Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
13,708
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,260

I can only hope

Summary:

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the X-Files characters. They belong to FOX, Chris Carter, and Ten Thirteen Productions. I do, however, own the character of Ali Danez.
Summary: What is Krycek's motivation in life?
Rating: PG-14
Category: Krycek/Other Romance, Scully/Krycek Friendship, Krycek Angst.
Submitted through the kryceklovers mailing list.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

 

I can only hope
by Andaluchia


Washington D.C., 10:33 P.M.

"Stay down!" I hear the woman yell behind me. It doesn't take long to guess that she is yelling at me, but I'll act like I don't hear her anyway.

I look around and I suppose I'm in an abandoned warehouse, but I can't be sure. All I know is that it is dark and there are so many turns that you could mistake it for a maze. I decide to ignore it and run as fast as possible. Anything to get away from the sound of the heels clicking on the floor.

It can only be her. In my mind she is a myth. She saved my life twice, but still manages to hate my guts. Sometimes I wonder though, if her partner didn't hate me so much than maybe she wouldn't hate me so much. And if you haven't guessed who I'm talking about then you are a real idiot.

That's right. I can only be talking about the two infamous legends. The ones that nobody can seem to get rid of. Special Agents Mulder and Scully. I can still hear the clicking of the heels and I have to close my eyes to focus. I can't though because only Scully's heels clicking reminds me of her. Sometimes I wonder why only Scully reminds me of her, but I try not to dwell on the topic. I just want to get my mind off of her. If I don't I'll surely be ruined, caught, attacked, tortured, killed, who knows, just something bad will happen.

Is it possible to have such bad situations come out of thinking of the loved ones you lose? Yes, I realize to myself, it is possible. Because, they make you vulnerable. And that was exactly what she did to me. She made me vulnerable.

She taught me everything good and pure in life, but it was only used against me. Because of her I am what I am today. Everything good that she gave me turned me into the liar, cheater, traitor, murderer, and God knows what else that I am today.

Ali, what have you done to me?

When I realize that I am talking to her again I close my eyes again and try to concentrate. Finally, the images of her, of us, leave my head and I open my eyes. The one-armed, liar, traitor, murderer, crooked agent Alex Krycek returns.

Stay tough...

It's all revenge...

When I'm done her death will not have been for nothing. The click clack comes closer to were I am hiding and I prepare myself.

Muscles tense... Springs... Lower your head and watch the opponent...

Scully is coming nearer and nearer, not even realizing that I am right next to her. Soon I will be behind her and ready to pounce.

I won't kill her. I know that for sure. I've always known that I'd never kill Scully. I'd never kill Mulder either.

For a second my mind returns to events of Melissa Scully and Bill Mulders deaths. I can feel Ali's disapproving smile fall upon me.

Goddamnit! I didn't kill them, I scream at her, but immediately feel guilty for doing that to her.

Haven't I hurt her enough?

Ali, help me here.

You always had the answers.

Tell me what to do.

When I remind myself that my beloved is gone and that she will never respond to my pleas of advice my attention goes back to Dana Scully.

I prepare myself for the jump. She is trembling and I wonder if she realizes that she is about to fail. I move my foot slightly to support my weight when I fly at her. My upper body bends down forcing my arms to bend so that when I jump they will help spring me up.

It's about to be another showdown.

Here we go...again.

1...2...

"Scully!"

I duck back into the shadows as Scully's body turns around. Her eyes dart around the dark warehouse, as if that will help her see anything clearly. She isn't sure where the voice came from, but she is sure or hoping it is who she thinks she is. She wants to feel relief but not yet.

"Mulder?" She asks hesitantly.

"Scully!" He yells.

This reassures her and a smile falls upon her creamy complexion as she breathes a sigh of relief. "Mulder, I'm over here!" She yells, hoping her voice will show him the direction.

Shit...shit...shit!

I can hear Mulder coming closer. He wastes no time because I can hear him running towards Scully.

"Scully!" He says as he comes closer.

I am in such deep shit it's not even funny. If one person can catch me it's

Mulder. His instincts will tell him exactly where I am and nothing I do can stop it.

Ali, is this my punishment?

I just want revenge for what happened to you.

Mulder finally makes it to Scully and is about to tell her something when his whole body becomes tense.

Fuck...

Just by the expression on his face every single muscle in his brain is working. His instincts are going wild.

"Who were you chasing?" I hear him ask Scully.

I should just show myself. He's going to find me anyway. Maybe they won't shoot me if I come out myself.

"I..." Scully begins, but she has to catch her breath from all the running.

I smile to myself.

I'm still in great shape.

"I.." She starts again, but I interrupt her.

Slowly I come out of the shadows. She notices me first and her whole body freezes.

"Me," I say. Mulder whips around. "She was chasing me."

"Krycek," Mulder sneers.

"Mulder," I spat.

When Scully composes herself from the shock she reaches for her gun and points it at me. Everything in my body tells me not to smile like I want to.

I hold back the chuckle as I think of how many times we've been in this exact situation before.

"Don't move," she says firmly, as if I was moving in the first place. I was just standing there looking at the two shocked agents.

But, I decide to amuse me. I shrug and say, "sure."

Mulders anger is rising as he stares at me and reaches for his gun. He also points it at me and this amuses me.

"You want to shoot me so bad," I say, reading his mind.

"You have no idea," he says.

"Mulder," Scully says in a warning tone. She doesn't want any fire exchanged. Such a peacemaker, just like Ali.

I put my hands up in a surrendering fashion. "Hey, look I'm surrendering. I don't want any shooting," I tell them. The way Mulder looks at me tells me that he doesn't believe me. Or maybe that he doesn't want to believe me. He wants shooting, he wants my blood, he is begging for me to give him an excuse to shoot me. But, I won't. I will not satisfy him at all.

"Why should we believe you?" Mulder asks.

I just give him a poker face and say, "I don't know."

He is on the brink of laughter, but he continues to watch me. He is waiting for me to move the wrong way, to give him the wrong look, to say the wrong thing, anything so that my blood can be spilled.

"I'm not going to do it, Mulder." I say. He knows exactly what I mean by that, but I'm sure he'll say something anyway.

"Not going to do what?" He asks.

The asshole knows...

"I'm not going to give you a reason to shoot me," I say.

"Oh I have plenty reasons to shoot you," he says.

"But, you aren't going to shoot me. You need proof to back up those reasons and I know you're shit out of luck," I say. Boy, was that ever the wrong thing to say.

My body is so shocked from the sound of the gun going off that I don't even move to dodge it. It hits with such a force in my chest I feel like it sends me flying miles back.

"Mulder!" Is that last thing I hear as I fall backwards and hit something hard enough to knock me out.

The darkness envelopes me and I welcome it hoping to see her, even for a split second. Maybe I can dream of her. But, people like me never get the things they really want do they? I can only hope.

***

Washington Hospital, 6:41 A.M.

Oh God, my head hurts like shit.

I still see darkness, but I can feel the pain in both my head and chest. I can also feel a sharp cool breeze hit parts of my skin. Other parts feel like a cool layer of something is on top of it.

That's when I realize something.

I see darkness because my eyes are still closed. The pain in my chest is most likely from the bullet provided it hit me there and I'm almost positive it did. The pain in my head is most likely from falling backwards when the bullet hit and hitting my head on whatever. The sharp cool breeze I'm still unsure of.

It's not a natural breeze. I breathe in and can feel the purity of my location.

I'm in a hospital.

The cool layer on part of my skin is the sheet covering my body. I think I shall attempt to open my eyes now.

It's not working. One thing I realized in all my experiences is that you can rest so well and feel completely refreshed, but when you are shot it knocks every ounce of energy you ever had right out of you. It makes it difficult to even open your eyes.

This you must be careful of. See no matter how difficult it is you have to keep trying, fighting, to open your eyes. If you don't death will surround your whole body and there is no escaping it. Death is not something I'm ready for.

It's not because I am afraid of it, because I'm not. In fact I welcome it, but not yet. I still have much to do in this life. All for Ali and once I finish it all I can be with her forever in pure happiness, no worries. Provided I don't go to hell. I have to go to heaven because I know she is there. It would be a pure sin to not let Ali into heaven. But, to not let me into heaven would probably be justice. Hopefully God knows that I am trying so hard to bring justice on this earth first. Hopefully he'll look kindly upon me and let me be with Ali.

Lord, please help me to finish my mission and let me be with Ali again. Will the Lord listen to a person like me? He will listen and hopefully it will all help.

My thoughts are broken when I start to hear voices. I know that I am finally coming back to being awake because of this. Soon I will be able to open my eyes again.

"Mulder shot him sir."

Its Scully and I'm pretty sure she is speaking with Skinner.

"It's...not like him," I hear her say.

Mulder is so tired of the bullshit. Just like I am. If only he knew how much we had in common maybe he wouldn't hate me.

I can feel Scully's eyes watching me. What is going through her mind? Then I know why she reminds me so much of Ali. I must tell her. I slowly open my mouth but, it is difficult. I try to find my voice, but when you've been unconscious talking again can be a bitch. Because as soon as you open your mouth you either speak very loudly where people in California could hear you or you talk so low that you can't even hear yourself.

I will start out slowly to get her attention. "Scully," I mouth with no volume.

"Sc..." ully I mouth half of her name. "Scully," I finally say.

I can feel her looking at me again. She still isn't sure if I'm the one who said something.

"Agent...Scully," I say and then I hear the click clacking of her heels coming to me.

Thank God...

"Krycek?" She asks to see if I'm awake.

I open my eyes and wince at the bright light. Then I turn my head to look at Scully.

"I...need," I began. I need to find my voice so I can tell her.

"What is it? You need something for the pain?" She asks.

This makes me smile. She hates me so much but she is still so considerate.

"No, I'm...OK," I say.

"Then what is it?" She asks.

"I need to tell you," I say.

"Is it about Cancer Man?" She asks.

I nod a yes.

"Tell me," she says.

"Close the door," I say. "And I'll tell you everything."

***

Quantico, 7:48 P.M. September 10th, 1992 Club Shrine

"The girl is crazy!" Claire giggled to two other girls as they each watched their friend, Ali, blow off every guy who approached her with a stupid come on.

"I can not believe she just dissed that fine specimen!" Juliet said, bewildered.

The three girls decided to approach their friend who happened to be at the bar getting a drink.

"Ali," Claire called as they approached her.

Ali turned around and upon seeing her friends her face brightened up with a sincere smile as they advanced on her.

"Hey," she said, her voice a bit hoarse from having to yell over the loud music in the club.

Claire came over and put a hand on Ali's shoulder. "Ali," Claire began, giving her friend a concerned look. "OK, I've seen about 5 or 6 guys approach you and each one of them you blew off. What is up with that?"

Ali just rolled her eyes and laughed good-naturedly. "Oh come on, why waste their time if I don't like them?"

At that comment all three of her friends rolled their eyes. "You are not going to start with this soul mate thing again, are you?"

"No," Ali said and before she could continue her attention went to the bartender that finally approached her.

"What can I get you tonight, ma'am?" He asked, politely.

Ali quickly skimmed the menu since she ha d been interrupted when her friends came over. "Do you have anything non-alcoholic?" Claire, Juliet, and Victoria all giggled. Claire stepped forward and looked at the bartender. "St. Ali here is against smoking and drinking." The bartender just looked at Claire strangely and then turned his attention back to Ali, who seemed to be unaffected by her friends comment. She was obviously used to their teasing.

"We have soda," the bartender offered.

"Make sure it doesn't have caffeine!" Juliet poked fun.

"Sprite," the bartender suggested.

Ali smiled sweetly at the man, who seemed to melt, and nodded. "Thank you," she mouthed to him for not jumping into her friends teasing. Most bartenders made fun of her for not drinking.

"Why go clubbing if you don't drink?" They'd say. But, it never mattered to her. They could make fun all they wanted. She was standing by her ground.

"Ali, sweetie," Victoria pleaded, "you need to have a drink girl. You have to relax."

Ali turned to her friend and just rolled her eyes. "Vicky, I am relaxed. I don't need to drink to be relaxed you know."

"That's right! She is 'high on life.'" Juliet giggled.

"OK, guys that's enough," Claire suddenly jumped in. She did take part in teasing her friend sometimes, in fact most of the time she initiated it, but she knew when to stop. She knew never to cross the line. And she didn't want to really hurt her friends feelings. "Let's leave her alone. She is happy with her Sprite."

"Thank you," Ali said as the bartender handed her a Sprite. She turned to her friends and smiled, "And thank you for reminding me exactly why I don't drink." All three girls went quiet and knew Ali was implying that they were drunk and acting stupid.

Claire suddenly felt guilty. Their teasing had hurt Ali's feelings. She stepped forward and said, "Ali, I'm sorry. You know we didn't want to hurt your feelings."

Ali remained quiet.

"Besides, even if one day you decided to take a drink I wouldn't let you. You are cool just like you are and I have a feeling its because you don't drink," Claire said. She turned to Victoria and Juliet and said, "Guys we shouldn't have done that to Ali. We drink and she never teases us or pushes her beliefs on us. So we shouldn't do it to her."

Victoria and Juliet nodded and both murmured apologies to Ali.

"Thanks guys," Ali said and sipped her Sprite.

"OK, there is one thing though that you do need to do," Claire said. "What's that?" Ali asked with curiosity.

"You need to stop dissing all these guys. Promise me that the next guy that approaches you you won't blow off," Claire said.

"Only if he's the right one," Ali said.

"Ali, sweetie, I know you have thing for the soul mate stuff, but how are you going to know its not the right guy if you don't even give them a chance?" Claire said.

"Trust me, I know right when I see them. They're losers," Ali said. "Next guy," Claire said.

"No," Ali stated and went back to sipping her sprite.

"Alright, go ahead and be the lonely old maid that you want to be," Claire said.

Ali looked at her friend in shock. "Claire, come on. I'm only 22 years old.

I have plenty of time to find the right guy. Just because I don't get laid with a bunch of guys on the way to finding him doesn't mean I want to be an old maid," Ali said.

Claire shrugged, "OK, fine, but getting laid on the way sure can be a hell of a lot of fun." All three girls except Ali giggled at the thought.

They all then became quiet and looked at their friend. "You have gotten laid before, right?" Juliet asked.

Ali put her Sprite down and sighed with frustration. "Yes, OK. I have. Jeez. You guys can be so annoying. In fact," she turned all the way around and faced them. "You're almost annoying as every guy who has talked to me tonight."

"Fine, whatever, but that bartender doesn't seem to be annoying and he keeps looking over at you," Claire mentioned. Ali glanced over at him and then shook her head.

"Nope, not the right guy," she stated.

"Uuh! Ali, how do you know that? What is he too skinny or something?" Claire said.

"Wrong vibes," Ali told her.

"I can't take this!" Claire exclaimed. "I'm going to the dance floor."

Ali laughed at her friends frustration. Victoria and Juliet left to go dance with whoever and Claire came and sat next to Ali. "I thought you were going to dance?" Ali asked. Claire just stared at her friend.

Ali knew this look. It was Claire's look of worry. Why does everyone worry about me, Ali asked herself?

A man came and sat on the other side of Ali and accidently bumped into her back as he sat down, "Sorry," he mumbled.

Ali didn't bother turning around. "It's OK," she said loud enough for him to hear and then turned her attention to Claire.

"Something on your mind Claire?" Ali asked.

"Yes, I'm worried about you," Claire said.

Ali rolled her eyes.

No surprise...

"Why now?" Ali asked.

Whoever is sitting behind me sure smells good she thought to herself. She finally came back to reality and noticed Claire had been talking to her the whole time.

"Huh, what?" Ali asked.

"You aren't even listening. God, Ali!" Claire said, irritated.

"Sorry Claire," Ali offered. Hmmm...I wonder if he looks as good as he smells, she smiled to herself.

She decided to turn around and casually take a look.

Just as she turned around she heard Claire, "Ali!"

Ali jerked her body around to look at her friend. "What?" Claire angry expression left and she looked at her friend almost with sadness, "What happened with Jason?"

Ali closed her eyes. Why did her friend insist on opening up old wounds. "Why are we talking about this? Why does it matter?"

"Ali, what happened?" Claire asked again.

Ali gave up and sighed, "Fine, you want to know what happened?" She asked as she looked at her friend. "The bugger didn't say much and when he did he chose the perfect words to break my heart."

"Ali--"

"If you are going to say something about me being afraid to hook up with another guy then you can just save it," Ali said.

"OK, fine. I'm sorry. You're my best friend and I just get worried," Claire admitted.

Ali leaned forward and hugged her friend, "Thank you, Claire. I appreciate it. Now, go dance."

"Fine, but are you coming to dance soon?" Claire asked.

"After I finish my Sprite...promise. Now go," Ali said.

"OK," Claire said and rose from her seat. "See yah in a little bit." With that said she left towards the floor.

Ali decided to take this opportunity and take a goo d look at the sweet-smelling guy behind her. Just as she was about to tap him and make conversation someone tapped her shoulder. Ali sighed and turned around.

"Claire--" She stopped when she noticed that the person who tapped her was not Claire, but some nervous-looking guy. Ali closed her eyes. Please, not another loser.

"Um...hi," he said. He extended his hand out to her. His eyes darted everywhere and he attempted to speak again. "Hi...I'm...I'm...My name is--"

"No entiendo{I don't understand}," Ali said suddenly. Pretending not to know English was what she did when she didn't want to be bothered. Most guys gave up because they didn't know Spanish. Others that did gave up because they didn't want a girlfriend who they had to speak Spanish to all the time.

"What?" The guy said, finally finding his voice.

Ali shook her head and said, "No entiendo. No hablo Ingles{I don't understand. I don't speak English}."

The man brought his fingers up to his chin as he scanned his brain for words. He finally looked at her and said, "Me...llamo.." He stopped to think if it was the right way to say it.

Ali stared at him in shock. She couldn't believe it. This guy barely knew Spanish and he wasn't even going to give up. When he failed to say anything again Ali figured he finally did give up. The man behind her stood up to walk away and Ali jumped to try and make conversation with him. But, before she could nervous boy finally found his voice again.

"Me llamo Alex Krycek."

Ali didn't know what to say. She was speechless. Granted his accent was horrible she still couldn't believe that he went out and tried.

His expression showed that he was thinking of what else to say in Spanish or how to say it. Ali shook her head to try and regain herself.

"Ali," she said.

"Uh...what? I mean...que{What}?" He said.

Ali chuckled and he joined her.

"Tu eres...bonita{you are pretty}" He said. Ali blushed. Not only was he trying to speak to her in Spanish, but he was actually being sweet with such sincerity that it was making her melt.

"You can speak English," she said. His eyes widened and then he realized what she was going and smiled. "I'm sorry," he said.

"No, it's my fault. It was very rude of me to pretend to not know English," she said. He took this as a good sign and sat next to her still facing her.

"So, what finally made you stop pretending?" He asked with curiosity then joked, "Was it my dashing looks?"

Ali started to laugh. "No, actually it was the horrible accent! I had to get you to stop."

They both started to laugh.

"My name is Ali Danez," she said and took his hand in hers to shake it.

"Alex Krycek," he said.

"I'll have to get you to write that down for me," she said.

Alex chuckled and then said, "So, you speak Spanish with a good accent. In fact, I can still hear the accent. Where are you from?"

"I'm Puerto Rican," she told him.

"I should have know that," he said.

"Why?" She asked.

Alex shook his head, "I can't tell you that."

"And why not?"

"Because if I told you you'd think it was a come on," he said and chuckled.

"Well, now I won't so tell me," she said, urging him.

"Because Puerto Rican woman are very enchanting and I felt enchanted when I saw you."

Ali was speechless. Everything in her body screamed that it was another come on, but everything in his eyes told her he was telling that truth and he was scared how she would react.

"Wow," she finally said and chuckled. "You sure know how to make a lady melt." Ali clasped her hand to her mouth when she realized what she said. Alex looked surprised and when they looked into each others eyes they both started to laugh hysterically.

"So, is Ali short for anything? Alicia maybe?" He asked. "Alianna actually," she informed.

"Beautiful name," he said.

"What about your last name? Wouldn't that be...Russian?" She asked.

"Yeah, how did you know?" He asked.

"I took a year of Russian back in high school. I don't remember a thing so if you happen to know Russian don't even bother to speak it because I won't know a word you are saying," she said.

"Well, as a matter of fact I do speak Russian. My parents were Russian immigrants," he said.

"Well, my Mother is in the Air Force and my father is a Geneticist," she said.

"Really. What about you? What are you?" He asked.

"An FBI agent in training," she said.

"No Kidding. I just graduated last year. No wonder you looked so familar. You were just year behind me," he said.

"Oh wow, that is cool. So you're an FBI agent now. I have just a few weeks before I officially become Special Agent Ali Danez," she said proudly.

"Can I buy you a drink, Ali?" He asked.

"Sure," she said. "Oh, soda though."

Alex looked at her with a questioning look.

"I don't drink," she told him.

"Oh...neither do I," he said.

"You're a liar," she said smiling at him. "But, a cute one."

***

September 11th, 1992, 9:37 A.M. Wind Crest Apartments Building #8 Apartment #12

Ali winced at the brightness of the sun shining through the windows as she opened her hazel eyes. She yawned and couldn't help smiling. She felt so refreshed this morning.

She was glad it was Saturday so she didn't have any classes and she could just lay there and breathe in all the sights. She went to turn on her side but when she couldn't she realized that a beautiful man was asleep, half his body on top of hers, hugging her like a teddy bear. She silently chuckled and decided not to move.

Her eyes wondered all over his room. It was very simple actually. His walls were white, covered with an occasional sports poster here and there. There was a picture of a girl around 15 years old who looked just like him and she guessed that was his sister. At least it better be his sister, she thought to herself.

He had a nice little stereo with a CD player and on the shelves lay a bunch of CDs. She scanned the CDs and was surprised to see that he listened to Madonna. In fact, he had all of her albums.

He had a regular sized bed with white and black blankets and a night stand next to it only containing a clock, lamp, and a phone. He also had a dresser in his room obviously containing his clothes.

Other than that his place was pure bachelor pad. She felt some movement and heard him groan. He was waking up. She found herself looking into his eyes when he opened them.

"Hey," she smiled.

He looked at her as if she had just bewitched him. If only she realized that she had. He just lay there staring at her, not even moving off of her.

"How long have you been awake?" He finally asked.

She glanced over at the clock. It now read 10:41 A..M.

"A little over an hour," she answered.

"And you just laid there?" He asked, bewildered.

"Well, I can't exactly move," she said and smiled as he realized his position.

"Sorry," he mumbled nervously as he climbed off of her.

"It's OK," she said. "It was quite comfortable."

There was a silence as he continued to look into her eyes. "Ali, do you...do--"

"Do I regret last night?" She finished for him. He nodded.

"Alex, you act like we had sex. We only slept in the same bed and I found it very nice. Do you--"

"No, I don't regret last night," he said before she could ask.

There was a silence again.

"Well," she started. "My friend Claire will never leave me alone for this." "Why's that?" He asked.

"Because she kept telling me last night that I needed to stop blowing off all those guys. In fact, she made me promise not to blow off the next guy that came up to me. And I told her that I wasn't going to promise. Of course, you happened to be the next guy," she chuckled.

"Well, you sort of told the truth," he said. She looked at him. "You tried to blow me off."

They both laugh.

"No entiendo," he imitated as they laughed.

"I'm sorry," she said. "You probably think I'm the most conceited girl in the world."

"No, I figure there has to be a reason," he told her.

"Now that I think about it the reason is not that important," she said. "In fact it was almost ridiculous."

"What was the reason?" He asked with curiosoty.

"Just old heart breaks," she said.

He put his arm around her and said, "Trust is a big thing now a days. It was a good reason."

"Well, I'm glad you understand."

