Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
5,442
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,497

Double Trouble

Summary:

John Sheppard has a brother who comes to Atlantis.

Work Text:

Double Trouble
by Keikokin
keikokin@gmail.com

Dr. Elizabeth Weir paced around her office as she took the incoming call over her headset. Her hands were clasped tightly behind her back. Blinking and nodding at the information query she was receiving, she sat before her computer doing a quick scan of the ship's data stream she'd received. A smile spread across her face at the manifest she was reviewing and a sigh of relief escaped her lips. Many of the items they were in dire need of were sitting in the storage bays of the Starship. They were only a day out of range, if that. Clicking off her headset she transferred the information to her Palm and headed off to make several people in Atlantis very, very happy.

She spotted Major Sheppard in the gym and flagged him down. "Hi, Elizabeth," the Major smiled in his usual friendly fashion. "Everything okay?"

Elizabeth smiled back. "I thought you might want to see this." She handed over her Palm and watched him scroll through the list of incoming military personnel and supplies. He nodded appreciatively at the supplies. Ammunition was running dangerously low. "The new personnel are in the next file down," she craned her neck, trying to check he was still on the same menu, as she pointed out the manifest.

"Okay," John acknowledged and started to scroll through the relevant list.

His mouth drew into a tight line, one Elizabeth knew all too well. "Major, is there a problem?"

He exhaled abruptly, his eyes briefly flicking up to her face. Glaring sightlessly at the list, he couldn't muffle the angry grunt that escaped his lips.

Elizabeth's mouth twisted with concern, "Please come with me, Major." She led him to her office and took her seat at the desk. Major Sheppard still looked upset, and he sat down with an air of resignation.

Leaning forward in a manner designed to encourage trust, Elizabeth steadily held his gaze. Prompting him to open up, she asked, "Okay, John, what's wrong?"

He slid the Palm toward her with one name highlighted. She kept her gaze upon him, only breaking eye contact for a moment to glance at the name. "Captain James Sheppard is related to you I take it?"

"You could say that, though I'd rather forget about it myself." John growled.

"Major, if this is going to be a problem I need to know right now." Elizabeth warned him quickly in her sharp and authoritative tone.

"Then consider yourself warned. They're probably sending him to me because no one else wants to deal with the bastard," John snapped.

Elizabeth blinked, unable to hide the slight widening of her eyes. Sitting back, she fixed him with a stern look, "I think you'd better tell me the whole story."

John folded his arms and Elizabeth knew it was going to be like pulling teeth to get the man to open up. She stood and walked around the desk, perching on the edge. "John, whatever you tell me will remain in confidence, but you know I can't risk this causing a problem."

She watched the Major's face, the evidence of his internal debate playing clearly across his features. He sighed audibly and scrubbed his hand across his jaw. "Yeah, I know, Elizabeth. Let me put it to you this way. If you took the very worst of McKay, Kavanagh and the Wraith, and rolled them up into one person, you'd have my brother."

"Your brother?" Elizabeth's shock was visible. "You never told me you have a brother."

"Because I enjoy life and dwelling on that bit of information kinda takes the shine off things." John's tight-lipped anger radiated off him and Elizabeth was curious as to what could possibly have unsettled this normally very-together man sitting in front of her.

"Come on now, John... he can't be that bad."

"If we were on the Enterprise and I was really Kirk, like McKay keeps accusing me of, I'd have shields raised and the photon torpedo's locked and ready to fire. And the ship would be in a state of Red Alert," John groused.

Elizabeth laughed, "You must be exaggerating. No matter what's happened between you two, you're still family." She grew serious again, "Besides that, as his Commanding Officer, I want you to be sure this issue of yours remains private. But if you want him gone, and you can find a valid reason to send him away, then I'll do it, John. I want you to know that. However, I have people that I have to answer to, so I must have a legitimate reason to send him packing." She leaned over conspiratorially, clutching the corner of the desk, "Or I'd have sent Kavanagh, and possibly Bates, packing a long time ago."

A slow smile crept across John's face and Elizabeth smiled back, feeling better. She slipped off the desk and returned to her seat. "Personally, I've been hoping to dig up some dirt on you." John held her gaze for several seconds, one eyebrow lifting subtly. Then, in acceptance of the unspoken dismissal, he stood and sauntered toward the door.

He was almost gone, when Elizabeth added, "I just hope I spot him before McKay does..."

