Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
12,310
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
2,076

Cursed

Summary:

Jim is cursed and Blair decides to try to help him.

Work Text:

Senior Master of Magical Arts Blair Sandburg followed Police Captain Simon Banks into the Major Crimes bullpen at the Cascade PD. He had met the large police captain downstairs as he had asked the officer at the information desk for directions to Major Crimes. Blair had been somewhat embarrassed about not even knowing what his new boss looked like, but having just moved into Cascade he had a good excuse.  

They moved through the large double doors into a large space filled with desks and chairs, and people.  

”It’s mid-morning so most of the shift is still here, or just back from errands,” Banks explained as they walked to the captain’s office. Blair noticed a few glancing his way, trying to figure out why he was here. Most seemed to have decided that since he was with Banks, everything was okay. 

*** 

Banks opened a door to his office, and stopped just a few steps into it.  

"Jim! What have I told you about sleeping on my couch?" he said sternly.  

Blair looked at the old and soft looking couch. There was a large black panther lying on it, looking at them with half-lidded eyes. The couch was awash with sunlight from the windows and thus made a perfect place for a cat nap.  

The large cat yawned regally.  

Banks shook his head. "Long as you're here, I might as well introduce our new expert in spells."  

He stepped aside. "This is Blair Sandburg, he'll be working as of today." 

The cat rose lazily and jumped off the couch. He walked slowly to Blair and sniffed him.  

Blair looked at the large feline. There was something peculiar about him.  

Jim took one last sniff and turned his head to look at Banks.  

"Now shoo. Might need you tomorrow for the meeting." 

Jim nodded his furry head and walked out the open door. 

"That time of his period?" Blair asked as he watched the cat walk away.  

"Nah, he's permanent."  

"Permanent?" Blair asked, perplexed.  

"Yep," Banks said as he walked to his desk. Blair closed the door and walked to sit on a chair before the paper burdened desk. 

"Jim had been a detective for about two months. He and Rafe were investigating a case when this rogue spell caster decided to try his wares on them. He managed to curse Jim before the backup arrived."  

Blair nodded. "But surely the curse can be lifted?" 

Banks shrugged. "The spellcaster died resisting arrest, and the healers on the scene failed to lift it." 

"And later?"  

"Nothing, not a clue," Banks stated.  

"Now, as for your new duties." 

*** 

SW:  

"And that's it. He's stuck in that form, and no one is trying to do anything about?" Blair asked amazement in his voice. Did I miss something, he thought to himself. 

"Yes, that's it. The spellcasters have looked into it, and they can't help him. It’s a risk we all take when we bring down spellcasters. Officer Rafe was once cursed with warts for three months before the perp relented and removed the curse. It happens." And with that last statement, the subject was closed. 

Blair said nothing more. It was obvious that he wasn't going to get anything more out of the captain. Perhaps the idea frightens him, Blair thought. It could have happened to any of them, even Banks. 

*** 

Outside the captain's office Jim padded through the bullpen ignoring the other police officers. They however did not give him the same courtesy. 

"Hey Jimbo, catch" Henri laughed as he threw a wad of paper at him. It struck Jim's furry shoulder, and the others laughed. "Oops sorry, forgot."   

The laughter continued. Jim heard comments about changing the kitty litter, and keeping an eye out for a scratching post. The jokes were the same, nothing innovative. Jim just sighed and walked on. He pushed the door open with his nose and trotted out into the hallway. His nose also was used to push the elevator button, and when the doors opened Jim carefully threaded his way through the people on it to get inside, careful to watch the others’ feet so that his paws weren't stepped on again. 

Eventually he made his way out of the building and on to the street outside. The people walking down the sidewalk gave him barely a glance, no doubt believing he was a were going through his shifting time. He padded to the busstop and waited amongst other hopeful passengers. When the bus came Jim waited to be the last onto the bus. He stopped in front of the bus driver and lifted his head so the man could see the bus pass attached to the wide leather collar around his neck. The collar also held his ID tags and his badge. There was a pouch on one side that held his debit card. The driver looked at the pass, then nodded. Jim padded to the back of the bus and seated himself on one of the padded benches. The bus closed its doors and drove on. 

*** 

MS: 

He ignored the other passengers. Jim didn't even bother to look out of the bus. When his stop came up he waited until the other passengers got off to follow them out of the bus. He kept his head down. The whiff of the scent of the shelter reminded him that unlike the others he didn't have a home to go to, just a place to stay. 

The were entrance looked like a large 'doggy' door. Jim just sighed. He didn't hear anyone on the other side of the door so he pushed his way inside. 

KA: 

He padded along the rocky floor, his paws silent and his ears twitching. One of the volunteers was comforting a large wolf in the main hall. She seemed distraught.  

Jim glanced at them and nodded at Mrs Panuk at the info desk. She was a large dark skinned woman who could glare down anyone.  

"Hi, Jim. Mark cleaned up your bunk this morning," she told him.  

Jim nodded and walked through the curtained doorway to the back of the shelter.  

There were few weres at that time of day, and moon cycle. There were about two dozen cubicles in all plus a common toilet / litter box room.  

Jim's room was at the back, near the door to the garden and exercise area.  

He opened the slide door with his nose and entered.  

He could smell Mark's and the cleaning liquieds' scent in the air and sneezed.  

He lay down on the small futon with a sigh.  

He knew it was pretty much useless to wish for things to have gone differently. This was his reality now, but still... He could not help the occasional waves of self-pity and wishful thinking.  

Then again, Sandburg had smelled like magic. The energies were wrapped all around him. Maybe... 

Jim shook his head. Why flog a dead horse? 

*** 

SW:  

When Blair got his desk, the first call he made was to the Council of Magical Arts. He spoke to an old friend of his who was on the council. 

"Ellison, Ellison, sounds familiar, Blair. Let me look it up." Kelso said. Blair heard some typing in the background. A few seconds later, "Ah yes. Jim Ellison. Detective with Major Crimes Unit. Yeah, ole' Krinwald's last curse before he was finally killed." 

"Krinwald! Goddess, no wonder everyone is having a hard time breaking the curse. Last I heard they were still trying to figure out how to close that door he opened to the Netherworld." Blair said. Amazing. He had heard Krinwald was dead, but not how he had died. 

“And they still are. Golems are guarding the doorway, and its shielded as best as it can, but every now and then something escapes from there. It keeps the Council on its toes. Well, according to the file, Bracket was sent to evaluate, and determine if the curse could be broken. Apparently he tried all the standard curse breaking spells. The Level I spell backfired and knocked Bracket out for two days. Sorry to say, Blair, but it looks like a lost cause. They've shuffled the case to the back of the list. Low priority since it isn't life threatening." Kelso continued. 

"And while the council sits on its collective asses and twiddles their thumbs, what happens to Ellison?" Blair asked. 

"Well, by law he can't be fired from his job, and can't be forced into disability or retirement unless he poses a danger to others. According to the file he is living in the Greenstreet Shelter on 4th." 

"A shelter. You mean a kennel. I have seen some of those places. Some people should be ashamed for kicking their families to the curb just for being a were." 

"Why are you so interested Blair?" Kelso asked. 