"One thing though," he said.

"What?"

"Maybe we didn't have sex, but we slept in the same bed so can I at least kiss you?" He asked.

"You know, I was just about to ask the same question," she smiled.

He didn't reply with words. He just put his mouth against hers and kissed her tenderly.

***

Washington DC 12:01 P.M.

The man took in a long puff of his cigarrette and then moved to grab the phone. "Hello," his smoke-affected voice said.

"Sir, it's post 4," the man on the other end said.

"Yes? How is young Krycek?" He asked.

"He's doing fine otherwise. I see what you mean about him being an outstanding agent. I'm sure he will provide much help for the project when he joins," Post 4 said.

"Good good. I still know how to pick them. So, how is the surveillance going?" The man asked and then took another puff of his cigarrette.

"Fine sir. Typical guy in his 20's. He went to a club last night and met a girl. They were together til about 3 AM before going back to his place. So, it might have been his girlfriend although we were never aware that he had one. Shall we approach him soon before anything starts?" Post 4 asked.

"No, no. Let things develop. Then we'll have something to use against him if he refuses us," he said.

"Shall we maybe try and get the girl in on it?" Post 4 asked. The question was ridiculous, but he already asked it.

"No, it'll be a lot easier if the care between them is real," said the man. "Yessir."

"Good work, Post 4. I want you to get some information on the girl," he said.

"Already a head of you sir. Post 12 got me the information. Would you like it?"

"Yes, yes."

"Her name is Ali Danez, born December 21, 1969 on an Air Force Base in San Francisco to Master Sargeant Antonio and Katarina Danez. She has an older brother named Jude. He's in college getting a PHD in Engineering. She also has a younger brother named Brendan. He's a senior in high school. She is training at Quantico to become an FBI agent. So far, it looks like she'll graduate as Valedictorian. She could prove to be a good candidate in future purposes," said Post 4.

"Hmmm...yes, she does seem to be. Well, we'll leave it be for now. Keep up the good work," said the man and then hung up the phone.

"Was that Post 4?" Asked another man as he walked in facing Cancer man.

"Yes...it seems our boy has found a love interest," Cancer man says.

"Perfect," he said, almost purring. "Something to use in case of rejection."

"Exactly what I was thinking," Cancer man replied.

"Oh, and I should tell you that the Bureau is actually considering Agent Mulder's request to open up an X-Files division in the FBI," the man said.

"Hmmm," Cancer man took another long puff of his cigarrette. "We'll hold it off for now. Eventually we'll let them comply and we'll send in someone to debunk him."

"Do we have anyone in mind yet?" The man asked.

"I don't know yet."

"Because I thought of someone," the man continued.

"Who?"

The man threw a file before Cancer man. He opened the file and looked at it as the man explained to him.

"Special Agent Dana Scully AKA Doctor Scully," he said. "I think she'll be perfect in debunking his work. She teaches at Quantico right now."

"Yes," Cancer man said as he reviewed the file. "She does seem to be a good choice. But, we'll hold off on that right now. We've got other agents to recruit."

"Ali Danez? Post 12 sent me the file on her. I must say she seems a more perfect choice than Marita Corruviabas," said the man. Cancer man turned around to look away from the man as he took in more drags of the cancer sticks. "Training wise yes, but personality...no."

"Why not, sir? Is there something that you know?" Cancer man stood up and walked near the fireplace of his home and threw the remains of the butt in the fire. "I was a colleague of her father and mother.

She's a good girl..."

"In other words, she's not a slut and a slut is what we need," the man finished for him.

Cancer man looked up at him and gave him an expression that said 'pretty much.'

"In this business there are a lot of men," Cancer man said. "In this business it is rare to find a woman who can measure up to the job.

Unfortunately, they are used mostly for distraction."

"I understand, sir. Shall we recruit Marita?" Cancer man nodded.

***

October 31 1992, 4:33 P.M. Dorm Room #23

"'All I ever wanted...All I ever needed...Is here in my arms,'" Ali danced around her room as she sang to the Depeche Mode song on the radio. She looked at her clock, "Plenty of time."

"Ali!" Someone yelled as they pounded on the door. Ali sighed as she turned off the radio and opened the door revealing her mentor and teacher Agent Dana Scully.

"Hi, Agent Scully," Ali said as she moved to let her teacher in.

"Ali, how are you?" Dana asked as she stepped into the room. "I heard you singing. You must be in a good mood."

"I am," Ali said.

"Oh, I see," Scully said, "It's the boy you can't stop talking about isn't it?"

"Boy? Hardly. He's an FBI agent, remember?" Ali reminded her.

"You never mentioned that. What's his name?" Scully asked.

"His name is--" Ali was interrupted by another knock on the door. "Excuse me, Agent Scully," she said and moved to open the door.

"Hey, Ali," Claire said as she walked in.

"Just walk right in," Ali joked.

"Hi, Claire," Scully said when she recognized Ali's friend.

"Hi, Agent Scully," Claire said. Then she turned back to Ali and said, "So, I finally get to meet him tonight. Who are you two going as?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Ali asked gesturing to her costume and the demo looking baby doll sitting on the counter.

Claire burst into giggles, "Ohmigod! Rosemary and Guy!"

Scully smiled as she watched the two girls. She sighed as she remembered being that young.

"Well, girls," Scully said jumping into their laughter. "Don't be getting into any kind of trouble tonight."

"Don't worry Agent Scully, if someone tries to bother me I'll use the ol' Dana Scully kick butt moves on them," Ali joked.

"Funny," Dana said. In classes Dana was showing them different kicks to put on a perpetraitor when she accidently tripped and did the splits. Ever since then her students never let her forget it. "Anyway, Ali I just dropped by to tell you that you are graduating as Valedictorian."

Ali's mouth dropped in surprise. "No freaking way!" Ali said.

Dana smiled at Ali. She always found it amusing how Ali never used curse words.

"It's only because I have a the coolest teacher here," Ali said gesturing to Scully.

Scully blushed and suddenly felt like one of the girls again, but it passed and she gave her students a quick hug. "Well, you girls have fun tonight and don't do any weird animal ritual cult things."

Both girls laughed.

"I better go now."

"You could always join us, Agent Scully," Ali offered her.

"No, that's OK. You have fun," Scully said.

"Ooooh!" Claire teased. "Agent Scully has to go be with her boyfriend!"

"Very funny girls," Scully said as she walked out the door and said one more time, "Have fun!"

On her way down the stairs she bumped into a man that looked like he was the guy to Rosemary. Scully wondered if that was Ali's new love.

"Sorry," he said, politely as he helped her to pick up a few things of hers that fell to the ground.

"It's OK," Scully said. She noticed that the boy was looking at his watch and thought that maybe he was going to be late.

"Go on ahead, I can pick up these things," Scully said.

"No, it was my fault," he said. Scully then noticed a package of Fudgeshoppe cookies in his hand.

"Those are some great cookies," she said.

The young man smiled and said, "Yeah, my girlfriend loves them. I mean...well, she's not my girlfriend yet, but hopefully she will be." Scully smiled as she realized then that this was Ali's new love. She had grown fond her own student and new Ali's tastes quite well.

"Well, I wish you luck," Scully said and started to walk off.

"Thanks and again, sorry," he said as he walked toward Ali's room.

"I finally get to meet the man of mystery," Claire said as she rummaged through Ali's supply of food.

"Yes, finally and don't embarrass me," Ali warned her.

"Now, how would I do that?" Claire asked.

"You're breathing aren't you?" Ali joked.

"Very funny," Claire said and pulled out a bag of chips. "By the way, who's idea was it to go as Rosemary and Guy?"

"His," Ali said. "He really likes those horror/sci-fi movies."

Claire shrugged as she pulled out a box of triscuits. Ali quickly snatched them away.

"Don't," Ali said, "You can eat anything else, but these. They are his favorites."

Claire rolled her eyes. "It's only been a month and a half and you act like you've been together for years."

"Well, it feels that way," Ali said honestly and jumped when someone knocked on the door. "He's here," she said happily and went to open the door. She opened the door and quickly threw her arms around him, "Alexei!" It was her nickname for him.