"Oh, it shouldn't be too hard," John responded enigmatically.

"Strong resemblance?" Elizabeth chuckled.

"You could say that," John mumbled and continued out the door. He stormed back to the gym where he proceeded to take down four Marines and Teyla... twice.

* * *

John couldn't get to sleep that night, at least not for long. He dreamed about all of the dirty, rotten, and low down tricks his brother had played on him when they were kids. Then he began to have nightmares about the havoc Jimmy would cause while in Atlantis. He woke up again, in a cold sweat and read a bit of War and Peace to take his mind off things.

And the next time he managed to fall asleep, he didn't dream about his brother... he dreamed about one Dr. Rodney McKay. These particular dreams had been happening with increasing frequency, and John had recently come to admit to himself that he had a crush on the man. He didn't know why, for the life of him, since he could never approach Rodney about it. Not unless he wanted his teeth handed back to him on a platter.

But at night, it was dreams of Rodney that filled his mind with thoughts and desires that would lose him his career back on Earth. Fortunately he was too far away from Earth for it to matter much, if anyone did find out. He suspected Teyla had guessed his secret, but he knew that if Ford ever found out, he would think he'd gone crazy, or... well, that was about it, really. And maybe Ford was right. Nevertheless, he rolled over and hugged his pillow tightly, thinking of McKay's incredibly blue eyes and fell into a happy, contented slumber.

* * *

The next morning, Major Sheppard headed for the mess hall, grabbed some fresh coffee (or at least what was passing for it) and went straight to Rodney's lab. Rodney was slumped over a laptop with his head cradled in his arms and John couldn't help but smile. He put down the coffees and looked around surreptitiously. When he'd assured himself that the coast was clear, he leaned down and placed a kiss on Rodney's forehead, then whispered, "Rise and shine, O Genius Mine."

"Mmm, with a rhyme that terrible, that had better be coffee I smell," Rodney grumbled.

"I wouldn't dream of waking you without it," John chuckled wryly. He seemed to have gotten away with the kiss.

"Major, I do believe being around me is beginning to improve your intelligence. What little there is of it, anyway..." Rodney replied, snapping up the cup of coffee with one hand and sweeping the other over his face.

"You know, Rodney, that may be the nicest thing you've said to me," John teased.

Chuckling, Rodney answered, "I wonder if anyone in this city realizes that if something were to happen to me, your insurmountable ego would take over."

"Gee, Rodney, that's practically two. If I brought you another cup, we'd be going steady before you knew it." John smiled crookedly, his heart racing in his chest.

"Hmm, you never know... might not be too bad. At least I'd have something close to intelligent conversation." He looked at John expectantly. "Hello, second cup?"

"You betcha," John took off at a brisk pace for the Mess Hall, happiness surging through him. He made it there and back to Rodney's lab in record time.

"Hmm, impressive time, Major. There's hope for you yet," Rodney said with a sarcastic kind of glee, taking the two cups John held in his hand. "What is this, padding your chances?"

"Ah, that's my genius, got me figured out already," He took a hesitant step forward, closing the space between them.

"Well, of course, how could I not notice such blatant flirting?" Rodney remarked breathlessly, his eyelids drifting down a little. John was a heartbeat away from kissing Rodney, his breath coming fast and shallow, when he was interrupted by the sound of someone speaking.

"What is it we are working on today, Rodney? Hmm?" It was Radek. John jumped back guiltily and Rodney let his eyes close, his head falling forward abruptly in frustration. Then he turned and snapped at the Czech, watching as Major Sheppard made a tactical retreat, missing the rest of the conversation.

"Whatever the hell it was you were working on yesterday!" Rodney spat over his shoulder. He turned back but John was gone. Rodney sighed, "Damn."

"Something is wrong, Rodney?" Radek asked. "I didn't mean to interrupt."

"Well, you did. Not that there was actually anything to interrupt," he sniped. "He's so..." Rodney vaguely waved a hand about, "skittish for a military type, don't you think?"

"Perhaps he is worried for his career?" Radek offered, stealing one of the cups of coffee while Rodney was distracted. He was surprised when he got away with it and realized there was a lot more to this. "Tell me, are you really ready to deal with hiding behind closed doors? Does he mean that much to you?"

"Yes, well... It doesn't really matter now, does it?" Rodney groused and left the lab, leaving his a cup of coffee behind.

