Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Completed:
2006-01-04
Words:
7,361
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
3
Kudos:
25
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,900

Commander and mercenary

Summary:

Sentinel meets guide, they get together and end up in bed. The usual, you know, just with a twist.

Chapter 1: Commander and mercenary

Chapter Text

Disclaimers: not mine and never will be *sniff*
Notes: My first NC-17 in Sentinel fandom *blushing* Not the first to be posted, mind you, just the first I ever wrote.

***

Commander Blair was walking along the bloody, ruin-laden streets with determined steps. Two of his guards were walking behind him and Lieutenant Megan was walking slightly before him. He steered clear of the larger skirmishes, having no desire to get entangled in any more fights. The battle was mostly over anyway, the town was theirs and the region was secure again, for a while.

He halted. What had he heard? A sniffle??

"Megan? Did you hear anything?" He asked, looking around. There were corpses and body parts lying around or half hidden amongst bags of hastily collected belongings, blood and entrails, a masterless horse, abandoned houses of brick and wood, and a wagon lying on its side.

The wagon.

"No, nothing out of place, commander," Megan announced after a scan of the area.

Blair nodded and walked quietly toward the wagon, looking around in case this was a trap (which he doubted) with his sword ready in his hand. Megan followed a few steps behind him, signalling the guards to take places on the right and behind them.

Blair walked around to the other side of the overturned skeleton of a wagon. There was a wounded man lying by the bed of the wagon with his back to Blair, holding his arms around himself. A mercenary, by the looks of him. Blair noticed the well-muscled legs and the shapely form.

Megan took one look at the bloody and bruised heap and took place to the left of Blair.

"Which side?" Blair asked, still keeping an eye on his surroundings.

"What does it matter?" the bundle by his feet gasped. Its head moved slightly, taking stock of the new situation it had found itself in.

Blair shrugged. "Depends on how seriously you're hurt."

The bundle rose slowly and turned to look at Blair. His sword had been lying by his side, hidden from Blair's view, his arm was all red from blood the makeshift bandage was trying to hold inside him and a side of his head was bruised and bloody. But what held Blair's attention most was the tattoo of a sentinel on the man's forehead and spreading to the bridge of his nose. It could be clearly seen from amidst hair, bruises and clotted blood.

A sentinel. As a mercenary. On his own.

"Where's your guide?" Blair took another look around. Sentinels were rarely on their own.

The man snorted. "That's what they all ask. Always."

Blair raised his eyebrow.

"He took off with another. Said I wasn't the one." The man tried to keep the hurt from his voice, but it was still there.

"If he left you, he was telling the truth. A true guide doesn't leave his destined sentinel." It was a fact of life, one of the few certainties in life.

"Right," the man said sarcastically, with venom. The blue eyes were filled with bitterness.

"You'll find out for yourself one day," Blair said with certainty.

A scream louder than others slashed through the air. It startled Blair out of his contemplation of the sentinel.

/Why am I standing here talking to some mercenary?/ Blair looked at the mercenary who was holding a scarf to his arm and trying to even his breathing. He was a sentinel, a guideless sentinel. Blair could use a sentinel in his command, and the man was not bad to look at. In fact, there was a classic beauty about him. /Wouldn't mind him warming my sleeping furs./

The man looked at him with suspicion. Blair had not tried to hide his thoughts, as he was not in the habit of lying to his bedmates. It might have been a whim or destiny, but Blair could afford whims.

"I know a decent healer, he could have you stitched up," Blair offered, his mind made up.

"And?"

Blair shrugged. "You could join my command, as a sentinel scout."

"That's all?" the man asked, clearly convinced that that would not be all. And he was right in his suspicions.

"No," Blair said. He did not offer any more explanations, and none were needed.

The mercenary thought about it for a few seconds before nodding his consent. It was not as if he had much of a choice. As a guideless sentinel any band would scorn him, except those with a sentineless guide. A guide who could refuse to have him.

"I'm called Jim, of Ellir."

"I'm Blair, of Cascadia, commander of the 7th unit in the Southern Avarian troops."

***

The healer, a dour old man with two apprentices, was pretty good. By sundown Jim was feeling like moving his head and arm might be good ideas. The bruises were healing well on their own.

