Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
227
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,295

Always a Bridesmaid Never a Groom

Summary:

Pairing: Denny/Alan
Rating: FRC
Summary: Alan helps Denny prepare for the wedding. (Second season spoilers)
Notes: Angst
Title courtesy of Lesbian funnywoman Robin Tyler's first album
Submitted through the Boston_Legal_Slash mailing list.

Work Text:

Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Groom
by MJ

Strong hands reached around Denny Crane from behind as Alan Shore peered over Denny's shoulder and into the mirror. Alan watched his hands go through the procedure of knotting Denny's bow tie. He wasn't about to look up at Denny's face above the tie and starched collar; that was too much.

"Giving away the groom," Alan thought as he lowered his arms from the first - and, all things considered, most likely only - experience of having Denny Crane in his arms. It wasn't likely that Bev, Denny's new wife, would be willing to share, after all.

Denny had pledged, one night on the office balcony, as they drank together, that marriage would change nothing between them. Alan had known that wasn't true. Denny hadn't been lying; he simply hadn't been realistic. A wife meant demands, expectations, and fewer lingering evening meetings on the balcony for the cherished ritual of cigars and drinks. That small amount of intimacy with Denny was Alan's most cherished time of each day.

Alan stepped back appraisingly and reviewed Denny's clothing, Alan's own being impeccable and therefore a shield for him, and steeled himself for his role as best man to the man he loved.

end