Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,280
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,079

A Fine Romance

Summary:

Scenario: X2 Movieverse, although it takes place long before either movie.
Pairing: Scott/Jean (yes, really)
Sequel/Series and so forth: This fits in with my two X2 series: After the Fall and Returning Spring (I'm working on the third one - working title: Summers in a Sea of Glory). My Scott's gay and in my X2 fiction he and Jean decided while in college to try and make a go of being a couple, in spite of that.

Work Text:

A Fine Romance
by Mo

Here's how Scott explains it to Logan in After the Fall:

"So Jean and I got an apartment together. In some ways it was the stereotypical gay man/straight woman friendship - we were often lusting after the same guys. But then our second year in college it changed. Maybe we'd both gotten our hearts stamped on too many times, or something. We already had each other as companions, study partners, roommates. It didn't seem that strange to add sex to the mix. We definitely looked on it at first as just friendship, friends who fuck, you know? But over time it felt like more. And when we came back here, after graduation, well we came back as a couple. Got a room together. I started building the school, with Charles. Jean was commuting to the city for med school. My life seemed sort of normal, all of a sudden. Respectable."

Scott was sitting in the dark. That's why Jean didn't see him when she came in. Well, that and her miserable and self-absorbed mood, which didn't allow for noticing her roommate on the couch.

She hadn't been able to find her keys. She stood there outside the apartment door, rummaging through her purse, the tears and the shaking making it hard to locate anything. And as she tried and failed to find them - coming up with lipstick and her wallet and assorted useless other things - the frustration making her cry harder.

Jean thought she'd die if someone saw her falling apart in the hall like this, especially Nosy Next Door who was always gleefully telling her about the guys who come and go when she's not there. Jean half wanted to tell her the truth - that she and Scott are roommates, not lovers, and she knows he's gay - but she didn't want to give the old bat the satisfaction of knowing anything about them. So when she heard Next Door's footsteps approaching the door, she just had to get into the apartment before she got caught there crying.

Jean gave up looking for her keys and reached into the lock with her brain, tripping the tumblers. "Why didn't I ever think of that before?" she asked herself. She slipped into the apartment and slammed the door telekinetically, just as Next Door opened hers.

Safely inside, Jean slid down until she was sitting on the floor. Back to the door, knees pulled up, she put her head down and them and let herself cry in full force now. Sobbing, nose running.

"Jean?" Scott turned on the light, reaching for his glasses as he did.

Jean jumped up, smoothed her clothes, trying to make herself look at least a little presentable before he opened his eyes. "I didn't know you were home," she said unnecessarily. "I thought you were on a date."

"I thought you were on one, too." He patted the couch. "Sit down. Tell me about it." He handed her a tissue.

"I must look terrible."

He shook his head. "You always look beautiful." He hugged her. "So, what happened with Grant tonight?"

"It's over."

"I'm sorry, Red."

"Me, too. I thought we were good together, you know? I thought this might be it."

"I'm sorry," he said again. "I thought it was going to last, too." He stroked her hair. She leaned on his shoulder. "You two seemed like such a great couple. Plenty in common. He took the mutant thing in stride. And the gay roommate," he added, with a smile.

"He said he was glad you're gay. He was worried about competition at first, glad to find out it wasn't like that between you and me." She sobbed again. "Shit. Even my mother liked him, and she *never* likes any of the guys I go out with. And - not to be shallow or anything - but aside from you, Grant's the best looking guy I know."

"He's hot."

"Yeah, hot. Hot for Anneliese Schneider, unfortunately, not me."

"The micro TA?" She nodded. "Well, he's got no taste, then. You're better looking, smarter, funnier. An all-around better person."

"I tried to ignore it," she said, sniffing. "I mean, he wasn't cheating on me. Not that he wouldn't if he could, but she's married. Happily. And I just tried to tell myself there's nothing wrong with him being attracted to other people. It's not fair to expect a guy not to even *think* about other women, is it?"

"You're the only woman I ever think about," he replied. It made her laugh, which is what he'd wanted. "You're right, though. It's probably hard being with a telepath."

"I know! Sometimes I wish I'd never developed telepathy. It was easier just being telekinetic, I'll tell you." She smiled a little.

"So, he's got a bit of a crush on the teacher. Doesn't mean he doesn't love you, just because he thinks about her."

"Every time we have sex? I swear, he can't get it up unless he closes his eyes and pretends I'm her. He's obsessed." She blew her nose and continued. "I told him so. And then he got mad and said I'd been eavesdropping on him. It's not like I'm doing it on purpose! He's broadcasting so loud I can't ignore it. Believe me, I don't *want* to know my boyfriend is
thinking about some other woman right while he's making love to me."

"I believe you."

"Well he didn't. Or maybe it was just an excuse to break up with me." She took another tissue from the box and wiped her eyes. "What happened with Tim?"

Scott shrugged "He wanted to see my eyes."

"He didn't know?"

"Yeah, he knew. I told him when I met him. I'm not getting dumped by some guy I liked when he finds out I'm a mutant. Not again. I tell them right up front now."

"So, if you told him..."

"Well, there's telling. And then there's showing." He looked away. "And maybe I didn't tell him really clearly anyway," he added sheepishly. I *liked* Tim. I didn't want to scare him off. So I told him I'm a mutant, yes. And explained about optic blasts, sort of. Downplayed it a bit. I don't think he realized how dangerous I am," he added, with a sour smile. She squeezed his hand. "So he wanted a demo and I gave him one. End of story. End of Tim."

"I'm sorry, Scott."

"Yeah, me too." She hugged him. "Hey, we still have each other," he told her, smiling.

He'd said it before. They both had. But this time she looked at him when he said it. Really looked at that perfect face - cheekbones to die for, such a kissable mouth. So, she kissed him, leaning in to brush her lips against his.

He kissed her back. It started out friendly, like all the hugs and cuddles and snuggling together watching movies on the couch they'd done. But it turned into something different. He pulled her close, slid his tongue between her lips. She sucked on it, pushed her whole body against his. And she felt him getting hard, pressed against her.

Jean broke off the kiss, pulled away. Sitting there on the couch she looked at him with something approaching wonder. "You were thinking about kissing me."

"I *was* kissing you."

"I know. But you were thinking about that, about me. And you were..." She looked away.

"I know." He took her by the chin, turned her head back to him.

"Scott, have you ever had sex with a woman?"

"Never."

"Do you want to give it a try?"

He nodded and smiled. "Yeah," he said, "I do."

END