Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,099
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,148

A Moment's Peace

Summary:

Inspector Maigret Mysteries. -- Small scene set during the ep "Maigret Sets a Trap." Dialogue from the ep marked with * --Sergeant Lucas/Inspector Janvier

Work Text:

"No, I don't have time to talk to reporters. You know what to say. You see them*," Maigret ordered and hung up.

Lucas stared at the receiver for a long moment and hung up. He let out a long sigh. Sometimes, it just didn't pay to be Maigret's right hand man. "Reporters," he muttered and rubbed his mustache. "Might as well get it over with."

Lucas lit a cigarette and went to the conference room to see the two reporters, a man and a woman. He came inside and looked at them sitting on the bench. He took his cigarette out of his mouth and blew out the smoke.

The man, Rougin, regarded Lucas like he did all policemen, with suspicion. "Where's Inspector Maigret?*"

"He's busy*," Lucas answered flatly.

"Can we speak to him?*" the woman, Maguy, pressed.

"No. You'll have to make due with me.*" //Lucky me.//

Rougin stabbed his cigarette out on the bench and stood up. "Has your prisoner escaped, Sergeant?*"

"What prisoner?*" Lucas asked blandly

Maguy followed suit and both of them advanced on Lucas. "Have you released him?*" she enquired.

"Who?*"

Rougin stepped as close to Lucas as he dared. "The killer has attacked again tonight, hasn't he?*" he challenged.

Lucas met Rougin's face. "An attack on a young woman did occur this evening, yes, but she was unharmed.*"

"Who was she?*" Maguy asked.

Lucas shook his head. "I can't tell you that.*"

It was Rougin's turn. "Are you keeping it a secret?*"

"No, I'm just not telling you," Lucas answered neutrally. He almost wished he could reveal that this was all part of Maigret's plan to catch the killer, that the woman who'd last been attacked was a policewoman undercover. Then maybe the press would stop printing stories reflecting an attitude that the police were either too lazy or too incompetent to perform the job.

Rougin glared at Lucas as if that would force Lucas to give him the answers. "Why? Is she married? Shouldn't she have been where she was?*"

Lucas gave a small shrug of the shoulders. "Possibly.*"

"Or possibly not. Don't you think this is all very mystifying, Sergeant?*"

"What mystifies us, Monsieur Rougin is the identity of the killer.*"

Maguy jumped in again. "Have you discovered that?*"

"No, not yet. That's why we're mystified,*" Lucas replied, completely deadpan.

At least she kept her tone reasonable and not accusing like her companion. "Are you any nearer finding out after what happened tonight?*"

Lucas sighed. "Listen, we're all worn out. If you don't mind, I'm gonna get a couple of hours sleep.*"

Lucas turned away and Maguy came up behind Rougan's shoulder. "Did the woman get a good look at her attacker?"

"Enough to give you a description," Rougan added.

Lucas stopped in the doorway. He grunted and turned back around. "All right. Yeah. He was about thirty, dark hair, wearing a dark suit.*"

Maguy frowned at Lucas as if it was his fault. "That's a bit vague, isn't it?*"

"Look, I know it's not much," Lucas admitted reasonably. "In a day or two, we may be able to give you more. In the meantime, you'll have to make due with what you've got. I'm sorry.*" He thought the interview was over and maybe he could catch a couple hours sleep before the Chief needed him again.

Rougan waited until Lucas was almost out the door. "Are you releasing the man you brought in?*"

"I'm said I'm sorry," Lucas snapped. "Good night.*"

This time, it was final and he walked away. He got rid of his cigarette in the ashtray on his desk. Then he went to the small room where Maigret's squad kept a few bunks to use during long and difficult cases. This certainly qualified as one.

One lamp was on, set to low. The room was empty except for Janvier laying down on the bunk at the far wall. He turned his head to see Lucas and smiled. "You look well for a man who's just had to swim with the sharks?"

"They were looking for someone to sink their teeth into." Lucas laughed quietly. "Next time, I should ask the Chief for hazard pay."

"And he'll say only if he gets it every time he goes to the Examining Magistrate's Office," Janvier retorted. He sat up and patted the space next to him. He was without his jacket, vest, tie, and shoes. The top buttons of his shirt were undone. "Both he and LaPointe are out."

Lucas went over and sat next to his friend, leaving no space between them. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Did you manage to get any sleep?"

Janvier yawned but nodded. "Maybe an hour or two. You know how it is." He rubbed Lucas's back. "It's your turn."

Lucas moved his head from side to side to stretch his neck. He was so tired and looked at Janvier's weary face. "It looks like we're going to lose that weekend we've been planning."

Janvier smiled, leaned in, and kissed Lucas's cheek. "We'll just have to plan another one."

Lucas rested a hand at the base of Janvier's neck. The skin was warm and welcoming to the touch. "Which will take another six months."

Janvier shrugged. "It's part of the job. We've been doing this for a long time and we've always had to be extremely careful. We should be used to it by now."

Lucas frowned. "I know. I know. That doesn't mean I have to like it."

Janvier tugged Lucas's tie from it's place under his vest and used it to pull Lucas even closer. He softly kissed Lucas's lips. "I miss you, too," he whispered.

Lucas leaned against Janvier and rested his head on his shoulder. He inhaled the scent of sweat and faint traces of Janvier's toilet water. He shut his eyes, willing the outside world away.

Janvier just held Lucas for a few minutes before pulling away just enough to start untying Lucas's tie. They were both silent and he soon had it off along with the vest. Then he stood and pushed Lucas to lay down. He took care of his shoes and put them under the cot.

Janvier was crouched at Lucas's side. He kissed him again. "I'll wake you in a hour or two."

"All right." Lucas briefly brushed his thumb across Janvier's cheek. He closed his eyes and was soon asleep.

Janvier placed a light kiss on Lucas's forehead. Then he gathered his own discarded clothes from a nearby chair and crept out. It was time to get back to work.

The End