“I am not sure, Jack. Just something drew me to him. I don't know why." Blair said. 

"He's not a were so he can't be made a Familiar, at least I don't think he can. I haven't really studied idea. Hmmm, it would be interesting to know. And it might do him some good if he can and can find a wizard willing to take him in." Kelso pondered out loud. 

"Jack, weres don't even like to be made Familiars, I can't imagine that a cop who was cursed for life would want it either. Well anyway, since I am going to be working at Major Crimes, I might just look into his problem. The council wouldn't let me any where near the Door, but maybe I can solve this problem." 

"Don't get in over your head, Blair. You're good, and powerful, but you're still young. That is why the council wouldn't let you near the Door." Kelso told him. 

"Don't worry so much Jack." Blair said with laughter in his voice. "See you at the next meeting." And with that, Blair hung up. On the other end, Kelso just shook his head in exasperation but with a smile of fondness on his face. 

MS: 

"Just like Naomi. There isn't a lost cause that she won't go running after." Kelso turned his attention back to his work. Back at the station Blair had turned on his computer and was bringing up as much information on Detective Ellison that he could find. 

*** 

Walking by his desk Henri paused. "Hey, Hairboy, you think you can break the curse on Jimbo?" He snickered. 

Blair frowned up at Henri. "You have a problem with Jim?" He could feel his hackles rising. For some reason he was starting to feel protective of the were. 

"Mr. Attitude? Mr. I can do it by myself?" Henri snorted. "Everyone has a problem with him. He thinks he's the Lone Ranger." Henri gestured to the rest of the room. "If you want to get along around here you'd better learn that some things are best left alone." He started to walk away. "Jimbo got a little taking down. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy." 

KA:  

Blair stared at Henri's back as he walked to Megan's desk.  

"Just what was *that* about?" Blair muttered.  

He turned his head to look at his computer screen. So, that's why people did not seem too worried about Jim's fate and why Banks had been so dismissive earlier.  

Still, he could not condone their attitude. Even if Jim had been a royal pain in the ass, he deserved help and assistance. Did not look like he got much of those.  

Blair bit his lip. On the other hand, it would not help his own status any, if he went against the unwritten rules on his first day.  

Blair grinned evilly. Never let it be said he took the easy route.  

He logged into the personnel files and put in a search for Ellison. 

*** 

R:  

Finally the computer brought up a file on Ellison. No wonder no one wanted to help him, he had outshone everyone else. They would love to have a chance to knock him down a bit. 

Blair didn't care what others thought of Ellison. He didn't like the idea of a man being cursed and ignored, no matter what type of person he was. However, he wasn't sure what exactly he could do about it. 

The first thing he could do was get him out of the kennel. That wasn't a place anyone would want to be in. 

He didn't know if he could keep Ellison at his place though. It wasn't set up for a were, it wouldn't hurt to try.  

First, he'd research the spell that had been cast. If he did decide to have Ellison live with him, he'd want to try to do something to help him. 

Blair changed his search parameters to spell breaking. Krinwald had been a powerful wizard and breaking one of his spells would take a lot of research and skill. 

*** 

SW: 

Night came, and Jim curled tighter in on himself and closed his eyes. He had eaten earlier at the shelter. Companies had begun producing were food which was similar to dog food but nutritionally adequate for weres. There was even varieties for different species. The shelter served the were food to them in bowls placed in their kennels, and kept their water dish full. Once night fell, the night keeper went through the room and locked each of the kennels, securing the occupants inside for the night.  

Jim could hear the footsteps of the night keeper as he went down the hallway of kennels, locking each of them. The click of a padlock securing the sliding doors was loud in Jim's ears. He hated being locked in at night, but there was little he could do about it. For my own protection, my ass, Jim thought. *Like that did any good at the Bryant Shelter on 83rd.* 

The night keeper, Randy, finally rached Jim's kennel at the end of the rows. The red haired young college student locked the door with the padlock, and then began his sweep of the second floor where the homeless slept. He walked through the cage door at the foot of the stairs, locking it behind him then headed up. Jim listened to Randy walk up the creaking stairs, and through the hallways, opening doors and checking locks as he fulfilled his nightly duty. Eventually, Randy would head back to his desk and start studying for mid terms like he did every night. Randy had worked at a morgue before the shelter, but told Allison the manager that the dead bodies spooked him too much. 

Jim sighed, and shifted trying to get more comfortable on the futon mattress which was a bit too lumpy for his taste. Eventually he fell asleep.  

He was awakened by the sound of Randy's voice. He was arguing with someone, and Jim opened his eyes and lifted his head. Randy was at the main door, talking to someone Jim couldn't see. Arguing rather than talking. Jim's ears swiveled forward to catch the voices. 

"Its too late, I tell you. The doors lock at 7:00 pm. Go to Red Pine, they stay open all night." Randy said. 

"That's all the way on the other side of town! Come on, let me in, its cold outside." The other voice said. 

"Look I am sorry. I wasn't even supposed to open this door. The bus is still running, here take this. Should get you to Red Pine." Randy handed the man a couple of bucks and then made as if to close the door. Jim suddenly had a bad feeling.  

He was proved right as the man pushed the door with all his strength knocking Randy to the ground. Nor was the man alone, for as soon as he entered, four other men came inside behind him.  

"Hey what's going on, you guys can't come in here." Randy said as he tried to get to his feet.  

"Shut the f*ck up!" The first man said while he kicked Randy knocking the poor college kid back to the floor. The man then threw the dollar bills Randy had given him on top of Randy, who was groaning. "F*cking were lover!" 

Jim scrambled to his paws as he smelled the men splashing gasoline on the walls and the floor. He roared in his throat, waking the other weres and even the homeless tenants on the second floor. The other weres realizing what was happening began to growl and snarl in fear, the smell of gasoline filled their nostrils.   

While some of the men poured the gasoline, the first man continued to kick Randy and beat up on him. He yelled at him calling him a were lover, and an animal lover. The homeless people staying on the second floor had reached the cage door, and were trying to break it down. One of the men laughed as he threw gasoline on the cage door, splashing the people next to it. 

"F*ck, shut up, you stupid beasts!" The man stopped kicking Randy and went into the kennel area. One of the other men followed and began pouring more gasoline on the kennels, some of it damping the weres' fur. The weres began crying even louder, and Jim joined them hoping to get someone attention. Hoping that a neighbor would call 911. 

And then the fires were lit, and the homeless people cried out in horror and the walls were covered in flames. The men who had set the fires laughed, and left the through the door shutting it behind them. The gasoline spread the fires quickly until the whole building was engulfed. Jim heard cried of pain from both weres and homeless people. He coughed, the smoke was thick and it burned his throat and eyes. He leaped blindly at the kennel door, hitting it with his shoulder. It hurt, but he did again, hoping to break through. Again and again he charged the door, the cage rattled and even moved a few inches. Fire licked at his whiskers. Jim could hear sirens in the distance, but he didn't think they would get there on time. Jim didn't remember losing consciousness. 

*** 

Pain cut through the darkness. He had to be alive if he felt pain. Something was over his mouth and nose. 