Jim was keeping an eye on the doorway to the healer's large tent so he was the first to notice the large black man with an axe by his side as he entered. The man walked to the healer and asked him something. The old grey bearded man pointed at him.

/Looks like the commander wants to know how his new sentinel is doing./

Jim sat up on his blanket as the large man walked toward him. He carefully sidestepped the other wounded and injured, looking at everyone and greeting most of the soldiers.

"I'm Simon, of Riverbank, the second-in-command of this company," the large man stated, looking at him and sizing him up.

"I'm Jim, of Ellir." Jim kept his voice calm and non-confrontational. Time enough to make new friends or enemies later. Right now he did not even know who would be his guide.

Simon nodded. "Commander Blair wants to see you."

Jim rose and followed Simon out of the tent. There were dozens of tents erected in the clearing. The 7th unit's tents were situated to the left of the main army and toward the hills dotting the roots of the mountain.

Simon walked to the left and slightly behind him, steering him toward a large tent by an old oak. The only tent with guards outside it in the small tent town.

Simon nodded to the guards and raised a tent flap for the sentinel. They stepped inside.

The inside of the tent was a single open space with a fireplace dug into the middle. There was a small foldable table and a few simple chairs around, and soft silk carpets. Jim looked down at the carpet he was stepping on. He could have bought a farm with the price of it. He glanced at the two large oaken chests. The other one was open and he could see the books and parchments it held. A fortune if you knew who to sell it to. Wealth and knowledge combined, neither of them flaunted.

"The sentinel you asked for, commander." Simon's dark voice was surprisingly soft by his ear.

"Good." Blair folded the map and placed it inside the book chest. He locked the chest and looked at Jim.

"You're feeling better?" he asked after a moment.

"Yes. You have a good healer with you."

"I know." Blair studied him. "Will you stay or leave?"

Jim had not expected such a direct question. "I'd prefer to stay," Jim managed to reply without stammering.

"Why?"

"You have a large command here, and you seem to be treating your men well."

Blair nodded and sat down on a nearby chair. "They do well and bring me honour, I treat them well. If they fail or betray my trust, they're no longer mine. The punishment depends on the severity of the breach of trust."

"I understand."

"Good. Now, what are your strengths as a sentinel?"

"I haven't had much formal training as a sentinel, but I've been working as a mercenary and a sentinel scout for years," Jim told him, trying to sound as confident and convincing as possible. "I'm a quite good hunter and tracker. I'm better with a bow than a sword, but I don't have my old bow anymore."

"Your untrue guide kept it?" Blair asked pointedly. Everything that was the sentinel's was the guide's, but not the other way around. Jim's old guide could have kicked him out with nothing, or given him to another guide.

Jim bit his lip to keep from reacting harshly to the comment. "I had a temporary guide for a few years before him. After he left, I paired with that one. He let me keep my sword, and the clothes on my back."

"You were in the town hoping to get a horse or at least some bounty." It was a statement, not a question.

Jim nodded.

"I'll be your guide from now on," Blair stated, watching him, daring him to protest.

Jim was startled. He had not expected the commander to be his guide; it was usually a lieutenant or a scout captain. He had expected to be given to Simon.

Jim remained quiet, no need to start causing trouble so soon. He did feel a bit disappointed; he'd be truly apart from the troops. He'd be a sentinel scout and the commander's bedmate, add to that the commander being his guide, and it added to 'someone else', 'someone apart'. Might be good points to it, too. He wouldn't be under anyone else's command, and he would not have to hop between two beds.

Commander Blair nodded, satisfied by the sentinel's silence. Blair signalled for his second-in-command to leave them. Simon bowed and left without a single protest.

"Put your weapons on the fur rug behind you," Blair told his sentinel.

Jim took off his weapons belt and put them on the bear rug. Trying his best to move slowly and show off his best assets, so to speak.

"Boots and vest."

The worn boots and the old leather vest were put on top of the weapons belt.

"Tunic and pants."

Those joined the other items already lying on the rug.

Jim stood naked in the warm tent. His new guide was looking at him with fire in his eyes. /At least I won't be put aside anytime soon./

Blair rose and walked over to him. As soon as they were within kissing distance Blair grabbed his head and pulled him slightly down to be able to kiss him roughly. Jim stumbled and put his hands on his new guide's hips to keep himself steady on his feet.

"You taste good," Blair whispered to his ear after the kiss had ended.

"Glad to hear," Jim said a bit breathlessly.

Blair steered them toward the sleeping furs as he nibbled and kissed Jim's face. His teeth and mouth wandered and explored his new sentinel. Jim decided to go with the flow and let his new guide do the work. It looked like the best course, and he had to admit that the commander knew what he was doing. Jim was beginning to enjoy the attention.

"Lay down on your back," Blair commanded after a lengthy exploration.

Jim did as he was told, glad to be off his shaking and wobbly feet. He settled himself on the furs and opened his legs in invitation.

Jim watched as Blair undressed, without ever taking his eyes off Jim for more than was absolutely necessary. The commander was well built, with fewer scars than Jim would have expected.

"Like what you see?" Blair asked grinning.

Jim looked at him, trying to find a hint of how to answer. He only found wry humour, and passion.

"More than I thought I would," Jim answered, going with his gut feeling.

Blair laughed. "Well answered."

Blair put his clothes and weapons on top of the book chest, out of Jim's reach. The guide took a small oil flask from a saddlebag and walked to the sleeping furs. He put the flask by reach and lay down on top of Jim, settling between his legs.

Jim winced as his bruises protested at the extra weight on them. Blair ignored it and started to caress him. The hands seemed to get everywhere. Jim tried to steer them from the more bruised parts, but with no real success. To his surprise, Jim found himself liking the rough treatment. He never had before, not with the others. /Could it be we are meant for each other?/ He doubted it. Sentinels usually found their guides early on and he had been wandering on his own for years. It was just sexual attraction no doubt.

Blair rose to sit on his thighs and reached for the flask of oil. Jim looked at his cock. It was larger than his previous guide's, or maybe it just looked larger. Blair put a hand under Jim's hip and directed him to raise his hips and butt up, to lie on Blair's thighs. Blair started to prepare Jim, while continuing to caress his stomach and thighs with his other hand. He smiled as Jim's cock hardened even more.

Then with little warning beforehand, Blair entered his new sentinel with one stroke. Jim gasped. It hurt.

Blair stayed put for a few seconds, enjoying the sensation of being inside Jim. He started to fuck Jim with even thrusts, picking up the pace steadily. Jim could feel the hurt transforming into pleasure. He tightened the hold of his legs around Blair's waist, urging him on. Jim could feel Blair's orgasm drawing nearer.

Then Blair took hold of Jim's cock and Jim came at the touch of sword-hardened hands. Blair followed him to the pinnacle and beyond. The guide withdrew from his sentinel and collapsed beside him.

Jim looked at his new guide. His previous guides had not cared about his pleasure. /He's treated me well, so far./

Blair rose to grab the blankets. Jim wondered briefly if he would be asked to leave, but Blair nudged and pulled him to lie on top of him. Jim settled on his guide. /Looks like I've gotten lucky. It would be about time, too./ He fell asleep to the sound of his guide's heartbeat.

***

Blair woke up still holding his new sentinel. He looked at Jim's head on his chest. /If he's as good a scout as he is a lover, I'll definitely keep him./ He shook Jim's shoulder lightly.

"Yes?" came a drowsy query from a mouth by his right nipple. "Would you like some tea?"

"Know how to make cha?" Blair asked.

Jim raised his head to look at Blair. "Yes, the nomad way and the lighter version preferred by the traders."

"Good, I like the nomad version." Blair released Jim and stretched.

Jim rose and looked around as he put on his old leather jerkins, sniffing to find the jar of cha.

Blair rose and put his clothes on, thinking about the agenda for the day. The border town was theirs, that was certain, but the border was still not totally secure. There were some bandit groups left in the mountain region farther away, but that was in Queen Alexandra's realm. They could not just march into Sentara. /Times like these, I'm glad I'm not a general./ Though he supposed half a win was better than none.

