

"He's in surgery right now. I can't give out his name but you could check room 303, bed 2 and find out for yourself. I'm sure he'll be our guest a while." he said with a hint of a wink.

"Thank you doctor. I appreciate it." she said, smiling broadly.

She had a bump on the head, scraped knees from where she fell and mild smoke inhalation. But even given all that,she felt pretty good. She had come to the town she nicknamed Sleepy Hollow because it's where her parents lived in a retirement community. She brought them groceries as they seemed to forget a little more about day to day living with each visit. Moments of lucidity, fewer and fewer. They still functioned within the confines of their cottage though, her mother cooked but Cara wondered if she realized where the food she made their meals with came from. She had been on her way back to Newport-News when she decided to stop at the Big Town Mart and buy art supplies for a project she had planned for her third grade class. The prices were so much better here. Oh well, so much for economy!

Since it was Saturday, she decided to get a motel room and come back in the morning to see her mystery savior.

~*~

Mulder marveled at how little he knew about his boss but, his bravery was one facet he did know. He'd seen samples of it all throughout their association. Now he lay on an operating table, undergoing delicate surgery because he didn't just walk out of the store when he could.

Scully watched Dr. Stein with intense concentration. He was known as one of the best ophthalmic surgeons in the state. She hoped and (and prayed ) it wasn't just a rumor. One false move and Skinner could be blinded.She still had mixed feelings about him after she thought he was sent to kill her. He'd proved he wasn't but there was just something about him that she couldn't completely trust. Perhaps it was just the fact he was such a private person that made her think he had something to hide.

The minutes had stretched into hours before the procedure came to an end.

~*~

Cara dressed in the same thing she had worn the day before. She tried to make it more presentable by pressing it and it *did* look better. She wished she had access to more shopping, then she could have just bought a new outfit.

'Oh well, this will just have to do.' she lamented as she got behind the wheel and drove to the hospital. She pulled into the visitor's lot and headed for the elevators. She got off at the third floor and found his room right away. She peaked in and found a small red haired woman bent over him which made her feel an unexplained ache inside.' Of course, he'd have someone in his life.' She hadn't had a good look at him but what she saw was quite nice. Still, she came here to thank him and she should but she didn't want to disturb the scene she witnessed. So she decided to wait an hour and try again then went down to the cafeteria to pass the time.

Scully had to lean over him to try and get his pulse at the jugular. His hands were bandaged past his wrists so they couldn't use a finger monitor. His entire head was also, from both the burns and now, the surgery. Dr. Stein came in then and told her doctor or not, she'd have to leave. Mr. Skinner needed his rest. She left to go find Mulder. When she did, he decided she needed some caffiene and took her to the cafeteria. Cara looked up from the Sunday paper as the pair walked in. She got up, tossed her cup in the trash as she passed them and headed for the elevators. She slipped into the room, empty now except for its only occupant. She looked at his chart.

"Walter S. Skinner." she whispered.

Cara stepped to the head of the bed.

"Mr. Skinner, are you awake?" she said softly.

A groan emitted from under the yards of gauze.

"I'm sorry if I've disturbed you. My name is Cara Jensen. I was the one on the floor in the Big Town Mart."

He raised his right hand slightly. She came around and took his arm above the bandage.

He choked out: "How do you do?" or something close to it.

"I'm fine. My injuries were pretty minor. I came to thank you and now that I have, I think I should let you rest." she said, reluctantly letting go of the muscular forearm.

"No." he said with surprising force.

"Yes." Dr. Stein said from the door.

"Wait." Skinner said. "Doctor, how long will I be here?" he said with some effort.

"A week at least." he replied.

"Will you come back?" he asked Cara.

"Yes." she said, surprised to hear the word pop out of her mouth.

After she left, he forbade any more visitors that day, including Mulder and Scully.

Walter lay in the quiet room letting the drugs do their work. He'd only caught a quick glimpse yesterday but it was enough for him to want to see more. And her scent was the same one that had wafted up to him while he carried her out. He drifted off to sleep with the memory of her teasing his senses.


End of Part One