Coughing Jim was aware of air filling his lungs. "Easy boy." A fireman leaned over him. The plastic cup over his mouth was attached to a tank of air.  

"How many did you pull out, Grant?" Another fireman was gently cleaning a burn on Jim's right paw. 

"We got this big guy and three others. The wolf won't make it." They spoke as if they thought that Jim was just a dumb animal. 

"Bastards." The other fireman swore. "We lost a pregnant woman and a couple of kids." He walked away shaking his head.  

Jim closed his eyes. He heard a wolf howling. The female wolf's cry cut into his heart. Wolves mated for life. She'd just lost her mate. 

“That one is one of ours." It was Simon's familiar voice. Jim opened his eyes. Simon's face was a mask of fury and grief. "I want to talk to him. I want the sons of bitches that set fire to that place and killed fifteen homeless people." 

If Jim could have screamed or cried he would have. There was no way that he could tell Simon anything.  

Rafe walked up with a police artist. "Mic here thinks that we can get Jim to paw against the standard chart to get an idea of what the suspects look like." 

Oh, so, *now* you come up with ideas, Jim thought uncharitably.  

He could not stop the wave of bitterness coursing through him. So far he had been of no use so the others had made little effort to communicate with him, but as soon as he actually had some information they needed, then they started using their gods given brains. He had a fleeting thought of putting his nose up and refusing to co-operate, but crushed it as soon as it appeared. He wanted those bastards caught. Probably a lot more so than Simon.  

So he sat up and looked at the short artist.  

"Okay, you know the routine," Mic said as he sat down and put down his tools.  

Jim nodded. Yep, he knew it, though it had been some time. 

*** 

It took some time to compose sketches of five men. Soon as they were done, Jim gestured towards the other weres.  

"What? Oh, right, show these to them," Mic said. He gathered the books, taking care not to move any of the pages.  

This one's brighter than I thought, Jim commented to himself wryly.  

The other weres agreed that those were the ones, as did the homeless. They added a few comments as to the appearance and clothing.  

Simon walked over to the pair as Mic was scribbling the last comments to his notebook. Jim was sitting on his haunches beside the artist, looking like a guard cat.  

"How's it going?" 

"Pretty good, actually," Mic said, without lifting his head. "I'll have the final drawings for you by tomorrow morning. Unless you want them sooner," Mic asked, looking up.   

"The homeless gave pretty good descriptions to the uniforms. If they can't find the guys tonight, they're not from the neighbourhood. Tomorrow morning's fine.”  

Mic nodded and went back to his notes.  

Jim turned his head as he smelled the new spell expert. *What's he doing here?* 

Blair walked over to Simon. "I can't detect any spells or magic around here. Whoever did this, they're mundane." 

"Thought so. If they had any spellcaster with them, no one would have survived," Simon commented.   

"What will happen to the weres?" 

"The Crestwood Shelter has room for them."  

"Jim could come to my place," Blair blurted out.  

Jim sat up straighter. *What?!* 

SW:  

Simon looked at Blair as if he thought the wizard was crazy, "Why would you want to take Jim to your place? He will be fine at the shelter." 

Simon's face became a thunderstorm. And he was about to explode. 

"Uhm excuse me, Captain, but none of the weres will be going anywhere except to Cascade Memorial's Were Wing. They all have burns and smoke inhalation. Our men our ready to transport them." The EMT who interrupted the conversation said. 

Simon nodded. The EMT's loaded each of the weres onto stretchers and placed them in the back of the ambulances. Though Jim had ignored his injuries during those precious minutes of getting the description of the perps out, his burns and bruises made themselves known, and he had to let the EMTs place him on a gurney, and place an IV in his right front leg. All the survivors, both weres and homeless people were taken to Cascade Memorial. 

Back at the scene, Blair avoided Banks, and made his way to his 2004 Volkswagon Beetle. He decided that arguing with Simon wasn't going to do any good. Fortunately, Simon wasn't the one who hired and fired the spellcasters. That would be a council decision. And Blair had influence with the Council. He climbed in and started the vehicle. He planned to drive to the hospital and check on each of the victims, and then place his offer to Jim directly. He hoped the detective took him up on his offer. After what happened at the shelter, Blair felt even more concern for the cursed detective. 

MS:  

One of the firemen ran up to Blair's Bug. "I heard that you were going to let the were cat stay at your place." 

“Yes." Blair was on guard. He sensed no magic. The fireman pulled out something from his pocket. "I had to take off his collar. I forgot to give it to the EMT's. Can you get this back to Detective Ellison. Tell him thanks from Josh. He got my sister out of a jam." He turned and hurried away. 

This gave Blair another excuse to check on Jim. The drive to the hospital didn't take very long. He parked close in case he was able to take Jim home. He frowned when he spotted the picketers. When had the anti-were groups started picking the hospital? He ran up the steps trying to ignore them. 

"CAGE THEM!" Was the chant. 

Blair had an unhappy feeling in the pit of his stomach. He paused at the door. It was very faint but he felt the magic. Damned. Someone was pushing the mundane hate and fear of weres. He'd have to let the council know. This had to be a very powerful wizard to disguise his magic so well. 

*** 

KA:  

Blair went to the were wing's info desk and showed his police ID.  

"I'm here to see a were from the fire tonight, Ellison." 

“The doctor's checking them right now. If you could wait a moment?" the young nurse asked.  

Blair nodded. He walked to a quiet corner of the small hall. He took out his cell phone and punched in Kelso's number. The council had to learn of this ASAP.  

"What?" a drowsy growl asked him.  

"Good evening to you too, and no, this couldn't wait." 

"Oh, goddess, what now?"  

Blair told him all he knew.  

"That's definitely serious." Kelso was totally awake.  

"Understatement of the century," Blair commented.  

"What would he need all that hatred for?" Kelso asked, half to himself. Blair could think of several possibilities, all of them scary. "I'll inform the council, you keep your senses open."  

Blair could see the nurse gesturing to him. He could go the weres' rooms now. "I will. Keep me informed, would you?"  

"I will." 

*** 

SW: 

Blair walked through the swinging doors that took him into the were wing. The nurse had told him what room Jim would be in, and Blair made his way there. 

Having never been in the were wing of the hospital, Blair was surprised to see that instead of beds, the room held large steel kennels. The two long sides if the kennels were plexiglass with ventilation holes. There were other holes that IV lines could be threaded through, and two round holes that a doctor or nurse could place their hands through to tend to the patient. In each room there were four kennels, and Blair easily found the black jaguar among the lupine and two ursines. 

He went over to the kennel, and looked through the plexiglass. There were burned places in the black fur. It was obvious that the places had been cleaned and were glistening from an ointment that was smeared over each wound. There was a large burn on his right shoulder, a smaller one on his right paw, and some streaks of burned places down his flanks and over his rump. There was even some on his long elegant tail. 

Jim’s eyes opened and looked at the spellcaster. Blair smiled reassuringly at the cursed detective. 

“Hey, how are you feeling?" Blair asked. Jim just looked at him. "Not too good I would say." 

"Thought I would come by and see if you want to take me up on that offer. Its not charity. I am a researcher at heart, and I want to study the curse. I can't promise anything, except to keep trying." Blair said all in a rush. 

