Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of A Sentinel's Guide
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
735
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
19
Hits:
2,671

A Sentinel's Guide 4: Flight

Summary:

Series/Sequel: yes, A Sentinel's Guide: Rogue/Love and Guns/Attraction
Warnings: Not Beta'd, AU, Dark Blair
Submitted through the Makebelieve_Squidge mailing list.

Work Text:

A Sentinel's Guide 4: Flight
by Kateri

"Hello, Sandburg speaking"

"Yes Mr. Sandburg, my Name is Mary Sue,

I'm Dr. Stoddard's secretary. I have been trying to contact you for the Doctor for the past week"

"Yes well, I've been busy. An outreach program I volunteer for has had us stuck making cookies. What does Doctor Stoddard want?"

"Doctor Stoddard is currently putting together a team for a field study in Borneo and has chosen you as his research assistant. He believes that it could help in your dissertation."

"Um, he what? Borneo, when and how long?"

"I said that Doctor Stoddard has chosen you as his personal research assistant, you would be leaving in two months and the study is supposed to last one year, possible more if the grant is extended."

"I don't think I could do that, I am involved in a study of my own at the moment and two months would be the middle of the semester for me."

"I don't think you understand Mr. Sandburg, Doctor Stoddard has chosen you-"

"Yes, I heard you the first time, but I can't really just drop everything at the moment to leave for Borneo"

"sigh"

"You will have to inform Doctor Stoddard that at this point in time it is just not doable"

"Doctor Stoddard has instructed me to inform you that in exchange for you services on this study he would be willing to give you some papers written by Burton that pertains to your dissertation."

"You're kidding"

"I don't kid Mr. Sandburg"

"I really could use some more resource material but I'm in the middle of a study, I can't leave Cascade"

"I see, well are you sure you won't reconsider?"

"If I say I will can I get a look at the papers?"

"Well, maybe"

"That's terrific."

"I suppose I could arrange it."

"Thanks a lot"

"But I would like you to seriously think about the offer."

"Absolutely."

"You need to stop by to check out the papers, would you like to go out for lunch afterwards?"

"No, no -- thank you. Thank you so much. I'll get back to you, ok? Bye-bye. All right!"

"Some girl must have said yes." Said Jim Ellison from his spot by the front door

Blair shook his head no " Do you know who that was? Dr. Eli Stoddard's secretary?

"And who is that?"

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

The answering machine beeped with one last message.

"This is Mary Sue from Dr. Stoddard's office. Dr.Stoddard needs a final answer about Borneo. If you're still interested, please call us at 555-4678."

"I guess you should call him back." Jim said not meeting Blair's gaze

"Well, actually, I've already decided not to go. This sentinel thing... You know, it's more than just a research project. Uh... it's about friendship. I just didn't get it before."

"Okay."

They both moved out to balcony, Jim standing totally outside while Blair leans against doorjamb.

"You know," Blair said "you were really something out there in the jungle, man. I've never seen you so focused, so in control. It was pretty amazing. You never did tell me how you got your powers back."

Jim shrugged " They just came back."

Blair's eyes narrowed "Why do I get the feeling like you're not telling me everything?" Blair walked forward slowly to stand in front of Jim

"Because I just don't have the energy to talk about it right now. We're home. Let's enjoy it."

Blair's smile lit up the room "Welcome home, partner."

They clinked their bottles. A growl heard only by Jim causes him to look inside to see the panther on the upper loft bedroom floor, watching him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dear Journal,
I'm finely back in home with my Sentinel. My Sentinel's senses did return. I am so proud of my Sentinel and man was it amazing. I have to call Doctor Stoddard and tell him I won't be going with him. Like I would leave mySentinel for over a year. Nothing will ever make me give up my Sentinel. Nothing, will ever some between my Sentinel and me.

And anybody that tries, well they will simply have to be taken care of.

Permanently

END

Series this work belongs to: