Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,432
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
945

The Accident

Summary:

Permission to archive: Yes
Fandom: The Sentinel
Genre: General
Characters: Blair Sandburg and Jim Ellison
Rating: FRT
Summary: Blair has an accident at the university
Warnings: Smarm alert as Jim takes care of Blair. Not beta'd and all mistakes are mine.
Notes: This is complete and all feedback encouraged.
Submitted through the BlairOooowiesGenFic mailing list.

Work Text:

The AccidentBy Debbie Tripp

 

He sat on the hospital bed in the examination room. At least, they let him sit up. He just had the cast placed on his left forearm, been given another round of pain pills and was glad they had been given to him. All he was doing now was waiting for his partner to show up. The nurses had assured him that Jim had been called and he had told them he would be there as soon as he could get away.

While he waited for Jim to arrive, Blair looked around the small room. And thought about what had brought him to the hospital this time. At least this time, it wasn't his fault. He had just been going from Hargrove Hall to the university library when the impromptu football game crossed his path. And Blair was in the path of both the football and the student who was running after the ball. Unfortunately, the student had his eyes on the ball and not on Blair and Blair had his eyes on the book he was reading. Thus, the collision. Blair fell backwards, his left arm ending up underneath him. He was stunned and a little dazed, as was the student who barreled into him. Within minutes, an ambulance was called and a group of students and professors had gathered around the two downed men. The student, who had run into Blair, knocking him over, kept apologizing over and over. Blair told the student, Ethan Cornwell, it was no big deal. But Ethan felt worse when the paramedics arrived and announced that Blair had a broken forearm and would have to go to the hospital to have it set.

Blair agreed to be taken in the ambulance. He double-checked before he left to make sure that Ethan was okay. The student was fine; only bumps and bruises and no need to go to the hospital. Ethan still felt his share of guilt though in barreling into a professor and causing a broken bone.

Ethan stood by the gurney as Blair sat down. "I am really sorry, Professor Sandburg. I should have watched what I was doing. It was such a nice day outside that Rob and I..."

"It's okay, Ethan. I totally understand. It actually sounds like something I would do myself." Blair actually laughed, trying to diffuse the situation. But the shocked look was still on Ethan's face as the paramedics loaded Blair up and took off for the hospital.

********

Blair closed his eyes as he waited for Jim to show up. He soon heard movement and opened his eyes, looking towards the entrance to the examination room. He was surprised by the visitor.

"Ethan! What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to stop by to see how you're doing, Professor Sandburg."

Blair could see the worry in the young man's eyes. "Please, Ethan. Call me Blair. I'm doing fine. They placed the cast on my arm, given me pain meds and I'm just waiting for my partner to pick me up. He should be here in a little while."

"If you want me to, I can pay for the medical care. It's the least I can do."

"No, no, Ethan. Really, it's okay. I have health insurance and it's all covered. You didn't need to stop by; they're not even keeping me in the hospital."

"Well, I'm glad about that, Pro--, I mean Blair. Again, accept my apology for the collision."

"It was just an accident, Ethan. There's no need to apologize. It could have happened to anyone. I don't blame you and you shouldn't hold on to all that guilt."

"You know, you should listen to him. He's a very smart man."

Ethan turned around and came face to face with Jim Ellison. Blair looked around Ethan and smiled.

"Hey, about time you got here, Jim. Jim, this is Ethan Cornwell. Ethan, this is Jim Ellison, my partner and roommate. Ethan blames himself for my accident. I've been trying to tell him it was just that; an accident. Ethan holds onto guilt about as well as you do, Jim."

"I should go, now that your partner is here, Blair. I hope you don't have too much pain."

"I'll see you, Ethan. Thanks for stopping by to check up on me."

Ethan nodded at Jim when he left the examination room. Jim turned to focus his attention on Blair.

"You sure you're going to be okay, Chief?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine once I get home. Or should I say once YOU get me home. I may need a little support."

"Sorry I was so late getting here. We got a break on the rash of burglaries that the mayor wanted us to solve, so Joel and I went to arrest the perps. And of course, they wanted to resist arrest. And Joel and I had to call in backup to track them down."

Blair could see that Jim was stressed out from the ordeal. He reached out and patted Jim on the arm.

"Sorry to hear about that, Jim. Did you and Joel finally get them?"

"Yeah. And then when we got back to the station, Simon told me that the hospital called and you were here. Joel graciously offered to do the booking of the perps. I owe him big time."

"We'll have him over for dinner some night soon. After I learn my limitations with the cast. At least, it wasn't a full arm cast that I needed."

"I'm sorry to dump all of my troubles on you when you're the one in pain and you've been waiting to go home for a while. You'll have to give me the whole story on the way home."

"Maybe later, man. I'm really tired. They gave me pain meds and relaxants. I could sleep for a week the way I feel right now."

Jim moved over to the hospital bed, placing an arm around Blair's midsection. "You just lean into me, Chief. I'll get you home."

Blair looked up at Jim as he helped Blair off the bed. "Thanks, man."

Jim slowly led Blair from the examination room. Blair leaned towards Jim, putting his full faith into Jim to get him outside.

Jim got Blair outside and over to the passenger side of the truck. Blair leaned back against the seat, closing his eyes and relaxing. Jim reached over at clicked Blair's seatbelt into place before closing the door and going over to the driver's side and getting inside himself. He patted Blair on the knee.

"We'll be home shortly."

Blair didn't open his eyes when he answered Jim. "That's great, man."

Jim got them home within ten minutes. He helped Blair out of the truck, careful of the cast on his arm.

"Are you doing okay, Chief?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Blair mumbled around a yawn.

Jim chuckled and helped Blair inside the building and over to the elevator. Blair still had his eyes closed, complete trust and faith in Jim's ability to get him into the loft.

It was about ten minutes later when Jim unlocked the door to the loft and led Blair inside, depositing him on the sofa. Jim sat down beside Blair.

"You want something to eat or drink?"

"Nah, man. I just want to get some sleep. Those pills really did a number on me."

"Can you make it to your bedroom by yourself... or do you need my help?"

"I can make it." Blair opened his eyes and looked at Jim. "Thanks for all of your help, Jim. And for coming to the hospital to pick me up. Otherwise, I think Ethan would have stayed with me the entire time. Or else he would have insisted I go home with him. As I said, he holds onto guilt as well as you do. Maybe you're related somewhere down the line."

"You best go to bed now, Chief. You're letting your imagination get the best of you."

"Ha, ha. You're really funny Jim."

But it was a few minutes later when Blair slowly got to his feet, weaving slightly, and gradually made it to his bedroom. He spoke softly to Jim as he walked inside the room. "'Night, Jim."

"Goodnight, Sandburg. Pleasant dreams." Jim watched as Blair disappeared into the bedroom. He extended out his hearing, making sure Blair made it to his bed safe and sound. Once he was sure Blair was in bed, asleep, and safe for the night, Jim was able to relax totally. Tomorrow, he'd get the whole story out of Blair as he pampered his partner.

 

THE END