Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-01-04
Words:
3,452
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
1
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,771

A Drabble with a Tale

Summary:

Chapter one is a 500 word drabble that gives us a glimpse of an elderly Harry and Draco as they wait for their family to come home for Christmas Eve.

In chapter two, on that same night, Harry and Draco’s daughter looks back and shares a candid, at times poignant, account of life with her two famous fathers.

Chapter 1: Love Endures

Chapter Text

Written for the Hex Files December challenge: Write a 500 word holiday drabble, including the words snow, mistletoe and gift.

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by J. K. Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoat Books and Warner Brothers, Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Beta: Thanks to Constant Vigilance for her eagle eye!

Love Endures

Draco looked up and there, reflected in the glass, was Harry descending the long staircase, taking one slow step at a time. Draco knew better than to offer his assistance - Harry hated being mollycoddled and would quickly refuse any help, no matter how bad the pain was. The Healers had said that the nerve damage from repeated Cruciatus Curses would worsen as the years went by. The diagnosis had, unfortunately, been correct. Draco stood silently as if still staring out the window, but in fact, his eyes closely followed his husband's progress.

Making his way to Draco's side, Harry said, "You didn't sleep long, love."

"Couldn't - too excited. Feeling any better?" Harry shook his head. "Let me get your potion for you then."

"No, Draco. You know it makes me feel funny. The grandchildren don't deserve a crabby granddad, especially on Christmas Eve. I'll be fine."

Draco kissed Harry's forehead and said, "Promise me you'll take it if it gets worse?"

"I promise. What were you looking at?"

"The snow. Does it remind you of anything, Harry?"

Harry peered out the window to see large fluffy snowflakes falling gently to the ground and smiled. "It was snowing like that the night you asked me to marry you."

"You remember," said Draco gently.

"My body might be rubbish but my mind isn't. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. How could I ever forget it, my darling?" Harry embraced Draco and kissed him deeply. "I remember what happened after, too."

"Best sex we'd ever had," added Draco, "up until then, of course."

"It was brilliant," said Harry, his eyes misting over. "I wish...I wish that I could still make love to you like that, Draco."

"Hush now," whispered Draco. "It's enough for me that you still want this wrinkled old arse of mine. We manage, don't we?"

"Yes, but..."

"No buts, Harry. You're all I've ever needed or wanted and that hasn't changed. Okay?"

"Okay," repeated Harry as he snuggled into Draco's arms.

"I miss them, you know. I wish they were all still here," said Draco.

"The kids?"

"Yes."

"Draco, they're all grown up and have children of their own. You can't expect them to stay with their old fathers, can you?"

Draco sighed deeply. "No, but it seems like we never see them anymore."

"We do as often as we can, love. We should be grateful that they are all coming home tonight."

Draco brightened. "Do you think we bought enough gifts?"

"Probably too many."

"A grandfather's prerogative, Harry," sniffed Draco. "And the food?"

"More than enough."

"When are they arriving?"

"Soon, Draco. Anytime now," answered Harry, amused by Draco's excitement. "Come sit by the fire with me."
Harry abruptly stopped under the archway and looked up.

Puzzled, Draco's gaze rose. "Mistletoe!" he exclaimed, capturing Harry's lips.

The embrace was broken by the sound of the Floo. "They're here!" cried Draco. "Happy Christmas, Harry!"

"With my family around me, it will be, my love. Happy Christmas."