Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-02-14
Words:
4,682
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,802

Harry's Revenge

Summary:

Harry is offered an assistant teacher position and finds out that Snape breaks all rules set down. Will be submitted to the Makebelieve_YG group.

Chapter 1: Part 1

Chapter Text

Harry's Revenge

Part 1



Harry was sitting in his bedroom at 4 Privet Drive, wading through a large pile of parchments. His Head of House, Minerva McGonagall had visited him yesterday unannounced and offered him a job. After seeing the results of the DADA results, the teachers had held a conference and decided to make the DA an official club and they needed a teacher.

Surprisingly the choice fell on him and thus he was offered to start as an assistant teacher. He would hold council with the DADA teacher and lead the DA. Unfortunately that also meant that he would have to have the responsibilities of a teacher. He had been instructed to hand in a lesson plan when he arrived at Hogwarts and he had to read the school rules, the teacher's edition. It mainly went on about awarding and deducting points as well as handing out detentions. With a sigh he turned switched to the next parchment of the rules, wondering who had decided that Rules had to sound so boring. At least now he had reached the most important part - "How to treat the students and behave in class"�.

When he read the list he sat up. He turned around and pulled a fresh parchment out of his trunk along with a quill and ink. Without a second thought he started writing down the list. The time has come to take his revenge on Severus Snape.

1) Be fair and just in grading.
2) Don't insult students.
3) Treat all students equally.
4) Don't single a student out.
5) Answer questions relating the subject, when asked.
6) Help students who are in need so they don't fall behind.
7) Be patient with students having trouble.
8) Keep the class in order.
9) Keep students safe during lesson.
10) Punish behaviour that is potentially dangerous to individual students or the class.

Now that he had outlined everything he started writing out comments. He couldn't really comment about Snape's grading of his essays as he never talked about them once they got them back. However he could comment on the Potions he brewed.

1) - destroyed Potion in front of class and gave zero points on class work without a reason
2) - insults intelligence, family and person of students
- degrades Neville Longbottom
3) - Partial to Slytherin House

- Points are given only to Slytherin
- No Points taken from Slytherin
4) - Singles out Harry Potter for being famous

- Singles out Neville Longbottom
5) - Students are generally too afraid to ask anything
- Students asking a question are ridiculed
6) - Students showing lack of understanding are belittled in front of the whole class
7) - Students have to know everything on the first try, no second attempts given
-
No tutoring offered or arranged
8) - Slytherin students have free run over class
- Slytherin students aren't punished for throwing ingredients in other students' cauldrons
- Does not attempt to correct a faulty potion even when he knows it's going to explode
10) - see 8)


Giving the list a last check he nodded to himself and put it aside. He would have to contact his teacher again. He was only glad that she had told him to write her, should he have any problems understanding what he is supposed to do.

He got another blank piece of parchment and started to compose the letter.

Dear Professor McGonagall,
While going over the section "How to treat the students and behave in class"� I realised that Professor Snape broke several of them. I would like to present the notes I took in regard to breaking them and what to do about it. I also would like to have an example lesson plan so that I know what is expected of me and whether there is a specific style expected or not. Regards, Harry Potter


Satisfied with the letter, Harry went over to his owl and let her out of her cage. Holding the letter up, he said, "This is for Professor McGonagall. Feel free to go hunting on your way back."

Hedwig nodded and stuck out her left leg for letter. Once it was secure, she flew to Harry's shoulder and softly nipped his ear in thanks, before flying out of the window. Harry watched her until he couldn't see her anymore, before returning to his desk. He put his list aside and continued reading the rules. He had to read them after all and it was far better than sitting over his letters to Ron and Hermione, not knowing how to tell them that he was going to be an assistant teacher. He knew that Ron wouldn't be pleased and Hermione would be jealous, but he couldn't leave that off until it was announced at the Welcoming Fest.


Three hours later, the doorbell rang. For a second he wondered whether it could be his Head of House already. It was possible if she had been at the Order Headquarters in London.


His suspicions were proven correct when, like when the older witch had come over the first time a few days ago, his aunt screamed after opening the door.


Harry stood up and left his room. Stopping at the top of the stairs he could see his teacher standing in the door with a pleased smile. Apparently she didn't like her aunt any more than he did.


"Professor, if you would come up. We can talk in my room,"� said Harry, effectively startling his aunt. His Transfigurations teacher merely nodded before coming up the stairs. As soon as they entered the room, he offered her his chair, while going over to his bed and picking up his list.


"I wrote down the rules in short and wrote down things I noticed in the Slytherin/Gryffindor class. I obviously can't say how he treats the Ravenclaws and the Hufflepuffs,"� explained Harry.

The witch nodded and took the piece of parchment, slowly reading through it. After a while she nodded, "I suspected a few of them being broken, but not quite so many. Sadly, as long as there is no student complaining I can't do anything about it. However, this might just help improve the problem. I will bring this to the attention of the Headmaster in a meeting with the other Head of Houses. He can't possibly go against all three of us. Do you have proof of the events you mentioned?"�

"If they accept memories then I have a lot of proof. I could take any potion lesson I ever attended," answered Harry.

McGonagall nodded, "Can I take it that the students you referred to in point one and two, is in fact one student, namely you?"