He hugged her back and then pushed her away slowly. "Don't want to crush the cookies," he said as he handed her the package.

"Fudgeshoppe! YES! I can't get enough of these," she said.

"What about me?" He asked.

She smiled and kissed him, "I can't get enough of you either."

"Well, hello hello," Claire said as she stepped forward and extended a hand out to Alex. "Hello, Alexei."

"Alex," he said to her. Alexei was something he only let Ali call him. He took her hand and shook it.

"Feel free to forget all about that other girl in the room," Claire joked. Alex chuckled nervously and then said, "So, are you ready yet Ali?"

"Yup," she said and grabbed the doll showing it to him, "What do you think of our demon child?"

Alex burst into laughter, "You scared the shit out of me! I thought that thing was real!"

Ali covered the dolls ears and said, "Shh...don't cuss in front of the demon baby."

Alex smiled at her playfulness and then grabbed her hand and led her out the door, "'My mistake," he said and took the doll with his other hand. "Ready to go trick or treating, my little Rosemary?"

"Yes, my guy," she said and they left the apartment building to go to the halloween party they were invited too.

***

December 5th, 1992 Graduation day

"Closer," Antonio Danez instructed. Ali, Jude, Brendan, and mom Katarina crushed together to fit into the picture. A smile appeared on Mr. Danez's face as he looked at his family.

He was about to take the picture when he noticed Ali beginning to laugh. He smiled at her laughter but turned around to see what or who she was laughing at. That's when he saw a handsome looking young man approaching them. He put his hand out gesturing towards the camera.

"Sir, why don't you let me take the picture so you can be in it with your family," he offered politely.

"'Thank you," Antonio said and handed the camera over to him. He walked over to his family and the man took the picture of them. When the man walked over to him he handed the camera back and smiled at Ali.

"Ali, do you know this young man?" He asked.

"Dad, this is Alex...my boyfriend," Ali said.

Snickers between her two brothers Jude and Brendan were heard as Brendan whispered, "This is going to be good."

Antonio shot his son a look and then turned back to the nervous looking man named, Alex. "Alex, I'm Ali's father," he said and extended his hand out to shake Alex's.

Alex took his hand and shook it, "It's nice to finally meet you, sir." "He's cute," Katarina whispered in her daughters ear.

"*Mom*," Ali said. embarassed.

"How long have you two been dating?" Antonio asked.

"Almost 3 months," Alex said.

"And what do you do, Alex?" He asked.

"I'm an FBI agent," Alex answered.

Antonio smiled and said, "Oh, did you just graduate today like Ali?" "Uh, no. I graduated last year. I work in the criminal department," Alex told him.

"Well, did you know Ali is also taking classes in Forensics?" "Yes, I did, sir."

"Dad, Alex has a degree in Biology," Ali informed him. Antonio smiled and seemed to be very impressed.

"Well, that is wonderful. Hopefully Ali will finish soon so she can work the much safer Forensics part of the FBI," Antonio said.

"Dad," Ali said, obviously a little irritated that her dad treated her like a baby. "I can take care of myself, you know."

"Yeah, she had to grow up with us," Jude said gesturing to himself and Brendan. "She plays a mean game of basketball."

"I know," Alex said. "She always beats me."

"That's right. And I will continue to beat you," Ali joked with them.

"Say will you come over for Christmas?" Katarina asked Alex.

"Honey, I'm sure Alex has a family to spend Christmas with," Antonio said. There was a silent moment before Alex said, "I would like very much to spend Christmas with you."

***

Washington Hospital

"You sick bastard!" She sneered at me. It caught me off guard and I couldn't understand what brought the look of pure horror on Scully's face. I gave her a questioning look but I'm sure I also looked shocked.

"How dare you insult one of the best agents to ever come out of the academy!" She says and that's when I realize what she is talking about.

Calmy I look at her and say, "I'm not lying, Scully."

"Yes, you are! Agent Danez was one of the best agents and--" "I know that!" I yell, but regret it when the pain shoots through my chest.

I close my eyes and take in a deep breathe while silently begging the tears not to fall.

"I know that," I breathe. "You taught her," I look at Scully and she is just listening to me. I can tell she is fighting hard not to believe. "She used to talk about you a lot. You were her favorite, you know. You were her mentor."

"She would never..." Scully begins. "Never..."

"Be with a man like me?" I ask and when she looks up at me I know that is what she was going to say. She looks down at her feet, not wanting to say it because Scully is the type of person who doesn't like insulting people and she is afraid she is insulting me by confirming what I said. If only she knew I understand that I deserve it. If only she knew how much she reminded me of Ali.

"I remember you," I begin. "Halloween night I ran right into you on the way to her room. I helped you pick up your things."

This catches her attention and she looks back up at me. "It's just a coincidence. It doesn't mean she even knew you."

"I was dressed up as Guy," I chuckle as I look back on the memory. "We were going as Rosemary and Guy from Rosemary's baby. She even bought a doll and decorated it to look evil."

By the look on Scully's face I know that she just realized I'm telling the truth.

"Why are you telling me this?" She breathes, she is on the verge of tears. I never knew that Ali meant so much to her.

"I don't know. I guess to prove to you I'm telling the truth," I say. "No, I mean everything. Why are you telling me about your life with her?" She asks.

I stare up at the ceiling and sigh. I can feel the tears welling up. I look over at her and say as best as I can with my voice cracking, "Because Mulder is going to get what he wants."

"What does Mulder want?" She asks.

A tear falls down my cheek as I say, "I'm going to die, Scully."

She starts to say something, but I stop her.

"You're a doctor, Scully. I've been shot fatally. You know it and I feel it. If Mulder knew everything you are about to know then he'd know what it feels like being me," I say to her.

The silence between us feels like it goes on for an eternity. She is thinking and thinking hard. She paces around the hospital room and all I can do is wait for her response. She finally walks up to me and says, "Tell me."

Scully brings a tissue and wipes away my tears. "A few months later, in the summer after she graduated we moved in together. We did everything together. Even though we weren't partners we still worked on the cases together. If she had the case I was the backup. If I had the case she was the backup. It was our way of protecting each. Like you two, the infamous Mulder and Scully, were were Krycek and Danez."

"No wonder," I hear Scully say under her breathe.

"No, wonder what?" I ask.

Scully looks up at me and says, "I...um...occasionally checked up on Ali's work in the FBI. So, when you said you two worked together I never remembered hearing about you. But, you said you were only back up in each others cases."

"Protection," I tell her and she nods.

"Right. But, that is why I never knew about you," she says. "'She was partnered with Jackson for a while, right?" I nod.

It's uncontrollable and I can't stop it as my eyes begin to close. I barely even feel the, what I'm guessing as, violent tugging that Scully does as she screams in my ear, "Krycek! Krycek!"

But, right now it's only a whisper and it's fading to lesser.

Now, I can't even hear them but they are played him my head because I know she is still screaming it. I can only hear the loud BEEEEEEEEP and I can feel little earth quakes on my chest. There is a warmness there. Sort of like when you eat hot soup on a cold morning. But, it's not comforting because I feel like my whole body is shaking.

That's when I realize what's going on.

Although emotionally my heart died with Ali, now it is dying physically.

***

Scully's apartment 1995

Before I can say anything he shoots.

That's one thing I hate about partners.

I look over at Cardinal before walking over to the body lying on the floor. When I look down I see the face of Melissa Scully. I close my eyes.

We have failed.

Why don't I feel upset?

"Alexei?"

My eyes open quickly and I look around frantically. Then I see her. She is standing across from me looking down at Melissa.

She looks up at me and says, "Alexei."

"Ali," I begin but its as if I said nothing.

"What are you doing?" She asks with curiosity. It wasn't hostile though. It's one of those questions they ask when you are sitting down at the table doing taxes or something regular like that.

I can't think of what to say. I am being an accomplice to a muder? I can't like to Ali because she would be able to see right through me. When I open my mouth I can feel air hitting my face as I say to her, "I'm playing."

She looks confused like she doesn't understand what playing is.

