Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,856
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,114

The Fates Are Aganst Me

Summary:

Greg tries to woo Nick - but things aren't working out for him

Disclaimers and Beta list can be found on my author's info page.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

~*~

I've worked with him for over eight years. Eight long years. It was his accent that reeled me in, the soft drawl that just melts your bones. He's lost some of the accent over the year; it’s not as prominent as it was when he first arrived in Vegas. Now it only pops up when he's tired, angry, or drunk. Though a drunken Nick Stokes is a rarity I've only seen it twice in all of those eight years. Warrick tells me he' seen it five times and that’s because they are best buds.

I had always had a crush on him. Who didn't? Hell I think even Gil Grissom got caught up in his charm. But for years that’s all it was, a crush. I would flirt and, amazingly, he flirted back. We had fun teasing each other, playing guess the element, talking about his or even my latest conquests. It was a good solid relationship.

It changed a bit when I moved out of the lab to the field. He couldn't joke or tease as much since now he was training me. The dynamics of the relationship changed, but not necessarily in a bad way. We just had to figure out where things were now.

Then Eckley stepped in and split the team up, damn him. I barely got to see him and when I did it was in passing. Our relationship suffered. Over time we didn't know how to respond to each other, it was like meeting a friend from high school after ten years and not having a clue what to talk about.

I had began to wonder about my own emotions towards him. I knew I still had a small crush, like I said earlier who didn't. He's beautiful on the outside and the inside matches. His warm smile can brighten someone's day. He always held a sort of innocence. In spite of being held at gunpoint, tossed out a window, and stalked.

Then it all changed again. I'll never forget the moment I heard. Nick had been taken from a crime scene. My world stopped. I can barely remember those twenty-four hours. My focus was to find him. Bring him home. And as I watched the ambulance leave carrying its precious package to the hospital, I heard Grissom tell Eckley he wanted his guys back. I just wanted mine back.

While Nick recovered I did some serious soul searching. That crush wasn't really a crush, but true deep feelings. Nick was my best friend. Just being there made my day better. Being removed from him had disrupted my own patterns and thinking. I realized I needed him. And I was going to tell him.

~*~

"Nick…" I called after him as he headed down the hallway.

"Hey Greg." He waited till I caught up. "Something you need?"

"Yeah I was wondering…" I paused quickly looking around realizing it probably wasn’t the best spot to declare my undying love. "Breakfast? It's been ages since you treated your favorite CSI level one."

Nick grinned. "Oh really. Sounds good. Millie's after work?"

YES! "Perfect… Millie's has great to die for coffee…"

"Greg, let’s go, my crime scene is getting cold," Sara yelled down the hall.

"Better get going, she gets possessive about her scenes," Nick smirked and walked off.

I couldn't keep the grin off my face. I had a plan. I had an opportunity. All I had to do was pull it off. No problem.

~*~

I stared at Catherine like she was an alien. "Hey Greg, come sit by me." She patted the seat.

I wasn't a happy wooing CSI. "Cath, what brings a fine young lady like yourself to this dive?"

"He's good," Cath smiled at Nick. "Nick said he was taking you to breakfast and it's been forever since the group got together and well…"

"Presto group breakfast," Warrick answered sliding in next to Nick. "It's been a while Greg, how you doing?"

"Good," I answered a bit upset that my well thought out breakfast plans had been thwarted. "How's Tina?"

"Good," Warrick smiled brightly.

I hated to admit it, but marriage did him some good. I looked over to see Nick with a small, sad smile on his face. I frowned did he have the hots for Warrick? This wasn't good. I can't compete with unrequited love.

I watched as Nick shook his head, “Then my friend what are you doing with us losers when you’ve got her at home?” he laughed, patting Warrick on the shoulder.

“Her shift is over in an hour,” Warrick smirked back at him. “Just making sure I’ve got the energy.”

Catherine rolled her eyes. “Please.”

Nick laughed. His laugh is beautiful or at least I think so. My heart about stopped when he turned and smiled at me. I had to think of a new plan.

~*~

My new plan was fail safe. I grinned as I knocked on Nick’s door. I knew he was up I had called earlier pretending to be a wrong number. I tried not to bounce on the balls of my feet, trying to mask my excitement.

“Greg?” Nick looked at me confused.

“Surprise!” I held up the video game. “I figured it was time I reminded you who the video champ of the lab was.” I strolled into the house before he could say no.