Radek watched him go. "But it does, because you love him, my friend." He shook his head and claimed the second cup of coffee for himself.

* * *

John stood on the balcony, fighting his emotions, as he watched the new recruits come through the Stargate with their supplies. His face was unreadable and he could feel the silent scrutiny of the woman standing beside him, trying to assess his state of mind. Weir was expecting problems and he was sure that Jimmy wouldn't let her down. He was unable to suppress a faint surge of hope when his brother didn't appear, but then right before the gate closed, the last man made it through. Just like when they were kids, they could always sense each other and this was no exception.

Jimmy jerked his head up, looking straight into his brother's eyes and Elizabeth gasped as the shocking truth hit her . Why hadn't John said something? They were brothers... one bearing an attitude of both confidence and insolence, while the other stood wary, considering the impact of this arrival on his position as Leader of Military Operations. And they were identical twins. Identical.

"Major Sheppard?" Elizabeth ground out between clenched teeth. John knew she was angry with him for not telling her the whole truth, but she'd give him a speech and then, she'd get over it. It wasn't like it was the first time - nor would it be the last.

"I know," he turned and headed for the stairs, toward the men who'd be under his command in the months to follow.

"Major..." his brother whispered a smirk on his face as he saluted just a tad too close. John stood his ground and snapped the salute back with enough force to make his brother back up a step.

"Don't forget it, Captain," John returned with rigid control. He turned to the other men who were looking back and forth between the two. "Eyes front!" The men fell into formation. "Welcome to Atlantis. While you're here, you answer to me, but I answer to Dr. Elizabeth Weir. This," he pointed up, "...is Dr. Weir. You will treat her with the respect due any superior officer. Is that clear?" "Yes, sir," the group replied, a few looking up at the balcony curiously and back again, torn between who they should be looking at. Jimmy's attention never wavered, however. He was still trying to stare his brother down.

"Thank you, Major Sheppard. As you've all heard, I'm Dr. Weir... and yes, I'm a civilian and I'm in charge. So things might be done a bit differently around here than what you're used to back at the SGC. But rest assured, we will work together as a team. The Goa'uld might be gone, but the Wraith are alive and well. We are under constant danger every single day here in Atlantis. I expect 100% from all of you and I know you can handle it, otherwise General O'Neill would not have sent you. Please don't disappoint us. And by us, I mean General O'Neill, Major Sheppard and myself." She gave a nod and turned her attention to Major Sheppard, indicating that he was to continue with his debriefing.

"Right then," John muttered under his breath as he started to hand out room assignments and directions. Within five minutes the gate room had cleared of all unnecessary personnel, leaving the twins at a stand off.

"What, no hello for your own flesh and blood?" Jimmy asked pointedly. "I see flesh and blood all the time, Jimmy, and I don't waste time greeting it. Why should yours be any different?" John turned on his heel to leave.

Elizabeth paused in her descent from the balcony. While she knew Major Sheppard had some issues with his brother, she had not been expecting such open hostility. "Major!" she reprimanded. John turned to face her, looking almost the same way he had when he'd faced the Genii. Dr. Weir stubbornly stood her ground, despite the show of rage. "We don't have the luxury to exchange petty, sibling bickering here. Many of us would give our right arm to be able to see any family again and yours has just walked through the gate. Now let's see some mutual respect."

John exhaled sharply, before extending his hand. Jimmy met his eyes and cocked his head to the side, his mouth stretching into that infamous Sheppard smirk. Leaning forward, he reached out and pulled his brother into a firm hug, shocking the hell out of him, and whispered in his ear, "Now, won't this be fun, Bro?"

John pushed him off, "I think I could have lived without it."

"Well, I can see we need to make up for lost time," Jimmy grinned. Turning to Elizabeth he flashed his most flirtatious smile. "Dr. Weir, thank you for the warm welcome . And for helping my brother to see reason. He can be a bit stubborn sometimes. If I'm dismissed, then I'll go find my quarters."

Elizabeth smiled genuinely, "Certainly, Captain. I look forward to talking with you some more."

John made yet another sound of frustration, before storming off in the opposite direction. Elizabeth sighed. Oh yeah, there was definitely trouble in the air.

* * *

Jimmy secured his quarters and checked his watch, which was now running on Atlantean time. He realized he had about an hour to kill before he was expected at a briefing with John and the Head of Security. Figuring that there was no time like the present to learn his way around, he decided to get the lay of the land and left his quarters to see if he could locate the Mess Hall. He found it in no time and, feeling he was game enough to sample the cuisine, he made his way inside.