"Like a game?" She asks.

I nod.

She looks down at the body of Melissa Scully again. That's when I notice that Luis is roaming around the apartment in the exact same way as he did that night not even noticing that I'm standing here talking to the ghost of my dead girlfriend.

This is a dream...

"Do you think this is a game?" She asks me.

"What?" I say although I know what she means.

"Killing."

"I didn't kill her," I point out.

"But, you were going to," she says.

She looks at me with a very strange expression and I look down at Melissa.

"A daughter...a sister..." She says. "An innocent."

"That's not fair," I say.

"What isn't fair? What? That I am just stating the truth. That's what this woman is...or was. Do you think it was fair to her? Do you think that she deserved to die?" She asks me.

"Casualties of war," I shrug.

"What about me?"

That's when my head jerks up to look at her. "Oh God, Ali I never meant that!"

"Is that what Dana would say? That her sister was just a casualty of war?"

"Ali--"

"Did she deserve to die?" She asks me again.

"...No," I finally say. "But, it was an accident. We were sent to kill Dana Scully."

"Oh, right I'm sorry it was an accident," she says, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"She was in the wrong place at the wrong time," I say.

"Oh, I stand corrected," she says with more sarcasm. "So, I guess then Dana Scully deserves to die?"

"...Ali--"

"Does she deserve to die? Does she deserve to be violated with experiments and abductions?" She asks.

"...That's not for me to decide," I say.

"Do I deserve this? Are you just going to stand there and let them do that to me?" She asks.

"Ali," I plead.

"I am just at the wrong place at the wrong time? Am I in love with the wrong person? Am I an accident? ANSWER ME!"

"Ali, stop," I say, tears are streaming down my face. She steps over the body and jabs a finger at me.

"ANSWER ME! AM I? DO I DESERVE THIS? AM I A FUCKING GAME?" She yells at me.

"Ali, please, you know that I never wanted any of this for you," I tell her.

"Alex Krycek, how does it feel?" She asks me.

"How does what feel?" I ask.

That's when I notice a gun appear in her hand.

She'll shoot me...

I know it...

"How does it feel to be played?" She asks and raises the gun to her head. I lunge at her and yell, "No, NO!"

I stop when she throws her head back and laughs wildly. "Bang," she whispers at me. "Bang, bang, bang. BANG!"

A cigarrette appears in her other hand and my eyes fixate on it. I watch as she raises it to her lips and when I see her face it isn't her anymore. It's the Cigarrette smoking bastard.

"Goodnight, Alex," he says and shoot me in the heart.

***

Washington DC 9:23 AM 34 South Highway

Scully took in a deep breathe as she continued to drive through the rainstorm towards her destination. It was raining so hard she could barely see. In fact, it's dangerous and she probably shouldn't be doing this. She could get into an accident. But, this wouldn't stop Mulder from any of his quest and right now she was on a quest.

She closed her eyes and took in a deep breathe. The nerves were killing her. I have to be brave, she told herself.

But, it's been so long since I've been there.

The ring of her cell phone startled her from her thoughts. She grabbed the phone and hesitated clicking the on button as if it could be a bomb ready to blow up in her face.

She clicked the on button and brought the phone to her ear. "Scully," she said, her voice shaking.

"Scully, it's me."

Only one person answered with 'Scully, it's me.' Scully smiled with relief as she heard her partners voice.

"Are you alright, Scully?" He asked noticing the shakiness in her voice.

"I'm fine. The rainstorm is just getting on my nerves," she answered. Silence.

"Mulder?" She asked.

"I'm here," he said. "Are you still at the hospital?"

"No," Scully said. "I'm on the road."

"Oh...Scully, are you angry with me?" He asked and Scully knew what he was talking about.

Are you angry at me for shooting Krycek was what he should have said.

"It was unprofessional and you can get in a lot of trouble for it," she said.

"That's not an answer," he said. "Are you angry?"

"You mean do I think what you did was wrong?" She asked.

There was a silence before he answered, "Yeah."

"Well, Mulder..." She didn't know what to say. What did she think? She sighed and said, "I guess he deserved it."

"True, but that doesn't mean what I did was right," he said.

"I don't know what to say, Mulder," she said.

"Did you talk to him? Did you find out why he was there last night?" He asked.

"I..." Yeah she talked to him, but she never thought to ask what he was doing there. Of course, given the chance he may have told her. "I...didn't get a chance to speak with him."

"Do you want me to do it?" Mulder asked.

"Mulder, you just shot the man and you expect me to let you interrogate him," she said.

"Scully, he deserved it. He shot my father," Mulder said.

We don't know that, Mulder. But, of course Scully didn't say that. "Mulder,

I don't think you can talk to him anymore." "Is he dead?" Mulder asked.

"I left while they were doing CPR. I don't know, but I can say it doesn't look good," she said.

"The only thing I regret is not finding out why he was there last night," Mulder said.

So much hostility, Scully thought to herself.

But, she didn't have time to discuss this with Mulder. She pulled up to the house and looked through her files to make sure she had the right address.

"Mulder, I have to go."

"Why? What are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm working on a case," she answered.

"What about?" He asked.

"It's not an X-File," she answered.

"Scully, you've said that before and they usually turn out to be X-Files," he said, a slight hint of amusement in his voice.

How can he be amused right now? She didn't understand it.

He doesn't know what you know, Dana.

"I'll let you know if it tuns out to be an X-File," she said and before he could respond she turned off the phone.

Slowly she got out of the car and tried to relax as she walked nervously up the steps towards the front door.

"This is stupid," she told herself. "They'll probably slam the door in my face."

She took in a deep breathe and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" The sound of the old mans voice called through the door.

"Uh..." Scully fought to find her voice. "My name is Special Agent Dana

Scully. I was wondering if I could speak with you." Silence.

Then she heard the clicks of the man unlocking the door. It opened slowly and the older man just stared at her in amazement.

Scully felt like she was going to burst into tears. Just by looking at the man you could tell that he was once happy but that his happiness was taken away from him and he was trying to make the best of what he had left.

He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, "Scully, it's been...God, how long?"

"Years," she said as she hugged him tightly.

He let go of her and gestured for her to come in the house. "Honey, guess who is here?" He called out to his wife.

His wife came into the living room and as soon as she saw Scully her eyes brightened and she gave Scully a hug. "Oh my God, Dana! It's been so long!" She said and let go of her.

"I'm sorry," was all Scully could say.

"Why haven't you come by to see us?" She asked Scully.

Scully looked down and closed her eyes before looking back up at the woman, "I guess...it was just hard."

The woman nodded in understanding.

"Please, sit down," the man said. Scully went over to the couch and sat down.

The man and wife sat across from her and there was a silence before anyone spoke.

"I take it this isn't a social call, Special Agent Scully," he said.

"Well, Mr. Danez, it is and it isn't," Scully began.

"Does this have anything to do with Ali?" His wife, Katarina, asked.

Scully nodded, "Yes."

Both Katarina and Antonio took in a deep sigh and Scully could just feel the sadness in the room.

"I'm sorry that I haven't come by to see you, but sometimes I feel like..." Scully couldn't even finish it because she was on the verge of crying.

"You didn't fail her," Katarina said. "You taught her well. That is why she was one of the best agents. What happened was just..." Katarina couldn't even say because if she did she'd be accepting that her daughter was gone and even after so many years Katarina wasn't ready to do that.

Antonio gave his wife a comforting hug and whispered, "It's OK, sweetheart." He looked back at Scully.

"So, why don't you tell us what it is about Ali you need to talk to us about," Antonio said.

"Well, sir...was...Was Ali seeing someone?" Scully asked. Antonio and Katarina gave Scully a questioning look because of the strange question. Antonio's eyes went up as he thought about it.

"Well, she did have a boyfriend. He was also an FBI agent. His name was Alex Krycek," Antonio said.

Scully closed her eyes at the answer. She could no longer deny what Alex told her in the hospital.

"You don't suspect Alex, do you?" Katarina asked. "Because those two...they were so in love."

"No, I don't suspect Alex. It's just....More information couldn't hurt," Scully said.

