Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-01-13
Words:
1,171
Chapters:
2/2
Kudos:
22
Hits:
1,844

Johnny's Understanding

Summary:

New Captain John Gage reflects on his relationship with three Captains

Chapter 1: Page 1

Notes:

Rating: PG
Pairing: N/A
Archive: Yes
Fandom: Emergency!
Summary: New Captain John Gage reflects on his relationship with three Captains
Content Warning: Harsh language.
Copyright: August 2001 By Robin R. Neher
THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.
THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Chapter Text

Johnny's Understanding
by Robin R. Neher

The day had come too fast for Johnny Gage. He felt his life changing forever as he stood outside station 86. Johnny was facing the biggest challenge of his career as a firefighter. Just a few days ago, he'd been a Paramedic with station 51, now he was a brand new Captain, just starting out in command.

Walking inside 86's, John wished that he was back at 51's with Roy and the other guys. He'd felt safe there. Now the decisions were on his shoulders. John went directly to station 86's lockeroom to change. As he dressed, John was saddened by the absence of the paramedic patch from his shoulder and the white name tag being replaced with a black one that just read, GAGE.

I'm just a fireman again. Johnny realized as he pinned on the silver bugles, the insignia of a Captain in the LaCoFd onto his lapel. As tears filled Johnny's brown eyes, he felt a hand on his
shoulder.

"You okay, Hon?" A tall, willowy woman asked.

Johnny turned to see his wife of six months, Lisa, standing behind him. He smiled at how her pregnancy was showing.

"I'm okay, Hon. I just feel sorta sad." Johnny told his love.

"About leaving the Paramedics?" Lisa guessed.

"Lisa, I loved being a Paramedic!" John sobbed.

"Honey, I know you did, but with your bad knees, you just can't be one anymore." Lisa reminded him. A paramedic must be able to climb ladders and other things. I know you're sad, but think about our Son having his father around to see him grow."

"A boy? Really?" Johnny smiled.

"Just got back from the doctor's." His wife smiled, getting the ultrasound pictures out of her purse and handing them to her husband.

"YYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOO!!!!!" Johnny yelled, happily, his voice echoing throughout the empty station. "John Roderick Gage Junior! Boy, that has a nice ring to it!"

"I like it too." Lisa smiled. "Hon?"

"I wish Hank Stanley were here now." John sadly stated.

"Honey, I'm sure Chief Stanley is proud of you. I'll just bet he's at headquarters right now, bragging about you." Lisa grinned. "John, the time was right, it's time to be a Captain now. No
more holding out."

"But, how do I know I'll be a good Captain?" Johnny worried.

"You won't know unless you try." His wife shrugged. "I'm sure Hank felt the same way when he first arrived at 51's.

"I remember when he and I first met." Johnny chuckled.

________

TEN YEARS AGO, STATION FIFTY-ONE........

Paramedic John Gage was late for work. Roll call was fixing to start and was he was rushing to change into uniform. Once dressed, Johnny ran and slid into line beside Roy.

"You're late." The new Cap scowled.

"Sorry, Sir. Overslept." Young Johnny stammered. "Fireman John Gage reporting for duty."

"Forget it, Fireman Gage!" Captain Stanley replied. "How long have you been a fireman?"

"Four years, Sir!" Johnny replied, his tone sarcastic.

"You've been in the fire service for four years and you don't even know what time roll call starts?" New Captain Stanley asked. "I'm disappointed in you, Gage. A veteran such as yourself should know to be here and in uniform by eight sharp."

Johnny hung his head as the rest laughed at him

"Gage, I want us to have a good working relationship, but you didn't start off on the right foot. If you can't be on time, then don't bother showing up." Hank told the young medic.

"Fine," Johnny muttered, leaving the bay.

Johnny cursed as he went into the lockeroom, changed into, civvies, then left the station.

______

PRESENT DAY, STATION EIGHTY-SIX.......

"He did have a point." Lisa agreed. "You coming in late was disruptive to the other guys."

"He didn't have to humiliate me that way!" John shuddered.

"Honey, think about it. You'd been there long enough to know to be ready to go to work at eight sharp." His wife calmly countered. "People depend on you to be there when those tones sound."

"Looking back, he was right." Johnny grudgingly admitted.

"He was." Lisa agreed. "As your Captain, Hank could not afford to let you get by with that. The others would've thought they could be tardy too."

"Captain Hookrader was worse!" Johnny grimaced. "He always worked us to death everytime we fucking got him!"


END PART 1