Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
1,066
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,550

Guide instincts

Summary:

Changes happen whether you want them to or not.
Submitted through the Makebelieve_Squidge mailing list.

Work Text:

 

 

Notes: written while in a nasty mood
Disclaimers: They belong to some corporation, not to me.

***

Hurts.

Pain flowing in him.

He tried to concentrate on something else. Wet concrete under him, wetness seeping through his clothes. Smell of oil and wet steel, left-overs from lunches and wet cardboard. Rain. Gentle drops on his face.

"Jim!" Worried voice, frantic hands. "Oh my god! Please, be all right. Pleaseohplease." Beep of cell phone. "An officer down, need an ambulance fast. Address ??""

Darkness embracing him.

***

Hospital smells. Bright lights. Needles poking him.

Blessed sleep.

***

He woke up in a hospital bed. Life-keeping machines were beeping and humming beside him. He could not see his guide.

He extended his hearing. Nothing. Smell told him his guide had visited some time ago. Probably went to sleep. That must be it.

Still sleepy.

***

Next time he woke up it was day time. Light was streaming through the windows. He could see Blair sitting on a chair beside his bed. Jim tried to move towards him. He couldn't.

"Blair?" Panic creeping in.

"You're awake. I was getting ready to call for the doctor." His guide moved his chair closer to the bed. "Okay, now just relax."

"Blair." A growl.

"I can see you're getting ready to panic. Just relax and I'll tell you what's going on." A note of steel in the voice.

Jim sighed and closed his eyes, doing his best to relax. To let go of the seed of panic.

"Good. Now, we followed the perp into the old warehouse. Somehow he got behind us and shot at you. I shot him." Jim nodded. Blurry memories were coming back. "You've been in the hospital for a day." Blair swallowed through a dry throat. "There's some damage to your shoulder, but nothing that won't heal."

"My legs?"

"Nerve damage on your left side. With luck and heavy therapy you might gain some movement in your left leg. But there's nothing wrong with the right one."

Jim could feel panic and fear coiling and moving inside him. Blair held his hand tightly.

***

Home.

Jim was finally released from the hospital. There had been no improvement with his leg. He was getting desperate, and irritated. Blair had been there for him as much as he could. Encouraging him, not letting him fall into depression. He was glad Blair had stayed.

"How about some soup?" His guide asked from the kitchen. He was checking the contents of the fridge.

"Sounds good, but I think I need a shower first." He had had enough of hospital showers and sponge baths.

"I'll help."

"Sandburg, I can do it on my own." Jim was getting annoyed with the way Blair was always there, always helping and advising.

"I know you can, but that was in the hospital. This is home. Different environment, different situation. I'll help you the first time. I'll check what we'll need at the same time." Blair stated, steering him towards the bathroom.

As usual nowadays, Jim gave in, though far from graciously. He had learned it was easier that way. They had shouted, quarrelled, fought and in the end Blair had stayed by his side and had done as he pleased.

Blair saw to it that everything was going well, then went to prepare some lunch.

After the shower, Jim sat on the towel on a toilet lid. Thinking. He had been given an instruction booklet about the exercises he needed to do. He still had to go to therapy once a week, but there was not much hope. He'd be a cripple the rest of his life. A cripple.

He swallowed back tears. Cripple. He had always been proud about being able to take care of himself. He liked running, liked to be able to control his body. Now his body was out for revenge. He would never run again.

He fidgeted with a towel.

People would always see the injury first, him second. If they bothered seeing him at all. He could imagine how Carolyn would react. She had always been so graciously helpful. So ... ready to lower herself to help the less-perfect.

Jim felt tears ready to fall.

Blair opened the door.

"Jim?"

"Nothing. I'll come in a minute."

Blair walked over to him.

Jim looked at him. He saw nothing but sincere concern, and love.

He hugged Blair. And buried his face into the curls letting the tears fall.

Blair just held him.

***

Jim could not go back to his old work, so he decided to become a consultant. His father was eager to help him get started. He wanted to get closer to his sons, to become a part of their lives. Blair stayed as a detective. He was doing great on his own. Jim felt like his life might be getting back to normal.

***

Blair came home all wired up after a major bust. Jim ordered for takeout as Blair soaked in a hot bath.

It was great to watch Blair tell about the arrest. He was so enthusiastic. It was almost like before.

After eating, they settled on the couch with a couple of beers. TV was creating background noise. Jim told about his projects, Blair shared the latest gossip from the station.

Jim felt good, mellow.

Blair was staring at him. Leaning toward him. Jim leaned away, unsure. Blair followed.

Blair was kissing him. The kiss was sure, unhesitant.

Jim loved Blair, he knew it. But... To have a relationship with his guide, best friend and anchor to reality. Blair would be everything to him. The thought scared him.

Blair opened his zipper and put his hand inside.

"Blair! I dont't ??""

"Sshh. It's all right. Just let go of your fears. Relax and enjoy."

An easy command to follow as Blair kissed him again. His hand was creating wonderful feelings in Jim. Blair's taste exploded in his mouth. It was bliss.

His guide helped him upstairs.

***

Jim woke up with his guide snoring beside him. He was feeling sore, and great. Last night had been familiar, earth shattering, blissful. Blair loved him and would never leave him. He nuzzled the curls on the pillow next to him.

***

Blair whistled as he drove to the station. Everything had gone smoothly. His sentinel was truly his now, all his. He smiled.

***

End?