Why, Jim thought even though he knew the spellcaster couldn't hear him. The question was in his eyes. 

"I also think you got a bum deal. No one seems to care, and I don't think that is right. And like I said, I like research. The guy who cast that curse cast something else once that I wanted to study, but the Council wouldn’t allow it despite my credentials." 

Jim could understand that better than believing someone actually cared. The guy wanted to study the curse, to break it and prove himself to the council. And someone who actually had such passion might be better than the asshole the council had sent at the beginning. 

Jim nodded, accepting the offer, and Blair smiled. "Cool. I guess I need to talk to the doc and see when you can break out of this joint." 

Blair took out Jim's collar from his pocket. "A fireman named Josh gave this to me." He started to slip the collar into the kennel. Jim shook his head.  

Blair paused. "Oh yeah. I'd have to leave it laying next to you." He stuck it back in his pocket. "You're not very trusting are you?” 

Jim gave Blair a look that said 'Are you kidding?' His ears twitched. One ear turned towards the door. Blair straightened. He didn't see anyone. "Did you hear something?" 

Just then a nurse appeared at the door. She pushed it open. The young blond was carrying a tray with medicine on it. "You'll have to leave while I change IV's." She flashed him a smile. 

Blair smiled back. "I'll go get some coffee and see when you can be released, Jim." 

Jim's nostrils twitched. Something about the new scent coming off of the nurse had a strange and scary familiarity. His tail lashed. Blair was smiling at the nurse. "Is the coffee good here?" He was almost in front of her. 

She smiled. "It's hospital coffee." She walked towards the kennels. As she passed him Blair smelled something rotten. He whirled around. "STOP! BY THE GODDESS!" 

She turned no longer a young and pretty woman. "You can't stop me!" She hurled the tray at him.  

Blair ducked. Jim roared. His roar seemed to shake the room. The hag leaped at Blair. He threw up his hand shouting the incantations. 

A blast of power hit the hag in the chest. She was slammed against the far wall. The weres were roaring and clawing at their kennels. The hag growled as she rose to her feet. An alarm sounded. "You win this time, Wizard." She turned and crashed out the window. 

R: 

"Jim, you knew something was wrong!" Blair said turning back to the jag. 

Jim gave Blair the 'no kidding' look and paced in his kennel. 

"You also knew she was there before she entered the room," Blair commented. "There's something special about you but I'm not sure what yet." 

A moment later about five people came rushing into the room. "What's going on in here? Why are all the weres upset? What have you done?" the person in charge yelled at Blair. 

"Me? I haven't done anything. A hag was trying to do something to Jim. She left through the window." Blair couldn't believe some people could be so dense. The broken window was right in front of them. 

"We'll check it out then," the officer said to Blair, though he still looked at him with suspicion. 

"I need to take this one with me," Blair told the officer. "I work for MC." 

"I'm not so sure I can allow that to happen," he said. "I need to get approval." 

Blair groaned, bureaucracy, what a pain. "Fine, get your approval. I'm not leaving him alone though." 

*** 

KA: 

Blair was as good as his word. He sat by Jim's kennel for the whole hour it took to get the approval. He spent some of that time on the phone, telling Kelso of the latest twist and the other half chatting to Jim. The feline snorted more than once to his tales.  

Finally they could leave.  

"Okay, Jim. I'll just put your collar on you and we can get on our way," he said to the cat as the nurse opened the door to his kennel.  

Jim's tail twitched as Blair put the collar on. He hated the thing, but since he did not have any pockets in his fur, it was something of a necessity.  

Blair breathed a sigh of relief that the crowd of protesters had left. Probably gone home to sleep, Blair thought. He looked at the night sky.  

A lot had happened at such a short time. Blair snorted. Jim looked at him with curiousity.  

"Just realised it's officially my second day with the Cascade PD." 

Jim purred a laugh. 

*** 

Blair lived in a spacious two-bedroom apartment.  

"Okay, now, I can put some blankets on the sofa or I could fashion a 'nest' for you at the study," Blair said. He had to admit that he hadn't given the practicalities that much thought. Did litter boxes come in Jim's size? 

Jim did a tour of Blair's flat while the spellcaster collected some blankets and quilts.  

The jaguar parked himself by the sofa. The so called study had looked like a hurricane had hit it. There was no way he would sleep amongst all those papers and various artifacts, or whatever they were.  

"Okay, so it's the sofa." Blair spread the blankets on it. "Think you can use the toilet if I leave the lid open?"  

Jim nodded. Blair could swear the jaguar was laughing at him. "Good, I'll leave a bowl of water for you in the kitchen." Blair yawned. "Then I'll hit the sack." He turned to walk to the bathroom. "I'll definitely hit the sack," he mumbled.  

Jim looked after the spellcaster. He seemed okay, and he treated Jim like he was someone with intelligence. Curious. 

Jim jumped up to the sofa and did the necessary circles on the blankets. He yawned and settled down to sleep. Sleep came fast to him despite the itching burns. 

*** 

SW: 

The next day, Blair went to work leaving the recuperating panther at his home. Jim had wanted to go in, but Blair had convinced him there was no reason to. He was still hurt, and Simon could just deal with it. Jim had chuckled inwardly at that, then agreed to stay. 

Blair discovered the penalty rather quickly for having helped Jim Ellison. The looks and turned backs from everyone at the station were really starting to piss Blair off. If I weren't a good guy, I would curse every one of them into an animal form for a least a day, he thought. He was seriously contemplating that as he headed upstairs to Major Crimes. He even had the perfect spell thought out in his mind. He just wished he could release it. 

Simon had not sounded happy when Blair had called him to tell Banks that Jim would not be coming in. As he walked through the silence of the major crimes bullpen, Blair did something he hadn't done since he was five. With a wave of his hand and a muttered incantation, Blair caused a gust of wind to scatter the papers on everyone’s desk as a reminder to them that magic affected everyone. 

The men and women of Major Crimes cursed and muttered under their breath as they sought to return their paperwork to some type of order while Blair went directly into Banks' office. 

"A little childish, don't you think Blair?" Kelso asked as Blair entered Banks’ office.  

"What are you doing here?" Blair asked surprised to see his mentor. 

"After your report last night, I decided to come down here myself. How is Ellison?" Kelso asked. Behind his desk, Banks looked furious. 

“He's fine." Blair answered.  

"Any news on the hag?" Blair asked after he sat down in the other chair. 

"None. The council sent some investigators to the hospital. They have determined that the hag and the Hate feeder are not the same person. Two separate incidences but I can't help but think they are related in some way." 

"Two spellcasters working together. Jack, evil spellcasters haven't joined together since, well since the Blood Moon. That was twenty years ago."  

"Yes, I know." Kelso said. 

"Are you both suggesting that another Blood Moon is going to occur?" Simon put in. 

"Possibly. We've been getting hints and rumors. This one however might just be worse than the other. I think the spellcasters have managed to get normal humans on their side. It will be a bloodbath if we don't stop it." 

Blair tried not to think about it. The last Blood Moon 25 spellcasters had used their powers to slaughter 1200 weres throughout nine cities before they were stopped. Blair could not let that happen again. 