As he entered, a man with a firm set to his mouth and a Canadian patch on his arm flagged him down. It didn't take Jimmy long to realize that, whoever this guy was, he was under the common misconception that he was his twin brother. Seeing the ever-present opportunity for fun, he felt no hurry whatsoever to enlighten the man. Instead, he flashed a smile and settled back, nonchalantly folding his arms in front of his chest.

"Major... about this morning. Not that it was my fault because, of course, it wasn't." Rodney grimaced nervously. "Radek really needs to learn how to knock."

"Um, sure," Jimmy responded, hoping to keep the conversation going. "Though I'm surprised you didn't just lock the door with... you know," Rodney waved a hand about in the air.

Jimmy shrugged non-committally and Rodney plowed on. "You weren't wearing that this morning, were you? Did you have an off-world trip I wasn't informed of?" His eyes darted about as usual, and he continued, not giving Sheppard any time to answer. "I heard there's some new men coming this morning. I hope they bring some fresh MRE's, because I'm starting to get really desperate here."

"Fresh MRE's?" Jimmy questioned, following as the strange man headed over to a large coffee pot. This had to be one of those neurotic Geeks he'd heard about.

Rodney chuckled. "Yeah, Major. Fresh. Even I can get to a point where they're just unpalatable. I was tempted to throw my last one at that ZPM we found the other day, to see if it made it work any better. Of course, it would undoubtedly throw the variances all off and make it potentially unstable for if we ever do find a way to recharge it to its full capacity. Here," he turned and handed over a cup of coffee. "Now we're even, right? And next time, we can just pick up where we left off..." he tapered off uncertainly.

Jimmy watched with an equal mix of bewilderment and amusement, as the Geek blushed and seemed to bounce up and down on the balls of his feet, his hands shoved deep in his pockets. "R-ight," What else was he to say?

It was at that moment, that John walked in. Still smiling and giving an idiotic little wave to Jimmy, Rodney plowed right into him. How did you get..." Rodney came to an abrupt stop and with an air of dawning disbelief, he turned back to face Jimmy. The room seemed to draw away from him, followed by a feeling of encroaching darkness. His eyes rolled up in his head and he went down like a ton of bricks.

John caught him before he hit the floor...

"McKay!" John was on his knees with the scientist in his arms and he looked up accusingly at his brother. "What did you do to him, Jimmy?"

"Aww, does big brother have a thing for little men with big mouths?" Jimmy drawled back. "I didn't do a thing to him. But maybe I should if you think he's entertaining. After all, share and share alike. Right, Bro?"

John lowered Rodney gently to the floor, before lunging at his brother, but was suddenly pulled back by Aiden, who'd seen the whole thing. "Easy, Sir. He's not worth it. Let's just get McKay up off the floor, it was probably a bit of a shock. I know it was for me, but at least Bates gave me the heads up."

John pulled away, still glaring murderously at his brother and turned back to Rodney. "McKay..." He cradled him in his arms before giving him a gentle shake. "Come on, Resident Genius. Time to rise and shine."

"I think he's coming around, Sir," Aiden supplied as Rodney's eyes fluttered open. John noticed, for about the hundredth time now, just how long those lashes were, and how beautiful the shade of blue beneath them.

"Hey, McKay... You alright? I'm sorry, I guess I should have told you..." John began regretfully.

Rodney's blue eyes flashed indigo with anger, "Yes, Major, you should have. And more to the point, he shouldn't have been masquerading as you." Rodney pushed himself up on his elbows and glared at Jimmy. The Captain wisely took a step back, out of the range of that fierce look.

"Dr. Rodney McKay, Head of the Sciences Division of the Atlantis Expedition," John announced belatedly, gesturing toward Rodney. "Captain James Sheppard."

"Captain is it?" Rodney snapped. "Major, do you need Captain Sheppard at the moment?" John grinned, shaking his head. With a nod at the Captain, Rodney got up, assisted by John and Aiden. "Come along, Captain, let's show you the chair."

"John, what's he talking about?" Jimmy hissed as he was dragged to the door by his brother. John gave his best "innocent" look and sent him off with a shrug. After the pair left, Aiden and John burst into laughter.