“Who was the champ?” Nick looked at me. “I think you’re mistaken, Greggo.”

Greggo I haven’t heard that in a while. “We shall see who the true gamer is.” I grinned as I made my way over to the TV. “No chips? Dip? This is the way you treat your guests?” I pouted, no can resist the pout.

Nick shook his head, turning to head into the kitchen. “Most guests get invited.”

“I was invited,” I yelled back as I hooked up the controllers. “You just forgot you invited me.”

I could hear his laughter from the kitchen. Everything was working according to plan. He brought out drinks and some food and took a seat next to me on the floor. I pushed against him lightly teasing him as I handed him the controller. “You’re going down.”

He eyed me then smiled. “In your dreams.”

We both got into the game, trying to out do one another on each level. I hated to admit it, but he was beating me, pretty spectacularly if I might add. I let my leg rest against his, encouraged that he hadn’t pulled away. He looked at me and I smiled at him. He smiled back then turned back to the screen. If I hadn’t been watching I wouldn’t have seen the sudden blood drain from his face. I looked at the TV. The next level was the character having to get out of a locked room that was buried underground. Shit!

I turned towards Nick. “Nick?”

Nick dropped the controller, his hands shaking. I reached out to touch him, but he jerked away. I could see him shaking with barely suppressed emotions. He got up and moved towards his bedroom. He paused and looked at me. “I’m sorry… but I… things I need to get…”

I knew he didn’t want attention brought to his reaction to the game. “No problem. I should go home and try to look presentable for work.”

Nick smiled, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “That might take a few hours at least.”

“See you later, Nicky,” I smiled at him.

He turned and looked at me then smiled back. “I’m glad you came over, Greggo. I missed this.”

“Me too.” I waved as I let myself out the door. Not quite what I had planned, but it had worked out just as well.

~*~

My third plan was foolproof. At least that’s what I kept telling myself. It had to work, no distractions from co-workers, no flashbacks to traumatic moments, just me, him and some Big & Rich.

I slid the tickets into his line of site very casually. He looked away from the microscope and down at the tickets. I grinned at his shocked look. "You're driving, man," he said before going back to processing the evidence.

I grabbed the tickets, stuck them in my pocket and whistled as I left the layout room. I had a date.

~*~

Okay, is fate against me? I must know. The concert was going well. Nick was really relaxed and enjoying himself and I had to admit that the music wasn't too bad. I kind of liked them.

The band had taken a break and we were cooling offoutside. He looked beautiful in the moonlight. He was leaning against the wall, eyes closed completely relaxed. I found myself reaching out to caress his face, wondering if it was as soft as it looked. Just as my fingers grazed over his cheek, gunshots rang out.

Nick grabbed me and hit the ground. Now, I know I wanted to know what it felt like to have his body pressed against mine, but not this way. A few moments later he got up and helped me to my feet. It wasn't soon afterwards that our pagers went off. I curse the fates.

~*~

I dragged myself home. I was tired, exhausted, did I mention tired? It’s times like this I remember the benefits of being a lab geek, no triple shifts. In the end though, we caught the shooter, some gang banger who killed a young couple for initiation.

I only had energy to set the coffee pot, alarm clock, and maybe slip my shoes off before falling into bed. The knock on the door startled me. I glanced at the wall clock then back at the door then back at the wall clock. Gave up trying to figure what time it was and went to the door.

I was a bit surprised to see Nick on the other side. "Nick?"

I was even more surprised when he pushed me into the house, closed the door, and kissed me. It was the sweetest kiss I had ever had. He pulled back and smiled at me. "I like you, too."

"How?" I asked.

He gave me that soft grin that makes my toes melt. "Breakfast, a game that you knew I could win, and tickets to a country and western band… I read between the lines."

"Damn." I leaned against him. "I'm oto tired to seduce you into bed."

"How about this?" He pulled me towards my bedroom. "You and I can get some sleep and when we wake up, you can seduce me then."

"I like," I grinned as I stripped out of my clothes and crawled into my warm comfy oh so inviting bed. Though I admit it would be more inviting with Nick in it.

I watched as he stripped down his t-shirt and boxers and slipped into my bed. I curled up next to him, yawning as I laid my head on his chest. "I love you."

"I love you, too. Now get some sleep, you’ve got some seducing to do later." He kissed the top of my head. I fell asleep warm, content, and happy.

~ The End ~

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Bj Jones.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.