Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-03-23
Words:
11,141
Chapters:
17/17
Kudos:
46
Hits:
7,732

Accident

Summary:

Rating: PG
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Fandom: Emergency
Summary: An accidental injury at the station causes Cap to reevaluate his style of command.
Content Warning: Some harsh language. Angst.
Copyright: January 2002 By Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.
Submitted through the Makebelieve_YG mailing list.

Chapter 1: Page 1

Chapter Text

Accident
by Robin R. Neher

Bang!

Johnny Gage stepped back as Roy went to the floor, blood was spilling everywhere as Captain Hank Stanley ran to the station's base radio.

"LA, Station 51. We have a code I at the station! Respond an ambulance!" Cap yelled into the mic.

10-4, station 51. Time: 11:27. Sam responded as Paramedic John Gage stood frozen, trying to comprehend what he had just done.

"Don't just stand there, Gage! Get your equipment!" Cap ordered.

Johnny just shook his dark head as tears filled his eyes.

"I killed him." Johnny sobbed in strangled gasps. "I killed my partner."

"Gage!" Cap yelled. running over to the young man and grabbing his shoulders. "Roy is not dead! Hear me? Roy is not dead! C'mon, John, you're a Paramedic! Roy needs you! Gage!"

Johnny did not and could not hear Hank's words. He was lost in the guilt he felt.

"Kelly, grab the equipment from the squad!" Hank instructed Chet Kelly. "Backboard, drug box and Biophone! Lopez, get outside and wait for the ambulance! Stoker, take Gage into the office!"

John barely felt the quiet Engineer lead him away. He'd never forgive himself, for in his zeal to drive the squad, in the struggle to open the driver's door, Roy got smacked in the forehead by the rear view mirror.

As Mike guided Johnny toward the Captain's office, they passed by the bloody mirror, which now lay on the floor next to a bleeding and unconscious Roy. That sight was slowly etching itself into the memory of one John Roderick Gage. Once in the office, Johnny lost control of his stomach and vomited all over himself and the floor.

Mike went and got Johnny a clean uniform from his locker, then took him to the latrine.

"I don't wanna see you out here til you pull yourself together!" Mike ordered, then went to clean up the mess in Cap's office.

******************

A few minutes later, Roy was packaged up for the ride to Rampart Hospital and loaded into the ambulance.

"Gage!" Cap called.

A cleaned-up, but pale Johnny emerged from the latrine.

"We've got a replacement on the way, Pal." Cap informed the young man. "Johnny, don't you go blaming yourself for this, hear me?"

"Cap. it's my fault." Johnny insisted. "Roy's hurt cause of me."

"Dammit, John, look at me!" Hank yelled, shaking the young medic by the shoulders. "What happened was an accident! A simple, stupid, accident!"

Johnny just looked at his Captain.

"I'll never forgive myself." Johnny mumbled, wondering into the dorm. "It's my fault. My fault."

Hank sighed as his Engineer joined him in the office.

"Cap, should we call in a replacement for John?" A worried Mike asked.

"Mike, that accident was my fault." Cap told him. "I should've seen how stingy Roy was being with the squad. I should've stood up to DeSoto."

"Cap, we're just wasting energy and time placing blame. Johnny's the one that's hurting most right now." Mike reminded Hank. "The best thing for John right now is to remain on duty."

"Mike, you saw the state Gage is in!" Hank countered.

"Would you rather have him sitting at home, feeling sorry for himself? Here, we can keep an eye on him." Mike pointed out.

 

TBC............