Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
723
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
876

Late Nights in Westchester

Summary:

DISTRIBUTION: Sure, just drop me a line and let me know where it's going.
RATING/CONTENT: PG, Logan/Jean, movie continuity
SUMMARY: Late night lab work leads to a talk between Logan and Jean.
DISCLAIMER: The characters in this piece of fiction are not mine. If they were, well, let's just say I'd probably never leave the house again. Marvel owns them; I'm just playing.
FEEDBACK: Appreciated, and killed for as well.
Submitted through the X-MenFic mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Late Nights in Westchester
by Samantha McCullah

"You're worryin' about something, Jeannie," a gruff voice commented, sounding too loud in the peaceful silence of the lab, causing Jean to start nearly spilling her cup of coffee across the various x-rays spread across the table. An instinctual burst of telekinesis was the only thing that saved the documents.

"Logan!" she exclaimed, swallowing heavily as she mentally righted the coffee cup and began straightening the table. "We, uh, didn't expect you back so soon." He stepped into the lab, boot heels clicking on the tile floor.

"The base was deserted, smelled salt in the earth," he stated, shrugging as he came to a stop in front of her small table.

"They salted the earth?" she asked, her voice soft as she mulled over that knowledge. "Why salt the earth?"

"So nothin' would grow," Logan stated. Jean looked up in surprise. "Rome did it t'Carthage," he chuckled. "Surprised, Jeannie? A knowledge of history not in the profile of the wild animal your little group jus' assumed?" He smirked, leaning forward and placing his hands on the table. "I went t'school." He narrowed his eyes. "I think I did."

"It's not that, Logan," she appeased, sliding her chair back and rising to her feet. She turned away from him and busied herself cleaning up the rest of the lab. "I just--"

"You're afraid," he stated, still leaning on the table, looking up at her through dark lashes.

"What?" she asked half-distracted.

"You're terrified," he replied, rising from his position and stalking towards her. He stopped mere inches from her, but she screwed her eyes tightly shut and refused to turn around.

"I saw what happened to you, what they did to you. I felt it...in my head." She sighed, leaning forward against the nearest wall. "If you could remember it, wouldn't you be afraid?" she whispered.

"Good enough reason," Logan stated, stepping back from her. "Pity it's a lie." Jean whirled around at that, her green eyes flashing in anger. Logan snorted in laughter. "What ya saw in my head, Jeannie, didn't bother ya then, why is it now?" She opened her mouth to reply, but he didn't give her the chance. "I bother ya." He cocked his head, his eyes studying her. "Not what ya see in my head, but what I make ya feel."

"You're insane. More so than Scott thought," she said, trying to push past him. She didn't get far, as Logan's hand lashed out, clamping onto her wrist. Her skin prickled at his touch, and her breath came out in shallow gasps.

"Jeannie--" he began.

"Don't," she stated forcefully, pulling her wrist out of his grasp. "Do not call me that." She swallowed heavily, half-thankful to be out of his grasp, half-wishing she wasn't. "Only Scott calls me that."

"What do ya see in him?" Logan wondered aloud.

"Do you honestly want an answer?" Jean stated, and when he didn't respond, she took that as affirmation. "He's smart, dependable, brave, gorgeous, and most importantly," she glanced up, her green eyes meeting his hazel ones. "Not you." Logan chuckled at that and took a step forward.

"True, I'm nothin' like the One-Eyed Wonder," he whispered, stepping up to her, leaving only an inch of air between them. He leaned forward, his mouth next to her ear. "An' maybe, just maybe, that's what ya like 'bout me." She was silent for several seconds, studying his face, guiltily enjoying the heat from his body.

"I doubt it," she whispered with a small grin, pulling away from him. She walked over to the door to the lab and pressed the button to open it. "If you'll excuse me, I've got work to do." He smiled slightly and headed for the door. "And Logan?" Jean asked, before he could exit. "You did bring Scott's bike back in one piece?"

"'Course," he grinned. "Wouldn't dream of hurtin' anything that's his." She nodded in return as he headed out of the door. As she listened to the sound of his boot heels clicking down the metal hallway, she sighed.

"Too late." With that, she hit the button, closing the door, and headed back to her research.

*FIN*

I'm still a little shaky on movie characterization, so if the characters seem a little off, I apologize.

Feedback is appreciared!

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Samantha McCullah.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.