*** 

MS:  

Jim was sleeping soundly when he suddenly jerked his head up. He was wide a wake. His fur was standing on end.  

A growl rose in his throat. He sniffed the air. There was a tingle in the air. A spellcaster was trying to breech the spell that kept Blair's apartment safe from intruders. 

*** 

At the station Blair froze. "Something wrong, Blair?" Kelso felt the tingle. 

"Someone is trying to enter my apartment." He sucked in a deep breath. "Jim is alone." 

Kelso muttered an enchantment. Several blocks away the wizard patroling the city were suddenly headed towards Blair's place. Blair was running out of Simon's office.  

"Brown, Rafe, we got a break in at Sandburg's." 

"Isn't that a job for the uniforms?" Brown scowled unhappily. 

“NOW!" Simon didn't want to think of what would happen if someone started hunting weres. One thing that spellcasters never mentioned was that, if backed up against the wall, weres fighting for their lives wouldn't hesitate to take out humans. In the last Blood Moon that had been averted only because someone had warned the humans to stay indoors. 

*** 

Blair reached his car ahead of Brown and a reluctant Rafe. They followed Blair amazed that the Bug could out distance them.  

"It's got to be spelled." Brown grumbled.  

"You know." Rafe said as he held onto his shoulder strap. "Ellison is a cop." 

“He's a were." Brown grumbled. "You saw what the weres did to that couple three years ago."  

Rafe sighed. "Henri, that was a were high on dragweed. It could have been a normal human high on dragweed. The sooner we get that stuff off the streets the safer everyone is." 

*** 

Blair slammed on his brakes. He was out of his car running for the door before Brown and Rafe came up the street. Half way up the stairs he hit an invisible wall.  

"Damned!" He inhaled. There was no denying the scent in the air. "Damned hag!" He threw a spell. The wall became visible and then turned yellow and crumbled. "You'd better not have hurt Jim!" He was running up the stair to his apartment. 

R: 

He burst into the apartment to find Jim at the hag's throat. The hag apparently hadn't been fast enough to avoid Ellison's jaws. It was obvious if she wasn't dead yet, she soon would be. 

Jim gave one last shake of his head and dropped the hag on the ground. He growled low in his throat at Blair, and then backed away. 

Blair didn't care much for the hag, but he was worried about Jim. Killing someone was never easy, but in animal form, he wasn't sure what Jim's reaction would be.  

Blair stepped around the hag, leaving her to the men he knew would soon be behind him, and stepped closer to Jim. 

*** 

Rafe followed Brown into the apartment and stared at the scene in front of them. 

Brown said, "Blair, stay away from the were. You don't know how an animal will react after this." 

Blair wanted to turn around and glare at Brown but he didn't want to take his eyes off Jim. "He's not an animal. He just looks like an animal." 

“Apparently he acts like an animal too. At least this hag would think so. Whatever, so long as you don't blame me if the animal kills you too." 

Blair grunted his response and continued to approach Jim. 

*** 

KA: 

Jim could taste the hag and smell her, smell her rotten stench in the lair. He growled.  

Someone was approaching him, coming closer. He sniffed. He smelled familiar. Someone he knew, someone safe. Soft words caressed his ears.  

"I know you must be in shock, Jim, and it's okay. I just want to help," Blair whispered. He sat down by Jim. The large cat was no longer growling and his tail fur was down. A definite improvement, however you looked at it.  

Finally Jim relaxed and flopped down on the floor.  

"How about we wash the blood off you?" Blair suggested.  

*** 

Jim could practically feel the suspicious glances directed at him. He ignored them with ease of too much practice. He sat on an old towel as Blair cleaned the burns and washed the blood off him. The forensics were investigating the site and the old spellcaster Blair had introduced as Kelso was talking with Selena, the head of forensics. Something was going on.  

Jim shook his head in irritation. He really wished he could talk.  

"What is it?" Blair asked.  

Jim turned his head to him and looked at him steadily.  

"Did I hurt you?" Jim shook his head. "Are you wondering about what's going on?" Jim nodded vigorously.  

Blair swiped some healing ointment on a scratch. "Well, I'm kind of wondering the same thing myself. The hag's in the same team as the hate feeder, and she specifically targeted you. So, what's up? Why are you so important to their scheme?" 

Jim had thought about it himself, but couldn't think of a single reason *anyone* would be after him. 

"I can think of a reason," Kelso announced as he walked over to them. The older man sat down beside Blair. "Could be Jim can be used as a focal point for a spell." 

*** 

MS: 

This disturbed Jim enough to have him lashing his tail. He grumbled the way only a cat could to show his displeasure. 

"Easy, Jim" Blair gently petted Jim's head. "We're not going to let that happen." He would strengthen the spell on his apartment. "I need a protection spell put on Jim so that no one can snatch him." He frowned. It was humiliating to admit that he couldn't do it by himself. He looked at Kelso. "Uh. I'll need some help." He found the floor suddenly interesting. 

Brown was watching Jim. "Why don't you just chain him to a metal ring attached to the floor? No one can spell him out of here if he's attached to iron."  

Blair glared at him. 

"Blair, short of a bonding there is nothing that will protect Jim better then being attached to iron." Kelso sighed. He could see the burning anger in the panther's eyes. "It's a suggestion. Take it or leave it."  

Jim shook his head. Being an animal was one thing but being chained down was an entirely different thing. He pushed up against Blair's hand. 

"I'm not going to chain Jim unless it's a last resort." Blair swallowed his pride. "Help me strengthen the spell of protection on my apartment, Jack."  

The older man nodded. 

*** 

KA: 

Together they weaved an additional layer into the spells already present. It would take a lot to break into Blair's apartment, and doing so would alert practically every spellcaster and magic sensitive in the city. Still, Blair was troubled. 

*** 

The forensics team was gone, Rafe and Brown had interviewed the neighbours and now everyone was on their way to the station to write their reports. Blair, Kelso, Simon and Jim were the only ones left in the apartment.  

“You truly think Jim's a focal point for this spell the hate feeder's preparing?" Simon asked, sounding doubtful.  

"Yes, it's the only possibility that fits with what we know so far," Kelso said patiently.  

"So far," Simon commented and took a sip of his coffee.  

"Spells need direction and the larger the spell the more concentration it requires. The focal point provides an anchor," Blair explained. "The strain on the caster lessens significantly." 

“The Blood Moon type of spell needs a focal point, and they're not easy to come by," Kelso said, scratching Jim's chin.  

Simon looked at the large feline dubiously. "So? That helps us how?" 

"We trace the hag to her lair and keep watch on Jim," Kelso stated. 

*** 

MS: 

Jim looked up at Kelso. He didn't like being the bait. He rose to his feet unhappily. He bumped his head against Blair's leg. Blair reached down and scratched behind one of Jim's ears. 

Kelso reached over to pat Jim's head one more time. He looked up startled. "No wonder."  

Blair felt a tingle go up his arm. He looked down at Jim. "What just happened?" 

"Jim is a Sentinel." Kelso stared at Jim. "This spell is going to be much more devastating than I could have ever thought of. We've got to find out who is behind it as quickly as possible." 