"Mostly, however, he also insults Neville's family. He wonders, out loud so that the whole class can hear, what his parents would think about him being a failure. In my year and class it is mostly Neville and me, Ron and Hermione are somewhere in the middle as they are my friends. He ridicules Neville because most of his potions explode. I watched Neville in a few classes; he's so scared of Sn-Professor Snape that his hands are shaking terribly. It's no wonder that they explode. First year, Neville was scared that he wouldn't meet his grandmother's expectations and over the year it got better in most classes, but he fears Professor Snape. I'm sure you heard about his Boggart in third year,"� explained Harry.

Once again the older witch nodded, "Yes, I heard about that. I tell you, Remus was saddened about it. Who fears his teacher? It is understandable to fear a class, but a teacher? Mind if I take the list with me?"

"Not in the least. If it goes missing, I can always create another one. And I could always show the rules to Ron and Hermione and at least one of them would complain loud enough for the whole Common Room to hear. I'm sure we'd end up with an impressive list,"� said Harry.

Folding the list, McGonagall pulled another one out of her pocket, "These are schedules handed in by previous DADA teachers. You can use them as a guideline. I'm aware that the DA isn't divided into years, but you might consider doing two or three different age groups, especially after the initial meetings when the skills start to differ."

"Would you mind if I would say that the first three years are one group and the other four years are divided by ability? Those that weren't in the DA last year would have a lot of catching up to do otherwise,"� asked Harry.

McGonagall smiled again, "That is entirely up to you. You will be the teacher. However, I would say that this is a good idea."

"Do you know who's going to be the DADA teacher this year? Just so I know whether there are chances of it being a good or bad teacher,"� asked Harry.

Standing up, McGonagall said, "Professor Dumbledore is trying to convince either Remus or Moody to teach without luck so far. I have to go back. The Order is meeting shortly."

"I understand. Thanks for your help. If it helps, you could tell them that I would love to have competent teacher again. I mean what did we have so far? Two Teachers who wanted to kill me, Lockhart doesn't bear words and Umbridge who expected us to be able to cast the spell on the first time during exams. The only decent one was Remus and I'm sure we could learn quite a lot from Moody and this time it would be the right one and I won't have to fear for my life,"� said Harry.

McGonagall laughed at that, "I'll make sure to mention it in their presence."

"If you want, I can bring you to the door,"� said Harry. Together they went back downstairs and not much later his teacher was gone again.

Harry went to the kitchen were his aunt was preparing Lunch. Staying in the door, he announced, "My teacher is gone again, just so you know."

He didn't wait for an answer and went back upstairs and to reading the rules.

 

When the Order meeting closed several hours after it started, Minerva stood up and said, "Pomona, Filius, Severus, if you could stay behind. There is a school matter we have to discuss. Albus, if you would remain as well."

"I was under the impression that everything regarding the next school year has already been discussed,"� said Severus annoyed.

As soon as the last member left the room, Minerva continued, "This isn't about the next year, Severus, but rather about you. As you know Mr. Potter was offered the position of assistant teacher. While he was going over the rules of what he is allowed to do and what not as a teacher, he came upon the Section "How to treat the students and behave in class"�. He found that you broke all of them. If you wish to take a look at the list he made."

�"Now, I doubt that it is as bad as he makes it out,"� interrupted Albus.

Minerva gave Albus a fake smile and said, "Albus, I'm not deaf. I can hear most students complain about Severus and therefore knew that he might be breaking a few of the rules. However, as long as no student complained about it to another teacher, nothing could be done. Mr. Potter considers doing so. And if you even think about letting this go, he told me that he isn't above showing the rules to his friends and he is quite confident that at least one of them will comment on them loud enough for the whole Gryffindor Common Room to hear. Do you really want to explain what happened to Mr. Potter's first complaint?"

"This is frivolous. His fame clearly got to him. If he can't deal with a little critic, it clearly proofs that he thinks himself above everybody else," remarked Severus angry.

Minerva sighed, "He did not tell me about your confrontations. However, he remarked that you asked Neville, in front of the whole combined Gryffindor/Slytherin class, what his parents would say if they knew what a failure he is. You should know better than that. He also remarked that the Slytherins have free run of your class. In fact he is only listed once on his list and that is for you singling him out because he is famous. He confessed to me that, upon my asking, that the first point concerns him as well. How does it sound that you destroy a student's potion and give zero points on it, without assessing it?"

"He didn't?"� asked Pomona shocked.

Meanwhile, Albus was looking at the list Minerva had pulled out of her pocket. Coughing slightly he caught the attention of the four Heads of House, "This quite a list and insinuates that all of the 10 rules are broken. Severus, I believe I warned you that this could happen."

"They hold no regard to the dangers of brewing a potion. They need to be discouraged from thinking they can successfully brew a potion and risk poisoning or an explosion!"� tried Severus to defend himself.

Minerva snorted, making everybody present stare at her, "If they were taught properly than this wouldn't be an issue. They need to learn the basics, before you can attempt to scare them out of brewing. That way they at least have the chance to find out whether they are capable of it or not. There hasn't been a single student interested in potions since you started teaching. Before that there was an average of 3 adapt students a year who could consider trying a potions apprenticeship. Those of Slytherin, who actually have the grades for it, usually fail the first test, proofing that they aren't as good as their grades suggest."

� TBC