Simon came into the tent, as Jim was finishing cha.

"Smells good," Simon said to Jim after greeting his commander.

Jim glanced at Blair who nodded slightly. "There's enough for two, if you want some," Jim offered.

Simon grinned. "I never turn down a cup of cha."

"So, what are our losses?" Blair asked as Jim finished the making of cha and put the strong liquid into two of the cups he had found near the jar. It was of the better quality, not the cheap blended version.

"Not as heavy as I feared, but still too many," Simon said seriously.

They talked of what to do next, but it did not look like there were that many choices. The bandits had been more or less rooted out, for now. The rest depended on the Sentaran forces. General Mikel had decided early on in the campaign that he was not going to risk another war.

About an hour later a messenger from the general came into the tent, announcing a meeting of commanders in the general's tent.

***

General Mikel may have been getting on in years, but there was nothing wrong with his body or mind. As many ambitious younglings had found out.

"May I begin by stating the obvious? We are. Not. Going to invade Sentarla." A pair of keen grey eyes toured the various faces of commanders. The old general nodded satisfied as no one objected his decision. "Now, to the bone of this meeting. Carol and Blair may take their troops directly back to their assigned regions, Mikra and Alban will go the indirect route and take stock of the situation in the neighbourhood while Welti will stay behind for a while to help the local garrison. Any questions?"

There were several, of course, but they were mainly of practicalities. Blair tuned out most of the chatter and haggling, his orders were clear enough. They'd be going back to their garrison, and to domestic problems. Smaller, true, but just as important. Blair hoped the dispute between the two trade families had not escalated yet again. He shook his head. /Save it until you're actually there./

***

Jim was sitting outside the tent, mending Blair's cloak as Blair returned.

"How did it go?" Jim asked softly as Blair sat down beside him on an old carpet.

"We're going home, by a straight route. You'll hear more about it once Simon gets here." Blair had sent a soldier to get his second-in-command. They needed to get going as soon as possible, depending on the wounded, their supplies and on the condition of the horses and pack animals.

Jim nodded. He was glad they were leaving; he just wished he knew where they were going. However, questioning Blair about it in front of the guards did not sound like a good idea. /Just have to wait until we are alone./ He could do patience. He had learned it the hard way.

***

Jim listened in as Blair and Simon talked of the preparations. They were eager to get back home. They would leave the border area and travel down to Riverarc in the heartlands, a 20 day journey. Jim had never been to the heartlands. He was born in the mountain region near the border and his guides had been travelling the border area or the western regions. He had heard of the fertile lands and was looking forward to seeing them.

***

"So, you must be curious about where we are going," Blair commented as Jim was clearing away the remains of the evening meal. It was his duty now. The cook's prentice had been more than happy to be relieved of it.

"Of course I am. I've never been to the heartlands," Jim said. "And there's not much I know about you."

"True enough," Blair admitted. He thought for a while. "They're field lands, grain, fruits, vegetables and trading of it are the main livelihoods. We're stationed about 3 days from Cascade, by a trade route. We're there to keep off the bandits and keep the peace, and to administer justice with the local lords."

Jim looked at Blair who was sitting on a floor cushion as he put together the remains in a bowl to give to the dogs. He thought about how to best phrase the next question.

"Your co-operation with the local lords, it goes well?"

Blair grimaced. "As well as can be expected. Lord Brackett is more level-headed than most."

Jim nodded. He rose and exited the tent. The guard dogs were eagerly awaiting the treats. Jim put the bowl on the ground by a tent peg, out of the way.

"Now, don't gobble up everything at once." Of course the dogs did not listen to him and practically attacked the meat strips and fried vegetables as soon as he snatched his hand away.

The guards looked on amused.

Jim returned to the tent. He would go pick up the bowl in the morning.

"And what about you, my guide?" he asked as he cleaned and stored away the bowls used in the evening meal.

Blair laid down on his back. "Not much to tell. Mother a priestess; father a trader's son. He did not marry her, but he does acknowledge me."

Jim nodded. His guide's father sounded like a good man.

"How did you become a commander?"

Blair concentrated on the roof of the tent for a while. "Come here," he told Jim.