"Sentinel?" Simon scowled. "What are you talking about?" 

"A Guardian." Blair sucked in a breath. His voice dropped to a whisper. "If an evil spellcaster uses a Sentinel as a focal point for a Blood Moon spell it will magnify the spell a hundred times." He stared at Simon. "We're talking about the kind of power that sank Atlantis." 

Jim butted his head against Blair. He looked up at him with a question in his eyes.  

"That's not all, Jim." Kelso said. "The spell would burn you to ash." 

Jim growled in his throat. He pawed the floor.  

"I agree." Blair said without thinking. "You're right we need to get on this immediately." His mouth dropped open. He looked down at Jim. "I know what you were thinking." 

"Good," Kelso said. Three sets of eyes turned to look at him. "It means there's a tentative bond between the two of you."  

Kelso rose from his chair. "There are some books in the council library on Sentinels, I think you should read them." He paused. "I don't think they've been needed for four decades or more."  

Simon rose with a sigh. "I'll get to the station and see what's come up. If nothing more, at least I can growl at someone. This is not my day." 

"Okay, I'll go to the library and see if I can come up with anything." Blair rose to escort the others to the door. Jim nipped his leg. "Yes, I'll take you with me."  

"Think that's wise?" Simon asked as he put on his coat.  

"The library has heavy-duty protection on it. It's one of the safest places in Cascade," Kelso assured him. 

*** 

Also one of the most boring, Jim thought to himself as he lay on a carpet and watched Blair read. 

After the fifth growled 'just let me read first' he had given up trying to get some information from the spellcaster. He was somewhat wary about this bond they were developing. He was even more wary about being burned to a crisp. Terrified would be a suitable term too. 

Jim rose and stretched. He was bored. Bored, bored and boreder. 

*** 

MS: 

Blair didn't notice that Jim had gotten up. He was muttering as he read.  

Jim yawned. He looked around. No one seemed to be paying him any attention. Most of the people in the reading room were spellcasters bent on learning something new to protect their homes and families.  

Jim padded silently over the rust color rug that muffled the sound of shoes as he headed towards where he smelled water. He figured that there was a water fountain nearby. He could push it with one paw. He picked up his pace. The water smelled delicious. 

There was no one near the water fountain. Jim froze. He sniffed the air. Something didn't feel right. Slowly he backed up.  

A door opened. A young girl and boy came out of the children's section. "Look, a kitty." The girl was delighted. 

"It's a big kitty." They bounded over to Jim.  

He tried to back away but the girl wrapped her arms around his neck. "Nice kitty." She kissed his forehead and giggled. "Kitty, kitty like the star follows the sun." She kissed his furry forehead again.  

Jim blinked. He felt sleepy.  

The girl released him. "Nice kitty has to go with the man when he calls you." She grinned at the boy. "Now we get to keep the money for treats."  

They skipped away. 

Jim blinked. He shook his head. 'What?'  

He looked around. He took a breath. Water. He went up to the water fountain and lifted a paw. He pressed on the lever and soon a stream of water shot up. He leaned over and lapped at the water. A memory teased him but he wasn't able to get into focus. He finished his drink and padded quietly back to where Blair was deep in reading. More then a dozen books were spread open in front of him. 

Jim took his place back by the side of Blair's chair. He leaned his head against Blair's leg.  

'Just a little longer.' Blair muttered. He absentmindedly scratched Jim's head. Jim sighed. He put his head down on his paws and soon fell asleep. 

*** 

Blair stretched his back and swiped at his tired eyes. He yawned.  

He had been at the books for hours. He glanced at the large clock on the wall.  

"Goddess, we've been here for five hours." He glanced down. Jim was snoring softly. "Wake up, kitty. Time to get home."  

Jim yawned. "Yes, already," Blair grinned. 

"I'll tell you what I've found once we get to my place." Blair started to gather the books. "I think I'd better call Kelso or Simon to escort us home. The other side's had plenty of time to plan another attack." 

Jim padded after Blair. There was something that tickled at the back of his mind, but he couldn't remember or figure out what. Just that there was something.  

He shook his head to clear it. Didn't help any. 

*** 

It was Kelso who turned up to escort them. He wanted to find out what Blair had learned.  

The older spellcaster looked at Jim and frowned. 

He shook his head as if to dismiss whatever it was. "I'll follow you in my own car," Kelso told Blair. 

*** 

MS: 

Blair nodded. He led Jim to the waiting car. He could see the lines of protective magic that he'd spun around the car. No one had tampered with it.  

"Okay, Jim. Let's go home." 

They arrived to find the lines of magic around the apartment undisturbed.  

Blair sighed. "This is like waiting for the other shoe to drop." He unlocked the apartment door. 

Jim went in. He sniffed. There was a faint lingering stench of hag but otherwise there was nothing in the apartment that sent any alarms off in his head. 

Kelso came up carrying a bag. "The food at the deli looked good." He frowned. There was something different about Jim. He couldn't quite place it. 

*** 

Blair set down two of the books he'd check out of the Library.  

"There is a record of the first Blood Moon spell using a Sentinel." Blair got out plates and a bowl for Jim. "It was before Atlantis was sunk. A spellcaster used a Sentinel female to destroy all weres in a place called Pacifica." 

Kelso raised an eyebrow. "Do you know where Pacifica was, Blair?" Blair shook his head. "Long before Atlantis sunk beneath the ocean there was another more powerful island. The remnants of Pacifica form the coast of Washington, Oregon and California." Kelso sighed. “I've heard stories. I know that a were killed the Prince of the royal family. It was out of jealousy. They were both in love with the same woman. Out of revenge the spellcaster was hired to kill all weres. Unknown to the King the spellcaster was also going to spell the whole country to be under his command. Somehow it was stopped midspell." 

"Right." Blair nodded. "The spell sank Pacifica. Years later the same spell was used to sink Atlantis." He frowned. "I don't understand why sink both islands." 

“Sacrifice." Kelso looked over at Jim who was listening intently. "With that much blood spilled the spellcaster gained more power. If he manages to wipe out the weres in Cascade during a Blood Moon and do whatever else he has in mind then he will be the most powerful wizard in existence." 

"Jack, you can't be talking about the same wizard." Blair protested. "Those events were thousands of years apart and ago." 

“It wouldn't matter to a wizard who could step out of time." Kelso reached over and scratched Jim's chin. "We'd better get an iron smith to design a leather and iron collar for Jim before it's too late. Now what else did you learn?" 

Jim growled at the suggestion.  

"Relax, we'll figure out something," Blair promised him.  

"Sentinels have acute senses and they can sense magical energies, which is probably why they're such good focal points." Blair put the bowl with food down on the floor for Jim.  

"They also have guides or anchors who bond with them. Apparently even anchors need anchors," Blair grinned. 

"No one can live totally alone and stay sane," Kelso commented.  

Blair looked at suspiciously. *Has Naomi been talking to him?*  

Kelso ate his food, looking as innocent as a babe.  