When they finally caught their breath, Aiden burst out, "Oh man, did he tick off the wrong person on his first day!"

"Take my advice on this, Ford... Don't trust Jimmy, not even as far as you can throw him. Oh, and just in case of trouble, our password is 'Hail Mary.'" At Aiden's questioning look, John added, "As you just saw, he likes to pretend he's me... a lot!" Aiden nodded and, with a slap to the back, went about his business.

* * *

By the time the briefing for the new recruits rolled around, John was grinning, certain that Rodney would have sent his brother a firm message. He entered the conference room and Elizabeth gave him a curious smile when Rodney walked Jimmy in, as if escorting a truant child. "Dr. McKay, is there a problem?"

"Not any more... no. So, if you'll excuse me, I have a city to save!" He tossed a grin at John, then left the room.

The meeting was pretty standard and Jimmy, who'd been assigned to AR-3, would be leaving on his first training mission in the morning. After the meeting, Bates led the new soldiers away to check over security in the city. John stood and Elizabeth motioned him to stay. He looked to the doors and closed them again.

"I take it things are better between you two?" She asked hopefully, getting herself a cup of coffee.

John shook his head, as she glanced in his direction silently inquiring if he wanted one too. "He tried to pull a fast one on Rodney. After McKay suffered one of his manly faints, he keel-hauled Jimmy down to the lab to meet the chair."

Elizabeth laughed, "Did you two switch places a lot as children?"

"It wasn't so much me, as him. Jimmy always thought it was funny. But after the folks split it wasn't a problem anymore. He went with Mom. We ran into each other once, after that and I haven't seen him since."

She frowned, "That must have been hard on identical twins, to be split like that."

"For me, it was a relief. I did my best to forget about him." John stood and started to pace. "I'm not happy about him being here. It doesn't seem like he's changed."

"Give it time, John, he just got here. James will make friends of his own," Elizabeth tried to assure him. "But that's not what's really bothering you, is it?" John turned and stared at her quizzically. She smiled, "It's that he pulled the switch game on Rodney." John opened his mouth to protest, but she simply raised a hand. "I didn't ask, and you didn't tell. But good luck, Major."

John smiled and then it grew into a grin, despite his embarrassment. "Thanks, Elizabeth."

She nodded and made shooing motions with her hands and, taking the hint, John left. He thought about seeing how his brother was doing but then changed his mind and headed straight for the labs. When he got there Rodney was in a meeting of his own, so he opted to head out on one of the balconies to think.

After a while, he noticed Kate Heightmeyer had come to stand by his side. "Your brother causing you problems, Major?"

"Standard Operating Procedure for Jimmy," John sighed and tried to find some calming influence in the waves crashing along the piers.

"Dr. Weir is concerned and I see you are, too. May I ask why you haven't seen each other for so long?" She inquired softly.

"Katie," John replied.

"Yes?" she replied.

"No... her name was Katie, too. We were engaged to be married." He went silent then, looking down at the railing. "He thought it would be fun to see if she'd notice the difference between us in bed."

"And?" Dr. Heightmeyer asked in a near whisper.

"She was so distraught when she found out that she...well, we found her the morning of the wedding. Nobody knew for certain what happened. Her father refused an autopsy." John felt tears roll down his cheeks. Unsure of what else to do, Dr. Heightmeyer put her arms around the Major. He held on tightly, crying out tears that he'd thought long since dried out.

When Rodney came out of his lab, he looked both ways, hoping for some clue as to where Major Sheppard had gone. Spying the back of the Major's head out at the balcony, he walked over swiftly, stopping in his tracks when he saw Kate Heightmeyer in his arms. He felt sick. John looked up, right at that point, and saw Rodney turning away. He was about to run after him, when Dr. Heightmeyer stopped him with a hand on his arm. "I saw Rodney, too. Do whatever it takes, Major."

John ran down the hall, "Rodney! Wait up! "

Rodney walked faster and tried to ignore the pain in his chest. Finally, breaking into a run, he dashed inside the nearest transport and sealed the doors. A moment later he was on the other side of the city. He made haste to the nearest transporter again and this time wound up deep beneath Atlantis. He slumped against a wall and let himself sink to the floor, his head in his hands. "Stupid, stupid!" he angrily chastised himself, over and over again.

"You don't need him."

Rodney's head jerked up at the familiar voice. He saw who it was and moaned. "God, one of you isn't bad enough, now I have to deal with it in stereo. Just go away, Captain."