Jim went to lie beside his guide. Blair pulled him to his chest and kissed him, ending the conversation, for now, but Jim would not give up this easily. It would take time, but he would find out more about his new guide's background. Piece by piece, if need be. /If I have the time, that is./

***

Jim saw to the packing up of Commander Blair's tent and belongings. There was not that much for him to do, as the soldiers were old hands in all aspects of warfare and campaigning. They knew what to do and how.

Jim rode to the head of the troops as the march home started. Blair was riding with his officers in the main group. His guide was issuing orders for the day as Jim arrived.

"You're just in time," Blair told him. "This is Captain Joel, he's in command of the scouts," Blair said pointing to a gentle looking large man in ranger's clothing. Jim nodded his head at Joel, not bowing since he was not under the captain's command.

"We could use a sentinel to broaden our range, my lord," Joel said to Blair.

"Not yet," Blair said, and moved on to other matters.

Jim wondered why Blair would not want him with the other scouts. Did his guide not trust him? How could that be, a sentinel was unable to betray his guide.

Jim still thought about it as he was getting their sleeping furs. Maybe it was the others Blair did not trust. His guide had kept him by his side the whole day, even during the midday break.

Simon came by as he was laying down the furs and blankets by the fireside.

"Lord Simon," Jim greeted him.

Simon nodded to him in greeting. "There is something I'd like to ask you, sentinel, but I am unsure how."

"Usually a direct question is the best alternative." Was Simon wondering if Blair would be willing to share Jim? But Jim had seen no sign of such desire.

"True." Simon took a deep breath. "Are you able to carry children?"

It was possible for most sentinels to carry children, but such happened only in permanent bondings as the children were the guide's responsibility, always. A guide who kicked out his children or a pregnant sentinel was heavily punished by the guide guild. Jim could understand Simon's discomfort; such matters were to be handled within a household.

"I have the seed, yes, but I have not carried any issue," Jim said calmly, not wanting to embarrass the man any more.

"Good," Simon said, clearly pleased. "Pleasant night." Jim grinned at the back of Simon as the second-in-command left in some haste. /Looks like there's been some worry about the continuation of the commander's family lineage./

***

Jim wondered during the evening meal if he should mention Simon's visit to Blair. Might be better if he did, that way the lack of mentioning could not come back to haunt him. He waited until they were under the sleeping furs.

"Guide?"

"MmmM?" Blair was holding him and settling for sleep on the blankets.

"Simon came to see me today, while we were setting the evening camp," Jim told him, as neutrally and off-hand as possible.

Blair tightened his hold. "What did he want?"

"He asked if I can have children, my guide, nothing more," Jim told him calmly.

Blair was startled, then he chuckled. "Mother must have asked him to do so, in case I found a sentinel. She's been at me to provide her grandchildren."

Jim sighed silently in relief.

"So? Can you?" Blair asked after a moment.

"Yes, but I have not carried any yet."

"I know how to make the sume," Blair said quietly to Jim's hair. It was the sume that enabled a sentinel to become pregnant. The making of it required great skill and not every guide had the skill or the exact knowledge.

Blair rolled them so he was lying on his sentinel, licking his neck and jaw.

"But that's for later."

***

The next morning as they were packing up the camp, Jim was still worrying about Blair's comment. /Later, he said. Just what does that mean?/ Did Blair intend to have children by him? It sounded like it for sure, but would he put Jim aside afterwards or have their bonding blessed? Jim did not want to have children in a temporary relationship. /As if I have much of a choice,/ Jim snorted to himself. Should he just ask Blair? They had been together but for a few days. Though if Blair was serious about having issue, Jim had the right to know of Blair's intentions. /I'll ask in a few days./ By then his guide should know his own mind. Decision made, he felt somewhat calmer.

***

On the third day of their journey Blair told Jim to join the other scouts. It was time to see how good a sentinel scout Jim was, and they were far enough from the border lands for there to be no risk of Jim meeting his old guide.

Simon rode up to talk with his commander after the scouts had left.

"We should arrive at Riverarc before the summer feast, my lord," Simon commented neutrally.

Blair raised an eyebrow. "A hint? From you or my honoured mother?" he asked amused.