"Aanyways, the bond develops gradually, with time and contact. Through it, they can stay in contact and locate each other." Blair paused to swallow a piece of shrimp. "There was some vague information about how their abilities augment, complete or intertwine. Looked like the author wanted to cover all eventualities and ended up writing only fleetingly of any one of them." 

Kelso nodded. "That's the trouble with those books. There are so many different possibilities. These things aren't constant." 

"Life is all about change, I know. One author had devoted a whole chapter to how the sentinels evolve over time to adapt to whatever's needed." Blair shook his head. "One thing's for certain, the full abilities and the form of the bond will develop gradually. With time." 

“Time we don't have," Kelso added.  

*** 

SW:  

Kelso stood, "I am going to call Blake. He's an iron smith. He's very good. He's also something of a spellcaster himself." 

Jim growled in his throat. Blair looked at Jim then looked at Kelso, "Jack, that's not a good idea. I said last resort, and I meant it." 

“Blair, the destruction of the entire west coast and possibly even more makes this 'last resort'." 

Blair looked at Jim, whose posture had a sullen look. If panthers could sulk, Jim was doing a fine job of it. But his eyes told Blair that he had reluctantly accepted his fate. 

Kelso called his friend, who said that he would come by the next day. Blair invited Kelso to stay the night. With two spellcasters, they should be able to protect Jim for one night until they could bind him to the loft with iron. Kelso accepted and took the spare bed in the room beneath Blair's bedroom. Jim slept on the couch. 

*** 

MS: 

Jim turned restlessly in his sleep. His paw moved as though he was running. His eyes moved under his closed eyelids.  

In the dream he was running towards an altar. A stranger in a hooded cape stood waiting for him. He could hear Blair calling him to come back but all he wanted to do was reach the stranger. 

*Come now, Sentinel.* Jim rose. He staggered towards the door.  

Kelso was awake. He came out of the bedroom. "JIM!" He knew a poxy spell when he spotted one. Mentally he cursed himself. That was what was different about Jim. Why hadn't he noticed it before?  

He heard Blair bounce out of bed. "What's happening?” 

"Get down here, Blair."  

Jim stood glassy eyed in front of the closed door. He rose on his hind legs scratching desperately at the locked and spelled door. 

"Blair, you're the only one who can bring Jim out of this spell. You're his guide. It's up to you." Worry was etched on Kelso's face. The wizard had worked a spell under their noses. He had to have some awesome power. 

*** 

KA:  

Blair nodded. He sat down beside Jim who was looking mournfully at the door.  

"If I unravel the spell, can you follow it? Find him?" 

Kelso thought about it. "Yes, but the backlash would be pretty hard. You think he'd still be there?"  

"Oh, yes, he'll be there. He's been preparing for this for a long time, after all."  

Kelso sat down behind Jim and composed himself. He nodded at Blair.  

The young spellcaster touched Jim and concentrated on him. *Jim* 

*** 

Jim could feel the touch as a flutter or a soft tickle. It went through him, and splashed ice water on his soul.  

He could swear he actually heard the energy lines snapping as Blair undid the spell. 

Jim flopped down. The feel of cold and hard floor woke him.  

Blair was panting as if he had just ran a mile, in mid-summer.  

Jim turned at the sound of a body hitting the floor. Kelso was lying on the floor, totally exhausted.  

Blair went over to him. "Jack?" 

"It's a she." 

*** 

"She's where?" Simon demanded. 

SW: 

All looked up at Simon who was standing at the entry way of the door. "How did you get in?" Blair asked.  

"I opened the door." Simon answered confused at the question.  

Kelso answered the unspoken question. "Our release of Jim from the spell has destroyed every set spell within a five block radius. The backlash didn't kill anyone, but some spellcasters are going to have some nasty headaches for a few days." 

"You said the old spellcaster is a woman, where is she?" Blair asked.  

"I felt her, only for a moment. She laughed at me and flung me away from her. I only got a direction, and a hint of a distance. She's south of us, within perhaps 300 miles or less of our location. No more than that. I am sorry, but she is stronger than I am. I am surprised she didn't kill me." And with that Kelso collapsed.  

It took a moment for Blair to realise that Jim had followed Kelso into unconsciousness. 

*** 

With Simon's help, Blair was able to get Kelso and Jim onto their respective beds. Simon asked Blair why they weren't going to a hospital. Blair told Simon it was only magical backlash, and that they would be alright, they would just sleep for a few hours. Simon nodded at that.  

While Simon called the station to get some cops there, Blair called the Council and told them what happened. They said they would send spellcasters to re cast the spells lost in the neighbourhood, and for Blair to keep them informed.  

When Blair got off the phone there was a knock on the door. Simon drew his gun and nodded to Blair who went to the door carefully.  

On the other side of the door a man stood and smiled. "Hi, my name is Blake, Kelso called me."   

*** 

An hour later Blake left, and Blair fell back on the couch, exhausted. He had used his magical energies to put a light warding spell around the apartment to warn him of intruders while Blake had fitted the unconscious Jim with an iron collar, and attacked an iron to the floor of the loft. A long iron chain connected the two.  

Jim now lay on a pile of blankets in a corner of the loft, still out from the magical backlash. Two bowls, one filled with water and the other empty were near him for when he came out.  

Blair sighed and closed his eyes wishing he dared fall asleep. He was not looking forward to trying to explain to Jim that per Kelso's request the collar had been made permanent. 

*** 

MS: 

Some two hundred and eighty miles away a woman stood scowling in the direction of Cascade. 

She pulled back the hood on her cape. White hair tumbled around her face.  

"You'll never win against me." She turned to the remains of the were on the altar. She snapped her fingers. "Hear me now. You will bring the male Sentinel to me." Her voice flowed along magic lines to the ear of a sleeping man. 

*** 

Jim woke. His head was splitting. He blinked against the pain.  

He felt the collar. His heart beat wildly in his broad chest. *NO! I trusted him!* 

Blair woke. He stretched.  

"Jim." He stopped. He could see the angry panic in Jim's eyes. "It had to be done. We can't risk millions of people being killed." Jim turned his back on Blair. 

Kelso stirred. He struggled to get up. "Blair?"  

"It's all right." Blair called unhappily. 

A car pulled out of a garage.  

Jim was pacing the floor. The weight of the chain pulled at his neck. He growled deeply.  

Blair stood watching him with a heavy heart. "It has to be this way."  

Jim only snarled. 

The car drove across town. In the backseat were a dart gun and a large animal cage. 

Kelso came down and took Blair to the kitchen.  

"He'll have to get used to it. Even if we defeat her this time she'll be back. And if not her then some other evil wizard will want Jim. He's not safe until your bond is a strong one. Even then you'll have to keep him at your side on a leash." 

"But, Jack" Blair protested. "What if I'm able to transform him back to his human self? I can't do that to Jim." 

"Even in his human form until he's fully bonded to you Jim must stay on a leash." Kelso's voice was firm. 

*** 

KA: 

Blair bit his lip. He did not like the thought, not a bit. Even now his conscience was troubled. A cell phone ringing startled him out of his morbid thoughts.  

"Yes?" It was Simon. "You're sure?... That does have a twisted kind of logic to it... I'll tell Kelso... We'll be there. Bye." 

