Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,460
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
6
Kudos:
16
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,734

What?

Summary:

Rating: FRT-13
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Summary: What did he say?
Warnings: Euphemisms abound, language.
Notes: For BC challenge...hope this helps fight the nasty bug.
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

What?
by Matt

"What? What did you say?"

I hear Ziva David's accented voice hiss the question across the small expanse of space dividing her desk from DiNozzo's and try, really try, not to get involved in another round of their little word-game but, with the subject they've chosen for discussion, I'm hard-pressed to keep my mouth shut. I want to yell to them their topic, this time around, borders on sexual harassment and *both* of them could have charges filed. I could tell them...but I don't want to. I just want to, covertly, listen.

"I said," DiNozzo shoots a quick look my way, and I make sure my eyes are on the printout resting on my desk, before he continues, voice barely above a stage-whisper, "back when I was on the job in Baltimore, we use to call it 'badgering the witness'."

I glance at Ziva's face from the corner of my eye and see her expression remain blank and uncomprehending. I want to laugh, I swear I do, but I don't think either she or Tony would appreciate my interruption at this time. She's a lot more familiar with American euphemisms than she lets on and I know she does this just to see how far Tony will go...before she snares him in her trap.

"I don't understand," she frowns, shaking her head minutely, dark eyes somehow transmitting her wish for clarification. Christ, can she be any better at lying?

Tony's mouth opens slightly and I can tell he's ready to expound. Does he even know what he's getting himself into this time? I pick up my phone and pretend to make a call.

"Assault on a friendly witness?" He offers quietly. At her continued stare, he clears his throat and tries again. "Choke the sheriff and wait for the posse to come?" Still no response. "Evacuating the bomb squad? Freeing the hostages? Come on, Ziva, you're killing me here."

I want to laugh at his expression now, his astonishment at her lack of, what he considers, important cultural phrases really pretty comical. But he looks younger than his actual age right now and I don't want to put a damper on his good humor...just yet.

Tim McGee makes the mistake of wandering into their field of conversation, nose buried in some manila report folder, and Ziva immediately snags his attention. This ought to be good. I put my phone down and turn slightly away, trying to make it look like I'm doing some work at my computer. Right.

"McGee," her voice is smooth and slick and I can just imagine what McGee's face must look like as he responds, "Tony is trying to help me understand some of Petty Officer Cates' remarks. Perhaps you can clarify them for me?"

"Well," McGee is so naive at times I just can't figure him out but it's his innocence and unsullied outlook that drew him to me to begin with, "I don't know but I will certainly try."

Ziva rises from her chair, the transcript of Cates' confession in her hands and I can see the gleam in her eyes before it's masked with faked confusion. "It's this part, right here," she's pointing to the paragraph I'm already very familiar with. "Can you explain it to me?"

I watch McGee take the papers in hand, scan the area in question, and then...and then...wait for it...yes, there it is! McGee's ears and neck begin a slow, steady flush, the skin pinkening with embarrassment as he realizes his mistake. I can see him flash Tony a look but can't see his eyes. I can only image what's going through his mind. I *can* see Tony's grin grow. Oh, it's sly and evil and I don't know why but it makes me want to jump over the desk and wipe that smirk right off his mouth...with my own.

"Um," McGee is actually going to respond, so I reign in my thoughts and refocus. This ought to be good. "Um, actually, it means, you know, booting up your hard drive."

I swear I almost choke, especially when Tony laughs and nods in agreement, both sets of eyes swinging back to Ziva's face to see if she finally gets the picture now. Her face is as blank as before and I can see McGee frown.

"Beta testing your hardware?" He offers again, handing the papers back to her. "How about, debugging the hard drive?"

Her face remains a void landscape. Now, Tony is on his feet and moving to stand next to McGee, so they are shoulder to shoulder, and the two men look down at Officer David's petite form. It's getting harder and harder to mask my surveillance, especially as they begin their double assault.

"Aiding and abetting a known felon," Tony quickly speaks.

"Downloading from your own website," McGee offers next.

"Calling in the secret service."

Neither one of those knuckleheads sees when Abby suddenly enters the area and moves to stand directly behind them, so caught up in their own little world of beating around the bush. Beating around the bush. Heh. Okay, now I have to refocus or I'm on the fast-track back to high school, too. I can see Abby's quick mind grab hold of the topic and the smile that erupts is megawatt.

"Oh!" She exclaims and catches the two males by surprise. I see them whirl to face her. "Collecting a specimen! Or, how about, committing mass spermicide?"

Ziva's mouth twitches and her eyes take on a glimmer. She's going to break her cover any minute, I can feel it, and it's all because of Abby.

"A Han Solo," Tony grins at Abby now and there's a connection between them that sizzles. I'll have to ask him about that later but, right now, I just want to listen.

"Ignite the lightsaber," McGee throws in swiftly and steals Abby's attention momentarily from DiNozzo. He puffs up proudly and arches an eyebrow in challenge and I can't help but think I've never seen them all so worked up about something so trivial...and enjoying it so much.

"Discharging the heat-seeking moisture missile." Someone says quickly, only to be answered with, "Emptying your sex pistol." from another.

I wonder how long something like this could possibly go on when I catch sight of Director Shepard standing at the top of the stairs leading to MTAC, a frown marring her face, and realize I've let this go on too long. I don't think she's heard the topic of the 'conversation' but I can tell from the set of her shoulders she's not happy with what she sees, so I have to end it...no matter how much I'd rather not.

"Enough!" I bark and watch them scatter, McGee and DiNozzo back to their desks, Abby back toward the basement, and Ziva heading in the direction of the water cooler. I chance a glance up toward the staircase and see Shepard is gone and feel a surge of resentment for the power she has over me and my people. Bitch.

They all work until I tell them to shut it down for the day and get lost and, as I wait by the elevator that will take me to the parking level, I feel DiNozzo join me at my side, a little too close but very welcome. He leans across me to push the button again, even though it's plain to see I've already done so, and his shoulder brushes my chest, sending a small tingle of pleasure.

"So," he begins nonchalantly, tugging the strap of his backpack higher, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Boss."

Like hell he will.

The doors open and we step in. I cast a quick glance his direction, knowing he wants to hear me tell him to come home with me but, instead, I lean close and whisper.

"Gonna go home and fire off a round?" I ask hotly and see his eyes widen. "Maybe a little hand-to-glan combat? Get the little soldier marching?"

He's starting to smile now, his eyes lighting with pleasure, and I can see that devilish streak he carries begin to rise. "Not quite what I had in mind."

He leans close and covers my mouth with his and it's good and hot and wet and, as the doors begin to reopen, we both know how this night will end. Pulling back, he smiles secretly before we step out into the darkening sky and toward our separate vehicles. I feel it too. This is not a night for individual, singular pleasure. This is a night for sharing and none of the expressions voiced today have a space in our vocabulary.

Tonight is all about together.

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Matt51.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.