"Both. Children are a blessing and a duty given to us by the gods, my lord. And Jim seems like a good choice for a sentinel," Simon added.

Blair nodded. Jim knew how to behave, made good cha and could sew quite well. Blair could find nothing to complain about the nights either. /But are we destined to be together?/ To his surprise, Blair found himself wishing it were so. He liked Jim, liked to be with him.

/I'll check the bond tonight,/ Blair decided. If everything was well and in place, they could have the blessing at the summer feast.

/Wonder if I have everything I need for the sume?/

***

Jim was enjoying himself as he stretched his hearing and sight. Joel was determined to treat him as he would any other sentinel scout, for which Jim was grateful.

"Any sign of bandits or other troublemakers?" the captain asked.

"None, only a goat herder in the higher hills to the east," Jim replied.

"Good. Thomas and Monet, you ride to the left of us. Jim, you're with me. Marda and Solena, you ride to the right. Let's move out and keep our eyes open, people," Joel ordered.

Jim fell easily to the old routine. It was comforting to be a scout again, to use his senses to their limits to protect the tribe and not just the guide. Now, if he only knew what Blair intended.

***

The scouts (15 in all) returned to the camp just before the evening meal. One of the soldiers had laid down the commander's sleeping furs and blankets as Jim was away. Jim checked the furs and blankets, just in case. After all, his first and main duty was to the guide.

***

The full moons were lighting the grove they had camped by. Jim looked up at the stars. As they travelled further south, even the stars would change positions, become unfamiliar. /To become familiar again?/

"Jim? Something wrong?" Blair asked from beside him.

"No, nothing," Jim answered quickly. He sat down on the sleeping furs. "I was just looking at the stars. I still know most of them."

Blair nodded. He sat down beside Jim, looking uncharacteristically nervous. "I... I want to check the bond."

Jim stared at Blair. His guide was looking at him steadily. /He's serious about this./

Jim nodded, trying to get some moisture into his suddenly dry mouth. This was the moment of truth. Either he would find himself in a permanent relationship, or be given to someone else. He doubted Blair would keep him if the bond was not there, or the spirits disapproved of them.

Blair put his hands on either side of Jim's face and started to chant softly.

***

Jim opened his eyes to see a blue tinged forest. He was sitting on a fallen log covered with moss. It was quiet, too quiet to be real. There were no animals or birds to be heard.

Then he heard soft paws treading on a leaf-covered ground. His spirit animal had been sitting on its haunches beside him, but now it rose to stand on all four paws. The dark mountain cat's whiskers quivered in excitement.

A large grey wolf came into view. It morphed into Blair, a naked, predatory Blair in full guide mode. The guide rose slowly and stalked toward him. Jim was nailed to his seat, unlike the cat. His spirit animal walked over to Blair and circled around the guide, rubbing against his feet and purring, before it slunk out of view.

/Well, the spirits approve of us,/ he thought idly.

Blair sat down to kneel between his legs and pulled his face down. The kiss was rough, tender, possessive and nurturing, all at once. Jim could feel the brush of Blair's mind in his.

Theirs was a true bonding.

***

Jim came back to the real world to find himself lying under the sleeping furs with his guide on top of him. Somehow they were both naked. Jim would have to ask Blair later how he had managed that. Then Blair put his oiled fingers into Jim and all rational thought left him.

The guide truly claimed his sentinel that evening. As several people in the vicinity could no doubt attest to as Jim was anything but silent.

Jim lay on the sleeping furs, holding his guide in his arms. Blair was still breathing heavily after their lovemaking.

"I could ask mother to bless our bonding at the summer feast," Blair said softly to Jim's neck.

"I'd... like that," Jim said. It might have been mushily romantic to have the blessing at the summer feast, but so what. He was entitled to some romantic notions.

Blair rose to look at his sentinel in the eye.

"Would you like me to make the sume before or after the blessing?" he asked quietly.

Jim thought about it. They were destined, he knew that now, but old suspicions do not die that easily.

"After," he said.

Blair thought about it for a while. "I'll make it for that day."

Jim nodded, and tightened his hold on his guide, his destined guide. He had found him at last.

***