"Alex was a good man," Antonio said. "And he loved Ali so much."

"I just...I didn't know she was seeing someone," Scully said. "I used to check up on her and I didn't know."

"Well, the truth is that Ali and Alex worked together on every case, but when it came to working together they were Special Agents Krycek and Danez. In fact, most people that worked with them didn't know they were together. It was only socially that they were Ali and Alex the couple," Antonio said.

"Has Alex talked to you since what happened?" Scully asked.

"Well, he never came to the memorial service," Katarina said. "The only time after what happened that one us of came in contact with him was when our son, Jude, called to tell him what happened. A few days after the funeral I went to Ali's grave I saw him there, on his knees with her favorite flowers in his hand and he was sobbing." Scully could tell Katarina was very saddened by the memory. "He never knew I saw him there. I just couldn't interrupt his time with Ali."

"He never talked to you after that?" Scully asked.

Katarina shook her head, "I guess, like you, it was hard. And we never tried to contact him because for us it was also hard. He was a reminder."

"Is Alex alright?" Antonio asked.

"I don't know," Scully said, honestly.

"Why do you want to know all this?" Katarina asked.

"I'm...I just came upon some new information that could help with Ali's case," Scully said. It wasn't a lie.

"What is it?"

"I hope you understand that for your own protection I have to keep it to myself right now. But, I swear to you when I finally know what's going on I will tell you," Scully said.

"Thank you, Dana," Katarina said.

Scully stood up and headed for the door. "I'll be in touch."

"Thank you again." They said and she walked out the door. Scully took her cell phone out and clicked the on button.

The screen read, 2 new messages. "Geez, Mulder," She said as she clicked to listen to the messages.

Beep: Scully, it's me. Why did you hang up like that? Call me. Mulder.

Beep: Agent Scully, this is Doctor Silverstone at Washington Hospital. Alex

Krycek is conscious and is asking for you. Please give us a call or come by.

***

Washington Hospital 10:58 A.M.

"Thought I was dead, didn't you?" Alex whispered when Scully appeared by his side.

"Alex, I went and saw Ali's parents just now," she said.

"How are they?" He asked.

"They are fine. They kept asking about you," she said.

"What did you tell them," he asked.

"That I didn't know," she said. Scully took a cloth and wiped some of the sweat off of Alex's face. "You have a fever. You should rest."

"I need to finish telling you," he said.

"Alex, you need to rest. You are stressed right now," she told him.

"Scully, I'll rest when my mission is finished," he said. Scully sighed.

She didn't want to argue with him because he'd only get upset and besides he wasn't going to give up.

"Go ahead."

***

May 1993

"Alex!" Ali yelled as she stepped in the door. She rolled her eyes as she started to pick up the clothes and other various things that were scattered around the apartment. "I leave for a few days and it looks like a tornado hit," she muttered.

She was startled when Alex came out of the room and scooped her up in his arms. "You are finally back!"

"Yeah, and look at this mess. I swear if it wasn't for me you'd probably lose your head," she joked.

"That I would," he said and kissed her. "So, how was your very first case?"

"It was...weird," she admitted.

"Why do you say that?" He asked as they sat down on the couch together.

"Well, I can't really explain it. But, we never solved it. They turned the case over to a new division they created called, The X-Files," she said.

"Oh yeah, that's with that Spooky guy, right?" Alex asked.

"Agent Mulder? Yeah, he is really nice though," she said. "My supervisor called me into his office and there was this other guy there. I don't even remember his name, but he looked real gross. He was smoking a cigarette and as soon as he'd finish it he'd light up again. I thought I was going to barf," she said.

"Geez, I don't even smoke that much," he said, honestly.

"Thank God. You don't smoke that much and I still get sick around the smell. But, if you smoked as much as he did...Well, I don't know," she said.

"You get sick because of the smell?" He asked.

"Well, only right after you finish one I can smell it. It's real strong and it gives me a headache," she told him.

"Ali, why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, because..." She stood up and paced a little. This was one disadvantage to being a person who was against smoking and drinking.

"Go ahead," he urged.

"Alex, you know I am against smoking and drinking. I don't like it at all, but when it comes to other people...especially you, I don't want to tell you to stop," she said.

"Why not?" He asked.

She sat back down next to him. "Because, I don't want to be one of those girlfriends who tries to change her boyfriend. I have my flaws and you don't try to change me, so I don't want to do it to you. Besides, I love you just the way you are," she told him.

He smiled and kissed her. "I love you," he whispered in her ear.

"I love you, too."

"I'm going to stop smoking," he told her.

"Alex, did you hear a word I just said to you?" She asked.

"It's OK. I've always wanted to stop. I just needed a reason and now I have one. No more smoking for Alex Krycek," he told her.

"Thanks," she said as she rested her head on his chest.

"So, why did the supervisor call you into his office today?" Alex asked.

"Him and that smoker guy wanted to know if I'd be interested in being Mulder's partner in the X-Files," she said.

"What authority did that smoker guy have?" Alex asked.

"I don't know. He was there saying that he was impressed with my knowledge for Forensics and Biology," she told him. "And he said that they needed someone with a scientific background for the X-Files."

"So, what did you tell them?"

"I told them that I wasn't too experienced yet and that I really liked working in the criminal department. I also told him that my old teacher, Dana

Scully, is a doctor so maybe they'd think about assigning her to the X-Files with Mulder," she said.

"And what'd they say?" He asked.

"They didn't say much after that. So, I guess they will think about it," she said. "I am so tired." She yawned. "That case really burned me out."

Alex picked her up and carried her to the bedroom so she could sleep comfortably.

***

12:01 PM Washington Hospital

"Scully!"

Scully looked up as she exited the hospital room to see Mulder walking towards her. "Mulder," she said. "Where have you been?"

"In trouble," he answered.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I don't know yet. They are coming down here soon to speak with Krycek," he said.

"I don't think that is possible," she said.

"Why not? I've been here for almost 30 minutes and you were in there the whole time. What did you talk to him about?" Mulder asked.

"Mulder..." Should she tell him? Hmm..."He was delirious. He wasn't saying much."

"Oh, did he tell you anything useful?" Mulder asked.

"No, he just went unconscious again. Mulder, he's dying," Scully said and you could hear the sadness in her voice.

"Am I supposed to be upset by this information?" Mulder asked.

"Why do you hold so much hostility towards this man?" Scully asked, incredulously.

"Why not? He shot my father. He killed your sister. Why aren't you upset," Mulder asked.

"We don't know if he really shot them," Scully answered. Mulder was taken aback by Scully's response. Why did she all of a sudden have a change of heart. "So, we just treat him like an old friend? He may not have shot Melissa and my father, but we sure as hell know he worked for

Cancer man," Mulder said.

Scully rolled her eyes. She just needed to take a break. "Mulder, you know what? I need a break, OK. Call me if he wakes up."

"Where are you going?" Mulder asked.

"I'm working on a case," she answered.

"Ah yes, and what might this case be about?" He asked. Scully didn't have to lie about this one, "Well, I've recently come upon some new information into helping solve an old case concerning a fellow FBI Agent of mine."

"Do I know him?"

"Her. And no you don't. I have to go, Mulder. Bye," she said and left. As soon as she was in the parking lot she took her cell phone out and began to dial.

"Agent Johnson," the voice said.

"Hi, Agent Johnson, this is Agent Scully. Is this the criminal department?" She asked.

"Yes, Agent Scully," he responded.

"OK, do you have an agent there named Duane Jackson?" She asked.

"Yes, ma'am. Do you need to speak with him?"

"Yes, would you get him for me?"

"Yes, ma'am, hold on."

Scully opened the door to her car and sat inside while she waited for the man to answer.

"Scully."

Scully jumped when she saw Mulder next to her. "Goddamnit, Mulder you scared me," she said.

"Apparently," he responded.

"What do you need?" She asked.

"I've decided to help you out with this case. Two agents are better than one. And I don't want to leave--" he stopped when Scully waved a hand to shut him up.

"Hi, this Special Agent Scully, I was wondering if I could speak with you today," she said into the phone.

