Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
847
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
6
Kudos:
6
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
1,393

Music's Release

Summary:

Website:no
Permission to archive: yes
Fandom(s): NCIS
Genre: gen
Pairing/Characters: Tony
Rating: Gen
Warning: My first NCIS fic... unbeta'd and all mistakes are my own.
Summary: What I thought happened after the screen faded to black...
Submitted through the NavyNCISslash2 mailing list.

Work Text:

Music's Release
by Barb

There was no way that he could accept a dinner invitation from Ziva after that smug look. The funny thing about the whole situation was that he really wasn't that upset at being left out. After all there was no law that said that Anthony DiNozzo had to be invited to her party. It was free country, and if David didn't want to invite him, then she didn't have to. We were partners not best friends. She hadn't earned that appellation. She wasn't Kate.

It was the smug look that bothered him, like she wanted him to hurt, to feel left out. 'Nope. I'm not going to play that game with her.' With that thought clear in his mind, Tony expertly wiggled himself out of the dinner invitation and quickly left the office and called a cab.

Once in the taxi, Tony removed the sling and gave the driver an address. Thinking back on the faces of his coworkers when he turned down Ziva's offer, he had to laugh. He was positive that they didn't believe him when he said he had a prior commitment tonight, true though it might be. His destination was all that mattered tonight.

Fifteen mintues later, Tony smiled as he walked into the tiny bar and nodded a friendly greeting to the waitress.

"Hey T, wasn't sure if you were you coming tonight," Stan, the bartender and owner, said as he served Tony his usual.

"Stan you wound me. You know I'd call if I couldn't make it." DiNozzo replied with a smirk.

Tony loved this little hole in the wall bar. Not in the slightest bit trendy or hip, the small joint wasn't a dive either. The patrons were from all walks of life and had been coming here for years. One rarely saw a newby. Anthony discovered the place by accident and had been coming here ever since.

Taking a sip of his cola, Tony moved away from the bar and headed towards the stage. On the way he stopped and chatted with some of the regulars, both teasing and being teased in return.

Finally he reached the stage and sat before the piano. Thinking about what he had told Ziva when they were locked in the container, he grimmaced. He hadn't lied when he said that his skills were hard won. His old teacher was quite the harridan, but extremely talented at the piano and he had learned everything he could from her, despite the wrapped knuckles when he got something wrong. She had told him he'd never make it to the bigtime, but he wouldn't be an embarrassement to her either. High praise from one who had at one time played before kings and queens.

The crowd noticed his appearance and the volume of the place lowered in anticipation. Flexing his fingers, Tony ran a quiet scale to warm up and began to play. There was never any set routine, and he rarely took requests, but the crowd didn't care, they just wanted to hear him play.

Tonight, Tony was in the mood for the blues and as the music drew him in, he let go of all the stress of the day.

Stan watched from his place at the bar and smiled. He didn't know what the kid did for a living, and Tony would never say, but no matter how much he cajoled he could never convince him to give up whatever day job he had and come work for him full time. The man had a gift and it was a shame that he didn't use it. Of course that wasn't the only reason he wanted Tony to work for him. The barman genuinely liked the young man, and harbored some hope that one day the kid would say yes and Stan would have someone to leave the place to.

Caught up in the magic that he wove from the ivories, neither Tony nor the crowd realized that two hours had passed until his fingers rebelled. He looked up and grinned. The music, and the crowds appreciation of his skills, never failed to make him feel better.

Walking over to Stan he gratefully took the glass of cola offered, "Thanks." he said as he took a deep drink.

"Don't mention it kid, I called you a cab, should be here in about ten minutes." Stan told the young man, "when you going to take me up on my offer?" he once again made his pitch.

Tony tilted his head and thought about the events of today. "Had a pretty shitty run lately, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel. When I am, you'll be the first one to know." And once said, he realized that it was true. Snarky coworkers, and tough assignments aside, he wasn't ready to quit... yet.

fini