"You don't really mean that, Rodney. After all, he and I are exactly the same. Right down to the BDU's." Sheppard leaned down and kissed him.

"No!" Rodney exclaimed and tried to crawl away. But James was just as strong as John, and Rodney was soon pinned to the floor, screaming for help. Aiden was on security duty with Bates and they double-timed it to the source of the screams. They were stunned when they saw Rodney pinned under Sheppard. But it was hard to tell which one, because he wasn't wearing his jacket - which would have shown his rank. Bates pointed his gun, wondering if they should even get involved.

But Aiden knew better, he'd been warned. He put his gun straight to the man's temple, "Password, or I shoot you right here."

"Shoot, shoot!" Rodney yelled getting away and quickly standing behind Ford. Footsteps sounded loudly in the hall as the other Sheppard charged in on the scene.

Bates hit his radio. "We have a situation. All security detail converge on my position."

"Password!" Aiden yelled looking at the new-comer out of the corner of his eye. There were a few minutes of tense silence, as one brother looked at the other. Aiden cocked back the gun, the sound echoing loudly in the hall, its only competition being the gasping of Dr. McKay.

"Hail Mary!" John provided quietly, an odd stillness taking over. "Rodney, what happened?"

Rodney had pressed back against a wall. "John... It's really you?" It was John's turn to feel sick. Rodney's jacket was torn, and he was bleeding from a cut on the side of his face. "Hockey sucks," John responded softly. Rodney choked and threw himself into John's arms. John whispered into Rodney's ear, explaining everything that had happened with Dr. Heightmeyer, trying to calm him down. Aiden dragged James to his feet and threw him against the wall. Bates covered him, while James was restrained. More footsteps echoed from the hall and Elizabeth came around the corner in the company of the entire security team .

She looked wildly from one brother to the other. "What's the meaning of this?! I demand to know what's going on?"

Bates cleared his throat. "Ford?"

"Captain Sheppard was assaulting Dr. McKay, Ma'am." He gave the Captain a shove for emphasis.

Elizabeth nodded curtly. "Put him under arrest."

Ford shoved the Captain toward the other members of the detail. "You heard the lady." They quickly marched him away.

Elizabeth stood with her hands on her hips. Rodney had tried to pull away from John when she'd arrived, but John held him tightly. It was too late anyway. She looked from Ford to Bates. "Should I expect charges to arrive on my desk for anything else, gentlemen?"

"Not from me," Aiden answered quickly.

Bates frowned, looking at the Major and the Doctor. "If we were back at the SGC I'd be forced to file a report against Major Sheppard." Dr. Weir crossed her arms over her chest expectantly. "But we're not."

"No, Ma'am, we aren't. I advise that Major Sheppard provide round the clock protection for the Doctor, just to be on the safe side. Even once we get his scum-bucket brother booted back to Earth. The ship should still be in range..." Aiden smiled and slapped Bates on the back. Rodney 's relief was clear, as he sagged further into John's arms.

Elizabeth looked at John seriously. "I'm sorry. You tried to warn me and I let my own feelings in regards to family get in the way. It won't happen again, I assure you, Major."

"Thank you," John said softly and those there understood it was directed at them all. He looked down, studying Rodney's battered face, "C'mon, lets get you to Carson."

"Please... wait," Rodney choked out. John looked pleadingly at the others and Aiden, Bates and Weir moved off to check on the prisoner, leaving the two men alone. "Thank God, are they all gone?"

"Yeah, Rodney, they're gone," John whispered.

"Good," Rodney said, then pushed away forcibly. "YOU IDIOT! YOU COULD HAVE LOST YOUR COMMISSION! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? WHY!?"

John stared in shock at the rapid turn around. Then he smiled, "Because I love you, Rodney, and you mean more to me than any job ever could."

Rodney's anger seemed to crumble before him. "You what?" John stepped forward, closing the space between them. Mindful of
Rodney's injuries, he kissed him with incredible tenderness . "I love you, Rodney, and I don't give a shit what anyone says about it. Just tell me that you feel something for me in return, or else I'll leave you alone. I promise."

A smug, yet delighted, grin lit-up Rodney's face. "As if I'd be about to let you go. I'm a genius, after all, and you'd have to be a total moron not to know I love you too, Major." They kissed gently once more and then put the past behind them.


end