"What about Agent Scully?" Duane asked.

"It's regarding your ex partner," she said. There was an uncomfortable silence before he responded.

"Agent Danez?" He asked.

"Yes, I...I've come across some new information to help with her case," Scully said.

"You mean something that could help with her disappearance?" He asked. Scully skimmed madly through her files and then answered, "Disappearance? In the files it says she entered a building that blew up. There was no way she could have survived that," Scully said.

It was about 2 or 3 minutes before Duane answered again. But, his answer was brief.

"Meet me at Starbucks on Coral Road. 2:30 P.M. Sharp...don't be late." Click.

"What the hell?" Scully mumbled.

"Scully, is everything all right?" Mulder asked.

Until he said something Scully had forgotten he was standing there. She looked up at him and said, "Everything is fine, Mulder."

"You sounded a bit spooked by whoever it was you were talking to on the phone. What happened?" He asked.

"Mulder, I need to do this alone. It's...a personal case," she said. "Well, then may I suggest that I do work with you. Scully, if its personal then your feelings could get in the way of rational thinking," he answered. "It's not personal for me. It's personal for someone else," she said.

"Explain that."

"I'm doing this for a...colleague. So, I'm not a lone in working the case. I'm...working with someone else," she said. Hey, it wasn't a lie. Krycek was after all supplying plenty of information.

"All right, but if you need anything promise to call me," he said. "I promise," she answered.

"All right, be safe," he said and shut the door for her as she started the car and drove off.

***

December 13th, 1993

"Did you tell your parents yet?" Alex asked when Ali stepped into the kitchen.

"About what?" She asked.

He came up to her and pulled her into a hug. He smiled as he said, "Don't even play like that. You know exactly what." He tapped her engagement ring.

"Oh that," she said."

"'Oh that,'" he mimicked. "So, you didn't tell them yet."

"No, I haven't told them yet," she said honestly.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Are you kidding me? My dad is going to flip when he finds out we are getting married," she said.

"And why is that?"

"If you haven't noticed, you're Russian. I'm Puerto Rican," she told him. "Wow, you know I never knew I was Russian and you were Puerto Rican tell you just mentioned it," he said.

"Don't joke," she said.

"Ali, your dad likes me. He hasn't had a problem with it and if he has he never said anything," he told her.

"Yeah, but you and I weren't getting married then. The only reason why he didn't mind is because he figured you and I would date a while then break up," she said.

"How do you know?"

"I overheard him once talking to my mom. He said something about me being young and that we'd break up and then I'd find a nice Puerto Rican man to settle down with," she said. "He said it last Christmas after he first met you."

"OK, but it's been a year. I'm positive he's changed his mind about it. I mean come on your dad and I hang out sometimes even. Ali, trust me when I say that I don't think he thinks that way anymore," he said to her.

"I guess you're right," she said. "But, my Aunts and Uncles won't be happy. Last time I dated a white guy my Aunt Lissette was angry and asked me what was wrong with Puerto Rican men. And then when I dated a Puerto Rican guy, my other Aunt said it'd be nicer for me to marry a white guy. I just can't win with them," she exclaimed.

Alex pulled her into another hug and kissed her forehead, "So don't try to win with them. All that matters is that you win with yourself. My mom always said that when you fall in love you should only answer to each other and not everyone else," he said.

"Your mom is an intelligent woman," she said.

"Yes, she was," Alex whispered.

"Alex, how come I've never met your parents? You never even talk about them," she said to him.

"It's a long story," he told her. "Lots of things I would never want our future children to go through."

"Will you tell me?"

He pulled out of her embrace and thought about the subject. Then as he stared and fingered the necklace she was wearing he began to talk, "Well, my mother...had me when she was only 15 years old. And 3 years later she married my father. My father was in the Russian army and...he always resented my mother. I guess because she got pregnant. He blamed her for ruining his life. He wanted to be a doctor but settled for the army to support the family. When I was around 5 years old he started to verbally abuse her and by the time I was 6 he physically abused her. I remember once she was pregnant and he got angry with her and he beat her very badly in front of me. He...umm...then picked her up and sat her at the bottom of the stairs so that when the ambulance came they would think she just fell down the stairs. He never even said sorry when she had a miscarriage."

Ali looked down, an apparent sad look on her face. "I don't know what to say. That's horrible."

"It is. Especially when a child sees it all happen. You know the funny thing is that when he did that I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he killed my little brother or sister. And I knew I never wanted to be like him. I vowed to always make sure the woman I fell in love with would never get hurt...ever," he said. He lifted Ali's chin to look him in the eyes. "You know I'd never hurt you, right? You know I'd do anything to keep your safe, right?"

"And I'd do the same," she said and hugged him tightly. "What happened to your mother?"

"One day, she got tired of it all. So, she packed up, got me, and we ran away while my father was at work. We came to America. She died when I was 19 from Cancer," he said.

"Cancer?"

"Yeah, it was really unexpected. She first got the cancer when I was 17 years old. Then it went into remission. They said she'd be fine. Then all of a sudden when I was 19 it popped up again and a month after they discovered it's resurface she died," he said.

"I'm so sorry, Alex. She sounded like a really tough woman," Ali whispered.

"She was. I guess that is why I love you so much. Because, you remind me so much of her," he told her.

Ali smiled. "Normally, a woman would take that as an insult. But, I am very honored."

Alex smiled. "You're silly."

"But, you still love me."

"Yeah, I can see who is going to where the pants in this marriage," he joked.

"You'll still wear the pants. I'll just tell you what color...and what kind. Kakhi's are cool," she said and laughed with him.

"Oh, I hate kakhi's," he said.

"You hate anything that isn't jeans," she said to him.

***

December 25th, 1993

"Ali, are you almost ready?" Alex yelled to Ali, who was still dressing in the bedroom.

"Hold your horses. Jeez," she yelled back.

"Let's make it snappy," he told her. "And don't forget my presents."

Ali decided then to walk out in jeans, a Christmas sweater, and a smile as she said, "What makes you think I got you anything?" Alex just smiled.

"Alex, you didn't go and find the hiding place again, did you?" She said. "You spoiled all the surprises I had for your birthday a few months ago."

"Hey, I never did guess the surprise you gave me that night, did I?" He asked her.

She just smiled at him then became serious again, "Did you find my new hiding place for your presents?"

"Relax. Although I am a Special Agent and could find any hiding place you conjure up I promised you a few months ago that I wouldn't spoil the Christmas surprises," he told her.

"Whatever. Anyway, I do have one present for you that you can open now before we get to my parents house," she said.

He started to jump up like a little boy and said, "Ooh...gimme gimme!"

"You're impossible," she rolled her eyes as she handed him the wrapped box.

He ripped through the wrapping in seconds and opened the box. His eyes widened as he pulled out the Black leather jacket.

"Oh shit!" He exclaimed. "This is awesome. You must've paid a fortune."

"Don't worry how much I paid for it," she said as she helped him put it on. "I saw it in the store and said to myself 'now my man is going to look sexy in the badass leather jacket.' So, I had to get it." When he put the jacket on he posed for her in it and said, "So, am I voguing?"

"Far from it. But, you look good," she said and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, Ali. I love it," he told her. "Now, I have your present."

"Oohh...yeah yeah yeah!" She said happily as he handed her a poorly wrapped box.

"All right, close your eyes," he instructed.

"Why? I didn't make you close your eyes," she said, pouting.

"Yeah, but my gift was wrapped," he pointed out.

"OK, OK," she said and closed her eyes.

A few seconds later she felt Alex grab her hand and set it on top of something cold and slimy. "Ohmygod, what is that?" She said and opened her eyes. Her mouth dropped when she saw the baby Turtle in his hands, "He is so cute."

"You said you wanted a pet," he said to her.

"I love it," she said and she hugged him then took the turtle into her hand.

"What will you name him?" Alex asked.

"Donatello," she said, without hesitation.

Alex laughed, "The ninja turtles!"

"Yup."

Alex kissed her once more before grabbing their things. "Come on. We'll be late to getting to your parents house."

TBC

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Andaluchia.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.