Blair shut the cell phone and stared at it.  

"Simon's found the wizard. There are some old ruins and the remnants of a mansion about 280 miles south of here. No one's been there for some time. Some forest rangers have reported odd traffic to and from the place." 

"I suppose the ruins are those of an old temple?" Kelso asked.  

"Yep, with an altar." 

Kelso nodded. "I'll call the council members. Has Simon decided who's going to be included in the raid?" 

"He's preparing the team." 

"Okay, I'll phone him, and some spellcasters I know. Will you be there?"  

Blair snorted. "Are you kidding?" 

Jim yowled softly.  

Blair turned to him. "You want to be in the team." Jim nodded. 

"Up to you, Blair," Kelso said as he turned to walk to his gear, and his phone. 

A car parked in the parking lot by the apartment building. 

*** 

SW: 

Kelso picked up the phone and called the council, while Blair went to Jim, and unhook the chain leash from the permanent collar. Before he could attach a shorter leash to the collar, the door burst open and Detective Brown entered the room carrying an air rifle. Blair was too exhausted to stop Henri, but Jim wasn't. Detective Brown went down under Jim's teeth. They were shocked, and knew that Brown had been working for the woman.  

It wasn't long before the team was assembled. Five cars drove to forest. Inside one of the cars, Jim sat on his haunches beside Blair who held the chain leash in his hand. 

One of the vehicles was the SWAT van, which had two spellcasters on their group. Another car held the spellcaster from the Council. In the car Blair and Jim rode, Simon drove, Kelso sat in the back with Blair, and Rafe whose eyes were red rimmed. He had been upset to know that his friend and partner had been a traitor. 

They parked just outside the forest. Three trucks with horse trailers waited them. The only quick way through the forest to the old temple was on horseback.  

Everyone exited the vehicles. Wranglers opened the horse trailers and led from them several unicorns of various colors. The Council wasn't taking any chances. The unicorns’ pure magic would intensify the spellcasters' magic, and wouldn't run when magic started flying. 

MS:  

Jim could feel the tension in the pit of his stomach. 

*** 

Inside the temple the evil spellcaster smiled. "You're playing into my hands."  

She swept the ashes of the were off of the alter. She sprinkled more powder on the altar. Carefully she took out the ruby knife that held her power. 

*** 

The team moved cautiously. Blair noticed how silent the forest had become. Kelso pointed to the temple. The horses snorted and pawed the earth. It was plain that they were frightened and didn't wish to go any further. 

"Dismount."  

They all raised their arms. Jim felt the tingle first. It danced over his head but when it hit his collar it bounced back. 

*** 

"No." Ana hadn't seen the collar in her magical fire. "IRON!"  

She flung a spell towards Blair. Once the guide was down the Sentinel would come to her call. 

*** 

Kelso saw the surge of magic and threw up a shield to protect Blair. Jim pulled him out of the way. 

Spellcasters moved in around the temple. Spells were being hurled out of the temple with increasing speed.  

*** 

The ruby crystal dimmed.  

"NO!"  

Ana pulled a frightened were out of a kennel. She stabbed the were in the chest. The blood sacrifice sent power surging into the crystal. Ashes that had once been the were fell to the ground.  

Ana turned. "It's between you and me Guide!"  

She threw spells at the other spellcasters trying to isolate Blair from the others. 

*** 

KA: 

But the shields held. Supported by interlocking grids, everyone supported the shields. Soon they were in the ruins.  

Simon and Kelso were holding point, with Blair and Rafe coming next. Jim followed Blair, keeping his ears pricked up for any danger. By now they could all feel it, sense the power supported by blood only.  

"Geez, she's a vampire. Feeding off sacrifices with little power of her own," Kelso said, sounding sad and repulsed at the same time.  

"So how do we kill her off for good?" Simon asked. He knew they could never bring her back for trial, no prison would hold her. Hell, they'd be lucky if they could get one shot at her.  

"She has to be channelling the power through something."  

"Okay, we destroy the glittery and stylish something that she's holding," Rafe commented dryly. "Nothing to it." 

Simon listened to something through his headpiece.  

"Everyone's in position. It's time," he said. They took a breath and walked towards the ruins of the main hall. 

*** 

SW:  

They entered the main hall and walked through the wide corridor. The temple walls were decorated with relief carvings depicting weres, and humans and unicorns. The spellcaster were shielding the norms, ready with their offensive spells, as the norms carried their guns facing the direction that walk in.  

Jim padded beside Blair, unable to go more than two feet form the spellcaster's side due to the chain. Up ahead light flickered from the main chamber where the evil witch waited for them. More magic flew at them, but the shield absorbed the magic energy. 

They stepped into the main chamber horrified to see the cages that held starving weres, and the altar covered in ashes. The woman stood glaring at them. She held a ruby hilted knife in her hand that glowed blood red with power.  

Simon raised his gun and fired trying to destroy the knife. The bullet ricocheted off a shield. The blonde woman laughed, and struck at them with the full measure of her power stolen from the sacrifices. The spellcasters strengthened the shield, but some of the magic got through, and three spellcasters died instantly. 

One of those was Kelso.  

Blair screamed, "No," and unthinkingly dropped the chain leash to go to his teacher’s side. Jim used that moment of freedom to attack the witch. She laughed and struck at Jim with her knife. The point hit iron, and snapped. The broken blade then dug a deep furrow through Jim's shoulders scraping bone before it lodged between two ribs. The black jag fell to the ground, bleeding at the witch's feet. 

Blair looked up in horror, realizing what he had done. He stood and readied his powers. Before the witch could finish the drop, Blair pushed his power through the bond into Jim's body. Muscles and tissue and bone regrew, healing at the blink of an eye. More the curse was lifted, and jaguar became human in that instant. Jim reached out with human hands and removed the dagger from his ribs, the place healing behind him. In one swift motion, he drove the broken blade into the witch's heart. She gasped, her blue eyes going wide with shock, then a scream as she turned to ashes. The ruby flared once brighter than a sun, then died, turning black as night.  

Jim collapsed to bare knees, scraping them on stone. He looked down in shock at his human hands, then down at his naked body. 

The wound was completely healed, no scar remained. All that was left of his time of the curse was the permanent iron collar that hung low on his human neck. He looked up at Blair in shock knowing that somehow the spellcaster had broken the curse.  

The others stood in shock as well, staring at the naked kneeling man that had moments before been a black jaguar. Simon snapped his mouth shut, then began to give orders to his men. They scrambled to obey. The dead bodies of the spellcasters were gently carried from the temple. Simon removed his jacket, and handed it to Blair, then left with his men, the spellcasters that still lived went with them. They left Jim and Blair alone in the temple. 

*** 

MS:  

“What now, Chief?" Jim looked up at Blair. 

"We start out as Sentinel and Guide." Blair held out his hand to Jim. "I'm Blair Sandburg." 

"I'll have to wear the collar until our bond is complete." There was some resentment in Jim's voice. 

"Jim, we can never let anyone use you again.” 

Slowly Jim nodded. He took a breath. "My name is Jim Ellison." He took Blair's hand.  

They shook.  

Whatever the future held they'd face it together. 

*** 

end